PDA

View Full Version : Lonard's good form continues..

Fishman Dan
2nd December 2004, 09:42 AM
http://championship.pga.org.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&aid=117

Wouldn't be a bad group to follow...

Onewood
2nd December 2004, 09:48 AM
Looks to be playing pretty easy, for some anyway :D Norman -3 after 10

Nick Flanagan seems to be stugling a bit though :roll: How has he been going since turning pro :?:

AndyP
2nd December 2004, 09:52 AM
The group of Norman/Scott/Barnes are on their ninth hole.
Norman -4
Scott E
Barnes +4

Not a fantastic start by Scott.

Fishman Dan
2nd December 2004, 12:39 PM
Nick Flanagan seems to be stugling a bit though :roll: How has he been going since turning pro :?:

I think he's only made a cut or two.

Today's form is astounding?

78% GIR's with 14/18 - 5th
37 Putts - last.
+7 after 18 holes - 125th.

Eag's
2nd December 2004, 08:42 PM
Good to see Norman put a score on the board :)
Hope he is still there for the weekend, if so that is one group I will be following.

AndyP
2nd December 2004, 08:53 PM
Hope he is still there for the weekend, if so that is one group I will be following.
You are lucky I am not coming then, because I would be too tempted to sledge him.

You'd have to go have a little peek at Adam Scott though wouldn't you?

Jarro
2nd December 2004, 09:01 PM
You are lucky I am not coming then, because I would be too tempted to sledge him.

.. and why would you wanna do that for :? He's an aussie icon.

AndyP
3rd December 2004, 08:27 AM

Don't like him and I hold grudges.

He hurt me and I don't really feel like explaining it again. [-(
Do a search. :P

Fishman Dan
3rd December 2004, 08:34 AM

Build a bridge, AP, and get over it ;)

I'll listen to you whinge about Martyn, i'll stay silent when you have a crack at Langer, but you can't touch Norman. [-X [-(

markTHEblake
3rd December 2004, 09:11 AM

search AndyP + Norman = Nil

Jarro
3rd December 2004, 10:23 AM

couldn't be bothered :P

G. Norman is the man as far as i'm concerned ... flown the flag for aussie golf for as long as i can remember 8)

Hope he has a good day today at Coolum and is in contention on the weekend.

AndyP
3rd December 2004, 10:50 AM
I think Coolum is a great example of the growing gap in distance between Pro's and Amateurs. I know of no-one that thinks Coolum is an easy course. It rips me to shreds every time I play there but these pro's seem to tonk it around like its Wolly Park.
Not many people would have played it.
How do you manage to get on it all the time?

AndyP
3rd December 2004, 11:23 AM
Of course there were cheap deals involved.. 8) ...I wouldn't be too keen to shell out the $100 or whatever it is these days.
I think it is only available to non-resort players on a Thursday.

I was lucky enough to play the course on a Saturday and Sunday 4 years ago. Nice course. 8)

AndyP
3rd December 2004, 05:54 PM
Adam Scott has missed the cut. :shock: :(

Jarro
3rd December 2004, 10:03 PM
Adam Scott has missed the cut. :shock: :(

he putted so badly today ... never looked like making anything :( they were saying that he was setting up his putts with a closed putter face, and sure enough he was missing almost all of them to the left :evil:

Eag's
3rd December 2004, 10:36 PM

You'd have to go have a little peek at Adam Scott though wouldn't you?

You have got to be kidding sunshine :shock:
The man has done more for the game in this country than anybody else by a long way.

Andy at times I think you need to take your head out of your butt and think about things a bit more before you post :roll:

markTHEblake
3rd December 2004, 11:46 PM
. I know of no-one that thinks Coolum is an easy course. It rips me to shreds every time I play there but these pro's seem to tonk it around like its Wolly Park.

The irony is that Emerald Lakes is supposed to be an easy course, yet the best they could manage there was only one instance of 63. Yet someone shoots 63 at the Australian and now also Coolum. Also the cut at Coolum was 1 stroke less than Emerald Lakes.

I think it goes to show, that its the conditions that will dictate scores - not the length or difficulty of the course. If a golfer is on his game - the course doesnt matter.

McMw
3rd December 2004, 11:53 PM
just look at what happened at the Grand Slam Of Golf....

give the pros conditions as benign as it was there....they can't hide the pins anywhere....

AndyP
4th December 2004, 07:15 AM
The man has done more for the game in this country than anybody else by a long way.

Andy at times I think you need to take your head out of your butt and think about things a bit more before you post :roll:
Notice my comment is about what I think, not what the rest of your opinions are. I'm guessing you just want a forum where everyone agrees with each other. That would be a great read. :roll:

Not everyone worships the ground he walks on and everything he does. Wayne Grady and Bruce Devlin were critical of him last week, were they not?
In fact, he has his critics everytime he comes out this time of year.

A certain other poster on this site makes comments like this all the time. They get let through to the keeper. I get crucified. :?

goughy
4th December 2004, 07:42 AM

Notice my comment is about what I think, not what the rest of your opinions are. I'm guessing you just want a forum where everyone agrees with each other. That would be a great read. :roll:

Not everyone worships the ground he walks on and everything he does. Wayne Grady and Bruce Devlin were critical of him last week, were they not?
In fact, he has his critics everytime he comes out this time of year.

A certain other poster on this site makes comments like this all the time. They get let through to the keeper. I get crucified. :?

Pistols at 20 paces, what do ya say guys :P

Keep it friendly guys - we're aussies here. No need for sledging :lol:

Jarro
4th December 2004, 08:58 AM
sometimes the old "cut down the tall poppy" syndrome thing just wears a little thin.
I'd rather just concentrate on all the good things GN has done for golf in Australia. sure he's been an arse on the odd occasion :roll: , but on the whole.. the guy's done so much for Golf here.. it's pretty hard to criticise him.

in my opinion of course :lol:

AndyP
4th December 2004, 09:06 AM
Maybe that's a statement that needs to be in a few of our signatures, jarro. There has been a few little spotfires lately. :wink:

Jarro
4th December 2004, 09:14 AM
Maybe that's a statement that needs to be in a few of our signatures, jarro. There has been a few little spotfires lately. :wink:

nothing major. Just thicken that thin skin up a bit mate, you'll be fine :wink:

markTHEblake
4th December 2004, 09:17 AM
every Aussie should read the Bio written by Lauren St John. its not written from Normans favourable point of view, so you get a good appreciation of the underlying facts that have at times made him unpopular with his peers - sometimes it was justified, other times he was a human.

Whether you like him or not, its a must read. The Norman bashers will better appreciate the man, and the worshippers will see that he is not so almighty :-)

markm
4th December 2004, 07:57 PM
it was great following Norman Today, no matter what anyone says about the bloke, he still plays great golf and can draw the croud...

Two most followed groups today would have been Norman/McKechnie and Parry/Lonard,

Awesome day

terryand
4th December 2004, 09:05 PM
AndyP, just curious as to what the man has done in your eyes to want to sledge him :smt102 :smt017

Terry.

drunken
5th December 2004, 12:29 PM
I believe Andys opinion of Mr Norman has something to do with his appearance or lackthereof at the Shark Challange Final.....

Jarro
5th December 2004, 12:34 PM
I believe Andys opinion of Mr Norman has something to do with his appearance or lackthereof at the Shark Challange Final.....

thanks Drunken... we all thought it might have been for something important :roll:

Fishman Dan
5th December 2004, 01:31 PM
This is going to be a cracker of a finish.
My dough is on Lonard, though not looking likely with Estes playing so solidly (if not boringly). I'd prefer Nitties to get over the line, though his unlucky roll off the back of the par 3 could be costly.

Having said that, Estes has just missed a 6' putt. :shock:

Pavin is on fire though...

Fishman Dan
5th December 2004, 01:39 PM
Gotta say, John Senden is wearing a sensational shade of GRAPE - shirt and hat. :shock:

Jarro
5th December 2004, 02:06 PM
This is going to be a cracker of a finish.
My dough is on Lonard, though not looking likely with Estes playing so solidly (if not boringly). I'd prefer Nitties to get over the line, though his unlucky roll off the back of the par 3 could be costly.

I reckon Nitties can get up, he's playing pretty well at the moment.. doesn't seem to be overawed at all.

That man Lonard is always gonna be up there at the end.

Fishman Dan
5th December 2004, 02:27 PM
And just when you thought Estes has made a boo-boo, short-siding himself in the bunker - he chips in.

Another bird for Lonard too - and i've got to go out in an hour! :evil:

Jarro
5th December 2004, 02:34 PM
And just when you thought Estes has made a boo-boo, short-siding himself in the bunker - he chips in.

Another bird for Lonard too - and i've got to go out in an hour! :evil:

that was an absolutely awesome bunker shot :shock:

if you have to go out Fishy, set the video :wink: it's gonna be a great finish 8)

Fishman Dan
5th December 2004, 03:02 PM
if you have to go out Fishy, set the video :wink: it's gonna be a great finish 8)

Way ahead of you J-Ho ;)

Jarro
5th December 2004, 04:46 PM
great work Lonard. the guy sure does know how to get the job done on the sunday.

Nice finish from Nitties too .... a young fella with a really bright future 8)

Onewood
5th December 2004, 05:48 PM
What about Jacks comments at the end..."Lonard would have to be the form golfer of the world at the momment" :shock:

Two wins in Australia Jack :roll: but nice try :D

McMw
5th December 2004, 05:52 PM
is that back to back win for Lonard in both the Aussie Open and the PGA Champs???

drunken
5th December 2004, 05:53 PM
Two wins in Australia Jack :roll: but nice try :D
Three wins....NSW open a few weeks as well.

Would be nice to win three tournaments, three weeks in a row.

Onewood
5th December 2004, 05:54 PM
is that back to back win for Lonard in both the Aussie Open and the PGA Champs???

Yes it is.....

He's set his sights on winning all three....the PGA next week

McMw
5th December 2004, 05:56 PM
okay....I may have got it mixed up... :?

he won the Aussie Open and the PGA last year....as well as the PGA Champs???

Iain
5th December 2004, 08:33 PM
Gotta say, John Senden is wearing a sensational shade of GRAPE - shirt and hat. :shock:
Sorry mate, it wasm't grape, that shirt was definately purple..... :wink:

Fishman Dan
5th December 2004, 09:41 PM
Just watching the end to the PGA now on tape.

Estes going irons off the tee and laying up on par 5's was a soft option, and cost him the tournament. Everything else about his game was solid. I just saw his tee shot on 17 - no wonder he preferred 2-iron :shock:

Good to see Lonard win again though - he's a great winner and gracious when he does. 65 to win is nothing short of sensational. Good to see him stop to sign to gear for the fans too - a la my R7 hat at the NSW Open ;)

Estes and Nitties got stuck in a match-play situation, and Lonard came home over the top of then. Nitties looked like he had the $hits over the last 6 or so holes, but he'll learn. Look out for him in the future i reckon. Perhaps another Baddley/Scott scenario between Nitties/Flannagan.

damoocow
5th December 2004, 11:09 PM
Coolum Washup

Estes - looked over the last 9 holes like a virgin about to get his first root - a dribbling , pathetic mess .

Nitties - poor character display, fell down like a house of cards - too much thinking about Monday's headlines and not enough about just playing the game

O'Malley - glad he didn't win - sponsored by Motorola - they supply parts for landmines - responsible for death and loss of limbs of children in 3rd world countries.

Perske [and others like him] - keep your t Shirts for your faggy hip hop parties - this is golf - collars apply - death to t shirt golfers !

Senden - loks like an extra from the Thunderbirds [ 135m means 8 iron Virgil - FAB dad on my way]

Lonard - disappointing that he won - not good for ozgolf to have the same winner again - the type of guy you would try to avoid at any BBQ - oh sorry Peter what did you say .... yawn

damoocow

Fishman Dan
6th December 2004, 08:07 AM
'Nuff said! This thread is done, lock 'er up Moderator.

Who was your pick on the day Damo? I'm on the Lonard bandwagon big-time. After following his group at the NSW/Aussie opens, he's just got this look that he WANTS to win - put himself into a good spot after 3 days, and comes out on day 4 and shoots low. Not by playing percentages either, but by grabbing the big stick and having a crack!

damoocow
6th December 2004, 09:10 AM
fishman dan said :

Who was your pick on the day Damo? I'm on the Lonard bandwagon big-time.

Lonard is a robot isn't he ? - just too good at the moment - everyone else in his wake - I really thought Estes would have taken it out - didn't think Lonard was still in killer mode - Really liked seeing Pavin playing well.

damoocow

Fishman Dan
6th December 2004, 09:17 AM
Pavin was deadly with the putter for about the first 12 holes, looked like he was going to ruin the party. Estes iron-play was so good, and touch around the greens, but I lost all respect when he took irons off every tee. Surely the extra 20-30 metres he was losing every hole was just making it harder for him.

If that rain had come earlier then it might have suited better. Oddly enough, Lonard wasn't convinced that he was hitting the ball as well as he could have afterwards.

Flowergirl
6th December 2004, 04:39 PM
Not wanting to appear to be sexist or anything ....but Lonard is just sooooo hot. Damn sexy man.......don't you agree boys. Broad shoulders, tight buttocks, full and kissable lips....... Good player too....bonus........... ( excuse me ....is it me or is it getting hot in here).......

Wouldn't mind getting stuck with him at a bbq anytime Mr. Moocow :twisted:

Jarro
6th December 2004, 04:42 PM
Not wanting to appear to be sexist or anything ....but Lonard is just sooooo hot. Damn sexy man.......don't you agree boys. Broad shoulders, tight buttocks, full and kissable lips....... Good player too....bonus........... ( excuse me ....is it me or is it getting hot in here).......

Wouldn't mind getting stuck with him at a bbq anytime Mr. Moocow :twisted:

settle down there FG, my keyboards getting all wet :o

Flowergirl
6th December 2004, 05:10 PM
Guess who I'll be following at Huntingdale?????????? Wonder where he's staying...............Mmmmmmmmm...wonder if that would be considered as stalking??????

Iain
6th December 2004, 05:19 PM
Guess who I'll be following at Huntingdale?????????? Wonder where he's staying...............Mmmmmmmmm...wonder if that would be considered as stalking??????
Ummmm yes.....

I was about 3m from him when he was walking to the 9th tee yesterday. He is a solid man, not overly tall, but built like a brick s#@thouse. Looked like he had his game face on too, wasn't game to say anything to him. :roll:

Then Sandra (Mrs Vegas) tried to take his caddie out!!!! :? :?

Iain

Jarro
6th December 2004, 07:04 PM

are you sure your name isn't Scorpiochick :? :wink:

damoocow
6th December 2004, 07:47 PM
some deluded chick wrote:

Broad shoulders, tight buttocks, full and kissable lips

but forgot to mention his big fat beer gut !

damoocow

Flowergirl
7th December 2004, 08:02 AM

are you sure your name isn't Scorpiochick :? :wink:

No Jarro........please don't put me in the same "box". Don't accept poor imitations. :roll:

Damoocow.............you crack me up!!!!!( but scare me at the same time) :?

wavemaker
7th December 2004, 08:26 AM
well damoocow, as they say in the classics, you cant drive a 12 inch nail with a tack hammer!!!!!

cazandpaul
7th December 2004, 09:24 AM
Heard on the news this morning that young Pete (not to be confused with old Pete Senior :) ) has applied for a medical exemption for early in the year re his ribs which would enable him to claim the OOM - that would surely annoy young Mr Walters :shock:

markTHEblake
7th December 2004, 11:00 AM
( excuse me ....is it me or is it getting hot in here).......

well i was thinking the same thing but a few threads back - the young chick that won the tour school........mmmmm.

amanda
7th December 2004, 04:27 PM
Heard on the news this morning that young Pete (not to be confused with old Pete Senior :) ) has applied for a medical exemption for early in the year re his ribs which would enable him to claim the OOM - that would surely annoy young Mr Walters :shock:
Just read this on the Sydney Morning Herald site:

Lonard also said he had failed in a bid to gain a medical exemption which would have given him victory in the Australian Order of Merit.

While Lonard leads the Order of Merit, he has not played enough tournaments to qualify for winning as he missed the Heineken Classic earlier this year with a rib injury.

"It's a no-goer - done," Lonard said.

"I take it there's nothing in the by-laws that stipulates that it (an exemption) can happen."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Allenby-turns-up-heat-on-redhot-Lonards/2004/12/07/1102182281963.html

Fishman Dan
7th December 2004, 05:43 PM
That's a little strange. If you can't get an injury exemption for being injured, what are they for?! :smt017 :smt102

What does he miss out on as a result?

Onewood
7th December 2004, 06:26 PM
Jarro, when are you going to get Lonards clubs out on the track :wink: not pointing fingers or anything here :D

He's in Melbourne but his clubs are missing :roll:

You may need a box to stand on to use the putter though :D

Jarro
7th December 2004, 06:58 PM
Jarro, when are you going to get Lonards clubs out on the track :wink: not pointing fingers or anything here :D

He's in Melbourne but his clubs are missing :roll:

You may need a box to stand on to use the putter though :D

well Kev, it's like this .... Flowergirl MADE me keep PL's clubs off the plane so she could do godknowswhat with them :roll:

.. i'm sure he'll have them with him tomorrow :wink:

AndyP
7th December 2004, 07:41 PM
What does he miss out on as a result?
Not sure, but I thought I heard something about automatic entry into things like the British Open. :?

Perhaps he should have asked for the exemption immediately after or during the injury period, and not when he finds himself on top of the Order of Merit.

AndyP
7th December 2004, 07:58 PM
This is all I could find: :smt102

ORDER OF MERIT is the most coveted title on the TOUR. It combines all the tournaments sanctioned by the PGA TOUR of Australasia and is awarded to the player who achieves the best performances across the season. Rankings are based on prizemoney won. A minimum of four tournaments in a single season must be played. The major benefits that the OOM offers are special overseas playing privileges to selected top events on the US and European Tours.

amanda
8th December 2004, 07:15 AM
I just read this about Peter in the SMH - there are lots of other interesting weird superstitions he has in the rest of the article. I don't think there is any doubt that golfers are the most superstitious people on earth!

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Golf/Lonard-has-Bussy-and-Buddha-to-thank-for-charmed-run/2004/12/07/1102182291991.html

Lonard is also superstitious about what he wears. It used to be his lucky red underpants but after 15 years of faithful service, the elastic finally gave way. Now, on the last day of a tournament, he wears black pants and cap and a white adidas shirt. That is why he was horrified when he looked down just before his last round at the Australian PGA at Coolum last Sunday and realised he had mistakenly put on a pair of dark-blue pants. But his friends made a dash to his room to find some black pants, he changed 30 seconds before his tee time and, 65 shots later, he had won his second major Australian tournament in two weeks.

Fishman Dan
8th December 2004, 08:00 AM
It was also on Sports Tonight last night about a 'Lucky Charm' Jimmy Barnes wife had given him a few weeks ago. He lost something off a gold chain, so she replaced it with a Buddha.

He hasn't lost since.