PDA

View Full Version : Fireball Match Play

markTHEblake
2nd December 2004, 10:56 PM
This has been bought up before, i just received the results of the last one by email, the scores from the winners were pretty horrible. Even us ozgolfers could have played better than that - even with the curse.

Check it here (http://www.theblake.net/ftp/fireball.xls) (860kb)

www.golfingliaisons.com might be worth checking out next time.

Or, we could do this ourselves with the right software.....or time.
sounds like fun.

AndyP
3rd December 2004, 08:42 AM
I got an email recently from Northlakes because they were having one. It was a bit expensive up there, but might be a bit more reasonable at other clubs.

I believe Macca has played in one or two of these, so I'll be interested to hear his comments.

Blakey, I can't see any scores on the excel link, and the other one isn't working. :?

andylo
3rd December 2004, 09:05 AM
Sorry for my ignorance... what is a fireball match different from the other normal games??

(I can't even understand what the xls (excel) file say :()

markTHEblake
3rd December 2004, 09:16 AM
Andylo - all the scores areloaded into a computer and then the computer plays knockout matchplay until there is a winner.

www.golfingliaisons.com

Andyp - The Scores of the two finalists are there, or you can just add up the hole by hole if you like.

AndyP
3rd December 2004, 09:23 AM
Andyp - The Scores of the two finalists are there, or you can just add up the hole by hole if you like.
I see a 60 and a 59 above their names, but no scores on the card. :smt102
What sort of scores did the competitors shoot?

macleod
3rd December 2004, 10:18 AM
hi guys, yup i've played in 2 of them and it was great fun.

Oxley and gailes were the ones.

Excellent fun, matchplay but you still have to hole out. still got the tension as it kind of stoke per hole plus MP.

you get matched at the beginning with someone of similar hcap level (note burglars possible :P)

at the end all the scores are entered into the spredsheet. As you are all sitting around at the end with a beer, each person's individual matches are done hole by hole onscreen so there's plenty of ooh and ahh's as you see how holes guys are up/down vs each other.

After the first round, the winners ppol is then done between matched players down to the final pair. Great fun to watch on the big screen and you can relive the agony of stuffing up critical holes :D

Peter G is a member here on the board, we could see about getting it arranged for a field of just Ozgolfers at a lower cost venue like Gailes on a Sunday arvo perhaps.

AndyP
3rd December 2004, 10:39 AM
Do you really need software to do it?
It doesn't seem that complicated.

markTHEblake
3rd December 2004, 01:39 PM
I see a 60 and a 59 above their names, but no scores on the card. :smt102
What sort of scores did the competitors shoot?

the total is at the bottom of the scorecard. time to upgrade from the 14inch screen AndyP, or your just going to have to get used to the scroll button i think.

AndyP
3rd December 2004, 02:03 PM
the total is at the bottom of the scorecard. time to upgrade from the 14inch screen AndyP, or your just going to have to get used to the scroll button i think.
:roll:
http://img12.imgspot.com/u/04/336/16/fireball.jpg

Buggered if I know what the problem is.
Does this file have any local drive references?

markTHEblake
3rd December 2004, 02:23 PM
Now who was it that said he didnt think software was needed to work out the results for the event. Now we know why.

1. Look at Screen.
2. Hold little round thing with cord hanging out of it.
3. move round thing with hand until arrow on screen begins to move.
4. locate grey bit on screen with some letters on it, A.U.T.O.P.L.AY.
5. try to set arrow on top of grey bit.
6. look at round thing, locate button.
7 press button.
8. look at screen.
9. if nothing happens on screen go to 1

AndyP
3rd December 2004, 02:40 PM
Now who was it that said he didnt think software was needed to work out the results for the event. Now we know why.

1. Look at Screen.
2. Hold little round thing with cord hanging out of it.
3. move round thing with hand until arrow on screen begins to move.
4. locate grey bit on screen with some letters on it, A.U.T.O.P.L.AY.
5. try to set arrow on top of grey bit.
6. look at round thing, locate button.
7 press button.
8. look at screen.
9. if nothing happens on screen go to 1
:smt062
Button does not work. As if I didn't try that.
I'm not one of the dills you used to speak to when you were on an IT Helpdesk. :wink:

Anyway, the results are hidden because they are the same colour as the background. So if you highlight them, you can see them.

And yes, the scores are nothing special.

http://img13.imgspot.com/u/04/336/16/fireball.jpg

And why didn't Mark win, if he gets shots on holes 4 & 12? Looks like he got ripped off to me.

CobraSS
3rd December 2004, 04:08 PM
The scores have already been adjusted to "Nett" scores I suspect.

drunken
3rd December 2004, 04:11 PM
The scores have already been adjusted to "Nett" scores I suspect.

Hence the Nett Score at the top of the columns..... :roll:

Iain I think we may need to watch Andys scoring tomorrow.....

CobraSS
3rd December 2004, 04:16 PM
Oh and if you read the column heading it says net score, geeeeeeez I can see why Blakey gets so frustrated with you PeeDiddy. :smt064

AndyP
3rd December 2004, 05:42 PM
Hence the Nett Score at the top of the columns..... :roll:

Oh and if you read the column heading it says net score, geeeeeeez I can see why Blakey gets so frustrated with you PeeDiddy. :smt064
Well gee, that explains why the sheet wasn't working. :roll:

It was just a small observation I made with a glance, after I initially posted, and as you can see the resolution is super. :smt102
You people better watch yourselves or I will start picking on your speling and punctuation? :neutral:

So anyway, thanks so much for your help fellas :roll:, but the reason it wasn't working was because of the macro protection level in excel at work.

markTHEblake
3rd December 2004, 06:39 PM
Button does not work. As if I didn't try that.

Oh Dopey me, i guess you did give an a detailed troubleshooting analysis

I can't see any scores on the excel link

then again maybe you didnt.

or I will start picking on your speling and punctuation?

hmmmmm..

markTHEblake
3rd December 2004, 06:40 PM
http://www.userfriendly.org/cartoons/archives/04nov/uf007332.gif

markTHEblake
8th May 2007, 01:49 PM
ANdyp, do you still have this spreadsheet on your computer? i dont.

AndyP
8th May 2007, 02:03 PM
I don't have it at work, and I wouldn't think that it would be at home as I viewed it at work.