PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Putting Grip

Hux
15th December 2008, 05:46 PM
Anyone got any links or vid on reverse grip putting style?

Listening to the open and the commentators were saying that considering how bad one guy was putting he should look at moving from a conventional putting stroke. Apparently Gary Player made the comment that if he was starting again he would reverse grip as it has so many advantages.
What are they and how do you do it (other than simply swapping hands). I don't reckon I have much to lose.

Courty
15th December 2008, 06:00 PM
Considering giving the reverse grip a go myself. I tried it a few years ago for a short time. It was great for keeping the putt on target, but I struggled a little with distance control.

Eag's
15th December 2008, 06:01 PM
I have been using the reverse grip or cross handed as it is also called for years now. I had a tendency to pull most of my putts missing the low side.
The reverse grip is supposed to take the right hand out of the stroke, enabling you to keep the putter squarer to the target.
Some of the best putters in the world use it including Padraig Harrington & Jim Furyk.

mikezone13
15th December 2008, 06:46 PM
As Eags said.. I've been cross handed since a teenager (you tend to do this after getting the pulls on short putts).

It takes the right hand out of the stroke and is very good in short range, takes a while to develop the correct feel for long distance though, sometimes for a long putt I will putt conventional just to ensure I get a good strike on my putt

Minor_Threat
15th December 2008, 06:56 PM
I know a bloke who uses all his clubs cross handed! Funny sight indeed..

Plays off about 18!

haysey
15th December 2008, 06:59 PM
Another vote for at least giving cross handed putting a go.

Courty
15th December 2008, 07:08 PM

Plays off about 18!

I can think of at least 2 guys up here (one of which I played Pennants against a few years back) who do this also. I can't for the life of me work out why they stick with it as neither of them have any sort of decent control over where the ball goes. :?

mikezone13
15th December 2008, 07:16 PM
I can think of at least 2 guys up here (one of which I played Pennants against a few years back) who do this also. I can't for the life of me work out why they stick with it as neither of them have any sort of decent control over where the ball goes. :?

A guy atmy club plays off 6 cross handed and is in his late 50's.

Shot 5 under off the stick the other day for 47 stab points.

He's deadly within 100m and doesn't often leave a pitch or chip more than 1.5m from the flag.

Johnny Canuck
15th December 2008, 07:21 PM
I have been using it for about the last 7 years and swear by it.

I only putt with a conventional grip when I have to really hit one hard, or when I am well off the green and faced with a large hill up to the elevated green. I have a tough time keeping very good form when I really have to belt it.

Eag's
15th December 2008, 07:42 PM
When I first started playing this game I played the whole game cross handed, the Pro just stood there shaking his head. I asked him if I should play left handed and he just laughed and said "no, we won't do that to you"
We had a bloke at our club who played of 4 cross handed as well.

3oneday
15th December 2008, 07:53 PM
Putting is overrated.

Hux
15th December 2008, 07:53 PM
Okay whats the good oil on how to grip the club. Is there any overlap or just simply one hand below the other?

I was having a practice with no overlap and you can see it promotes a good arced swing back and through.

Any other tips on how to get the best out of it? Comeon you all said you did it just not the drum on how to make it work best.

Hux
15th December 2008, 07:55 PM
Putting is overrated.

Driver ho

mikezone13
15th December 2008, 08:01 PM
Reverse overlap for me with both thumbs straight down the shaft and hands close together

Hux
15th December 2008, 08:19 PM
So really there is nothing else to it, expect on long putts it is hard to get ball speed.

Tomorrow I'll give it a try with my 35" 2 Ball.

mikezone13
15th December 2008, 08:50 PM
So really there is nothing else to it, expect on long putts it is hard to get ball speed.

Tomorrow I'll give it a try with my 35" 2 Ball.

There are many alternatives... I've even tried a reverse claw for 3-4 rounds... now that looked weird BUT worked amazing on short putts, but anything over 10-12 feet and I was back to the standard reverse overlap ;)

3oneday
15th December 2008, 08:56 PM
Get a Broomy, works for the Aussie Open champ ;)

razaar
15th December 2008, 09:02 PM
I gave the cross-handed putting method a go but changed back to the conventional reverse over lap because of a lack of sensitivity in the left below right grip. I did notice that the left hand and arm hang in a straight line with this method and relaxed. When I reverted back to the conventional reverse overlap I have tried and continue to try to duplicate this feeling by holding my hands higher and focusing on maintaining the angle of the right wrist through the stroke. I think I even hinge the wrist a bit on the backswing and leave it cocked through the stroke. My bad stroke is a pull. I know it is difficult for me to keep the left hand and wrists breaking down through impact if my hands get low at address.

BrisVegas
15th December 2008, 10:22 PM
i've never seriously tried reverse-overlap, but i do know that the best grip is one that unites the hands together as closely as possible. For a few years I lost the plot and just used my regular golf grip for putting. I recently made an effort to switch back to a more unified conventional grip (double overlap??) and my putting has noticeable improved. Much smoother and less handsy. I'm not a great putter, but I'm getting back to something more respectable.

adlo
15th December 2008, 10:31 PM
Hux,

I had a good putting lesson the other day. The coach got me to make some putts with LH only and then RH only and see which hand naturally put the better roll on the ball. Make that your dominant hand (and put the putter in the lifeline of that hand), and then pinch the club between the thumb and index finger of the less dominant hand with the back of your weak hand facing the target.

Was an interesting version of the reverse grip. I prefer a conventional grip, but one of the guys really at the lesson gelled with this idea and started rolling it very well.

Hux
15th December 2008, 10:48 PM
Get a Broomy, works for the Aussie Open champ ;)

Let me think. You know someone with a Ping Craz-e for sale at the right price?

Hux
15th December 2008, 10:51 PM
Hux,

I had a good putting lesson the other day. The coach got me to make some putts with LH only and then RH only and see which hand naturally put the better roll on the ball. Make that your dominant hand (and put the putter in the lifeline of that hand), and then pinch the club between the thumb and index finger of the less dominant hand with the back of your weak hand facing the target.

Was an interesting version of the reverse grip. I prefer a conventional grip, but one of the guys really at the lesson gelled with this idea and started rolling it very well.

Thanks Aldo. Something to try. I reckon I will be crap with either hand :mrgreen:

One of my putting stroke failures is breaking my wrists, I think a reverse grip will prevent that.

3oneday
15th December 2008, 11:02 PM
Let me think. You know someone with a Ping Craz-e for sale at the right price?
only one with a KJ Choi grip, so then it would make this reverse handed thread redundant ;)

chappy1970
16th December 2008, 10:01 AM

Plays off about 18!

I do as well MT and he won the C Grade clubbies at my course this year!

Jarro
16th December 2008, 10:12 AM
If the reverse grip looks/feels weird to you, try the double-overlap grip .... takes the right hand right out of the stroke 8)

chappy1970
16th December 2008, 11:16 AM
Since swapping to a mallet and being troubled by poor putting recently, I have switched to the reverse grip. I have been having good results of late, but as has been mentioned I too struggle with lengthly putts.

I am my own worst enemy with the flat stick though, I gave my old Ping Zing 2 putter to my brother after buying a new putter (for no good reason i might add). This was after having 24 putts around Spring Valley one day using a conventional grip.

I'm an idiot

Hux
16th December 2008, 09:56 PM
If the reverse grip looks/feels weird to you, try the double-overlap grip .... takes the right hand right out of the stroke 8)

Better enlighten me on the double overlap grip. Pics speak a million words.:mrgreen: