PDA

View Full Version : WA Golf Courses

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32

Bruce Dickinson
3rd June 2013, 01:31 PM
I think option one is the correct answer

SeldomEagles
3rd June 2013, 02:10 PM
Went retro and played Wembley Old last week, **** that place has changed!! Was nice to play a course with 18 greens in play. At only $28.50 was a bargain.

Johnny Canuck
3rd June 2013, 02:56 PM
Went retro and played Wembley Old last week, **** that place has changed!! Was nice to play a course with 18 greens in play. At only $28.50 was a bargain.

Holy Crap! Welcome back AB.

simmsy
3rd June 2013, 05:31 PM
Blast from the past!

You still rockin Penny?

Veefore
3rd June 2013, 07:48 PM
Congrats on the hole in one SE.

We played Collier Park today. I really enjoyed it. Even the greens were pretty good. Consistent speed and a nice roll.

Pieface
3rd June 2013, 08:48 PM
Played wanneroo today. It was in great nick. I think I sank more putts over 6 feet than I ever have

simmsy
3rd June 2013, 09:10 PM
Good track Wanneroo hey!

Wish it wasn't so far away would play it more.

Johnny Canuck
3rd June 2013, 09:14 PM
Wanneroo is a super fun track.

Face, congrats on the two pack of putts.

I can also report that I have moved house and know the exact location of your putter cover ;).

Johnny Canuck
3rd June 2013, 09:20 PM
Wanneroo is a super fun track.

Face, congrats on the two pack of putts.

I can also report that I have moved house and know the exact location of your putter cover ;).

rubin
4th June 2013, 11:25 AM
FWIW - Secrets is in great condition for the most part. Greens are running fairly quick (Not quite lolly quick), but are still soft enough to hold most approach shots. Fairways are looking good, and the first cut is long enough to penalise, but not too long as to make it unplayable.

Pieface
4th June 2013, 11:48 AM
A two pack of posts for my two pack of putts.

Good to hear mate. Hope the move went smoothly for you.

I probably need to play it a few more times to cement the thinking but I think I'd put Wanneroo ahead of SH, Meadows and the Vines courses. I might think it was overly dog-leggy after more play but it certainly has a better balance than Sun City in that regard.

A surprising amount of elevation change that makes for some interesting holes. I really liked 3 even though I butchered it with a triple.

Shame I played so poorly after a good start but I think I have managed to take a few things from it. Just basic mistakes on slopes that caused mishits and then started to decelerate into shots as the confidence wavered. I am really starting to see a consistent shot shape response to how I'm setting up to the ball. I can't say I've ever had this level of understanding when standing over the ball before.

I'll get you next time golf!

idgolfguy
4th June 2013, 12:01 PM
I wouldn't put it ahead of the Vines except in conditioning. The designs are different. Different style of course. Maybe Meadow Springs. SH like the Vines is a resort-based design.

Have played A lot of Pennants there and never lost. It's in the same era as Chequers, Sun City etc. Doglegs at the 200 ish mark. RF in the same category.

Pieface
4th June 2013, 12:28 PM
Was just an IMHO id. I'm sure we all have different things that float our boats and you have probably played a billion more dog-leg @ 200m type holes than I have.

I get out so rarely that I'd probably praise Mangers if I got to have a hit there ;)

idgolfguy
4th June 2013, 01:40 PM
Understand totally. I like Wanneroo's layout - wasn't having a dig. I think the conditioning of Wanneroo is up there with the best in WA. In terms of layout, Sun City and Wanneroo are very similar. Some elevated greens, fairways that run forever, smaller, protected greens.

The fairways and 1st cut are narrow which test the longer hitters if they are using drivers.

For the record, I like the Marangaroo layout as well as Embleton.

Pieface
4th June 2013, 02:13 PM
I liked SC pretty well too. Maybe I am just a child of the 70's :D

SeldomEagles
4th June 2013, 02:22 PM
Thanks JC, has been a while.
Still rocking Penny Simmsy, she is getting a bit old now so looking at her younger sister later this week.
Thanks Veefore was made nicer by not going wipe wipe on the next 2 holes. Ace (eagle), par par has a far better ring to it.

Johnny Canuck
4th June 2013, 02:24 PM
Another ace? Sweet. What hole?

SeldomEagles
5th June 2013, 11:31 AM
12 again JC. Started on the 10th and choked the other 3 attempts to do a Dodt

Johnny Canuck
5th June 2013, 01:05 PM
Great work! You changing your name to Often Eagles?

idgolfguy
7th June 2013, 08:55 AM
Playing Sun City at lunchtime today. Hopefully in nice condition. Been a few years since I've played there.

Yossarian
7th June 2013, 10:08 AM
Isn't it still in the midst of reconstruction?

Mububban
7th June 2013, 10:18 AM
Just one more course to add to my list for "one day."

Is it worth the travel and the $50?

Pieface
7th June 2013, 10:40 AM
Sun City was par 69 when I played it in March:

The 2nd is currently a par 3 using the green complex of 2

8 was out of play and they had turned the ninth into a short par 4 as the 8th and the 9th as a par 3.

10 was a par three due to homeowners down the RHS sooking about catching tee shots all the time.

Let us know how you go ID. Apart from the fairways being a bit long (maybe to help the old boy members get the ball up?) and a few areas of generalised "lumpiness" - I think maybe a history of roos digging might be the cause - it was in pretty good nick when I was there.

Here's the latest spiel from the redevelopment archi for anyone interested http://www.suncitycountryclub.com.au/cms/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/OC_notes.pdf

(http://www.suncitycountryclub.com.au/cms/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/OC_notes.pdf)

idgolfguy
7th June 2013, 10:48 AM
$25 for a round.

Pieface
7th June 2013, 10:49 AM
That's cheaper than Mangers! :)

Mububban
7th June 2013, 01:32 PM
That's $25 if you're a member's guest? I was looking at the Visitor rate

G.K
7th June 2013, 01:33 PM
A mate played there last Friday and reported it to be in good condition. Obviously taking into account the reno's.

Looks like a cracking day for it ID. I'm just ever so slightly jealous sitting here at my desk.

idgolfguy
7th June 2013, 06:51 PM
Still love the course. Played off the Whites, so relatively easy length wise.

Some nice changes that are apparent now. The greens were in good condition as were the fairways.

After the Vines, I'm not used to well cut holes. Bogeyed the first 4 holes by burning the edges.

Finished 39 on Par 34 on the front. 36 on Par 35 on the back.

Thoroughly enjoyed the course. The guy I played with was a new 6-day member. Guests price was $25.

Pieface
7th June 2013, 08:51 PM
Sounds like you had a day out id :)

How did you tackle 11?

What did you think of the new holes14, 15, 16 iirc?

idgolfguy
7th June 2013, 10:00 PM
Flew the bunker on the drive and had 138m in. Off the whites, its a 211m carry.

Pieface
7th June 2013, 10:03 PM
Easy par nice.

idgolfguy
7th June 2013, 10:03 PM
What did you think of the new holes14, 15, 16 iirc?I like them. Less dog legs and more about ball placement.

Pieface
7th June 2013, 10:06 PM
cool.

I thought they were some of the stronger holes on the course.

...although I thought dog legs were all about placement too :p

idgolfguy
7th June 2013, 10:21 PM
cool.

I thought they were some of the stronger holes on the course.

...although I thought dog legs were all about placement too :p

I agree but if they are too far, it puts players at a disadvantage. Sun City had those issues which made it harder for many players.

qbnchopper
8th June 2013, 12:27 PM
munch munch munch munch .... that's me eating some humble pie ... Royal Freo's greens are getting much better - still not up to their standard for 15/16 tho ... but coming along ok ... personally I think there is still a heap of winter grass in some of them (that was what they were trying to kill I believe) ....

Mububban
9th June 2013, 03:55 PM
El Caballo has an enjoyable layout, the greens are in good nick and roll very true. They're faster than the slow public greens I'm used to, but not as fast as Gosnells according to my mate who's a member and played with me today.
The owner was apologetic in advance for the state of the fairways, he said give him a couple of years and he'll have them looking good. The first few were terrible, like playing golf in someone's paddocks, but they got better after the first few holes.

I drove well but that was about all, 45 on the front 9 and fell apart with a 55 on the back 9. Sad face. But I can't blame the course conditions for my high score.
I wouldn't drive that far again in a hurry unless I had another discount voucher, but if it was closer I'd happily play there regularly. Maybe with some of those floating golf balls this time.

G.K
9th June 2013, 04:11 PM
Sounds similar to when I played there at the start of the year. You could see that they had obviously been focusing all their efforts on the greens and tees which were in reasonable condition.

I'm of the same opinion. I wouldn't drive out there again in a hurry. I didn't mind the layout but unfortunately, it's just that bit too far from Perth to get the patronage needed to make enough money to be able to bring the course up to standard. I reckon the owner must have all his fingers crossed that retirement/lifestyle villiage that is being built next to it takes off at some point so they may at least get some regular income to give them half a chance.

Archi
10th June 2013, 10:56 AM
Heading to joonadalup for a 2 x man ambrose today , a month since my last hit - hope Razr Fit performs well first up after a spell

rubin
10th June 2013, 11:07 AM
PLayed Ellenbrook yesterday with Ashes and Ashes Snr.

having been told earlier in the week that the greens were pretty average, I wasn't expecting much, but they were still a let down.

3 or 4 weeks now after coring, and whilst the sand has mostly gone, they are stil incredibly rough and bumpy, and very very inconsistent on speed. Didn't help that it was raining as well i guess, but a bit disappointed overall.

brad352
10th June 2013, 12:03 PM
More like 6 isn't it? Two weeks of PGN comps on the Lakes straight after it and we've been back on Ellenbrook for 4. Definitely disappointing so far out

Pencil
10th June 2013, 12:17 PM
Waiting to tee off at Gosnells hoping not to chop it like the last couple of rounds.

rubin
10th June 2013, 12:22 PM
More like 6 isn't it? Two weeks of PGN comps on the Lakes straight after it and we've been back on Ellenbrook for 4. Definitely disappointing so far out

don't think i'll be back up for to the Vines for a few weeks at least now. I know its the public course and greens are left slightly longer etc, but it doesn't make for a fun day on the greens.

Mububban
10th June 2013, 12:50 PM
Waiting to tee off at Gosnells hoping not to chop it like the last couple of rounds.

What's chopping for you Pencil, a 75? :)

PLayed Ellenbrook yesterday with Ashes and Ashes Snr.

having been told earlier in the week that the greens were pretty average, I wasn't expecting much, but they were still a let down.

3 or 4 weeks now after coring, and whilst the sand has mostly gone, they are stil incredibly rough and bumpy, and very very inconsistent on speed. Didn't help that it was raining as well i guess, but a bit disappointed overall.

Heading there this Saturday, sounds awesome...

rubin
10th June 2013, 01:38 PM
What's chopping for you Pencil, a 75? :)

Heading there this Saturday, sounds awesome...

It's still not a bad course - overall its in good nick, and the layout is very enjoyable. Just the greens are a bit under par there atm.

Pencil
10th June 2013, 02:01 PM
What's chopping for you Pencil, a 75? :) Heading there this Saturday, sounds awesome...Ha I wish, that's a good day. I had a solid 83 on Friday with 4 birds. I've got no idea where its going from shot to shot.

idgolfguy
10th June 2013, 03:51 PM
AGM tomorrow night. Will see what the committee is going to say.

I expect to justify any fees increase, they will promise anything.

I had a chat to one of the board a few weeks ago and he mentioned increasing the staff from 14 to 28. There is a drive to get the course back into the top 20 over the next few years.

IMO, empty promises.

Bruce Dickinson
10th June 2013, 04:02 PM
AGM tomorrow night. Will see what the committee is going to say.

I expect to justify any fees increase, they will promise anything.

I had a chat to one of the board a few weeks ago and he mentioned increasing the staff from 14 to 28. There is a drive to get the course back into the top 20 over the next few years.

IMO, empty promises.

That's a lot of extra rounds/members to pay for 14 extra staff. Would need to generate at least $740,000 to cover the cost

idgolfguy
10th June 2013, 04:04 PM
Membership is around $2.6M per year.

Bruce Dickinson
10th June 2013, 04:07 PM
Membership is around $2.6M per year.
so the additional costs would come out of the existing membership revenue?

Johnny Canuck
10th June 2013, 04:08 PM
AGM tomorrow night. Will see what the committee is going to say.I expect to justify any fees increase, they will promise anything.I had a chat to one of the board a few weeks ago and he mentioned increasing the staff from 14 to 28. There is a drive to get the course back into the top 20 over the next few years.IMO, empty promises. surely top 20 in the Perth area should be achievable without having to double staff numbers?

idgolfguy
10th June 2013, 05:16 PM
It will be made clear to us tomorrow evening.

Top 20 in Australia was his comment. However, I think that would be unreasonable considering when the course was built an without major reconstruction.

rubin
10th June 2013, 05:44 PM
surely top 20 in the Perth area should be achievable without having to double staff numbers?

It will be made clear to us tomorrow evening.

Top 20 in Australia was his comment. However, I think that would be unreasonable considering when the course was built an without major reconstruction.

I don't thinks it's unreasonable at all. The course itself (layout) is great, and the composite course (or whatever they call it) is pretty good too. IMO, it just needs a little facelift, some of it is starting to look aged and the general conditioning could be bumped up a bit.

But there's also the pool, the gym, the tennis courts............

Pieface
10th June 2013, 05:54 PM
Well played rubin :)

rubin
10th June 2013, 06:19 PM
seriously though Vic, has there been any consideration at all in going the other way (membership wise)?

Ellenbrook and its surrounding area's would have to be some of the fastest developing suburbs in the Metro Area (I still can't believe ellenbrook is considered metro now). Surely if the club dropped its prices, its memberships would go through the roof and there's the extra coin needed straight away. Let's face it, alot of the people out there are FI-FO workers anyway, so they'll only be using the course once or twice every 3 weeks.

I know there is a balance in getting membership # to $, but it would have to be something worth considering if they are looking to double their staff etc.

simmsy
10th June 2013, 06:25 PM
Anyone heard if Mr. Packer is looking to buy in?

he is apparently looking for a golf course for his guests, Vines to me would be the perfect fit.

rubin
10th June 2013, 06:41 PM
Anyone heard if Mr. Packer is looking to buy in?

he is apparently looking for a golf course for his guests, Vines to me would be the perfect fit.

Not sure if i read it somewhere, or someone told me, but I think he's looking at Maylands.

I'm not sure if its correct or not, but I can see the attraction. RP, Mt Lolly and WAGC are out of the picture in terms of proximity to the city.

Be good if he did, buy it and fix it the **** up.

idgolfguy
10th June 2013, 07:03 PM
I have an issue with how the club has dealt with FIFO. IMO, Full fee paying members should get priority to comp days on Lakes - particularly Saturdays during Winter. Ellenbrook Winter comp is available for overflow for FIFO an juniors.

idgolfguy
10th June 2013, 07:09 PM
seriously though Vic, has there been any consideration at all in going the other way (membership wise)?

Ellenbrook and its surrounding area's would have to be some of the fastest developing suburbs in the Metro Area (I still can't believe ellenbrook is considered metro now). Surely if the club dropped its prices, its memberships would go through the roof and there's the extra coin needed straight away. Let's face it, alot of the people out there are FI-FO workers anyway, so they'll only be using the course once or twice every 3 weeks.

I know there is a balance in getting membership # to $, but it would have to be something worth considering if they are looking to double their staff etc.
Why? FiFO already pay less than 50%. Life and Leisure membership is $395 for use facilities funded by full-fee paying members.

A lot of the resort maintenance is funded by membership. The membership do not own the golf course.

idgolfguy
10th June 2013, 07:14 PM
The golf club is supposed to be non-profit. It is very profitable with fund going to the owners. Some creative maths and constitution interpretation.

For $2400, it's still good value.

Johnny Canuck
10th June 2013, 09:02 PM
I don't thinks it's unreasonable at all. The course itself (layout) is great, and the composite course (or whatever they call it) is pretty good too. IMO, it just needs a little facelift, some of it is starting to look aged and the general conditioning could be bumped up a bit.But there's also the pool, the gym, the tennis courts............ Do PGN get to play the composite course often?Don't forget about squash.

Veefore
10th June 2013, 10:25 PM
Why? FiFO already pay less than 50%. Life and Leisure membership is $395 for use facilities funded by full-fee paying members.

A lot of the resort maintenance is funded by membership. The membership do not own the golf course.

FIFO memberships have turned out to be a bit of a loser at our club. We had to do it to prevent losing too many to the Vines but rather than gaining extra members, all it did was cost us 7 day members who switched to the cheaper plan and still play the same amount of golf, which is often more than the regular 7 day members.
That's always the problem when you introduce cheaper membership categories. Rarely does it attract new members.

I've been reading lately about clubs in the US and Europe dropping the different categories and having a single membership category. Afterall, most 7 day members only play once a week. On average 5 day (and some 6 day) members actually play more than the 7 day members.

Yossarian
10th June 2013, 10:45 PM
PGN for all!

Ashes
10th June 2013, 11:08 PM
PGN for all!

Leather wedges for all.

idgolfguy
10th June 2013, 11:16 PM
Do PGN get to play the composite course often?Don't forget about squash.
The composite is never used used for club competition. Members periodically schedule it if time is available.

The composite is Ellenbrook 1,2, 12-18 and Lakes 10-18.

Ashes
10th June 2013, 11:29 PM
The composite is never used used for club competition. Members periodically schedule it if time is available.

The composite is Ellenbrook 1,2, 12-18 and Lakes 10-18.

Would you rather play Lakes or the composite?

idgolfguy
10th June 2013, 11:30 PM
There is benefit in a membership that excludes Saturday comps. A 6-day membership is about $800 less which is still more expensive than FIFO. The Saturday comp round is premium throughout Australia and used to be in the US during the 70s and 80s.

I am one of the few who get full value out my $2400 as I would get to play every Saturday, 20 Wednesdays and about 20 Sundays. That's about another $600 in comp fees. I'd win about $350 in vouchers back and spend another $70 per week on average on F&B and $10 in bets. The finances at the Vines is healthy.

If I joined PGN, I would have access to Sunday comps at the Vines too. Have played PGN a number of times. Just don't enjoy long rounds, poor etiquette and other challenges. I am generalising here which is unfair. I play with the same group regularly and and that is who I compare with.

idgolfguy
10th June 2013, 11:36 PM
Would you rather play Lakes or the composite?
I don't like Lakes 1-9. I have never shot anything better than 4 over. The same as Ellenbrook 1-9.

Lakes 10-18, best for me was even Par in a comp round and the same with back 9 of Ellenbrook.

The composite routes much nicer, and encourages me to play with more focus. They are more challenging because the greens are larger and there is more opportunity for the rough to come into play.

TourFit
11th June 2013, 09:16 AM
I think too, that the Composite course has more relevance to those who remember The Vines Classic & Heineken Classic years...I used to play it regularly back in them days,

I'm with idgg as well...and don't really rate Lakes 1-9 (the old "Wildflower" 9).

Mububban
16th June 2013, 11:03 AM
3 or 4 weeks now after coring, and whilst the sand has mostly gone, they are stil incredibly rough and bumpy, and very very inconsistent on speed.

It's still not a bad course - overall its in good nick, and the layout is very enjoyable. Just the greens are a bit under par there atm.

Played Ellenbrook yesterday, my inexperience with bunkers cost me at least 6 shots :( but the greens were consistent speed, albeit a bit lumpy and bumpy on some putts (for others, not myself luckily). Mostly they rolled true but some of the guys had some really bouncy putts. I had 38 putts overall.

I really enjoy the layout and didn't lose a ball which is amazing for me. The driver behaved itself and the massively wide landing areas helped too. REALLY need to practise bunkers and short game. I'm really missing my early morning summertime practise sessions.

Golfnut
16th June 2013, 03:58 PM
munch munch munch munch .... that's me eating some humble pie ... Royal Freo's greens are getting much better - still not up to their standard for 15/16 tho ... but coming along ok ... personally I think there is still a heap of winter grass in some of them (that was what they were trying to kill I believe) .... Greens are average at best at Freo IMO, still very patchy and like qbn said, there's still a few greens with quite a bit of winter grass in it despite the spraying efforts. I'm in no way bagging the greens staff as I have a bit of an in site of how difficult a job it is to eradicate winter grass especially in a putting surface where you can't afford to have bare patches for obvious reasons. Members just need to be patient as these very cold nights are not helping the recovery.

Johnny Canuck
16th June 2013, 04:24 PM
Pennant starts next week, pressure is on!

Veefore
17th June 2013, 09:24 AM

It's fun watching every one getting stressed over pennants at the moment.

I'm planning on a very restful 2 months. :-)

Johnny Canuck
17th June 2013, 09:28 AM
How are the 3 damaged greens looking, V?

hocko
17th June 2013, 09:32 AM

Never mind pennants, it was the RF amature open this weekend. I wonder how many thousand comments were made about our crap greens? Embarrassing really.

Johnny Canuck
17th June 2013, 09:33 AM
There would have been some serious bitching going on.

hocko
17th June 2013, 09:37 AM
71, 71 won the event, mark Weeber from Mandurah. Hoevre had 71, 72.
Tough out there it seems.

Johnny Canuck
17th June 2013, 09:52 AM
Must be the greens!

Veefore
17th June 2013, 10:03 AM
How are the 3 damaged greens looking, V?

They still look like they are a few weeks away yet. One or two of them might be borderline okay to use

Johnny Canuck
17th June 2013, 11:15 AM
Does GolfWA ever enforce the changing of home games if the course isn't in good enough condition? I hope not.

hocko
17th June 2013, 12:26 PM
Doubt it, we still played at Sun City last year and it was appalling!

Veefore
17th June 2013, 07:55 PM
Does GolfWA ever enforce the changing of home games if the course isn't in good enough condition? I hope not.

None that I've known about. One year the finals were at Chequers and the course was in such poor condition that you were a 70/30 chance of getting a bad lie in the fairways. They were the worst I'd ever seen on a golf course, and yet they still played the (old) division 1, 2 and I think 4 finals there.

Bruce Dickinson
18th June 2013, 10:00 AM
Kwinana has had some damage to a green from a motorbike, looks fixable from photo on facebook

Jackson
18th June 2013, 10:05 AM
Is the wembley chipping practice area lit at night?
What time is it open until?

Bruce Dickinson
18th June 2013, 10:11 AM
Is the wembley chipping practice area lit at night?
What time is it open until?
its open until the range closes which is 9pm Mon-Friday and 8pm on weekends. Lighting is not great at the bottom end of chipping area

Jackson
18th June 2013, 11:37 AM
its open until the range closes which is 9pm Mon-Friday and 8pm on weekends. Lighting is not great at the bottom end of chipping area

Thanks bruce

wizard_of_oz
18th June 2013, 01:39 PM

Actually, lighting is non-existent on the chipping area, and the chipping greens are awful.

Bruce Dickinson
18th June 2013, 02:04 PM
Actually, lighting is non-existent on the chipping area, and the chipping greens are awful.
thanks for the advice, I'll check out the condition of the greens in five minutes

simmsy
18th June 2013, 02:14 PM
Haha!

Bruce Dickinson
18th June 2013, 02:20 PM
Chipping greens look okay bearing in mind they aren't mowed on Tuesdays, lots of divots on the surrounds but as its a free area with lots of use its hard to keep up. Got first quote for more lighting yesterday which was a bit higher than expected

Johnny Canuck
18th June 2013, 02:30 PM
The chipping greens don't need to be perfect. The areas around them are what matters.

I would like to see the big bunker modified a bit to provide more areas with flat lies. That can be an issue with it being on a hill.

Bruce Dickinson
18th June 2013, 02:40 PM
The chipping greens don't need to be perfect. The areas around them are what matters.

I would like to see the big bunker modified a bit to provide more areas with flat lies. That can be an issue with it being on a hill.
I'll see what can be done for the bunker. As I said there's a lot of wear and tear in the surrounds, its June and Kikuyu doesn't grow fast to recover from the pounding it takes

wizard_of_oz
18th June 2013, 05:25 PM
I'll see what can be done for the bunker. As I said there's a lot of wear and tear in the surrounds, its June and Kikuyu doesn't grow fast to recover from the pounding it takes
The grassed areas surrounding the chipping greens have always been long and overgrown for the couple of years that I've been going to Wembley to use the driving range.
- When there is thick rough between the ball and the face of the club, it reduces any spin from it so the ball doesn't check.
- The greens are tiered and rolling a couple of feet forward from the top tier means your ball ends up at the very bottom of the chipping green.
Burswood was the best place for short game practice, lovely chipping and putting area and bunkers were quite well maintained. Alas, gone are those days.

Bruce Dickinson
18th June 2013, 05:33 PM
The grassed areas surrounding the chipping greens have always been long and overgrown for the couple of years that I've been going to Wembley to use the driving range.
- When there is thick rough between the ball and the face of the club, it reduces any spin from it so the ball doesn't check.
- The greens are tiered and rolling a couple of feet forward from the top tier means your ball ends up at the very bottom of the chipping green.
Burswood was the best place for short game practice, lovely chipping and putting area and bunkers were quite well maintained. Alas, gone are those days.
the grass areas are mown at fairway height (at the moment is around 12mm) around most of the short game area , some areas are left longer between the bottom green and 18th green and between the nets and greens. Burswood was couch, we are entirely Kikuyu

Johnny Canuck
18th June 2013, 06:36 PM
I'll see what can be done for the bunker. As I said there's a lot of wear and tear in the surrounds, its June and Kikuyu doesn't grow fast to recover from the pounding it takes Cheers BD. I wasn't complaining about the grass, btw.

dean0820
18th June 2013, 08:11 PM
anyone played sun city recently? how's it looking?

G.K
18th June 2013, 08:30 PM
If you go back a couple of pages to page 276 there is some recent chatter about Sun City. Should give you an idea at least. Just click the link below and it will take you straight there!

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/11653-WA-Golf-Courses?p=979889&viewfull=1#post979889

Golfnut
18th June 2013, 10:37 PM
Need another quote on the lighting Bruce? My brother runs a medium sized electrical business, they are mainly commercial and industrial contractors. Drop me a pm and I'll put you in touch with him mate.

Yossarian
18th June 2013, 10:45 PM
Cutting the grass of electrical contractor #1 there Nut, I like it.

bergsey
18th June 2013, 11:33 PM
Chipping greens look okay bearing in mind they aren't mowed on Tuesdays, lots of divots on the surrounds but as its a free area with lots of use its hard to keep up. Got first quote for more lighting yesterday which was a bit higher than expectedJust got back from down there and seemed pretty good to me given the time of the year. Lighting would be nice but I guess it is a double edge sword as will get more traffic. I don't mind chipping in the semi dark but it is difficult down near the bunkers

Golfnut
19th June 2013, 12:01 AM
Latest news for RF with the Leach Hwy widening in the planning phase.

"Main Roads Update

A deputation from the Club met with Main Roads officials on Thursday. The Director General Steve Troughton confirmed that the Federal Government will provide $59m and it is expected the State Government will match these funds when the budget is adopted in August. We were also advised that their preference for the entry will now be off Carrington street. They will engage a golf course architect to advise them on how this will fit and what alterations will need to be made to the course."

simmsy
19th June 2013, 08:27 AM
Carrington!

****! That's a long driveway back up to the clubhouse.

Good luck with that.

Golfnut
19th June 2013, 08:42 AM
Carrington!****! That's a long driveway back up to the clubhouse. Good luck with that. From what I was told from the GM we'll be getting a new clubhouse and the course will get reconfigured. NFI how this will pan out but it better not stuff up the course, I actually think its a pretty good layout.

dean0820
19th June 2013, 09:18 AM
thanks G.K, much appreciated.

Bruce Dickinson
19th June 2013, 09:21 AM
Need another quote on the lighting Bruce? My brother runs a medium sized electrical business, they are mainly commercial and industrial contractors. Drop me a pm and I'll put you in touch with him mate.
Nut
I'm going to wait until we finalise our hospitality development master plan which is out for public consultation at the moment, but will get another quote at some stage

simmsy
19th June 2013, 10:10 AM
From what I was told from the GM we'll be getting a new clubhouse and the course will get reconfigured. NFI how this will pan out but it better not stuff up the course, I actually think its a pretty good layout.

Well you lot have a shite load of cash so I'm sure it won't be too much of a problem.
Massive changes though.
Good news is hopefully #2 will be uprooted and a proper par5 go in there.
And **** that dumb green at #3 off.

Interesting times for the best of the western royals.

Mububban
21st June 2013, 09:30 PM
Hallelujah, my nearby Marangaroo have revamped their practise bunker. I'm 6 foot 2 and couldn't see over the lip previously. Now it's about chest height for depth, and they've replaced the horrible chunky grey sand with something slightly less chunky and a bit whiter. Great for me, because I can actually use it for bunker practise now because I suck at bunker play.

Pieface
21st June 2013, 09:33 PM
Hallelujah, my nearby Marangaroo have revamped their practise bunker. I'm 6 foot 2 and couldn't see over the lip previously. Now it's about chest height for depth, and they've replaced the horrible chunky grey sand with something slightly less chunky and a bit whiter. Great for me, because I can actually use it for bunker practise now because I suck at bunker play.

Cool.

That bunker as a waste of time previously.

Shadesy
22nd June 2013, 09:10 AM
Wow, looks like i am soon to be a member at Kwinana.

Sad to leave such a great course. But until they allow:

Play/practice after 6pm
Get a beer after 6pm
Get food after 4pm
Enter a comp past 12pm
Greens that are true, fast and not constantly soft and damaged.
A decent practice area.
Gur areas actually marked as such
Consistent bunker sand

And not pay $2100 a year for the above privileges I won't be back.

simmsy
22nd June 2013, 09:48 AM
Wow!
Tell us what you really think.

You were defending this place up until a month ago.

Good to see though mate.
KTown is a good club and yeah you can even have a beer and freshly made food. Even got a practice area.

KB will still be there if it ever gets its shit together.

Shadesy
22nd June 2013, 09:55 AM
It's about value for money Old man. You should know that, as your pension only stretches so far.

When the prices were what they were its a fantastic course with fantastic people but when inlisted the cost vs benefits like above it made no sense to stay.

Kept an absentee membership which gives me 6 games for $150 and my foundation membership status.

Johnny Canuck
22nd June 2013, 10:16 AM
Kwinana has had some damage to a green from a motorbike, looks fixable from photo on facebook

I have to commend the greenkeepers on the repair. 79 squares of grass used, it is already close to playable. The kids have some skills.

FoxGolf
22nd June 2013, 01:33 PM
Only played KTown twice but liked the course, looks like they love a beer, and BBQ for lunch was great.

wizard_of_oz
2nd July 2013, 07:21 PM
Guys any recommendations for public courses for weekends besides Collier, Wembley, Glen Iris or Joondy that is in the Perth metro area, i.e. less than an hour drive?

idgolfguy
2nd July 2013, 07:34 PM
Where are you located? Most private courses also provide public access. Hartfield is always good value on Mondays and Tuesdays.

simmsy
2nd July 2013, 08:57 PM
Gosnells, Mandurah CC, Ktown may allow guests on some sundays??

wizard_of_oz
2nd July 2013, 09:02 PM
Where are you located? Most private courses also provide public access. Hartfield is always good value on Mondays and Tuesdays.Only for weekends cos that's when I get to have a hit so most if not all the private courses are unavailable. I'm close to the city so either direction is fine. Just looking for alternatives to go on a regular basis as it's been really difficult to get spots since Burswood closed.

Shadesy
2nd July 2013, 10:54 PM
Gosnells, Mandurah CC, Ktown may allow guests on some sundays??

If your going to Mandurah why not Secret Harbour Or Kennedy bay on a Saturday afternoon.

Also Rockingham is easily available Sundays and is a good place for a social hit.

Heck Meadow Springs on a Sunday as well.

FoxGolf
2nd July 2013, 10:56 PM
Kwinana is good for green fee players on Sundays.

wizard_of_oz
2nd July 2013, 11:06 PM
If your going to Mandurah why not Secret Harbour Or Kennedy bay on a Saturday afternoon.Also Rockingham is easily available Sundays and is a good place for a social hit.Heck Meadow Springs on a Sunday as well.Closer to the city would be good, can't really justify the travel and golf time of about 6.5-7 hours every weekend..

simmsy
2nd July 2013, 11:58 PM
well you did say in your first post less than an hour from perth!

everyone of those courses are, and if you get bergsey to drive Mandurah CC is only 25mins away.

bergsey
3rd July 2013, 12:13 AM
Hey GGF ! :)

wizard_of_oz
3rd July 2013, 01:33 AM
well you did say in your first post less than an hour from perth!

everyone of those courses are, and if you get bergsey to drive Mandurah CC is only 25mins away.

Heheh..I didn't think Mandurah counted as Perth metro area :) Okay maybe about 30 minutes away while sticking to the speed limit..Another way of phrasing the question is, are courses like Hamersley, Marangaroo, Carramar, or Marie Park worth a visit? (already done nearly all the public courses in Perth metro area..Point Walter, Maylands, Glen Iris, Whaleback, Araluen, Joondy, Vines, Wembley, Collier Park, Rosehill, Embleton, Altone Park, Kwinana, Burswood plus a few Mandurah courses, Cut, Meadow Springs, KB, Secret Harbour..).

rubin
3rd July 2013, 01:56 AM
Heheh..I didn't think Mandurah counted as Perth metro area :) Okay maybe about 30 minutes away while sticking to the speed limit..Another way of phrasing the question is, are courses like Hamersley, Marangaroo, Carramar, or Marie Park worth a visit? (already done nearly all the public courses in Perth metro area..Point Walter, Maylands, Glen Iris, Whaleback, Araluen, Joondy, Vines, Wembley, Collier Park, Rosehill, Embleton, Altone Park, Kwinana, Burswood plus a few Mandurah courses, Cut, Meadow Springs, KB, Secret Harbour..).

To be put simply:

No.

If ur going to drive to marri park, spend the extra 5 minutes and keep going to kwinana or in, or the extra 10/15 to mandurah, meadow springs, or secret Harbour

simmsy
3rd July 2013, 09:32 AM
Yeah all those courses you mentioned like collier, marangaroo etc are the exact reason I use to go and play Hartfield before I joined there. I don't understand why ppl play these crap public courses in Perth there are so many good semi-public tracks in Perth that with a bit of planning you can get to play and for same prices.

Shadesy
3rd July 2013, 09:47 AM
Yeah all those courses you mentioned like collier, marangaroo etc are the exact reason I use to go and play Hartfield before I joined there. I don't understand why ppl play these crap public courses in Perth there are so many good semi-public tracks in Perth that with a bit of planning you can get to play and for same prices.

Usually less.

Carramar is worth a look.

Mububban
3rd July 2013, 12:26 PM
are courses like Hamersley, Marangaroo, Carramar, or Marie Park worth a visit? (already done nearly all the public courses in Perth metro area..Point Walter, Maylands, Glen Iris, Whaleback, Araluen, Joondy, Vines, Wembley, Collier Park, Rosehill, Embleton, Altone Park, Kwinana, Burswood plus a few Mandurah courses, Cut, Meadow Springs, KB, Secret Harbour..).

I don't know what your level of golf skill and/or course snootiness is like, but if you are happy enough to play courses like Embleton, Altone and Rose Hill, then Marangaroo, Hamersley or Hill View would also be fine. I'm just a public course casual player and I typically play these three courses due to convenient access, right next to home, work or visiting the folks/taking the kids to see the grandparents. At this stage of life and my golfing journey, the fun is getting out and swinging a club. My swing is the challenge, I could play bogey golf in a paddock with no trees :mrgreen:
I do prefer a nicer/more challenging course but to me time is precious and these courses scratch the golfing itch whilst not taking too many hours away from family. $35 as a member guest at The Vines recently was outstanding value, but it took up all day due to the extra travel time.

Marangaroo has a few bunkers, and water on one hole, the greens are mostly flat and not too undulating, they want to get a high volume of people through the place but saying that the greens were much faster on the weekend than I've seen before.
Hill View is not that far from Rose Hill and if access is a problem, it's a 27 hole course so you can usually get a tee time on one of the 9s. I'd go Lakeside, then Classic, then Heritage in order of interest. Nice open course for guys like me, but still several bunkers and some water. Greens can be medium to lightning fast depending on weather.
Hamersley has no bunkers or water but the tighter layout and nastier rough makes me shoot a higher score than the other 2 courses. Greens are usually slow, sometimes to medium.

These 3 are much derided "chopper courses" but if you're like me and just like getting out and hitting a ball, they'll do.

wizard_of_oz
3rd July 2013, 05:23 PM
Thanks guys and mubs for the detailed run down.. ;)

Archi
5th July 2013, 04:58 PM
Wow, looks like i am soon to be a member at Kwinana.

Sad to leave such a great course. But until they allow:

Play/practice after 6pm
Get a beer after 6pm
Get food after 4pm
Enter a comp past 12pm
Greens that are true, fast and not constantly soft and damaged.
A decent practice area.
Gur areas actually marked as such
Consistent bunker sand

And not pay $2100 a year for the above privileges I won't be back.

I had a hit at KB last Sunday arvo - on the ph the pro shop attendant said absolute last hit off was at 2.20pm - arrived at like 2.22pm and got the evil eyes from the bloke who at first seemed very reluctant to allow us on.
Anyway after not playing there for about 5 years , with virtually no-one else on course & no wind , we played the front nine off the BLACKS - 2balls each - ambrose match play - great fun !

Whats Kwinana worth a year ? any Nomination fee ?

qbnchopper
5th July 2013, 07:41 PM
mossy park ... nah not really

Johnny Canuck
5th July 2013, 11:27 PM
I had a hit at KB last Sunday arvo - on the ph the pro shop attendant said absolute last hit off was at 2.20pm - arrived at like 2.22pm and got the evil eyes from the bloke who at first seemed very reluctant to allow us on.Anyway after not playing there for about 5 years , with virtually no-one else on course & no wind , we played A the front nine off the BLABCKS - 2balls each - ambrose match play - great fun !Whats Kwinana worth a year ? any Nomination fee ? $144 a month. Great value. Shadesy, Fromy and I are members.

Johnny Canuck
5th July 2013, 11:28 PM
PS, no noms, other than Rubes and his gf.

Golfnut
5th July 2013, 11:38 PM
Is that 7 day JC?

Shadesy
6th July 2013, 08:19 AM
$144 a month. Great value. Shadesy, Fromy and I are members.

Jeffo?

Johnny Canuck
6th July 2013, 08:40 AM
Always forget young Jeffo.

7day, nut.

simmsy
6th July 2013, 09:59 AM
Nut licking his lips.

They have proper greens too nut.

idgolfguy
6th July 2013, 11:43 AM
Too late as he is indebted to RF.

Jeffo1123
6th July 2013, 12:07 PM
Always forget young Jeffo.7day, nut. Won't forget me today when you hear my name getting called out for winner of the comp. I got a good feeling (which probably means 25 points).

Golfnut
6th July 2013, 01:12 PM
Too late as he is indebted to RF. Probably the opposite ID, I may leave RF. Since joining in December, I reckon the greens have been good for about a month tops....and considering what's going to be happening to the course over the next 18-24 months with the leach hwy widening, we are going to have major major disruptions. I'm seeing vitually a mostly new layout for the course with plenty of holes out if play and temp greens etc....I'm only $1k into paying my noms so will happily walk away.KTown is always in good nic, in fact (coring aside) I've never played it in bad condition.

simmsy
6th July 2013, 01:34 PM
i would look to move nut. like you say, you're a long way from having a course that is not in construction. MGGC was a mess for a long while when they did what they did and it really tests the members patience. paying $1k + a year you want value for money not a course that will have things like 5or6 modified holes and temp greens. it gives you the shits after a while.

Shadesy
6th July 2013, 03:37 PM

Jeffo1123
6th July 2013, 06:22 PM
. Yeh agreed.

Golfnut
6th July 2013, 11:39 PM
PGN will be first port of call especially with this years course additions.

simmsy
7th July 2013, 12:30 AM
Enjoy the 7 hour rounds!

Ashes was saying today they had guys walking off after the first 9 which took 3&1/2 hours at SH.

Golfnut
7th July 2013, 01:10 AM
Saturday golf is for suckers old man. ;)

hocko
7th July 2013, 09:52 PM
Saturday golf is for men with balls old man. ;)
Ftfy

qbnchopper
7th July 2013, 10:18 PM
Fullily enough nut - I just did the calculation for how much i am behind after the $3.5 K outlay - I am almost even after 2 years so moving now would be ok ....

hocko
7th July 2013, 10:22 PM
Fullily enough nut - I just did the calculation for how much i am behind after the $3.5 K outlay - I am almost even after 2 years so moving now would be ok ....
The way the golf course is presented these days Tony I doubt you'd be the only one if you moved.

Shadesy
7th July 2013, 10:27 PM
Enjoy the 7 hour rounds!

Ashes was saying today they had guys walking off after the first 9 which took 3&1/2 hours at SH.

Champs could be a long day.

Golfnut
7th July 2013, 11:28 PM

How do you figure that qbn? 2 rounds per week at least?

Pencil
14th July 2013, 02:15 PM
Araleun has gotten worse.

Jackson
14th July 2013, 02:30 PM
Araleun has gotten worse.

Playing the PGN day out there?

Golfnut
14th July 2013, 06:02 PM
Time for the course to return to nature me thinks.

Pencil
14th July 2013, 10:14 PM
Rubbish, that's the nicest I can come with. The greenkeeper must hate golfers, they were pretty crap, bordline stupid placements on some holes. 90% of the greens have patches in them where they have dug the bad turf and are trying to stitch new stuff in. A few of them the should have driven an excavator through them and started again. Fairways weren't too bad, not a lot of grass with plenty of bare and super tight lies.

Mububban
15th July 2013, 11:19 AM
Considering the reports that came out of the Araluen day, you saying it's worse has scrubbed it off my list of courses to try for the foreseeable future....

Nuffie
21st July 2013, 11:21 AM
New greenstaff acquired from Burswood Park GC and the return of our head greenkeeper from a few months off due to injury, has seen the Vines start to turn things around a little. It's not overwhelming, but have seen differences in the bunkers and greens.

I'm hoping this isn't just due to it being pennant season with champs approaching, that all the extra effort is being put in. As a full member now I hope that the fee increases we've sustained mean that in a year or two, we get a track that resembles how it was the first time I played it 6 years ago.

TourFit
21st July 2013, 04:14 PM
It is a LONG way from the track I played regularly 14-15 yrs ago!!!

Golfnut
21st July 2013, 04:16 PM
Carnoustie?

TourFit
21st July 2013, 04:25 PM
No.

Golfnut
21st July 2013, 04:26 PM
No. Tel the new comers about it anyway ;)

TourFit
21st July 2013, 04:36 PM
No.

qbnchopper
21st July 2013, 06:46 PM
How do you figure that qbn? 2 rounds per week at least? Sorry golfnut - been on hols and in hospital (again!). My calculation for moving to Royal Freo had the following elements: Golf twice a week, practice twice a week, reduction in travel time (7mins vs 15 mins), reduction in wear and tear and fuel on car ... it made my break even period about 2 and a bit years .....

Nuffie
22nd July 2013, 01:04 AM
It is a LONG way from the track I played regularly 14-15 yrs ago!!!

I don't reckon The Vines will ever get back to being as good as it was when it opened. The bush has been trampled down considerably from all the traffic and lots of trees are suffering from the effects of a lowered water table.

But if they can at least get the greens, bunkers and fairways back it will play truer and look a bit more presentable.

bergsey
22nd July 2013, 01:34 AM
Bunkers surely must just be a lack of maintenance ? Could understand issues with growing grass

idgolfguy
22nd July 2013, 01:44 AM
We'll see how honest the committee and the owner are in the next 18 months.

simmsy
22nd July 2013, 01:45 AM
How ya goin bergs?
You been quiet of late.

Golfing goin ok?

bergsey
22nd July 2013, 01:48 AM
Going good mate, looking forward to October. Golf not too bad, just gotta break through some scoring barriers. Had a 39 on the back 9 last week which was nice just gotta back it up

Johnny Canuck
22nd July 2013, 01:52 AM
39 is some very good shooting, Bergs.

simmsy
22nd July 2013, 02:22 AM
yeah around your home track that is solid golf mate. good work.

G.K
22nd July 2013, 08:20 PM
New greenstaff acquired from Burswood Park GC and the return of our head greenkeeper from a few months off due to injury, has seen the Vines start to turn things around a little. It's not overwhelming, but have seen differences in the bunkers and greens.

I went for a last minute round at The Vines on Sunday. Played Lakes and found the greens and unfortunately the bunkers to be pretty good. I wasted so many good tee shots with my approach ending up sandy. On the 8th I managed to get one to plug right up under the lip due to hitting a fat PW. Needless to say, 3 strokes later I was on the green. Jagged a one putt which made it a little easier to bear. Ended up with 93 off the blues which I was reasonably happy with considering my hackeresque ability.

I got around in just over 3 hours too which was pretty good but I imagine is not the norm. Was certainly worth the drive out there for someone like myself that usually has to resort to my closest public track being Collier.

Mububban
23rd July 2013, 05:28 PM
I've only seen Ellenbrook as a guest, how do the two compare at the moment?

Golfnut
23rd July 2013, 10:16 PM
Well that's interesting; just checked the results from today's comp at RF and what do I see? A PGN member allowed to play in the members comp....WTF?

bergsey
23rd July 2013, 10:19 PM
Royal PGN ?

qbnchopper
25th July 2013, 02:12 PM
Yeah I saw that too Golfnut - WTF indeed - though as tuesday is an invitatational as long as he/she paid the $50 I guess its alright ....

Golfnut
25th July 2013, 03:16 PM
Yeah I saw that too Golfnut - WTF indeed - though as tuesday is an invitatational as long as he/she paid the $50 I guess its alright .... Interesting....

Golfnut
25th July 2013, 03:18 PM
I'm still waiting for a response from the GM re. the Leach Hwy widening and how it is going the affect the course....apparently he's still preparing a response.....from what I've managed to dig up the disruptions will be very significant.

Bruce Dickinson
25th July 2013, 03:24 PM
I'm still waiting for a response from the GM re. the Leach Hwy widening and how it is going the affect the course....apparently he's still preparing a response.....from what I've managed to dig up the disruptions will be very significant.
not much info on main roads site at the moment

https://www.mainroads.wa.gov.au/BuildingRoads/Projects/UrbanProjects/Pages/UrbanProject.aspx

Shadesy
25th July 2013, 04:57 PM
Bruce, were you on the radio the other day?

Bruce Dickinson
25th July 2013, 05:18 PM
Bruce, were you on the radio the other day?
yep

Shadesy
25th July 2013, 08:21 PM
yep

Very nice. Good head for radio!

Bruce Dickinson
25th July 2013, 08:56 PM
Very nice. Good head for radio! It was done reluctantly, the course super was "out of range" when the interview was due

idgolfguy
26th July 2013, 02:06 AM
When was it and with who?

Bruce Dickinson
26th July 2013, 09:51 AM
When was it and with who? Last Thursday with Russell Wolfe, it was a discussion about our $30 owl from bunnings which has stopped the white corellas eating our greens

Johnny Canuck
26th July 2013, 10:18 AM
Hartfield had a similar discussion about keeping white Corollas off theirs.

idgolfguy
26th July 2013, 10:40 AM
Last Thursday with Russell Wolfe, it was a discussion about our $30 owl from bunnings which has stopped the white corellas eating our greens
Great solution - non-toxic and green!

Golfnut
26th July 2013, 01:59 PM
Great solution - non-toxic and green! Interesting colour for an owl!

idgolfguy
26th July 2013, 03:41 PM
:)
Saw that when I read it back.

Pieface
27th July 2013, 03:53 PM
Had a whack on the quarry at Joondalup this morning. Doesn't seem to be taking the rain that well. Very slushy in places

I did my bit for course maintenence by playing as few shots as possible from the short stuff. I don't think I've ever got close to making par at 4. That hole does my head in.

Also discovered that the S on my SW stands for shank :lol:

Mububban
13th August 2013, 03:07 PM
Anyone been to the Melville Golf Centre/Complex? Apparently they've got a par 3 course, driving range and putting/chipping/bunker area.

I really need a bunker lesson, and this month the pro there (Brad Eastick) is doing short game lessons for $35/hr for Drummond members. Much more affordable than $55 for half an hour considering the work I need on my short game!

Any opinions?

Johnny Canuck
13th August 2013, 03:52 PM
Anyone been to the Melville Golf Centre/Complex? Apparently they've got a par 3 course, driving range and putting/chipping/bunker area.I really need a bunker lesson, and this month the pro there (Brad Eastick) is doing short game lessons for $35/hr for Drummond members. Much more affordable than $55 for half an hour considering the work I need on my short game! Any opinions? decent complex. The par 3 was a supa golf course when I was there last year. 1 guy was playing with actual golf ball. Don't know anything about brad, but $35 an hour is cheap.

G.K
13th August 2013, 06:17 PM
That's where I usually go if I want to hit a bucket of balls Mubs. I'm down there once or twice a fortnight. Don't know anything about Brad but as JC said, $35 is cheap. Would be worth a go IMO. The par 3 course you speak of is still supa golf. But I have seen people on a number of ocasions using it like a pitch and put with normal golf balls/clubs etc. I don't know whether its totally kosher to be doing that though. The other things I like about the place are that you hit off grass and they have proper balls rather than range balls. They do have a putting green, although it is usually cut very long so is very slow. There is one practise bunker and two small chipping greens.
Hmmm, perhaps I should be looking to invest $35 for a good cause rather than a box of new pills.........

Jpm12
14th August 2013, 10:07 AM
You can pay for lots if 500, 1000 etc as well and go back until you've used them all. Brings the cost down to like $5 per 50 balls or something

Golfnut
14th August 2013, 12:20 PM
Anyone know how much rain We had yesterday down Freo way? The greens at RF did not cope well at all!

Bruce Dickinson
14th August 2013, 12:29 PM
We've had nearly 90mm in a week. The issue is that the greens aren't getting a lot of time to dry out and eventually even a small rain event results in puddling.

simmsy
14th August 2013, 05:19 PM
worse than farmers you lot :)

Bruce Dickinson
15th August 2013, 04:03 PM
worse than farmers you lot :)
we only like night time rain, had another 13mm in the last two hours

simmsy
15th August 2013, 06:51 PM
Yep.
Comp got called off at Gosnells today. Went through 4 holes getting drenched then they called it.

Veefore
15th August 2013, 08:19 PM
Yep.
Comp got called off at Gosnells today. Went through 4 holes getting drenched then they called it.

It doesn't take much to flood the greens at Gosnells. It's the only time I can remember a pennant match being called off. Every other club in Perth was able to continue but the greens at Gossie were unplayable.

simmsy
15th August 2013, 09:04 PM
The course has been really good this winter. We got an absolute pelting of rain for the first 4 holes this morning.

Johnny Canuck
15th August 2013, 09:10 PM
I dropped my water bottle on the 5th green once and we had to wait 5 min to putt out.

simmsy
15th August 2013, 10:17 PM
Hahaha.

The 4th was literally running Luke a river the entire way across it.

simmsy
15th August 2013, 10:21 PM
^like

Yossarian
15th August 2013, 11:31 PM
Got me on the mind simmo...

simmsy
15th August 2013, 11:57 PM
Just knocked one out too.
:)

Golfnut
16th August 2013, 12:33 AM
Turd?

rubin
29th August 2013, 11:42 AM
Lads - anyone know the chances of getting on for a sneaky 9 at Binny on a Saturday afternoon (3.30ish)?

Staying in Preston beach for the weekend, and was considering taking the old boy there for a hit, seeing as he has never played there before.

Yossarian
29th August 2013, 11:59 AM
Should be fine? The club goes off from 9 till 12 ish I think?

Johnny Canuck
29th August 2013, 12:00 PM
Might have to be a tad later with their comp. It used to start at 1130.

rubin
29th August 2013, 12:14 PM
Should be fine? The club goes off from 9 till 12 ish I think?

Might have to be a tad later with their comp. It used to start at 1130.

the site says comp tee's off at 11.45, but if i recall correctly, last time i played there with a few mates, we went off around 3ish and were fine.

I don't imagine the old boys that play in the comp would complain much anyway

hocko
29th August 2013, 01:03 PM
Lads - anyone know the chances of getting on for a sneaky 9 at Binny on a Saturday afternoon (3.30ish)?

Staying in Preston beach for the weekend, and was considering taking the old boy there for a hit, seeing as he has never played there before.
Enjoy Preston Beach......not.
We stayed there a couple of weeks ago for 4 days and it was the worst "break" i have ever had!
You had want to hope it doesn't rain, no shelter whatsoever, nothing undercover and kids had to spend four days in a very small area.
Oh, and you have to travel at least half an hour to get anything.
Asshole of a joint.......we let them know all about it too!

rubin
29th August 2013, 01:28 PM
Enjoy Preston Beach......not.
We stayed there a couple of weeks ago for 4 days and it was the worst "break" i have ever had!
You had want to hope it doesn't rain, no shelter whatsoever, nothing undercover and kids had to spend four days in a very small area.
Oh, and you have to travel at least half an hour to get anything.
Asshole of a joint.......we let them know all about it too!

yeah - not exactly jumping for joy at having to stay there. its a whole family thing, and I had no hand in organising any of it. We are staying at Footprints (?) but i'll prob spend most of the day at Binny if I can get it to happen.

Mububban
3rd September 2013, 10:48 AM
Anyone played Wembley lately? Haven't played it before but would like to. What can I expect? How far do I need to book in advance? Are they okay with a single player joining with randoms? How long does it take to get around on the weekends? I like teeing off about 7:30am or earlier to avoid traffic wherever possible.

I've heard the Old Course is preferable to Tuart? I just like swinging a club, I'm not too fussy about courses while my swing is the main challenge to overcome :)

Pieface
3rd September 2013, 12:29 PM
Haven't seen Wembley lately for condition.

Old course is a pretty straight forward layout. Lots of dog-legs. I enjoy it well enough

Tuart is quite different on the front 9 with a surprising amount of elevation change. I found a number of the tee shots a bit of a PIA first time around as there are a few with blind landing areas. Back 9 of Tuart is similar in feel to the Old course.

It's computer booking Mubbs so I'd say they don't have any problem with putting randoms together.

Not too sure about getting early tee times there on the weekends. They have a few WAGL clubs operating out of there that book up the sheet IIRC. On a weekend I'd allow 5 hours minimum to get around.

BD will probably come along and point out all the errors in my post shortly :D

Bruce Dickinson
3rd September 2013, 01:59 PM
Anyone played Wembley lately? Haven't played it before but would like to. What can I expect? How far do I need to book in advance? Are they okay with a single player joining with randoms? How long does it take to get around on the weekends? I like teeing off about 7:30am or earlier to avoid traffic wherever possible.

I've heard the Old Course is preferable to Tuart? I just like swinging a club, I'm not too fussy about courses while my swing is the main challenge to overcome :)
Pieface was spot on, Old Course was built in 1932 so a lot of doglegs at the 200-220 metre mark.

Old Course was cored last week so greens not the best, but there is a renovation rate in place. Tuart Course coring next week. Fairways are in great shape for the time of year.

Bookings open seven days in advance online or by phone and fill quickly, there will be random single spots left now for Saturday but none before 10.30. Sunday is better day if you want to get off early.

Pace of play varies due to varying skill levels of our customers but we aim to keep it at 4.30 on weekends, course marshall runs all day. I prefer the Tuart but the favoured course is the Old, it's wider and not as hilly.

New free mobile app is also available as well for I Phone and Android and GPS carts due in October

Mububban
3rd September 2013, 02:43 PM
Pieface was spot on, Old Course was built in 1932 so a lot of doglegs at the 200-220 metre mark.

Old Course was cored last week so greens not the best, but there is a renovation rate in place. Tuart Course coring next week. Fairways are in great shape for the time of year.

Bookings open seven days in advance online or by phone and fill quickly, there will be random single spots left now for Saturday but none before 10.30. Sunday is better day if you want to get off early.

Pace of play varies due to varying skill levels of our customers but we aim to keep it at 4.30 on weekends, course marshall runs all day. I prefer the Tuart but the favoured course is the Old, it's wider and not as hilly.

New free mobile app is also available as well for I Phone and Android and GPS carts due in October

Cheers Bruce. It's on my short list to play next when possible.

What does the app provide? I'm currently using Golfshot GPS on my iPhone as I don't play comps.

Bruce Dickinson
3rd September 2013, 02:51 PM
Cheers Bruce. It's on my short list to play next when possible.

What does the app provide? I'm currently using Golfshot GPS on my iPhone as I don't play comps.
GPS, score card with multiple scoring formats (stableford, par etc) and record player stats, hole diagrams and aerial fly by, link straight to booking sheet and app only promotions

idgolfguy
3rd September 2013, 05:36 PM
Quite innovative for a Public Golf course - apropos to having quality management.

BayBum
3rd September 2013, 09:37 PM
+1

Thats top notch Bruce,very cool.

wizard_of_oz
4th September 2013, 04:05 PM
Give Wembley a go mubs. It's a decent track, I personally prefer the Tuart course layout though. The greens can be a bit spotty at times but generally quite well kept. The Tuart is hilly with a few interesting holes, such as the 5th Par 4 with a short tee off and sharp dog leg left where the green is in between the water hazard and bunker or the 6th Par 5 downhill is one that you can reach in two.

wizard_of_oz
4th September 2013, 04:07 PM
Oh and generally, you can get a spot for one quite readily with online booking although if you've left it for late, you generally won't be able to get a early morning slot.

Mububban
22nd September 2013, 10:49 PM
The Department of Fire and Emergency Services this afternoon said it had answered around 90 calls for help after a cold front hit the city and southern WA overnight.

Perth's south-eastern suburbs of Gosnells and Maddington were worst hit with more than 30 calls for assistance.

Anyone's course copped any damage from the high winds?

Johnny Canuck
23rd September 2013, 12:02 AM
Hartfield had some trees down.

rubin
23rd September 2013, 12:14 AM
Will be worse tonight......

bergsey
23rd September 2013, 12:15 AM
Wind is cranking up here at the moment. Someone lost a part of their roof one street back. New house too...

rubin
23rd September 2013, 12:19 AM
Wind is cranking up here at the moment. Someone lost a part of their roof one street back. New house too...

Sheets of plasterboard have just gone flying down the street here from the construction site over the road. I am fully expecting to lose something from the balcony tonight.

MegaWatty
23rd September 2013, 11:37 PM
Sheets of plasterboard have just gone flying down the street here from the construction site over the road. I am fully expecting to lose something from the balcony tonight.

Take it inside?

bergsey
24th September 2013, 12:33 AM
Wind is cranking up here at the moment. Someone lost a part of their roof one street back. New house too... Lost my side fence last night. Colorbond, a couple of posts snapped. Lucky the sheets didn't start flying..

Pieface
24th September 2013, 11:03 AM
That's a a fair blow then Bergs!

rubin
24th September 2013, 11:42 AM
i wonder what sort of damage occured at courses like KB, Cottesloe, The Cut etc. a client in cottesloe had some pretty heavy damage on Sunday night.

Johnny Canuck
24th September 2013, 11:57 AM
i wonder what sort of damage occured at courses like KB, Cottesloe, The Cut etc. a client in cottesloe had some pretty heavy damage on Sunday night. KB reported that their one tree over 12 feet lost 4 leaves.

rubin
24th September 2013, 12:04 PM
KB reported that their one tree over 12 feet lost 4 leaves.

fair call. probably slowed their incredibly slick greens up some as well.....

Golfnut
24th September 2013, 12:24 PM
KB reported that their one tree over 12 feet lost 4 leaves. :lol:

Yossarian
24th September 2013, 01:16 PM
Take it inside?

So much this. Maybe he is trying to up insurance premiums in the area.

Johnny Canuck
24th September 2013, 01:29 PM
So much this. Maybe he is trying to up insurance premiums in the area. An inflatable bonking sheep was spotted flying over the city during the storm.

Shadesy
24th September 2013, 02:45 PM
fair call. probably slowed their incredibly slick greens up some as well.....

Quickened them.

simmsy
25th September 2013, 05:50 PM
Dave1 list:

http://golfwa.org.au/common/content/SlopeRatings

rubin
25th September 2013, 05:55 PM
Dave1 list:

http://golfwa.org.au/common/content/SlopeRatings

So Joondy Lake/Dunes combo is the hardest course in WA?

wizard_of_oz
25th September 2013, 06:30 PM
Damn as if it wasn't complicated already. At least the slope rating is more accurate than ACR.. I mean shit, how is the ACR for The Cut and Collier park the same??? Who the hell makes up these things???

rubin
25th September 2013, 07:00 PM
Damn as if it wasn't complicated already. At least the slope rating is more accurate than ACR.. I mean shit, how is the ACR for The Cut and Collier park the same??? Who the hell makes up these things???

how do u get that?

the hardest rating at collier is 123, the easiest at the cut is 136.

wizard_of_oz
25th September 2013, 07:12 PM
As in the ACR/SCR for Collier Park is 71, the same as The Cut playing off white tee? Meaning that the old system used to indicate that these courses were as tough as each other (which is complete lunacy) but at least the slope ratings seem more accurate..

Jackson
25th September 2013, 08:19 PM
As in the ACR/SCR for Collier Park is 71, the same as The Cut playing off white tee? Meaning that the old system used to indicate that these courses were as tough as each other (which is complete lunacy) but at least the slope ratings seem more accurate..

My understanding is the ACR is the toughness for scratch golfers, the slope is how much harder it is for a bogey golfer compared to a scratch golfer.

bergsey
25th September 2013, 11:48 PM
My understanding is the ACR is the toughness for scratch golfers, the slope is how much harder it is for a bogey golfer compared to a scratch golfer. Sort of, the scratch course rating (SCR) is effectively what it is expected that a scratch golfer should go round in. Collier off the blues is 71 the same as The Cut off the whites.The Cut is much ore difficult for the bogey golfer however which is why it has a higher slope rating 136 off the whites vs Collier 122

Mububban
26th September 2013, 01:30 PM
And scores for higher handicap players can expect to go up exponentially, compared to a lower handicap player.

Bring it on!!!

Johnny Canuck
26th September 2013, 02:16 PM
And scores for higher handicap players can expect to go up exponentially, compared to a lower handicap player.Bring it on!!! Great. Like we need more 18+ cappers winning comps.

hocko
26th September 2013, 02:23 PM
Yeh, on a course that they play 4 times a week!

Johnny Canuck
26th September 2013, 02:28 PM
And scores for higher handicap players can expect to go up exponentially, compared to a lower handicap player.Bring it on!!! How will this affect your handicap? Very valid point, Hocks.

rubin
26th September 2013, 02:49 PM
And scores for higher handicap players can expect to go up exponentially, compared to a lower handicap player.

Bring it on!!!

Great. Like we need more 18+ cappers winning comps.

Yeh, on a course that they play 4 times a week!

How will this affect your handicap? Very valid point, Hocks.

Not necessarily.

A) It wont affect Mubs cap - you need to have one to start with - but more importantly;
B) On easier courses, higher cappers will drop more shots than a low marker will as well. because of the exponential difference, it will work both ways.
EG: canuck/hocko your caps will swing 1 or 2 at most up or down. Jacksons cap could swing 6 shots higher or lower depending on the slope rating.

idgolfguy
26th September 2013, 03:33 PM
Still believe that the calculation caters for about 95% of Golfers - those that are above 18.

rubin
26th September 2013, 03:44 PM
Still believe that the calculation caters for about 95% of Golfers - those that are above 18.

of course it is, and I highly doubt that its going to change the average 25 capper coming in with 42+ points for a win.

What it will do is bring their handicaps down far quicker than what it would have done before, and average them out a lot better as well. For the blokes who play the same course for 95% of the year, it will mean nothing. if your playing a variety of courses throughout the year, it will have far more of an effect.

Yossarian
26th September 2013, 03:45 PM
Too bad it wasn't in force for the cap challenge rubes, you might have got close.

Bruce Dickinson
26th September 2013, 04:11 PM
It won't change anything. Turn up, check handicap, laugh at handicap, have 25 points