PDA

View Full Version : WA Golf Courses

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

adlo
1st December 2008, 07:12 PM
admin edit: Discussion about WA Courses moved from 1st Tee thread: http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11581

-----------------------------

OK no worries. Burswood and Collier Park are pretty rubbish.

The Cut is a little overrated, but worth a look. Amazing setting and the holes than run down the coast are pretty memorable.

Let us know your plans when you have made them.

Agree 100 percent... they are pretty rubbish. I also think that The Cut is the world's most overrated course.

I think what Adlo is trying to say is that if Pete and Shazz come all the way here, there are better options that Collier and Burswood.

Geez your a tough man to please

Don't disagree that if your coming from interstate they wouldnt be top 3 on the list.

However as affordable public golfing venues that are well presented they do exactly what they should.
Don't disagree with you (much) :)

Burswood is an embarrasment for the land and the $$ invloved in setting up Burswood.

Collier is a very nice public track, but nothing to show off WA golf.

Johnny Canuck
1st December 2008, 08:54 PM
Pete, I didn't even see your post about the two, I just thought Adlo has brought them up.

Bruce, you are right about the purpose they serve. I actually quite enjoy Burswood and Collier park is great for my ego!

I have heard good things about Araleun lately. Adlo played there recently, he would know best.

I love Joondalup, but only because a mate was working there and I could play 27 holes for $16 with a cart. I would NEVER pay $100+ to play there.

Meadow's has jacked their prices and is a nice track, but nothing special that you haven't seen before. Not as good as Kennedy or Secret, but almost twice the price.

Take the drive to Binningup Adlo! Make a day of it. See if you can get 9 at Binningup and 18 at Capel, or even Halls Head if you wanted to head back towards the city. I find it is a very underrated course.

The Cut is good for the experience. The 10th, 12th, 14th, 16th are great holes and the view from the 18th (the hole sucks) is worth the experience. If you do play, take special note of 11 and 17, which are the two worst golf holes I have ever played, next to a par 3 back in Canada that forced you to play a cut due to a giant tree that took up the entire fairway.

Courty
1st December 2008, 08:56 PM
Speirsy rated The Cut very highly when he was still in Aus.

adlo
1st December 2008, 09:01 PM
Courty, some people rate it VERY highly, as in WA's best golf course. I just cannot agree, when there is so many overly penal blind tee shots and some rubbish housing-track holes in the mix.

If it wasn't so highly regarded I would probably sound more positive. I just hate overrated stuff.

Without a doubt the best real estate that a WA golf course has been built on, so it should be decent!

simmsy
1st December 2008, 09:10 PM
Have you guys looked into Mandurah Country Club?
It's cheap at about $25-$30 still I think, for mine one of the best courses available for public access around our way.
Pinjarra is not a bad track either, great greens!

jmo

Just re-read JC's post and Mandurah C.C & Halls Head are same course.

simmsy
1st December 2008, 09:13 PM
Maybe SunCity if you wanted to head north of the city.
VVeeeerrrryyyy Looooooggg course though, especially if the wind gets up!

adlo
1st December 2008, 09:19 PM
I am playing Sun City next week. Have never played it before. Long? Looks like the fairway wood/hybrids will be getting a workout.

Johnny Canuck
1st December 2008, 09:21 PM
I am playing Sun City next week. Have never played it before. Long? Looks like the fairway wood/hybrids will be getting a workout.

:mrgreen:

adlo
1st December 2008, 09:38 PM
That was for you JC, glad you didn't miss it

simmsy
1st December 2008, 09:39 PM
Yeah from memory pretty long, haven't played there for about 5 years though.
And just something for you to sleep on Adlo plenty of right-left tee shots required on this course mate!:lol:

adlo
1st December 2008, 09:43 PM
Easy Simmsy. I have just the low running hook for it. Just not that pretty.

just
1st December 2008, 09:50 PM
Your overly harsh Adlo. Kennedy Bay is superior, no doubt, but if someone who had never played the Cut before had read your posts, they would get a view as out of proportion as those who rate it the other way. The holes through the housing aren't rubbish, they aren't great either, I think they're fine, however their main fault is that they are out of context with the rest of the course. I don't think most of the blind holes are overly penal, with nine being the exception. I enjoyed the course immensely, with the exception of the lack of water available to drink on a course that gets upwards of 40* days in a Perth summer (that seems to be a common failing with many new courses these days). It is also visually spectacular in parts. Having said all that, if I had to pick one to play regularly I would choose Kennedy Bay in a flash.

adlo
1st December 2008, 09:57 PM
Was does a high handicapper know?? :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

Just joking, I am one too. :lol:

Just, I see your points, and like I said, I am rating it harshly against HIGH EXPECTATIONS AND EXTREMELY HIGH RATINGS that The Cut has.

It has some great holes, no doubt. Its average holes are no worse than the bad holes on a course like Meadow Springs or Secret Harbour. But they charge a premium rate 7 days a week, and I believe more enjoyable golf can be found.

I stand by my comments about the overly penal nature of The Cut.

Golfnut
1st December 2008, 10:11 PM
Strewth.....getting a bit nervous about putting up Glen Iris as my course for our WA matchplay......that would look like a paddock compared to Burswood :smt087

adlo
1st December 2008, 10:18 PM
Golfnut, I am rating The Cut against courses of a similar stature.

I played 9 holes at Glen Iris last week and enjoyed it. It is, as I said to Mr Dickinson re Collier, fine for what it is. It is not in the same league as The Cut of Kennedy Bay. But for a well priced public track, it is excellent.

I really enjoy playing Wembley, Collier, Maylands and a few other public courses. But again, I would never compare them to Araluen or Joondalup, as it would be unfair to do so.

Bruce Dickinson
1st December 2008, 10:28 PM
One of my favourite courses is a 9 holer about 90 mins south. Probably too much effort, but worth a mention.

Otherwise The Cut is a good option. Of our "top" courses Meadow Springs is in poor condition lately, The Vines is nothing you haven't seen before, Joondalup is the worst value for $ golf in Perth. Secret Harbour is nice, but is Kennedy Bay's poorer cousin so will probably be a disappointment after KB Saturday. Araluen is nice too.

Depends what you are looking for.

How's Joondalup the worst value for golf in Perth?

Golfnut
1st December 2008, 10:30 PM
Gulp!!! Feel better now :)
I actually really enjoy playing Burswood...we usually play it once or twice a year and I really look forward to it.

Having said all of the above my brother & I played Araluen back in late August and the place looked terrible....I mean com'on it was the midst of winter and the place was dry and a more yellow shade of green on some of the fairways....it did improve as the game went on but I was glad the game was on the house. (As was lunch & drinks.....they were doing the big suckup job trying to win back a big spending old client)

adlo
1st December 2008, 10:33 PM
Araluen had a very bad year. It is in excellent condition now, all credit to the green staff. It is looking as good as any other course in Perth.

Golfnut
1st December 2008, 10:38 PM
Be nice to head back there again to check it out properly.....was just pretty bad advertising I thought especially while trying to win back a big client.....in the end I think where my brother works, ended up taking up the corperate package.....it was just too good to pass up, they were practially giving it away cause they really wanted the bar $$$....those concreters have thirsty apetites before, during and especially after a game :)

simmsy
1st December 2008, 10:41 PM
I reckon any course charging >$75 in Perth is poor value. It is simply not justified when there are so many good private/with public access courses available in perth/mandurah for under $40.

I usually steer clear of the top end full access courses as you get the corporate days and miners days on them and no one looks after the bunkers or repairs the greens like they do on private/with public access courses, and so often on these courses they only mow the greens every 2nd day. If I pay premium I expect premium. I know people out there will say this and that about different courses, Im just saying as a general rule and from my own experience.

Another thing about the premium courses i find is happening alot is they are doing work on the course (coring greens/fairways) or have received large amounts of vandilism and still charge full whack and don't tell you when you book!!:smt093:smt093 ARE YOU LISTENING MEADOW & SECRET!!

adlo
1st December 2008, 10:43 PM
How's Joondalup the worst value for golf in Perth?
OK, looks like the firing line is forming, so lets just get this over with ;)

I do not like Joondalup and I think The Cut is average.

I think their green fees represent poor value for money, especially Joondalup. What is it on weekends, $130? I would rather play Kennedy Bay 3 times for that money.

If I look at top shelf courses in our lovely state, I think The Vines, Joondalup, The Cut and Araluen are all shown up by Kennedy Bay, at around half the cost.

I am happy to spend money of golf. Lord knows, most of us in these forums are. But for ENJOYMENT, I would rather play Binningup at $15 than Joondalup/Araluen/The Cut all for $100+. I just think that means they fall short IN MY OPINION! If a honour box run, $15 green fee 9 hole golf course is more enjoyable than our creme de la creme of golf courses, something is wrong.

Golfnut
1st December 2008, 10:47 PM
Yeah found the same when I played Secret Harbour last month....the whole fairway on the 1st looked like a cow paddock.....not a nice way to start your round.

simmsy
1st December 2008, 10:48 PM
here'here for Binningup!
great little track to pop in for a quick game.

$130 at Joondalup??? Is that right Adlo?
Give me a break for sure.

Bruce Dickinson
1st December 2008, 10:49 PM
OK, looks like the firing line is forming, so lets just get this over with ;)

I do not like Joondalup and I think The Cut is average.

I think their green fees represent poor value for money, especially Joondalup. What is it on weekends, $130? I would rather play Kennedy Bay 3 times for that money.

If I look at top shelf courses in our lovely state, I think The Vines, Joondalup, The Cut and Araluen are all shown up by Kennedy Bay, at around half the cost.

I am happy to spend money of golf. Lord knows, most of us in these forums are. But for ENJOYMENT, I would rather play Binningup at $15 than Joondalup/Araluen/The Cut all for $100+. I just think that means they fall short IN MY OPINION! If a honour box run, $15 green fee 9 hole golf course is more enjoyable than our creme de la creme of golf courses, something is wrong.
no firing line, just curious about the comment. I know you didn't enjoy Joondalup but I'd rather play their than the Cut, the Vines or Araluen so each to their own :)

adlo
1st December 2008, 10:50 PM
I am pretty sure simmsy. Weekend rate with a cart for Joondalup is around $130, Araluen is $120 and Vines is at least $90. The Cut is $135.

Golfnut
1st December 2008, 10:52 PM
Ha.....the weekend rate for the Vines was $150 with a cart the last time I was there in August.....rip off if you ask me....

EDIT. Sorry, that was with light lunch voucher and range balls....still too pricey if you ask me

adlo
1st December 2008, 10:56 PM
no firing line, just curious about the comment. I know you didn't enjoy Joondalup but I'd rather play their than the Cut, the Vines or Araluen so each to their own :)
No worries Bruce.

I can see how Joondalup would be a good challenge to play on a regular basis. I was a bit amazed at the size of the greens (nothing else like it in WA as far as I know). I just don't enjoy resort golf. I must admit, I think I am harsh on Joondalup. Anyone who loves resort golf would love it. It is the best resort golf course I have played.

The Cut is closer to the kind of golf I like, I just think i underachieves. The potential is there.

The Vines? Boring. A real shame that it hosts our only international tournaments.

Araluen is pretty good, but I haven't played there much. It had some really nice holes, but I found it a bit monotonous. Too many resort courses like Araluen and Vines (both 18's) feature an endless array of 340-380m par 4's with repetitive bunkering.

Golfnut
1st December 2008, 11:01 PM
par 4's with repetitive bunkering.

All of which caught a sucker like me plenty of times :(

The back 9 of Araluen really does require you to hit the fairways as the bush & natives are extremely dense and line the fairways.....found quite a few nice balls whilst looking for mine.

Bruce Dickinson
2nd December 2008, 09:44 AM
good discussion, I've been fortunate to be in a position to play every golf course in Perth and I know that we get a pretty good deal in regards to price paid and condition of courses presented.

adlo
2nd December 2008, 10:00 AM
Bruce, I think you are right.

I would not bitch and moan if I was forced to only play Joondalup or Araluen for the rest of my life! It is only because we have some really nice courses in top condition that we can discuss preference for one over the other.

I had a conversation with another forum member about golf in Perth and we were polar opposites. He hated links style courses and loved resort golf. At the end of the day, we are fortunate to be able to have such a discussion, we live in an amazing part of the world for affordable golf.

adlo
2nd December 2008, 10:24 AM
Richard, you need to have a cheap spare set of clubs over here so you can have a hit when you are in town. Get FLC to store them for you. Heck, you can throw them in my shed for all I care. It is crazy that all you do is walk these courses. I know it is your living, but you should try and have a few games over here.

Bruce Dickinson
2nd December 2008, 10:43 AM
Richard, you need to have a cheap spare set of clubs over here so you can have a hit when you are in town. Get FLC to store them for you. Heck, you can throw them in my shed for all I care. It is crazy that all you do is walk these courses. I know it is your living, but you should try and have a few games over here.
He's too busy chasing cheap women and punting on dodgy horses 8-)

Johnny Canuck
2nd December 2008, 11:30 AM
Trust me whenever I can squeeze in a game I do.
I walked Binningup a few months ago and was frothing at the mouth. Hope we can be part of the new 9 there.

I've played Secret once or twice and always seem to enjoy myself there.

I heard a rumour at my club on Sat that there is talk about another 18 being built at Binningup!

Johnny Canuck
2nd December 2008, 12:36 PM
I hope that they don't tweak it too much.

Andrew
2nd December 2008, 12:37 PM
I walked Binningup a few months ago and was frothing at the mouth. Hope we can be part of the new 9 there.

I heard they were going to string you along right 'till the end, then hire James Wilcher. :D

adlo
2nd December 2008, 02:43 PM
You ****..that cuts deep mate.

No wait..Jim has already done a project in WA so surely he can't get the gig.
Ouch

adlo
2nd December 2008, 02:44 PM
Only another 9...but a tweak of the existing 9 to accommodate houses.
How much tweaking are we talking? What holes other than 7 or 8 will be affected by housing?

adlo
2nd December 2008, 02:48 PM
Fair enough. If it is done well it could be better than the Cut. My main problem is that I learned how to play golf on that course (my old man lives in Australind). So I have fond memories of an untouched 9 hole course with no housing in site, and $5 green fees.

I hope justice will be served on such an amazing site.

adlo
2nd December 2008, 02:56 PM
Is that the planned area for the range and club house between #3 & #4? It is a bastard of a hill to walk, but it never ceases to put a smile on the face when you get up the top.

TourFit
3rd December 2008, 02:52 PM
diabolical...

Bruce Dickinson
3rd December 2008, 03:28 PM
diabolical...
Adlo or 69er?

adlo
3rd December 2008, 04:43 PM
diabolical...

John, I thought you said you wanted to join some local forums to contribute.

Still waiting for the contribution here....

just
3rd December 2008, 07:17 PM
Adlo

I have been away for a couple of days, so haven't had a chance to comment. I still think your judgement of the Cut is harsh, I think it is interesting and very different, however at $135, it wasn't anywhere near that two years ago when I played it, even I would baulk at playing, especially when judged against KB. Looking forward to expanding my list of Perth courses in January, or at least playing KB again. By the way I also think Albany is enjoyable.

adlo
3rd December 2008, 09:22 PM
just, I appreciate your comments. Johnny Canuck has played the Cut more than me, and judges it far more harshly, so see him for further discussion :razz:

I have never played Albany, though I would like to. Have a hit at KB when you are in town, and see if there is anywhere else you want to check out. 2 of my favourite courses are Binningup and Bunbury, both a decent drive from Perth.

AndyP
3rd December 2008, 10:10 PM
Here's something else for discussion. The rankings. Agree/Disagree? What's your own WA Top 5.

Golf Digest Rankings (http://ausgolf.com.au/australias-top-100-courses-golf-digest) (WA):
16. The Cut
19. Lake Karrinyup
20. Kennedy Bay
22. Joondalup (Quarry-Dune)
39. The Vines (Composite)
63. Mount Lawley
64. Secret Harbour??
70. The Western Australian
72. Spring Valley????
75. Araluen
78. Meadow Springs
91. Albany
98. Cottesloe

You certainly do appear to have some top courses. 4 courses are ranked above Queensland's best.

Bruce Dickinson
3rd December 2008, 10:30 PM
Here's something else for discussion. The rankings. Agree/Disagree? What's your own WA Top 5.

Golf Digest Rankings (http://ausgolf.com.au/australias-top-100-courses-golf-digest) (WA):
16. The Cut
19. Lake Karrinyup
20. Kennedy Bay
22. Joondalup (Quarry-Dune)
39. The Vines (Composite)
63. Mount Lawley
64. Secret Harbour??
70. The Western Australian
72. Spring Valley????
75. Araluen
78. Meadow Springs
91. Albany
98. Cottesloe

You certainly do appear to have some top courses. 4 courses are ranked above Queensland's best.

My top 5
Joondalup (q/d)
Kennedy Bay
Albany
The Cut
Secret Harbour (pre housing it would have been higher)

Johnny Canuck
3rd December 2008, 10:42 PM
I judge The Cut harshly, based on the premium course that it markets itself as. The course itself is a paradox. It has a few great holes. I rate 12 one of my favorite holes anywhere. However, 11 is dumb, simply dumb. 17 is ridiculous as well. You have to play a mid to high iron off the tee, there is no other option unless you drive the green. I hit a ball so far right on that hole that I hit a provisional, only to get up and find my ball was just about OB on the left side. I love short par 4's, but that one is just plain dumb.

My top 5 would be:

1. Kennedy Bay - not a weak hole - hard as f*ck. I played Collier once, broke par. In 4 years I've broke par about 3 times at Kennedy, never in a comp. Any of the 18 holes can kill a good round.

1.5 Binningup - can't be in the official top 5 due to it being 9 holes, but the place is magical

2. Joondalup (Dunes/ Quarry) - great course to play skins at - some crazy "resort style" holes and almost "stupid" greens (had to chip 3 times in one round while on the green just to get to the hole), but unlike Adlo, I like that. Some holes would only be found in video games with the crazy design.

3. Vines (John's composite) Played the Ellenbrook (I believe), pretty easy, some good holes. The championship course is better, easy to find a good 18 when you have 36 to choose from

4. Meadow Springs - not spectac or overly difficult by any means, but I always enjoy the track. No real weak holes, except 13 and 14 are back to back short par 4's. 11 remains the only hole that I have ever hit a putt into a water hazard.

5. The Cut - see below - changed my mind. It is better than Cottesloe

6. Cottesloe - best greens I have putt on in the last 10 years. I have only played it once and may be a little biased because I won the Presidents/Captains/Vice Captains day, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, when I didn't think I would.

Honorable Mention and other course comments:

Dunborough Country Club (sand greens, crap fairways, but quite possibly the best designed golf course I have ever played)

Dunsborough Lakes - enjoyable, but wide open and easy. The back nine is nice. Hopefully the reno's go well and improve it.

I haven't played Lake Karrinyup, but everyone tells me it is great. Never heard a bad thing about the place.

Secret Harbour is overrated. Houses have hurt it's setup. Holes 1, 15 and 17 are painfully crap. Holes 4, 5 and 18 are fantastic, but painful to my scorecard. 8 is a sweet par 3.

The Vines wasn't overly impressive, but a composite course could be pretty good (if I can choose my holes).

I would love to play Albany because it looks and sounds like my kind of track.

The Cut almost made the top five and could be subbed for Cottesloe quitely easily. I don't hate it, just a few holes. I will go and play it again soon a post an updated review after all I have said. Now in the 5. Last minute edit.

The West Australian - nice, but shouldn't be rated where it is.

nuttedit
3rd December 2008, 11:22 PM
Some good comments about courses mentioned but i would like to add another. Hartfield is a members course but is open to the public mon and tues, i was a member there for about 2 years while living in perth. When they secured the head green keeper from the Vines the course came on leaps and bounds. Admitterly i haven't lived in perth now for 4 years so have no idea what condition it is in now but if you want a good test of golf for under $40 dollars you could do a lot worst. Hi to all our WA members.

Johnny Canuck
4th December 2008, 12:00 AM
I am interested in Hartfield myself as I'll be moving closer to that area in the next year. WIll have to get out for a game with Simmsy at some point.

adlo
4th December 2008, 12:42 AM
OK, my top 5 would be

Binningup- if there is a more enjoyable course in WA I would like to play it. Love the 3 par 3, 3 par 4 and 3 par 5 combo.
Kennedy Bay- best layout I have ever played. Rewards smart golf. Unlike anything else in WA. Great mix of short and long 4's. Best set of par 3's.
Bunbury- best greens I have seen. Challenging layout. Tests the tee game unlike no other.
Secret Harbour- unfortunately getting worse with age. Too much housing has changed the feel of the course. Nice layout, and really enjoyable. A few stupid holes, but forgivable.
Araluen/Meadow Springs- Hard to call. I have played Meadow Springs more often and have found the enjoyment fading, but maybe that is becasue the conditioning has really slipped for a course that prided itself on the condition. Araluen is a breath taking course. Enjoyable too. Nice undulations and a few beautiful holes.

I need to play Lake Karrinyup, Cottesloe and WA Golf Club. I have a game coming up at WAGC soon, but I dont think it would crack the top 5.

The Cut is admittedly judged harshly by me. Will head back soon to re-assess.

Joondalup is a resort golf lovers dream. Unfortunately, not my preference. However, excellent condition, facilities, and is one of Perths finest. Another course I judge harshly.

Mt Lawley is a nice track. Have only been able to play once and I am keen to see it after the renovations are finished. I can imagine it should be beautiful once complete.

The Vines is ranked WAY too high. It is a good quality course, but all in all, pretty boring. A good course, but I don't rate it anywhere near a course like KB.

We have some excellent courses. It is this fact that allows me to form my opinions on some top tracks like The Cut and Joondalup. All our courses in the top 100 that I have played are excellent quality. I like the mix of resort/parkland/links courses. Keeps us all happy.... and keeps the crowds away from Kennedy Bay.

Bruce Dickinson
4th December 2008, 10:07 AM
I am interested in Hartfield myself as I'll be moving closer to that area in the next year. WIll have to get out for a game with Simmsy at some point.

Hartfield is an okay members course, really flat with a lot of holes that feel the same

adlo
9th December 2008, 11:32 PM
Checked out Sun City yesterday. Overall pretty impressed for a cheap-ish track.

Nice undulations, good nick, excellent practice facilites and very quiet. Almost every par 4 was a long dogleg, which was a tad monotonous, but it sure beats the norm of public tracks. Pretty darn long too.

Golfnut
9th December 2008, 11:36 PM
Where exactly is this course mate? Never heard of it b4

Johnny Canuck
9th December 2008, 11:37 PM
hey adlo, i have us in at 7:20, but i may drop out as I have my company xmas party the night before. an early start won't be good. going to play later in thr day.

adlo
9th December 2008, 11:49 PM
Where exactly is this course mate? Never heard of it b4
Yanchep. 45 mins north. Middle of nowhere.

adlo
9th December 2008, 11:50 PM
hey adlo, i have us in at 7:20, but i may drop out as I have my company xmas party the night before. an early start won't be good. going to play later in thr day.
What time might you play?

7:20 is an early one (with the drive down) :shock:

Johnny Canuck
10th December 2008, 08:33 AM
What time might you play?

7:20 is an early one (with the drive down) :shock:

I thought you liked the early ones!

I'm going to call them later today and see what the morning bookings are like. I don't want to get sandwiched in with a large amount of paying public and have the round take a long time. I'll probably book when there is a break in the field.

adlo
10th December 2008, 09:22 AM
I've looked at Sun City recently. Without doubt the most potential for a course in WA.
Fantastic site.
That is a good way to put it. A lot of potential. Enjoyable atm, but could be something special.

Johhny Canuck, the 8ish tee times have been suiting me fine. When I am flat out at work (like I have been of late) the early tee times are a little intimidating because getting out of bed on Saturday is rough. Send me an sms when you know what you are doing and I can decide when to play.

Bruce Dickinson
10th December 2008, 09:50 AM
I've looked at Sun City recently. Without doubt the most potential for a course in WA.
Fantastic site.
Agree with that comment, lucky someone put you onto that little gem

simmsy
10th December 2008, 09:14 PM
Hartfield is an okay members course, really flat with a lot of holes that feel the same

Firstly I am a member of Hartfield so bias may count for some. I don't really see the holes feeling the same Bruce. There is many variables on the course, there are atleast 5 holes where i change from Driver to hybrid 3 depending on the wind and my swing on the day and where I feel I need to land it for my approach. I agree it is a little flat, but for the price alot better than other courses around. For a course with the same feel go to Melville Glades, I was a member there for 10 years, man that has got to be the most boring layout in Perth, great greens and fairways though. They have just started a 15year layout change plan as well so it might be better by the time I reach retirement!!:razz:

Bruce Dickinson
11th December 2008, 02:34 PM
Firstly I am a member of Hartfield so bias may count for some. I don't really see the holes feeling the same Bruce. There is many variables on the course, there are atleast 5 holes where i change from Driver to hybrid 3 depending on the wind and my swing on the day and where I feel I need to land it for my approach. I agree it is a little flat, but for the price alot better than other courses around. For a course with the same feel go to Melville Glades, I was a member there for 10 years, man that has got to be the most boring layout in Perth, great greens and fairways though. They have just started a 15year layout change plan as well so it might be better by the time I reach retirement!!:razz:
I was a member their about ten years ago, not saying its a bad golf course but to me wasn't anything oustanding in the layout.

TourFit
11th December 2008, 05:04 PM
Sorry, adlo!! The 'diabolical' comment was in no way aimed at you.

I have contributed a few times here so far...but I don't want to be stuck on the forum all day...tempting though it is

What I meant by diabolical was, like you, I LOVE BINNINGUP !!! To see it spoiled by some development and housing, and designing a new 9 and remodelling what is already there WILL take away from what is a gem.

How many times have we seen the age old 'developments' with golf course attached. Sometimes they can get it right, sometimes NOT (like Glen Iris!!!).

Although not busy or well known, Binningup is widely well regarded - partly because it is so quiet, partly because it is in good nick with great greens, but also cause it has that certain magic to it. It is a great collection of holes in a fantastic setting that making a development will surely turn it into another 'The Cut' or Glen Iris or Secret Harbour...like we need more of those.

adlo
11th December 2008, 07:48 PM
I knew you weren't having a go TourFit, was just waiting for you to expand on the comment!

Binningup may remain a good course, but undoubtedly will lose the "magic" you mention. Good word for it.

Johnny Canuck
11th December 2008, 07:57 PM
Funny he uses that term, I've always referred to it as magical. Seems very fitting.

adlo
11th December 2008, 08:03 PM
Cue the music...

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb52/The_Playlist/movies/arrested_development_gob_magic.jpg

adlo
11th December 2008, 08:08 PM
Are you going to get the gig?

kev
11th December 2008, 10:07 PM
You guys are so lucky I am the Copperfield of golf design.

All smoke and mirrors? ;)

Bruce Dickinson
11th December 2008, 10:17 PM
You guys are so lucky I am the Copperfield of golf design.
more like copperart :lol:

adlo
11th December 2008, 10:54 PM
more like copperart :lol:
Classic :lol:

Johnny Canuck
12th December 2008, 08:01 AM
Just use Henno's chick. "Our courses have nice mounds".

TourFit
12th December 2008, 10:28 AM
As long as it isn't Copperfield Golf Design....We'll make your balls disappear!!!!

That might be a good one for another designer (JW) in reference to a certain WA course....

adlo
18th December 2008, 11:39 PM
OK, played Joondalup Lakes 9 with Mr Dickinson himself today.

It has redeemed itself in a big way. MUCH more enjoyable on foot. Greens are still massive, and will take some getting used to. Had 2 3 putts through 9 holes which was better than last time :)

Excellent twilight rates atm, will continue to play there over summer to get a few more looks at Quarry/Dune.

Johnny Canuck
19th December 2008, 08:27 AM
Hey Adlo,

Runour has it we are getting reciprocal rights at Sanctuary and Sun City! (With a possible third course on the horizon that I don't want to put in print until it becomes more definite). I'll give you a hint... I mentioned it in my ratings of WA courses.

adlo
19th December 2008, 09:13 AM
Very well. Especially the driver. Almost drove a 300m par 4, and hit a few 250m+ into a 2 club headwind.

Had a lazy 40 after hitting his first shot of the day into the drink.

Bruce Dickinson
19th December 2008, 10:32 AM
He can hit that driver on his day.
I do remember carrying him aound in a couple of fourballs in Melb earleir this year.

We took the money off Boonie easily.
mate I think the carrying was evenly spread, you did the golf part (apart from 79 at Kingston Heath) and I covered your sorry arse in the social stakes.

Enjoyed the golf with Adlo and couple of others, $29 to play Joondalup and we had the whole nine to ourselves.

Golfnut
19th December 2008, 10:11 PM
Got back to Secret Harbour last Friday with my usual playing partner.
Absolutely perfect day for it as compared to the mini cyclone I played in last time I was there......drove pretty straight all day (cause you have to really otherwise spend hrs looking for your ball in the thick rough) and hit 12 fairways.....some reasonably nice approach shots, managed 5 GIR's BUT COULD NOT buy a putt...took me 7-8 holes to get used to the lightning speed of the greens.

I won't mention scores cause I basically lost it on the greens but we had a great day, enjoyed taking my mate down to an oceanside course that he thoroughly enjoyed and he done ok for his first time out there.

This course rates very highly in my books....easily in the top 5.

adlo
21st December 2008, 08:08 PM
Secret Harbour is a nice course, no doubt.

After not playing there for a month, and playing a few other public courses lately, I would have to say Wembley Old Course might be the best value golf in Perth metro. $27 on weekends for a course in great nick and a fairly interesting layout. I played Collier on Friday, and while I don't mind the layout, the condition is RUBBISH.

Golfnut
21st December 2008, 09:31 PM
Very hard to go back to Freo public after SH that's for sure :(

adlo
22nd December 2008, 12:17 PM
You couldn't pay me to play on Freo public.

Golfnut
22nd December 2008, 06:15 PM
Yeah but it's where I cut my teeth, so I still get back there often....driving range & practive area are pretty good.....the course good at teaching you to hit straight as the fairways are extremely narrow.

Golfnut
2nd January 2009, 03:52 PM
Played at Kwinana GC on New Years eve with my brother and a couple of mates and I gotta say I was very impressed.....I'd heard rumours that the place was taking big steps forward and puting a lot of work into the course.....It's sure paying off.
From Tee to pin the course condition was well above average with quite firm fairways and really excellent greens.

It plays long at well over 6kms for 18, all of which we walked on a pretty warm day but there's plenty of shade with tree lined fairways, well maintained rough with not too many low dense bushes.....some very challenging up hill long par 3's, most Par4's played around 370m with the longest being 402m and the shortest 307m.

Will definitely be making a few more trips back there in the near future.

jbhayman
2nd January 2009, 07:04 PM
I'm heading over to Perth in 2 weeks for a 3 week holiday to visit Relies and friends and thinking of taking my Clubs...

Any suggestions for good Public courses...or anyone interested in a hit with a high handicapper??

JB
Melbourne

adlo
2nd January 2009, 07:21 PM
JB, where will you be staying?

Mate, we will be happy to give some suggestions and have a hit.

jbhayman
2nd January 2009, 07:28 PM
I am staying in Palmyra most of the time but also travelling to Duncraig often...

Not sure about the restrictions on luggage as yet, but would love to bring the clubs.

JB

adlo
2nd January 2009, 07:45 PM
OK, pretty central. If you manage to squeeze the clubs in let us know and we can sort a few games out.

jbhayman
2nd January 2009, 08:18 PM
Looks like the clubs will not be a problem... I will talk to Qantas tomorrow..

JB

just
2nd January 2009, 08:31 PM
JB
As you can see from my thread I'm also heading over to Perth. I've never had a problem with clubs with QANTAS, golf bag normally weighs 14-15kg and weight limit is 32 kg per person so unless carrying heaps of other stuff you should be okay.
just

jbhayman
2nd January 2009, 09:30 PM
I will be taking clothes for 3 weeks as well.

JB
JB
As you can see from my thread I'm also heading over to Perth. I've never had a problem with clubs with QANTAS, golf bag normally weighs 14-15kg and weight limit is 32 kg per person so unless carrying heaps of other stuff you should be okay.
just

hocko
2nd January 2009, 09:50 PM
I'll be in too JB, i live not far from Palmyra so some south of the river courses might suit, I suspect Adlo will want to play at the infamous Kennedy Bay, if so it might be worth going down and maybe the Nut might want to make the four? Or JC or anybody else??????
As long as I get a spot I don't mind.

jbhayman
2nd January 2009, 10:17 PM
Yes it is all good for me... I will be leaving on the 16th of Jan and be there until the 8th Feb ... there are just some days I can not do as I will be seeing a friend :) I will find out these days soon.

JB

hocko
2nd January 2009, 10:24 PM
Here's an idea, seeing that all you eastern staters are coming over here.
Why don't we do the OZgolf champs here?????????

adlo
3rd January 2009, 12:28 AM
I'll play whenever my life permits. Always play Saturdays, but wit daylight savings we can always play late arvo.

Joondalup has $29 special for 9 holes after 5pm. Which could easily turn into 15 or 16 holes.

jbhayman
3rd January 2009, 02:42 PM
prefer to play 18s

JB

I'll play whenever my life permits. Always play Saturdays, but wit daylight savings we can always play late arvo.

Joondalup has $29 special for 9 holes after 5pm. Which could easily turn into 15 or 16 holes.

hocko
3rd January 2009, 02:58 PM
JB, we can play at Geln Iris which is a descent public course. GolfNut may want to join us as well.
If we go during the week I will take a day off work.

Golfnut
3rd January 2009, 04:29 PM
As long as your up for 6am tee offs, i could be a chance.

jbhayman
3rd January 2009, 08:15 PM
Tuesdays are a good day while I am there... as My friend has to work those days !!

JB

rebjon
3rd January 2009, 09:31 PM

Actually its twilight starts at 4 to 4:30pm depending who you speak to up there, so 18 is no problem....

adlo
3rd January 2009, 09:41 PM
Thats good to hear iron ho.

Why don't you sign up for the WA matchplay?

jbhayman
5th January 2009, 09:34 PM
Those interested in a game send me your contact details ....

1st game if possible on Tuesday the 20th Feb...... you pick the place....???

JB

gregorywannabe
13th January 2009, 11:58 AM
For a course with the same feel go to Melville Glades, I was a member there for 10 years, man that has got to be the most boring layout in Perth, great greens and fairways though. They have just started a 15year layout change plan as well so it might be better by the time I reach retirement!!:razz:

Hopefully g69 will make it more interesting! :)

The new 8th and 9th open at the end of this month.

gregorywannabe
13th January 2009, 12:00 PM
Only another 9...but a tweak of the existing 9 to accommodate houses.

I hope the tweaking is better than what's happened to #8 at Binningup.

Bruce Dickinson
13th January 2009, 12:06 PM
Hopefully g69 will make it more interesting! :)

The new 8th and 9th open at the end of this month.
did you get an invite to the cocktail party?

gregorywannabe
13th January 2009, 12:21 PM
did you get an invite to the cocktail party?

We'll probably go. Not sure if g69's over this way then.

Opening of the 8th & 9th
Friday, 30th January 2009
Members are invited to a pre-opening cocktail party from 6:00pm for a sneak peek of the new holes prior to their opening on Saturday. At 7:30pm you're also welcome to make your way back to the clubhouse for a sumptuous sit-down meal.
Tickets to the cocktail party are $15 per person and $50 for both the cocktail party and dinner available NOW through admin. Book early to win yourself a golden ticket for the special NTP competition for the chance to win $100 house credit on the evening!

gregorywannabe
13th January 2009, 01:04 PM
Hope we're not playing off the champ tees at 200m then! :)

jbhayman
14th January 2009, 08:19 PM
well only 2 days to go & I am Perth bound

adlo
14th January 2009, 10:57 PM
Played WAGC (Yokine) for the first time today.

Lovely track. Very enjoyable. Challenging but fair. If you played it every week no doubt you could shoot some low scores.

Some amazing views over Perth and the hills. Bargain for $20 with a member!

Bruce Dickinson
15th January 2009, 09:40 AM
Played WAGC (Yokine) for the first time today.

Lovely track. Very enjoyable. Challenging but fair. If you played it every week no doubt you could shoot some low scores.

Some amazing views over Perth and the hills. Bargain for $20 with a member!

told you it would be good, has to be one of the best conditioned courses in Australia.

Golfnut
18th January 2009, 12:10 AM
Played 18 out at Pt Walter (9 hole track) on Friday midday.....Yes I know, HOT!!!!....i'm a sucker for punishment....I call it commitment to the game ;) I considered it a bit more conditioning than anything, not only did I battle the playing of the game but also the obvious 40+ degree heat and hydration rashioning too....surprisingly I hit my best game ever with a round of 93, putted terribly on the back 9 due to 7 of the greens having the sprinklers going whilst putting which was a touch distracting to say the least.

All in all quite an enjoyable track that's not overly difficult as there aren't too many greenside bunkers, adequate width fairways with bunkers in just the right/wrong places even for a slicer/fader like me & very good greens....the fairways are usually in very nice condition but were looking a bit burnt in areas due to the heat wave over the last couple of weeks, probably rate as med-hard under foot.

Best hole would have to be the 8th/17th, standing on the tee look left and you can see all the way down to the Freo wharf & beyond, follow the Swan River to Bicton then turn right of the tee and take in the City veiws. (Hit 250+m drives on this hole too both times round:) :))

adlo
18th January 2009, 02:41 PM
Good stuff Golfnut :smt038

Point Walter is an interesting track. AMAZING location, would be great is someone put in a few dollars into the course to change it from a budget public course to something a bit nicer (especially the greens).

adlo
18th January 2009, 02:45 PM
told you it would be good, has to be one of the best conditioned courses in Australia.
Conditioning was not at 100% due to some recent changes to bunkering etc. Back 9 was in better nick as there were fewer changes. Hole #11 may be the most beautiful par 4 I have ever seen.

I was discussing the routing with the member, as there were so many safety issues in my opinion as a newcomer. Not that is really worries me, I was just curious if they had problems with it. He said that the club's opinion was to flatten out some of the fairways on the back 9, which to me sounded tragic. I hope they do not go down that road.

Golfnut
18th January 2009, 06:37 PM
Good stuff Golfnut :smt038

Point Walter is an interesting track. AMAZING location, would be great is someone put in a few dollars into the course to change it from a budget public course to something a bit nicer (especially the greens).

Thanks mate.....I found the greens to be pretty good for a public track to tell you the truth (I know they've been puting a fair bit of work into them over the last 12months)........compared to Freo public, PW is gold :lol:

adlo
24th March 2009, 11:19 PM
This just in:

The PGA has just contacted the club with the news that Bunbury Golf Club is in the last 3 to be voted the top course in WA by the professional golfers who have played WA in the last 12 months.The other two courses are Cottesloe and The Cut.

Good news for Bunbury. I know the pros who play the SW Open down there are very complimentary, especially regarding the greens.

Golfnut
24th March 2009, 11:22 PM
I'm guessing these 3 courses are all private?!?!

adlo
24th March 2009, 11:25 PM
You can play The Cut, they have a $79 special going at the moment.

Bunbury GC will let green fee players on most of the time apart from comp times.

vovo
2nd April 2009, 12:22 AM
Hey guys,

not sure if i should start a new thread.
Anyways, i am moving to Perth (just got offered a job), probably just after Easter and am toying with idea of joining a golf club and playing golf as my main sport, currently i play rugby and this leaves precious little time to play golf (saturdays are gone and sundays i am generally among the walking wounded).

I don't have a handicap and i am not a member anywhere at the moment, I have played quite a bit of golf since being made redundant at the beginning of Feb, through a corporate membership and social golf, and am quite enjoying myself.

Initially I will be staying in Cottesloe and then maybe around Nedlands (not sure but i have friends there) and working in Murdoch.

I will be playing rugby again at some time, maybe halfway through the season or next year, so i don't want to pay nomination fees only to terminate my membership after a year (once i am serious about playing heaps of golf -read hang my boots up- i might consider shelling out)

Anywhere of good value that is recommended.

Cheers

adlo
2nd April 2009, 12:34 AM
That is a tough area for golf. All the courses are either full or expensive, and would require nominations.

Actually, apart from Kennedy Bay :) , most private courses in Perth will get you for nomination and IMO, overcharge for subs.

You might want to consider playing in a WAGL club. They are based at public courses, generally play Saturdays and you pay as you go. Your handicap will be WAGL affiliated, not AGU affiliated (however some courses are changing this). However, if playing golf is the main priority, it is a pretty good deal.

I played with a WAGL club for 2 years at Wembley, which is near Nedlands area, and enjoyed it very much. I feel like a members course is more rewarding to play week in, week out, but if you are fairly newish to golf that won't be a big thing to worry about yet.

Seaview is a 9 holer in Cottesloe that is not too expensive, but will still require a small nomination and you have to wait for 7 day playing rights.

vovo
2nd April 2009, 01:07 AM
Not that new to golf, though i have never taken it seriously as i have always had other sport on which takes up too much time, so have only played socially til now (about 5-10 rounds a year), I typically shoot between the mid eighties to mid nineties depending on the day and the course.

Do Clubs allow you to pay fees pro Rata.

Adlo, i just looked at your Golflink, and i noticed you play at Kennedy Bay, do you live near there or do you commute.

The golf courses i play around here are Robina Woods and The colonial (both through the corporate membership) as well as Redlands, Gailes and Riverlakes (my parents live on the estate, but i am not a huge fan of the course).

I really like Redlands and Gailes.

adlo
2nd April 2009, 01:21 AM
vovo,

I commute to Kennedy Bay. No joining fee and an irressistable re-opening offer. Reasonable subs too. I drive from the city (40 mins each way). However it is one of perths best tracks.

Perth tracks..... Mt Lawley, Yokine, Cottesloe etc will either not take new members or won't be interested in monthly payment of sub.

You'd be looking at "second tier" clubs like Hartfield, Gosnells, Lakelands etc. They would more than likely oblidge.

idgolfguy
2nd April 2009, 09:08 AM
Coming into Winter, many clubs do drop their nominations or reduce them. Hartfield Melville have reciprocal with about 5 other private clubs in Perth. I believe they are Gosnells, Royal Fremantle, Lakelands etc. I may be incorrect on those that I quote.

Sounds like a good deal when you can play multiple clubs for your one subscription. Melville is enjoyable. and out near Murdoch.

Johnny Canuck
2nd April 2009, 09:17 AM
vovo,

I commute to Kennedy Bay. No joining fee and an irressistable re-opening offer. Reasonable subs too. I drive from the city (40 mins each way). However it is one of perths best tracks.

Perth tracks..... Mt Lawley, Yokine, Cottesloe etc will either not take new members or won't be interested in monthly payment of sub.

You'd be looking at "second tier" clubs like Hartfield, Gosnells, Lakelands etc. They would more than likely oblidge.

Stay away from Gosnells. Overpriced crap.

Kwinana is a sleeper. Very underrated course and also reasonably priced.

adlo
2nd April 2009, 10:07 AM
Stay away from Gosnells. Overpriced crap.

Kwinana is a sleeper. Very underrated course and also reasonably priced.
Gosnells... agreed.

When are we playing Kwinana? I am sick of hearing about it.

vovo
2nd April 2009, 10:44 AM
well it seems that Kwinana and KB seem to be the best value so far and both require a drive of similar distances and both about the same price. The other decent courses look like i will have to layout about 3-5k initially, though i do like the reciprocity deal these clubs have, can't see myself paying that much.

How do social clubs work, you play a different course each week and pay green fees?

adlo
2nd April 2009, 10:49 AM
well it seems that Kwinana and KB seem to be the best value so far and both require a drive of similar distances and both about the same price. The other decent courses look like i will have to layout about 3-5k initially, though i do like the reciprocity deal these clubs have, can't see myself paying that much.

How do social clubs work, you play a different course each week and pay green fees?
Depends on the club. I played the same course each week, early Saturday mornings.

rebjon, another Ozgolfer, played with Cockburn WAGL for a year or two. They played Collier park every second week and rotated around other south of the river courses (Secret Harbour, Whaleback etc) the other week.

You just pay green fees. At our club we also payed a small comp fee and played for golf balls and wine prizes.

Kwinana will be 10-15 mins closer to Perth. I haven't played there, and while I have been told it is a nice parklands track, it will not be a Kennedy Bay.

adlo
2nd April 2009, 11:06 AM
vovo, if you want any more detailed info feel free to shoot me a PM.

rebjon
2nd April 2009, 12:16 PM
Mosman Park GC sounds like an option....

adlo
2nd April 2009, 12:22 PM
I have never played there, apparently quite nice, and fairly close to Nedlands area.

Looks like $1500ish plus a small nomination.

There is a member on these forums who could be the sponsor I'm sure.

I think I'd get sick of a 9 holer pretty quick (unless its name is Binningup)

idgolfguy
2nd April 2009, 08:12 PM
I have never played there, apparently quite nice, and fairly close to Nedlands area.

Looks like $1500ish plus a small nomination.

There is a member on these forums who could be the sponsor I'm sure.

I think I'd get sick of a 9 holer pretty quick (unless its name is Binningup)
I agree. Seems pricey for 9 holes and have played there for pennants a few years ago. Tee times may be an issue on comp days.

idgolfguy
2nd April 2009, 08:13 PM
Gosnells... agreed.

When are we playing Kwinana? I am sick of hearing about it.
I'd be interested in playing there at some stage too.

adlo
2nd April 2009, 08:51 PM
I'd be interested in playing there at some stage too.
OK, lets head there. JC has a mate who is a member, we may be able to play in the comp there.

idgolfguy
2nd April 2009, 09:31 PM
Say when!

Golfnut
2nd April 2009, 10:18 PM
Like Adlo says, Kwinana is definitely no KB but is an excellent parklands course indeed that plays very long (probably one of the longest in the Perth area) meaning you have to work really hard on the long par 4's.
Have had a few rounds there this year and have thoroughly enjoyed the course despite the score.
This would be my choice of clubs to join along with KB....very good value for money.
Looking forward to heading back there very soon.

Funnily enough I checked out Mosman Park Golf Club yesterday (didn't play though)....quite a busy little 9 holer also in excellent condition...only issue I could see is that there seemed to be a higher proportion of players that were quite old (nothing against the oldies) but it can make for a slower game if your stuck behind them.
From memory the nom. fee was around $250 and the annual fee was about $1250 so bascially on par with Kwinana....I know where my money would be going.

Johnny Canuck
2nd April 2009, 10:23 PM
OK, lets head there. JC has a mate who is a member, we may be able to play in the comp there.

I set something up for the second half of the month if Marty is in town. (works away)

adlo
2nd April 2009, 11:21 PM
I set something up for the second half of the month if Marty is in town. (works away)
Do it

Scottt
2nd April 2009, 11:24 PM
http://www.filmweb.no/bilder/multimedia/archive/00002/Ben_Stiller_i_Starsky_2572c.jpg
"Do it"

Johnny Canuck
2nd April 2009, 11:43 PM
http://l.yimg.com/g/images/spaceball.gifhttp://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/daveshawsky/starsky.jpg

adlo
2nd April 2009, 11:44 PM
You mean
http://content.ytmnd.com/content/d/8/f/d8fd09408953ae082df9aab7d1e00b4d.jpg

adlo
2nd April 2009, 11:44 PM
Beat me to it

qbnchopper
3rd April 2009, 09:13 PM
Mossy Park - no nomination, $1200 per year for 7 days, can be paid off in installments. Friendly bunch of guys - nice track in the fremantle doctor ... need to put it in the right spots (now I wouldn't be a member there would I ...)

Definitely an older crew - rounds on Sat morning a 4 - 4.5 hours .... saturday arvo a bit longer .... its not the oldies who slow it down, there are a few players who play as quickly as the pros ....

Golfnut
3rd April 2009, 09:49 PM
Hmmmm....not what I got quoted on Wednesday chopper....I was told the 6 day rate was just under $1100 + nomination fee!?!? Oh well, probably not one i'll join anyway

qbnchopper
3rd April 2009, 10:12 PM
Hmmmm....not what I got quoted on Wednesday chopper....I was told the 6 day rate was just under $1100 + nomination fee!?!? Oh well, probably not one i'll join anyway

Well I could be mistaken - I didn't think we had a nomination fee ... certainly haven't seen any note about it .....

GN - its not a bad place if you like the hills .... in terms of value for money in the area, it and seaview are the best (but I think that mp outshines seaview) ....

Edit: off the MPGC website - I'm living in a dream world ...

Nomination Fee

$250.00

Ordinary Member A
$1510.00

Membership Fee, GST, Irrigation Levy & Affiliation Fee. Full Playing Rights.
Ordinary Member B
$1325.00

Membership Fee, GST, Irrigation Levy & Affiliation Fee Six day access (excl. Sat)
Country Member
$465.00

Access on 12 occasions during the financial year.
Student
$420.00

Limited playing rights. Must be full-time student.

vovo
3rd April 2009, 10:38 PM
Nomination Fee

$250.00

Ordinary Member A
$1510.00

Thats what i saw on the website and wasn't overly impressed, though i don't know the track well enough to know.

I am not a huge fan of 18 holes and only 9 fairways as i find it quite slow and can only accommodate limited players at any one time, not to say this course is not great, I am also not too sure where I will be living long term, family in Cottesloe, so whilst I am settling in I will be staying there.

Being realistic, a game of golf takes 4.5 hours (maybe a quickie could take 4 hours) then add in socialising and its not a quick game, you don't get much change from an afternoon. So a couple hours driving compared to 15mins each way doesn't seem to make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things.
I quite often travel 45mins each way here but thats because golf is free.

I'll check out clubs when I get there, but for all the ranting and ravings about KB it will be quite hard to pass over, especially if they will honour that special they have on their website (it does say by the 31st of Jan though).

Does KB have any reciprocal clubs, or does Kwinana for that matter?

Thanks Guys
Vovo

adlo
4th April 2009, 08:17 AM
KB has reciprocals with Sun City and Sanctuary (Bunbury). Both decent courses.

The special at KB will be worthless for you by the time you get over here. However, drop myself of Johnny Canuck a line when you are here are come out for a look. Given the nature of the course, the majority of the field plays Sat AM before the wind gets too strong.

KB is a solid track and well worthy of the accolades it has received over the years.

Johnny Canuck
4th April 2009, 11:28 PM
hey aldo, get in the match play. 57 people right now. new high score!!! how long you away for? get in, get in my bracket and then default when you go away!

adlo
5th April 2009, 01:21 AM
I am in, signed up today. Away June 24 to July 17, so I will default the semi if I made it (highly unlikely)

Golfnut
5th April 2009, 02:06 AM
Well that's nice....booked to play out at Kwinana for early Sunday morning and my mates just bailed on me at 11pm....great form....oh well sleep in ;) but it sucks, was really looking forward to it too.

Johnny Canuck
5th April 2009, 08:17 AM
go anyway. golfing on your own is a great way to practice.

Golfnut
5th April 2009, 08:22 AM
Very true JC, do it mid week but at least 1 once a week with a partner keeps me sane......God I need to join a club :(

idgolfguy
5th April 2009, 08:34 AM
I'm in!

adlo
5th April 2009, 11:09 AM
Very true JC, do it mid week but at least 1 once a week with a partner keeps me sane......God I need to join a club :(
Yes you do.

I'm in!

Will wait for an update from JC.

adlo
7th April 2009, 07:50 PM
After waiting for simmsy to get me out on Hartfield CC for the past year, I took matters into my own hands and played 18 out there this afternoon with rebjon and Johnny Canuck's favourite golfer, Nuffie :)

Great track. Despite being dead flat it never feels boring. A great mix of holes, the only thing lacking is a short par 4 or two, and a short par 5. However, nice doglegs, superb bunkering. Kike fairways were lush (albeit narrow!) and the greens were fast and true. Overall, one of the best parkland members tracks in Perth and a real sleeper in my opinion. Possibly a better track than Yokine or Mt Lawley in my opinion. That may create a bit of controversy.....

Simmsy, I can see why you created a thread about getting out of those bunkers :shock: LW is your friend!

idgolfguy
7th April 2009, 11:07 PM
I have always enjoyed Hartfield. I believe it's an underated course. I think Yokine is a different style as the slopes come into play as does the breeze.

Have not played Mt Lawley - probably try to get a round there during the Holden Scramble this year.

adlo
7th April 2009, 11:09 PM
I think that is why Hartfield is great, it makes the most out of the site.

Yokine is on amazing land with great undulation and city views. Perhaps it slightly underachieves.

idgolfguy
7th April 2009, 11:15 PM
Gents (and ladies), if you're interested in playing the Vines.
The current deal is $35 for 18 on either course if you're with a member.

adlo
7th April 2009, 11:22 PM
Gents (and ladies), if you're interested in playing the Vines.
The current deal is $35 for 18 on either course if you're with a member.
Yes, yes and yes. Nuffie mentioned that today. That is awesome value for The Vines. When do you play?!!

idgolfguy
7th April 2009, 11:37 PM
Anytime - just have to try to schedule work around it or on the weekend.

adlo
7th April 2009, 11:39 PM
Cool, midweek a good option for me with work pretty quiet, however need to tee of by 2pm to get 18 in.

idgolfguy
7th April 2009, 11:45 PM
Just need a day or two's advance so I can start work early and head off from work at lunch.

I'm not sure, but if you play scroungers on Wednesday, it could be $25 instead. Either that or they have made comp rounds $35 too. Will have to check.

adlo
7th April 2009, 11:49 PM
OK mate, talk soon.

idgolfguy
7th April 2009, 11:58 PM
No probs - can book online and away we go!

simmsy
8th April 2009, 10:40 AM
After waiting for simmsy to get me out on Hartfield CC for the past year, I took matters into my own hands.....

Simmsy, I can see why you created a thread about getting out of those bunkers :shock: LW is your friend!

Thanks for the invite lads!!!!:lol:
I was out there yesterday on the range and then played 10-13, it's the first hit i've had since my little op back in Feb so been struggling to get out there myself.
Adlo, I'm sorry i failed you mate, we do have to get out there for a hit one day though. The way work is going i could soon have lots of time to play golf!!!!:shock::shock:

Those bunkers need a different kind of approach don't they Adlo? That crusty layer just does my head in sometimes. Will be playing my first round of golf there this arvo for over 2 months. It will be bad.

adlo
8th April 2009, 10:56 AM
simmsy, just messing with you., I know you haven't been well.

Hopefully you get back into it. And it sounds like a few of us might have more golfing time with the upcoming recession!

adlo
8th April 2009, 11:01 AM
69er, keep us posted. I'm a big chance to be there, which I am sure has just made your day.

rebjon
8th April 2009, 06:09 PM
Heads up lads.
I will be visiting your wonderful state next month and almost assured of playing The Cut on Wednesday morning May 6th.

Might even pop into Binningup on Sunday the 3rd on the way down to Marg River.

So can I guess Margs is getting some work done ???

rebjon
8th April 2009, 08:52 PM
Cute little course down there.......

If you get a chance check out Bunbury....

adlo
8th April 2009, 08:54 PM
Cute little course down there.......

If you get a chance check out Bunbury....
69er would need to work out how NOT to start tee shots 30m left of the fairway at Bunbury....

vovo
8th April 2009, 09:45 PM
And it sounds like a few of us might have more golfing time with the upcoming recession!

'twas certainly the case for me, golf was one of the few things keeping me sane during the job hunt. 2 1/2 months was worrying at first, but now that I have a job lined up, I am enjoying my holidays.

adlo
8th April 2009, 10:04 PM
So you are moving to WA for certain?

vovo
8th April 2009, 11:24 PM
So you are moving to WA for certain?

Yep, flying next week, though most of my stuff including my clubs will be taking the train, which takes a while longer.

adlo
9th April 2009, 10:28 AM
Early Sunday morning is a toss up between Bunbury and Binningup.

You will love either.

However, if you head to Binningup, please start planning on how to redeem the 8th hole. It is so bad. We decided our best idea is to move the green forward closer to the start of the pond (clear some vegetation on the RHS). There is a Tiger tee up the back if the hole needs to retain some length.

adlo
9th April 2009, 11:42 AM
That part of the equation is proving to be tricky @ Binningup.

They obviously have no problems massacring quality dogleg par 4's though.

adlo
9th April 2009, 07:44 PM
69er, I bet that land is making you.....

http://th05.deviantart.com/fs39/300W/f/2008/344/c/9/I_jizz_in_my_pants_by_HOLIMOUNT.jpg

Scottt
9th April 2009, 07:47 PM
A couple of pics of the new site.

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo272/gollfer69/binningup/IMG_0105.jpg

With so many bunkers already there, what's left for Ross to do?

Yossarian
23rd April 2009, 06:55 PM
You guys are making me well jealous, i've only played public courses in Perth. These private ones sound fantastic

adlo
24th April 2009, 08:01 PM
Had a look around Lakelands for the first time today.

While the course is certainly nothing special, the greens were beautiful. A touch too firm, but so true and so consistent.

Lakelands is a poorer cousin of courses like Hartfield and Bunbury, but still an enjoyable course. IMO Hartfield makes much better use of a "flat paddock" area that they are both built on.

And it is rated ACR 72 which surprised me. I played pretty poorly and quite comfortably had 34 points. On a good day you could smash that course.

Johnny Canuck
24th April 2009, 10:22 PM
Did you notice the retarded short par 4?

adlo
24th April 2009, 11:39 PM
There was only one short par 4 from memory, maybe #4?

No reward for risk.

idgolfguy
25th April 2009, 12:25 AM
Lakelands is like that. I seem to hit longer than the distance markers indicate. Next time I play there, will take my scope. I have played pennants there and haven't loss yet.

I think if you don't know the course and play it as you see it -it's one those where you will have a good score. Local knowledge tends to force you into taking unnecessary chances.

adlo
25th April 2009, 06:32 PM
Thinking about the course a little bit more, it is pretty average. I don't think I could see myself ever joining Lakelands.

The main thing it has going for it is conditioning. Its layout is no better than a decent public track.

Johnny Canuck
25th April 2009, 09:41 PM
Played The Cut today in their comp. It was nice to play a stroke round at the course so that I could get a true feel for it, as I have played a few ambroses and socials there before.

As I stated in another thread, it is easily the most overrated course in the country.

Besides the two terrible holes I mentioned in the worst hole thread http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?p=310577#post310577, the course simply lacks variety.

The front nine has 1 par 3, 1 par 5 and 7 par 4s.

We played off the blues as stipulated by the comp, but the tips aren't much further back.

Out of the 7 par 4s, 5 are between 291m and 339m. Depending on the hole it was either driver, wedge or 5 iron, wedge. The 9th is 370m, but with an easily cut dogleg (no trees), it too is driver, wedge. The 8th is a good, long par 4, but you can also cut a corner that you shouldn't be able to, due to no trees.

The back has 11 and 17, which are the two worst holes in WA. 10 remains a solid, good test of a par 4.
12, I love. On the water, dog leg over the dunes. The other members of my group hated it.
13, boring par 3.
14, great par 4.
15 is a joke. A 472m par 5 that doglegs right at 465m. They only had enough land to build a good par 4, but needed a par 5. Played it driver, sand wedge, pitching wedge.
16 is a funky par 3. 130m downhill. I love a good short par 3, but this one is a little "Mickey Mouse".
18 is an ok par 5 finisher, 516m, but has it's downfalls. I killed my driver and had 200m in. It is severely uphill, so you can't roll up your approach. I landed a hybrid on the front and ended up in the crap 30m long. If I chose to lay up, I would have had to hit either a lob or sand wedge for my second shot, otherwise you land on the hill and roll back down. The tee shot is almost a little unfair as well, due to the severe right to left slope of the fairway. It is a blind tee shot, but they give you a painted rock as a target line. I hit it over the rock, with a cut and still ended up on the left edge of the fairway. 1 guy lost a ball left, the other two were in the left rough, after good tee shots.

The course has a ton of blind tee shots, which is also a major complaint of a lot of people. Having played it a few times before, I do not mind this.

It is a fun course to play, but if you were to remove the scenery and the dunes that surround the fairways on some of the holes, it would compare to your local municipal course.

3 par 3s, of which I hit 9 iron, 7 iron, sand wedge. You could use some variety here and something a little longer. I love short par 3s, but I just can't get into 16.
3 par 5s. The first I hit a good drive and chose to lay up due to a ton a bunkers, good hole. The second is the dumbass dogleg and the 3rd the aforementioned finisher.
12 par 4s. The front 9 par 4s are very similar in the clubs that you will hit. The 8th is a good test, but needs something to punish you if you take the shortcut left.
The par 9 par fours are either great or horrible. 10, 12, 14 - all fantastic! 11 and 17, the worst in the country.

I also like to measure a course by the number of clubs that I hit. On the day, I never hit my 3 or 5 woods, 4iron, 6iron, or 8iron. I also hit my 9 iron once and PW twice. All up, I wasn't forced to play much of a variety of shots.

If you are going to play the course, bring your camera, take a cart and take some of the holes with a very big grain of salt. It is not worth paying the full rate, but more than worth a game if you can get on for a discounted rate.

Johnny Canuck
25th April 2009, 09:47 PM
In relation to other courses:

Aldo, I agree with you about that stupid little pond on the second at Lakelands. Hate it.

The 8th at Binningup is a bit hit and miss for me. As a longer hitter, I don't mind the added distance required. Aldo will attest that I like to go right to the tips on a few holes at Binningup to get the most out of them, the 8th is one of them. I still love the hole. However, the construction and rocks that were used is a total eyesore and it is totally out of place on such a beautiful track. I was really disappointed when I saw it for the first time.

adlo
26th April 2009, 12:30 AM
JC, I think a fair summary of The Cut. Some dizzying highs (and I stress some) and quite a few LOWS. Too many actually.

15 is a good example. Last time I played there both myself and MattM hit solid drives, about 200m from the green. So around 190m if you shoot over the corner. I hit 2 very solid attempts after my first approach was slightly right of target. The second attempt was perfectly struck and dead on target. MattM was convinced I would be within 10 feet. Get up to the green and after a long search both balls could not be found. We stood there for 5 minutes trying to fathom how we could not even find my second shot. Whenever I play the hole in the future, I will always be playing up to the corner and a wedge in. Stupid, stupid hole.

Johnny Canuck
26th April 2009, 09:49 AM
The PW that I hit into 15 was a totally blind shot. You have to lay up to less than about 40 metres to get a good look at the green. Very poorly designed, but you can tell the design was dictated by the need for a par 5 as well as a lack of land. The tees are small and pushed right back to the course boundary, which it itself is out of place as for that part of the course you seem totally secluded from the outside world.

It could make a nice, long, uphill par 4 without the dogleg at the end.

adlo
26th April 2009, 10:35 AM
JC, I understand what you are saying but I am not convinced Wilcher built the hole like that because he ran out of space. He has positioned multiple tee boxes/greens badly.... I think he is just an average course architect.

Yossarian
27th April 2009, 07:08 PM
Does KB still have the special membership deals available?

adlo
27th April 2009, 09:46 PM
Nope. Normal memberships will be as of July, 2009.

I am assuming they will have no nomination fee, but normal subs.

Scottt
27th April 2009, 10:47 PM
JC, I understand what you are saying but I am not convinced Wilcher built the hole like that because he ran out of space... I think he is just an average course architect.

Having played Pacific Dunes and heard LOTS about The Cu*t, I had formed a simialr opinion.

adlo
27th April 2009, 11:32 PM
Having played Pacific Dunes and heard LOTS about The Cu*t, I had formed a simialr opinion.
Hey, golf courses he works on can't even get his name right, how good can he be?

Scottt
28th April 2009, 07:17 AM
G69. I had extremely strong feelings on Pac Dunes and have read some strong stuff from peoplI respect on The Cu*t. I have at least volunteered that my opinion thus far is based on that alone.

For the time being, I cannot add to that base. If his website didn't require a password, I could see which other courses to arrange to play when I get home.

adlo
28th April 2009, 10:00 AM
So, you only need to see the works of one course to form an opinion of a blokes skills ?
Bit harsh.
69er, obviously you know the course design game pretty well, but in my opinion if I get to play one Wilcher course, I get to see 18 green complexes, 18 tee shots, 18 approaches, and 18 overly penal mickey mouse golf holes :mrgreen:

So the course architect has every chance to get it right.

He made a few great holes at The Cut, but considering he was given the best golfing real estate an architect has ever seen in Perth, the course is pretty average.

Bruce Dickinson
28th April 2009, 10:24 AM
69er, obviously you know the course design game pretty well, but in my opinion if I get to play one Wilcher course, I get to see 18 green complexes, 18 tee shots, 18 approaches, and 18 overly penal mickey mouse golf holes :mrgreen:

So the course architect has every chance to get it right.

He made a few great holes at The Cut, but considering he was given the best golfing real estate an architect has ever seen in Perth, the course is pretty average.

It might have been great real estate but it came with probably the tightest EPA requirements at any golf course which impacted considerably on what was achievable

adlo
28th April 2009, 10:28 AM
Very true Bruce.

However, use Johnny Canuck's example of 15. Just seems like a stupid par 5. EPA would not have affected that decision.

Edit: 69er, dunno. I lost 6 last time I was there. But a real hacker could lose 20, easily.

Bruce Dickinson
28th April 2009, 10:43 AM
Very true Bruce.

However, use Johnny Canuck's example of 15. Just seems like a stupid par 5. EPA would not have affected that decision.

Edit: 69er, dunno. I lost 6 last time I was there. But a real hacker could lose 20, easily.

that's my point, without knowing what vegetation teh architect was allowed clear or had to retain its hard to make a judgement.

adlo
28th April 2009, 10:50 AM
that's my point, without knowing what vegetation teh architect was allowed clear or had to retain its hard to make a judgement.

OK, in that case, I will cease to have an opinion on the layout.

Some of the green complexes are interesting.

adlo
28th April 2009, 11:11 AM
Understood 69er, I know you guys get a million restrictions put on you.

Johnny Canuck
28th April 2009, 11:53 AM
It might have been great real estate but it came with probably the tightest EPA requirements at any golf course which impacted considerably on what was achievable

The majority of the design "flaws" for lack of a better term have nothing to do with what could and couldn't be touched, see the 11 and 17th for example. Zero landing area on either hole that will leave a decent approach.

Also check out the back tees for 13. They are insanely close to the 12th green. My first time playing there, my mate pointed it out and said that they were dangerous. 30 seconds later I was calling him off his tee shot as an approach landed in the middle of our tee blocks.

Pleased to report zero balls lost last time out!

I am curious to hear 69er's take on the course, although I think he will go easy and not criticize another designer. Professional courtesy.

Bruce Dickinson
28th April 2009, 12:10 PM
The majority of the design "flaws" for lack of a better term have nothing to do with what could and couldn't be touched, see the 11 and 17th for example. Zero landing area on either hole that will leave a decent approach.

Also check out the back tees for 13. They are insanely close to the 12th green. My first time playing there, my mate pointed it out and said that they were dangerous. 30 seconds later I was calling him off his tee shot as an approach landed in the middle of our tee blocks.

Pleased to report zero balls lost last time out!

I am curious to hear 69er's take on the course, although I think he will go easy and not criticize another designer. Professional courtesy.

The other issue that Wilcher had was that a number of fairways had been cleared and grassed by the previous owners who were not course designers. These cleared areas have been used in the current design and have had an impact.

I'm not saying the place is perfect, but this site wasn't a simple greenfield project.

Johnny Canuck
28th April 2009, 12:53 PM
The other issue that Wilcher had was that a number of fairways had been cleared and grassed by the previous owners who were not course designers. These cleared areas have been used in the current design and have had an impact.

I'm not saying the place is perfect, but this site wasn't a simple greenfield project.

If you are building a world class golf course and you are unhappy with an area that has been grassed and cleared, you alter it accordingly. He could easily have flattened a few landing areas to make the course play a little bit better.

I shouldn't be hitting 225m 7 irons with no breeze and ending up in the same bunker I would have if I hit a 5 wood or my hybrid off the tee.

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the course, but its faults are glaring.

This is coming from a guy that loves Joonadalup, so I am no stranger to what some would call "tricked up" courses.

Bruce Dickinson
28th April 2009, 01:55 PM
If you are building a world class golf course and you are unhappy with an area that has been grassed and cleared, you alter it accordingly. He could easily have flattened a few landing areas to make the course play a little bit better.

I shouldn't be hitting 225m 7 irons with no breeze and ending up in the same bunker I would have if I hit a 5 wood or my hybrid off the tee.

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the course, but its faults are glaring.

This is coming from a guy that loves Joonadalup, so I am no stranger to what some would call "tricked up" courses.

I'm no huge fan of the course, just thought some of the comments about Wilcher's ability were a tad unfair.

Interesting that you mention Joondalup because Trent Jones Jr worked with a site with the obvious issue of the old quarries, asa member I think he did a pretty decent job :)

Johnny Canuck
28th April 2009, 02:35 PM
I've never commented on Wilcher's ability, I've just stated that The Cut is greatly flawed.

I love Joondalup. A good mate of mine worked there for a year and I spent many Sundays playing a minimum of 27 holes. There are not many holes that I dislike at all on the course.

I am a big fan of the Quarry 9, I just don't like 2 that much. Don't like the blind approach on the second par 3 too much, the rest is great.

The Lakes is solid, less spectacular than the other nines. I like every hole except 6.

The Dunes is a crazy 9, perhaps my favourite, but I can see how some would hate it.
1 is a great opener.
Love the elevated tee shot on 2.
3 is a bitch. I always want to hit for that little fairway on the right and always end up in the rough between the two.
4 is a great, long par 3.
5 has one of the most ridiculous greens I have ever seen. I refuse to play that hole as a three shotter just for the fun approach it demands if you go for it in two.
6 is a funky hole, which would drive some people nuts. I love the options it presents.
7 is ok, but I find it can be a little unfair with the narrow green on the left, especially to people who don't know the course. I like playing that hole from the back tees for 5.
8 sucks, boring. HOWEVER, if you go to the championship tees at the top of the hill, it is awesome!
9 is a good test, the risk/reward factor really comes in with the narrow landing area. Smart golf is to leave the driver in the bag.

Johnny Canuck
28th April 2009, 02:52 PM
nice, how many more did you get?

Yossarian
28th April 2009, 02:52 PM
mmmmm

Scottt
28th April 2009, 02:53 PM
JC and Adlo, what is your general opinion of blind shots?

Johnny Canuck
28th April 2009, 02:54 PM
same photo twice? if i print them, put them on top of each other and flip through will it look like something is moving?

Johnny Canuck
28th April 2009, 02:56 PM
JC and Adlo, what is your general opinion of blind shots?

it depends on the hole and the amount. the cut is filled with them, but it isn't one of my major complaints.

i have to play many blind shots each round when i hit behind trees.

Johnny Canuck
28th April 2009, 02:58 PM
i had two of the same pic on my screen when i wrote that message. you must have edited it quickly so that you didn't get the edited message!

Jarro
28th April 2009, 03:00 PM
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo272/gollfer69/kennedy%20bay/KBAH5-7.jpg

What the hell are all those little white dots along the fairway ?

Johnny Canuck
28th April 2009, 03:09 PM
What the hell are all those little white dots along the fairway ?

Bitches. there are 115 of them spread throughout the course.

Nice photos 69!

Jarro
28th April 2009, 03:13 PM
Bitches. there are 115 of them spread throughout the course.

Looks like a bit of overkill to me.

If you happen to land in one, do you have any chance of advancing the ball more then 50 meters ?

Jarro
28th April 2009, 03:15 PM
Dick, you're scaring away our dialup buddies :roll:

Scottt
28th April 2009, 03:28 PM

If you happen to land in one, do you have any chance of advancing the ball more then 50 meters ?

Hope not. The bunker as a legitimate hazard is a thing of beauty.

just
28th April 2009, 03:33 PM

For the most part, no.

Bruce Dickinson
28th April 2009, 03:39 PM
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo272/gollfer69/kennedy%20bay/KBH9-4.jpg

still think that removing the two bunkers on the right would make that hole far better, would entice driver off the tee for some

Scottt
28th April 2009, 03:41 PM
Why are there so many bunkers? (serious question)

Johnny Canuck
28th April 2009, 03:51 PM
still think that removing the two bunkers on the right would make that hole far better, would entice driver off the tee for some

Not really. You would then have to navigate a 90 degree dogleg at a minimum 45 degree angle, 240 out. The rough comes up so quickly at then end of the fairway that you really wouldn't gain much at all from hitting driver. Everything hit long will run through the fairway and will be lost, or you end up back at the tee as there is nowhere to drop.

If you play the course, it doesn't feel like bunker overkill at all. Keeps it a thinking man's game.

The odd bunker will present some risk reward, but you need to land in the front part for sure.

Bruce Dickinson
28th April 2009, 04:01 PM
Not really. You would then have to navigate a 90 degree dogleg at a minimum 45 degree angle, 240 out. The rough comes up so quickly at then end of the fairway that you really wouldn't gain much at all from hitting driver. Everything hit long will run through the fairway and will be lost, or you end up back at the tee as there is nowhere to drop.

If you play the course, it doesn't feel like bunker overkill at all. Keeps it a thinking man's game.

The odd bunker will present some risk reward, but you need to land in the front part for sure.
there's no thought in that tee shot though because the five bunkers in a line are like a brick wall, its 3 wood and then long iron to the green.
If driver makes the second shot 20 metres shorter its a big plus as the second's into the wind most times? I played with Adlo and hit 3 wood, 2 iron on a reasonably calm day.....

Johnny Canuck
28th April 2009, 04:20 PM
You can still cut the corner with a longer drive, you just carry the bunkers, which allows you to take a sharper angle and have more landing area. I don't hit driver now because I end up in the back trees as it is.

If you eliminate the two end bunkers, you have about 20 metres to stop your ball before it is in the scrub. 20 downhill metres on Kennedy fairways is like a 10 foot putt. The only way to play it from that angle would be to try and carry the second or third bunker, which is exactly what you have to do right now. Elminating those bunkers would lead to more golfers blowing it through the fairway and higher scores.

From the club selection that you had, you must have hit your tee shot well right of centre. Adam says you hit a longer ball, so if you were hitting two iron, you were either hitting into a decent wind, or were well right. If you keep it to the centre or left of it, you can hit 6 or 7 iron in.

The hole demands a well struck, accurate tee shot. If you don't hit it, you will have a lot of club in.

Bruce Dickinson
28th April 2009, 04:33 PM
You can still cut the corner with a longer drive, you just carry the bunkers, which allows you to take a sharper angle and have more landing area. I don't hit driver now because I end up in the back trees as it is.

If you eliminate the two end bunkers, you have about 20 metres to stop your ball before it is in the scrub. 20 downhill metres on Kennedy fairways is like a 10 foot putt. The only way to play it from that angle would be to try and carry the second or third bunker, which is exactly what you have to do right now. Elminating those bunkers would lead to more golfers blowing it through the fairway and higher scores.

From the club selection that you had, you must have hit your tee shot well right of centre. Adam says you hit a longer ball, so if you were hitting two iron, you were either hitting into a decent wind, or were well right. If you keep it to the centre or left of it, you can hit 6 or 7 iron in.

The hole demands a well struck, accurate tee shot. If you don't hit it, you will have a lot of club in.

I was about twenty metres right of the last fairway bunker and had 180 odd into a slight breeze, I'd hazard a guess that most people end up that distance away from the bunkers as its a shot penalty if you go in any of them.

I just don't see the need for that many bunkers on the inside of the dogleg on a hole that doglegs that much, even without the bunkers their the tee shot wouldn't be easy beacuse as you have said you can run through the dogleg easily

Johnny Canuck
28th April 2009, 05:10 PM
I can see what you are saying, as I often run a 4 iron up into one of the last two and curse at being penalised for a half decent tee shot. However, I usually know as soon if I've hit it that I have cut it too close. I find it is part of the risk/reward aspect of it. If I want to really risk it, I'll try and fly the corner with the driver, which only ends up happening on the second tee shot in a stableford round or in an ambrose day. Too much risk otherwise.

For me, eliminating the bunkers would not influence my tee shot one bit.

Scottt
28th April 2009, 06:03 PM
But wouldn't it allow you to hit 4i with a much smaller chance of finding sand?

Golfnut
28th April 2009, 06:14 PM
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo272/gollfer69/kennedy%20bay/KBAH5-7.jpg

What the....? Is that a double green???

Scottt
28th April 2009, 06:15 PM
Good pick-up.

Golfnut
28th April 2009, 06:21 PM
Haven't seen one of them in a while! :)....Didn't know we had this phenomenon here in Perth.

Golfnut
28th April 2009, 06:22 PM
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo272/gollfer69/kennedy%20bay/KBH9-4.jpg

Looks very Secret Harbourish!!!

Johnny Canuck
28th April 2009, 06:22 PM
But wouldn't it allow you to hit 4i with a much smaller chance of finding sand?

Yes it would. I could also drive more greens if I hit from the ladies.

Who wants to make it easier? Harden the f*..uc,k up!

What the....? Is that a double green???

It is a huge double green.

I think I am the only person to play both holes in the same round and land on the far side of the wrong flag.

The 7th (the bottom hole) was around the middle. The 5th was tucked on the right side, so I really missed my 7th approach bad (from one of those evil bunkers).

Both putts were over 120 feet. I two putt both for par. I then asked the question how I can do that, but still three jack from 10 feet?

I was pretty bad. I had to wait for the group on 5 to putt out and then delay the group in the fairway from hitting while I took a 3/4swing with a putter.

Scottt
28th April 2009, 06:25 PM
Yes it would. I could also drive more greens if I hit from the ladies.

Who wants to make it easier? Harden the f*..uc,k up!

harder = better?

I've not played the course, but it looks over-bunkered in the driving zones from what I have seen.

115 is a sh!tload of traps.

Of the links I have played over here so far, I'm trying to think of a single hole bunkered both sides of the driving zone, and yet they are not easy courses.

Bruce Dickinson
28th April 2009, 06:27 PM
love that seventh hole at KB, nothing better than a short par 4 that you can make 2 or 7 on

Bruce Dickinson
28th April 2009, 06:30 PM
harder = better?

I've not played the course, but it looks over-bunkered in the driving zones from what I have seen.

Of the links I have played over here so far, I'm trying to think of a single hole bunkered both sides of the driving zone, and yet they are not easy courses.

I played with Adlo their about two months ago and didn't go in one fairway trap (a mix of luck and planning), if you know where to go at KB a lot of the fairway bunkers can be avoided

Johnny Canuck
28th April 2009, 06:38 PM
harder = better?

I never said harder was better. What I am saying is that it is a great hole and doesn't need changing at all. Why make it easier?

If you play the course, you'll find that the bunkers are very fair, with the exception of two little bunkers on 4 where the balls can feed into. If there are bunkers on both sides they are staggered so that you can't reach both (with the exception of 5).

The majority of the bunkers are on the edges of the fairways and placed in spots that actually stop you from going into the scrub and losing balls.

The fairways are wide and the greens are big. You deserve to be punished in some way if you miss them.

The hole that you can see that is guarded on both sides is the 5th, called "Thread the Needle". The bunkers make it risk/reward and it is by far one of the best holes on the course.

While there are that many bunkers, it really doesn't play as such. In reality, the total area covered by them would probably be much less than most resort courses as the bunkers are quite small.

You should get out here for a game Scott and then pass judgment, instead of judging it from an airiel photo or two. The 9th doesn't even show half the hole, but you would already like to fill in some bunkers!

Scottt
28th April 2009, 06:39 PM
Because they are in the wrong areas?

If so, could they be filled in without reducing the challenge of the course?

Johnny Canuck
28th April 2009, 06:40 PM
love that seventh hole at KB, nothing better than a short par 4 that you can make 2 or 7 on

Exactly. It's sooooooo tempting on a calm day!

I played with Adlo their about two months ago and didn't go in one fairway trap (a mix of luck and planning), if you know where to go at KB a lot of the fairway bunkers can be avoided

Correct. Know where to hit and you'll have no problems.

Scottt
28th April 2009, 06:41 PM
You should get out here for a game Scott and then pass judgment, instead of judging it from an airiel photo or two. The 9th doesn't even show half the hole, but you would already like to fill in some bunkers!

That's why I volunteered up front that I hadn't played it, but Dicky's pics aren't my first sight of the holes/course.

adlo
28th April 2009, 08:12 PM
G69, cheers for the great pics.

Wow, what was I thinking? Off working when a Kennedy Bay discussion was going on.

Scottt, Kennedy Bay has a lot of bunkers, no doubt. If you play there once you may feel it is over bunkered. But as a members course it is not over bunkered. As JC has pointed out, the fairways (for the most part) are very wide and the greens very large.

Kennedy Bay is set up to predominately play into a headwind or tailwind, so you do not often have crosswinds pushing balls into bunkers.

Fairways that are bunkered both sides are bunkered at different distances from the tee and force you to think about line of play and club selection.

The best $5 you can ever spend at KB is a course guide.... and know your yardages well. If you know your yardages well you won't have a problem.

The fairway bunkers on #4 seem to be the only poor bunkers on the course, and that could be fixed by leveling the fairway.

I often play a round at KB and will land in a maximum of 1-2 bunkers. However, when I play a resort course like Joondalup or the Vines I land in more than that. Don't forget, we could fit 20 pot bunkers in a large Joondalup greenside bunker. So 3-4 pot bunkers around a green isn't that bad. You can miss the green and you won't necessarily be in a trap.

Golfnut, terrible comparison. I will correct you... you should have said Secret Harbour looks a lot like Kennedy Bay. Not vice versa.

Bruce Dickinson, #9 is a funny hole. I tend to agree the bunkering extends too far into the fairway. Less bunkering wouldn't really open up a more aggressive line though. It does dogleg pretty hard left. It would probably just mean you drive on the line of the current bunkers instead of playing out right as a safe option.

Jarro, most KB bunkers are as good as a full shot penalty. PW would be a best case scenario, LW would be the norm :(

Scottt
28th April 2009, 08:21 PM
G69, cheers for the great pics.
I often play a round at KB and will land in a maximum of 1-2 bunkers. However, when I play a resort course like Joondalup or the Vines I land in more than that. Don't forget, we could fit 20 pot bunkers in a large Joondalup greenside bunker. So 3-4 pot bunkers around a green isn't that bad. You can miss the green and you won't necessarily be in a trap.

One important variable is the increased likelihood of awkward lies and stances or bunker walls interefering with your swing in a small pot bunker that is part of a cluster as opposed to a large 'parkland' bunker.

I'm not saying that is bad or unfair, simply different.

My only observation is that there is a lot of sand there, more than you might se on some of the famed courses that I imagine may have inspired KB's designer. I merely wonder, as someone who has perved a lot but not played, how many of the 115 add to the design.

Re: fairway traps at staggered lengths, I find a weak cut travels shorter off the tee than when I hook one. That being so, a RHS pot at 210-220m and a LHS pot at 235-250m would both be in play for me, given the shot that will lead to me finding them.

adlo
28th April 2009, 08:30 PM
Suprisingly you get decent lies at KB a lot of the time. The hard sand seems to filter the ball down pretty fairly. Bunker walls are a different story.

I agree the amount of bunkers is a modern take of "classic" courses. However, KB has much less undulation in the fairways than a lot of classic links courses. So, while you could eliminate some of the bunkers, it wouldn't be that many. Maybe between 10-20 total. If you ever make it out west, come and play it more than twice and you will see. It is a great course design. It is hard to judge that from pics.

After walking the course with MattM, I picked his brains a bit as we walked. We discussed how on a lot of holes at KB, the bunkers can be used as driving lines or markers (which apparently Norman does a lot of too). We have wide fairways, so make the most of it. I hit a straight to gentle cut off the tee, which will travel around 230m with roll on a still day, so I hit a lot of gentle cuts off LH fairway bunkers and it works a treat. It is not rocket science. JC hits a 210m 4 iron than runs hard, so he uses a different club, but a similar approach.

rebjon
28th April 2009, 08:44 PM

Yep and Yep

Scottt
28th April 2009, 08:44 PM
After walking the course with MattM, I picked his brains a bit as we walked. We discussed how on a lot of holes at KB, the bunkers can be used as driving lines or markers (which apparently Norman does a lot of too). We have wide fairways, so make the most of it. I hit a straight to gentle cut off the tee, which will travel around 230m with roll on a still day, so I hit a lot of gentle cuts off LH fairway bunkers and it works a treat. It is not rocket science. JC hits a 210m 4 iron than runs hard, so he uses a different club, but a similar approach.

This is something that I have noticed on all the seaside courses I've played, and I like it. At Deal, there are seven holes where my driving line is directly at a bunker I know I could clear with a hybrid or else not reach in a pink fit. I quite like it.

I do plan to make a WA trip a priority when I get home. Many courses there I'd like to see.

adlo
28th April 2009, 08:48 PM
I think you will like KB.

Play The Cut to see all the fuss. Joondalup is worth a look too if you want to see the most intense Resort course that could be built.

Scottt
28th April 2009, 08:54 PM
Lake Kurrinyup?

Either of the Royal tracks (Perth and Freeo) worth a look? I'll have reciprocals, so would be a shame to miss something worth seeing...

adlo
28th April 2009, 08:58 PM
Karrinyup is meant to be lovely, post renovations especially. MM is trying to hook me a game up atm.

Royal Perth is overrated poo. I believe Freo is nice, but way better courses need to be prioritized. Neither of the Royals will change your life.

Scottt
28th April 2009, 09:00 PM
Karrinyup's online course tour appears to have been done during renos. Not a good look!

adlo
28th April 2009, 09:06 PM
They are far too old school for an up to date website!

Actually most websites for courses over here are embarrassing.

Yossarian
28th April 2009, 09:48 PM
royal perth is average at best just like well mantained public track really

Scottt
28th April 2009, 09:51 PM
Looks narrow and very up&back.

idgolfguy
28th April 2009, 09:55 PM
If you're interested - I can get you on the Vines fairly cheaply but not on a Saturday on the member's course (The Lakes). You'd have to play the Ellenbrook. Any other day is fine but will need notice if it is a week day so that I can take a day off work. Both 18s are a different style to what has been discussed here.

Bruce Dickinson
29th April 2009, 09:43 AM
Karrinyup is meant to be lovely, post renovations especially. MM is trying to hook me a game up atm.

Royal Perth is overrated poo. I believe Freo is nice, but way better courses need to be prioritized. Neither of the Royals will change your life.

have you played Royal Perth?

TourFit
29th April 2009, 12:02 PM
To me RP is WAY overrated...Kikuyu too (which I don't like!). Very small property, very flat, holes up and back and very close together...

RF is much better. Also Kikuyu (which I don't like!). Better layout, more undulating, tougher, better greens than RP

Karrinyup is great. The changes made are substantial on some holes (completely 'new' hole on 12), not so on others (like 8). Most of the reno's were to re-do the greens which are now VERY hard, make the bunkers more 'rugged' looking and put them back into the original positions (from old aerial photos). Tree removal was massive (about 1500 or so I think) because they had started to badly encroach on playing lines etc (such as 2, 10, 11, 13, 14, 16, 18). They also opened up HUGE areas so that you could see neighbouring holes...

Agree with comments made on The Cut...

Hot & cold about Joondalup. Brother in law is now a member so makes it easier for me to play more regularly...once over the wow factor, to me it is NOT a great layout. Too many mickey mouse holes for my liking (then again my preference has ALWAYS been for the genuine links style golf I grew up with in Scotland)

Mt Lawley is now a great track. Recent reno's over the last three years have improved many holes and condition is always good. Less difference between best and worst holes than many other courses, good mix of short 4's and long 4's, reachable Par 5's and 3 shotters, short 3's and longer ones. A very well balanced course.

Sun City and Kwinana are underarted, and with some conditioning and tweaking could be great tracks. They are good now, especially the layout at Sun City...

idgolfguy
29th April 2009, 12:13 PM
Have played RP twice in the last three years - did not come wanting to play there in the immediate future. The condition is good but felt a little closed in and not a great deal of variety.

Looking forward to playing Mt Lawley during the Holden Scramble as I have not played there as yet.

adlo
8th May 2009, 10:20 AM
Nice one 69er, although I would like to see your opinion of the Cut if you were having a bad day off the tee.

Even if it is not Wilchers fault, it is so silly to have such narrow corridors on a windy coastal track.

I would love to see Bunbury with some money spent there, don't think it will ever happen though.....

Next time you head to Binningup we should make a day of it.

adlo
8th May 2009, 10:32 AM
There's always a silver lining

Scottt
8th May 2009, 02:22 PM
How wide are they from crap left to crap right?