PDA

View Full Version : A benefit to the financial crisis

Bruce
14th December 2008, 08:41 PM
I think I may have found a silver lining to the current economic woes.

It has been a couple of months since a cold caller wanted to offer me financial advise about leveraging the equity in my home for investment purposes.

I'm feeling kinda glad I missed out on all those golden opportunities now.

Courty
14th December 2008, 08:43 PM
Even the cold callers are out of a job.

Moe Norman
14th December 2008, 09:21 PM
what financial crisis?

Rates down, fuel prices down and the government are gicing out free money to everyone with a pulse!

3oneday
15th December 2008, 07:06 AM
Yep, best recession EVER !

amanda
15th December 2008, 11:41 AM
Rates down, fuel prices down and the government are gicing out free money to everyone with a pulse!
I must be dead then :shock: DINKS didn't get any free money from Kevin (and even if we had kids we still wouldn't qualify! :?)

Happy with the housing market taking a slump though - getting some good bargains on electrical items, tradespeople etc.

Moe Norman
15th December 2008, 01:22 PM
I didn't get any free money either, but I did get some tax cuts and they did just cut PAYG tax on SME's.

So we still get free money, just not cash in the hand.

DINKS need handouts like they need a hole in the head.

Eag's
15th December 2008, 01:29 PM
I didn't get any free money either, but I did get some tax cuts and they did just cut PAYG tax on SME's.

So you are saying all DINKS are cashed up and doing it easy?? Turn it up :roll:

senecio
15th December 2008, 02:50 PM

If the government want that handout injected back into the economy, why wouldn't they start with DINKS?

amanda
15th December 2008, 02:51 PM
I'm going to sound quite cruel here - but why cut the baby bonus for those of us on a decent wage? Surely the country needs just as many kids borne to intelligent parents as much as the ones I see huffing paint thinner and living off welfare. (I'm not saying here that smart parents = smart kids, but the chains of poverty and welfare are IMHO strong in this country)

razaar
15th December 2008, 03:01 PM
There is no upside to the current economic situation; if you are in secure employment you will probably not notice much different. But don't feel too secure, there are lots of very talented people becoming unemployed and restructuring always raises its ugly head when things get bad.

Moe Norman
15th December 2008, 03:29 PM
I'm going to sound quite cruel here - but why cut the baby bonus for those of us on a decent wage? Surely the country needs just as many kids borne to intelligent parents as much as the ones I see huffing paint thinner and living off welfare. (I'm not saying here that smart parents = smart kids, but the chains of poverty and welfare are IMHO strong in this country)High wages certainly aren't an indicator of intelligence either.

I'm not exactly a fan of any form of handouts myself, including the dole. People on the dole should just become the public service!

Eagsy - not suggesting all DINKS are cashed up mate. But if you are DINKS, then you make a reasonable joint income even if you are both on minimum wage given you only support 2 people and can live in cheap accommodation.

BrisVegas
15th December 2008, 03:33 PM
I'm going to sound quite cruel here - but why cut the baby bonus for those of us on a decent wage? Surely the country needs just as many kids borne to intelligent parents as much as the ones I see huffing paint thinner and living off welfare.

Interesting that you're linking higher wages with intelligence....:smt108

poidda
15th December 2008, 03:47 PM

ha. It's not the DINKS fault you chose to have those money hungry annoyances called children.

3oneday
15th December 2008, 04:09 PM
I'm going to sound quite cruel here - but why cut the baby bonus for those of us on a decent wage? Surely the country needs just as many kids borne to intelligent parents as much as the ones I see huffing paint thinner and living off welfare. (I'm not saying here that smart parents = smart kids, but the chains of poverty and welfare are IMHO strong in this country)dunno whether cruel was the right choice of word :lol:

I thought the more money you had the more choices you had of how to get high ? ;)

Anyway, bring on the recession. 8)

amanda
15th December 2008, 04:52 PM
dunno whether cruel was the right choice of word :lol:

I thought the more money you had the more choices you had of how to get high ? ;)

Anyway, bring on the recession. 8)

Good point - higher jobs doesn't necessarily = more intelligent.

3oneday - true that! Though I'm sure coke dealers are feeling the pinch now that financial institution bonuses are being cut :lol:

poidda
15th December 2008, 05:04 PM
3oneday - true that! Though I'm sure coke dealers are feeling the pinch now that financial institution bonuses are being cut :lol:

very good point amanda. So there's going to be an over-supply of coke in no time. And according to moe, all the DINKS will have excess cash to spend on this cheap coke?!?! Happy days ahead for some! :roll:

Grunt
15th December 2008, 06:23 PM
Wasn't the joke doing the rounds last week something about, the definition of optimisic, it is a Macquarie Finance employee that irons 5 shirts on Sunday night for the week ahead.
The top end would be hurting as much as the rest of us. if it goes to shit.
This whole thing shows how socio-economic Australian society has got. It should not matter how much you earn or where you live. Life in Australia should be just that LIFE, not this materialistic American crap that it is becoming.

AndyP
15th December 2008, 06:29 PM
There's always been different classes.

Bruce, we've had three roofing companies knock on our doors in the last couple of weeks. Sure, our roof looks crap, but they might be struggling for business.

PeteyD
15th December 2008, 07:10 PM
Wasn't the joke doing the rounds last week something about, the definition of optimisic, it is a Macquarie Finance employee that irons 5 shirts on Sunday night for the week ahead.
The top end would be hurting as much as the rest of us. if it goes to shit.
This whole thing shows how socio-economic Australian society has got. It should not matter how much you earn or where you live. Life in Australia should be just that LIFE, not this materialistic American crap that it is becoming.

A modern society is by definition socio-economic.

Why do you say materialistic american crap? Love how something we don't like about society is always America's fault.

markTHEblake
15th December 2008, 07:48 PM
Surely the country needs just as many kids borne to intelligent parents as much as the ones I see huffing paint thinner and living off welfare.

Interesting point, I was reading something somewhere recently and the claim was that the 'low end of town' families are having 3+ kids, and the high end is having <2 kids (average). If you look around the place that does seem to fit the stereotype.

Bruce, we've had three roofing companies knock on our doors in the last couple of weeks. Sure, our roof looks crap, but they might be struggling for business.

Just tell them the roof looks fine from where you stand.

Moe Norman
15th December 2008, 10:05 PM
A modern society is by definition socio-economic.

Why do you say materialistic american crap? Love how something we don't like about society is always America's fault.
don't ruin the fun, I love Grunt's rants - they almost never make any sense at all!

BrisVegas
15th December 2008, 10:11 PM
hahahah I'm with Moe on this one.

poidda
17th December 2008, 01:57 PM
http://centrebet.com/cust?action=GoSports&ev_type_id=5300

Not bad odds to stay out of a recession. If all Aussies would have a punt on this, everyone would be a winner. Everyone would keep spending, just so they collect at the end of the year. The more you gamble, the better chance you have of winning.

For all those punting critics, surely you see the light now?!?! ;)