PDA

View Full Version : Is Drew Morphett the Leigh Diffey of cricket commentary

Chris32
17th December 2008, 04:57 PM
Dunno about you blokes, but we always listen to the cricket at work.

I'm drawing very similar comparisons between Drew Morphett and Leigh Diffey,
both just seem way out of place in terms of calling whats going on, and both equally annoying to listen too

Anyone else reckon the same?

marcel
17th December 2008, 11:23 PM
Drew doesn't do it for me in the cricket, however...............he is infinitely better than Langer's love fest re Matt Hayden, he should just shut up and book a room for the two of them, appalling.

Fishman Dan
18th December 2008, 06:31 AM
Hands off Drew. Cricket and footy, I like his work - and he's been commentating since Diffey was a twinkle in his fathers eye.

Seeing him on Late Night Legends hosting the cricket on the ABC from the 70's is hilarious.

Fishman Dan
18th December 2008, 06:32 AM
Merry double-post!

Webster
18th December 2008, 07:51 AM
Drew used to commentate on the British Open golf back in the late 80's when he was on Ch 7! He was terrible!

sms316
18th December 2008, 08:33 AM
I remember him hosting some kind of Channel 7 AFL show which was supposedly in competition to the Footy Show.

About as funny as cot death.

3oneday
18th December 2008, 08:38 AM
Where is Skull anyway ? I miss him :(

LarryLong
18th December 2008, 08:49 AM
Anything on the ABC beats the crap out of Mark Nicholas and Ian Healy trying to talk the Symonds-Haddin partnership up as the greatest match-turning batting effort the world has ever seen.

Drew's OK, he's not annoying or offensive. Maybe sometimes he flits into boring, but that's better than fake excitement or barracking that you get from others. As for the rest, I agree with the above.

In: Skull
Out: The BNG and his constant Haydos love-fest.

Fishman Dan
18th December 2008, 09:12 AM
Where is Skull anyway ? I miss him :(

He never makes the trip to the west. I remember hearing something about the ABC's rotation of "colour" commentators, effectively meaning that Skull never goes to the WACA. Thankfully for us, we get either Terry Alderman or Kim Hughes.

sms316
18th December 2008, 09:25 AM
Does Skull just avoid longer flights? He's not the smallest fella going around.

AndyP
18th December 2008, 09:28 AM
Why hasn't Sandy Roberts been mentioned in all this commentator bashing? He's past it and adds nothing.

"It's a gem"

3oneday
18th December 2008, 09:38 AM
I hate Mark Nicholas, he's the biggest fence sitter I've ever seen.

Jarro
18th December 2008, 09:45 AM
Fleming goes ok on the ABC.

Maybe channel 9 could pinch him ?

Bruce
18th December 2008, 10:05 AM
Agree Jarro. The Bowlologist is the pick of the recent players for mine. Unless he starts banging on about beach cricket.

Chris32
18th December 2008, 10:24 AM
Drew doesn't do it for me in the cricket, however...............he is infinitely better than Langer's love fest re Matt Hayden, he should just shut up and book a room for the two of them, appalling.

Yeah I heard that bit, he did go on a bit

goughy
18th December 2008, 07:56 PM
ABC just kills channel 9. Missing skull - will never forget his gaff with Johanna Griggs..... classic skull!

Moe Norman
18th December 2008, 08:37 PM
Drew knows more about cricket that Diffey knows about Diffey

virge666
18th December 2008, 10:15 PM
Skull - Fleming Roebuck and the Indian bloke.

All good - love the ABC Grandstand.

Grunt
18th December 2008, 11:10 PM
The Indian bloke when on with Skull is pure gold. I cant remember his name but he has to be one of the best commentators of cricket out there. I remember when the shit hit the fan in Mumbai they were talking to let everyone know he was ok as he lived close to all of it.

Moe Norman
18th December 2008, 11:35 PM
Harsha Bhogle is the man whom you speak of, great bloke.

sms316
19th December 2008, 03:03 PM
Justin Langer isn't far enough removed from the Australian team to pass comment on them. If Matt Hayden ever comes to a sudden stop Langer will disappear.

Is there a reason why Nine haven't signed Skull? He used to commentate on the old Mercantile Mutual Cup games before Foxtel took over the coverage. When he used to be on At The Wicket (on C7) he used to have Gavin Robertson in tears.

WBennett
19th December 2008, 06:58 PM
I was listening to Langer this afternoon, and had to turn off.

He is absolutely abysmal - with that stupid Sandgroper accent and his tongue firmly jammed up any former team mates rectum.

Moe Norman
20th December 2008, 10:04 AM
I'm a Langer fan in general, but completely agree he should be locked out of the commentary box. His observations are dull, and he is not far enough removed from the side to cast an unbiased critical eye over any of them.

virge666
2nd January 2009, 09:35 AM
Have to agree with the Langer comments. Too close to the team to be constructive,

Healy and Slater bore me to tears.. Tubby and Warne also don't do it for me. Too much "They should be doing this" and "i don't like that" kind of thing going on.

Happy with Drew, Skull and the Bowlologist.

For some reason my CHannel 9 HD is coming through with a very faint commentary feed. Can hear the sound effects loudly - but the commentary is just not there...

anyone else. ?

goughy
2nd January 2009, 11:33 AM
Turn your centre channel on!! ;)

Otherwise, I don't know. Don't have 9HD.

Andrew
2nd January 2009, 11:38 AM
Is there a reason why Nine haven't signed Skull?

Half the ABC commentary team can’t stand him (so the channel 9 team would probably hate him as well) & they receive 10 times more complaints about him than any other ABC commentator.

sms316
29th September 2009, 02:31 PM
Disregard. Wrong thread.

Hamo84
1st October 2009, 01:51 PM
Half the ABC commentary team can’t stand him (so the channel 9 team would probably hate him as well) & they receive 10 times more complaints about him than any other ABC commentator.
Its a shame though, cos I reckon hes hilarious......