PDA

View Full Version : The Glades, Robina QLD

Hux
18th December 2008, 06:22 PM
Played today.
Impressions. Friendly staff, no problems with anyone at all. Regular drinks cart with the usual GC pretty girl driving :)

Buggies: Good condition. You get tees, pencil, colour course guide, divot forks etc all set to go.
No GPS though which if I was paying full rate of $130 I would be expecting. It'd good enough for Hope Island.......
That said there is plenty of markers for distance and the guide breaks down green dimensions for pin positions.

Course:
Par 72 36/36 Distance: 6431m/5876m (black/gold) AGU 74/71. 4 x Par 5, 4 x Par 3, 10 x Par 4.

Soft greens, marred by pitch marks - I guess being a public course means people feel unobliged to repair their pitch marks even though you get 2 divot forks in your cart. You can really attack the greens and most mid to short irons will stick within a metre or so.

They putt true and fast - but not unreasonably fast. I could get used to these greens and come to love them I think.

Fairways : excellent condition.
Bunkers: excellent condition.

Course Design: I'm no expert but it seems to tick the boxes for me. It has those great view holes where you can see it all unfold infront of you, hazards, green, folds in the ground etc (al the stuff we love). There are holes with tight turns, water, boundaries, plenty of variation - I didn't get that sense of dejar vous .

BUT let's not forget lots of bunkers.

Which to me is how the course has been set to be challenging - bunkers. For me the fairways were sufficiently wide (today) to be able to stay well in play with a reasonable drive, water was more an intimidator than "In Play" unless you really wanted to take the bull by the horns so to speak (call me a pussy).

Greens are well shielded by bunkers and there are heaps of strategically placed fairway bunkers to catch your stray drives.

All up its a course that rewards good play rather than punishes less than good like some (say North Lakes). Strong wind and/or a full Black Tee challenge setup would make this course extremely tough.

Overall up there with Hope Island as my favourite on the Gold Coast. I wouldn't be able to chose between them - although Hope Is is closer to home by 15 mins.

Price: This month's ISG rate of $79 makes it a bargain.

A solid 4 Gold Stars.

razaar
18th December 2008, 06:34 PM
I always enjoy playing the Glades. Is the issue with The Glades Golf Club and the Surfers Paradise Golf ongoing or dead in the water.

http://cclsr.law.unimelb.edu.au/judgments/states/qld/2004/december/2004qsc461.htm

Hux
18th December 2008, 07:40 PM
I thought I read somewhere recently that it is still a couple of years until they effect the transfer. I wonder if $35 mil is still a fair and reasonable price for SPGC given the original negotiations was 4 years ago.
Mr Yu is probably not that interested in developing land in the current market so imagine it is on the backburner for him.

AndyP
18th December 2008, 10:02 PM
The thing that stands out in my mind about The Glades was those soft greens. The pitch marks left were huge.

A really nice course, but as I type, I can't really remember any holes.

Grunt
18th December 2008, 10:04 PM
Another vote here for great track. Would like to go back there some day.

Jarro
18th December 2008, 10:07 PM
Did you see Gary Edwin on the driving range ?

Hux
18th December 2008, 10:09 PM
Hit the course cold - well as cold as you can be when it's 31*C. And who is Gary Edwin?

PeteyD
19th December 2008, 07:04 AM
Hmm I remember the 1st and the 10th. No others. The greens were very soft.

Jarro
19th December 2008, 07:38 AM
Hit the course cold - well as cold as you can be when it's 31*C. And who is Gary Edwin?

http://www.garyedwingolf.com.au/

BrisVegas
19th December 2008, 07:44 AM
Buggies: Good condition. You get tees, pencil, colour course guide, divot forks etc all set to go.
No GPS though which if I was paying full rate of $130 I would be expecting. It'd good enough for Hope Island.......

Nice that they give you a course guide, but surprising no GPS on a $100+ course. I still haven't played Glades. Maybe if I get K-Rudd's cash at tax time I'll check it out.

Hux
19th December 2008, 08:03 AM
Nice that they give you a course guide, but surprising no GPS on a $100+ course. I still haven't played Glades. Maybe if I get K-Rudd's cash at tax time I'll check it out.

Count me in. I'm keen for a return visit.

http://www.garyedwingolf.com.au/

Ohhh so him..... Wouldn't know him if I tripped over him.

PeteyD
19th December 2008, 08:06 AM
I'd like to play the Glades again. Might remember more of the course. I think some of the coast courses blend into each other and become a mish mash of resort courses. Oddly I remember quite a few holes from PM, which would seem to be at odds with it's status amoungst the courses down there.

BrisVegas
19th December 2008, 08:10 AM
Oddly I remember quite a few holes from PM, which would seem to be at odds with it's status amoungst the courses down there.

I disagree. Palm Meadows has always been a well regarded course. It was THE course to play back in the 90's thanks to the Daikyo tourney there with Jumobo and Norman etc.... 8)

sms316
19th December 2008, 08:16 AM
I disagree. Palm Meadows has always been a well regarded course. It was THE course to play back in the 90's thanks to the Daikyo tourney there with Jumobo and Norman etc.... 8)
I always thought it was the Women's Masters. Mmm... Krystal Parker :smt060

BrisVegas
19th December 2008, 08:23 AM
nah, that's Royal Pines.

peter_rs
19th December 2008, 08:25 AM
playing on the 29th sounds like fun.

PeteyD
19th December 2008, 08:54 AM

It was extremely well regarded back then. It seems to have faded now, particularly when you read reviews saying other courses are better for the $$. The closing hole is made for entertaining tournament golf. How much fun was it watching the groups come up it? (Special mention of Poidda and the ongoing punt with 69er). Of the resort courses I have played down there (PM, Glades, Lakelands, SC Palms) PM is the one I remember most. Could have something to do with the company too!

Hux
19th December 2008, 08:55 AM

There was nowhere near the number of resort courses on the coast back then though.

I do remember playing there but not the course itself...would have been in the early 90's.

sms316
19th December 2008, 09:18 AM
They hosted the PM Cup from about 88 - 93...there were 5 winners..can anyone tell me who they were without googling. The pics were on the wall in the bar.
Shark. Curtis Strange.

Dunno who else. Rodger Davis?

sms316
19th December 2008, 10:12 AM
From left field - Frank Nobilo?

razaar
19th December 2008, 10:54 AM
Ray Floyd pipped Terry Price on the 18th?

sms316
19th December 2008, 11:14 AM
Jim Benepe?

Hank Baran?

PeteyD
19th December 2008, 11:15 AM
Greg Norman won the Palm Meadows Golf Cup. Curtis Strange (USA) won in 1989; Roger Davis won in 1990. Greg Turner won in 1991. Ronan Rafferty won in 1992.

PeteyD
19th December 2008, 12:18 PM
It was a pain to find too.

AndyP
19th December 2008, 01:36 PM
I agree with your thoughts on Gold Coast courses, Petey. When you can only afford to play one occasionally, they become a bit of a mish-mash in the mind without standout holes to remember. Even if it's something cheesy like the waterfall on Lakelands 14th.

jaybam
19th December 2008, 05:14 PM
i have only played the glades once and was many years ago. I have to agree i dont remember a single hole. For this reason i would also be keen to head down there again some time :)

Hux
19th December 2008, 08:31 PM
Not sure what the protocol for organising an Ozgolf game is, but once the NY is over and things settle down I will happily organise a game for a group. I think generally they do a deal for over 20 players. I will also ask a few of the local guys if they have an IN there. Might be able to work something out, otherwise it will be wait and get a decent price through ISG.

shavey
19th December 2008, 10:40 PM
I'll organise a game for us in the new year.. i'm thinking probably late Jan when things have quietened down a tad...

Not to steal your thunder Hux but I worked in the golf industry on the coast for a few years and the Glades was one of my haunts so will hopefully get us all looked after as the ISG rate probably won't be available then ;)

Hux
19th December 2008, 10:44 PM
I'll organise a game for us in the new year.. i'm thinking probably late Jan when things have quietened down a tad...

Not to steal your thunder Hux but I worked in the golf industry on the coast for a few years and the Glades was one of my haunts so will hopefully get us all looked after as the ISG rate probably won't be available then ;)

Sounds damned good to me. All for someone else doing the organising :mrgreen::mrgreen:

PeteyD
20th December 2008, 07:33 AM
Go Shavey ;) Royal Pines has a deal for RACQ members for $68 with cart at the moment. That seems pretty good.

razaar
20th December 2008, 07:56 AM
One of the issues I have with Royal Pines is that it has become a jap golf course; I have nothing against the japs (don't mention the war) except their preference to leave the bunkers littered with their foot prints. Others do this also but it seems to be a consistent disregard for those following behind with this lot.

Hux
20th December 2008, 01:30 PM
One of the issues I have with Royal Pines is that it has become a jap golf course; I have nothing against the japs (don't mention the war) except their preference to leave the bunkers littered with their foot prints. Others do this also but it seems to be a consistent disregard for those following behind with this lot.

Yeah it's called the Jack principle. They don't give a Jack about another person behind them. There was a bit of it at the Glades the other day but not too bad - same lazy yobs that don't repair pitch marks or divots.

eddy
25th December 2008, 07:41 PM
Brad Faxon? I know Terry Price gave it a shake one year.

TheTrueReview
26th December 2008, 11:47 PM

I was there a couple of months ago playing in a foursome razaar. A Japanese guy kept accusing us (in broken English) of stealing his ball at a particular hole. I tried to get rid of him by showing him my Wilson Zip (including my sharpie pen markings on it) & he said "That my ball". I walked off & then he came up to me on the next hole & tried to give me a Nike ball & saying "That your ball". No one in my group was playing Nike. I gave him my best "p*ss off" expression & walked off.

The funny thing is that I noticed the guy had a swollen & red looking nose.
I spoke to the guys at the clubhouse after the round & they said the guy was a Japanese doctor who's a member & comes out & plays twice a year. The funny thing though was that he'd broken his nose on the course the previous day (hence the red, swollen nose). The mind boggles. Perhaps , he accused some other golfers of stealing his golf ball ....

razaar
27th December 2008, 12:29 AM
I suspect that mosts japanese golfers who holiday in Australia have never played on a golf course in their homeland and have no idea about golf etiquette. My searches about ownership of RACV resorts were unsuccessful, maybe its japanese owned.

shavey
27th December 2008, 08:24 AM
RACV is the Victorian equivalent of RACQ. They've had heaps of excess money in their coffers the past few years and have decided to use it on purchasing a few golf courses (and resorts) for the benefit of their members.

Royal Pines has an established following in the Japanese market thanks in part to the orginal owners being Matsushita Investment and Development who also own Panasonic. This was over 20 years ago when inbound tourist numbers were at all time high and they were encouraged to stay at certain properties which fed the money back into their economy.

Most Japanese who comes to Australia like to play as much as they can due to the absorbatant country club prices in their homeland. They do play but not as often as they would like but still play; albeit a lot of time on the range. Their round times are so regulated (with some courses having marshalls on each hole) that when they have the opportunity to play Australian courses, they probably want to make the most of the experience.