PDA

View Full Version : WA Golf Courses

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

TourFit
4th November 2011, 06:31 PM
Got invited to play at Melville Glades today with the JD event...didn't take it up, as I couldn't get anyone in to replace me here at work, I don't really think much of JD, MG has about 4 holes ripped up currently AND they wanted $400.

Tiger at the Burswood range...LOL, that's funny. Look out 10th green!

simmsy
4th November 2011, 07:23 PM
$1500 for JD group apparently.

dave1
5th November 2011, 11:17 AM
Agreed. Esperance is awesome when it's in good nick.

Esperance GC is a ton of fun.

thats good to lnow thanks lads

I ummed and arrrr'd

do I go to mandurah and do the west coast swing of Kennedy bay, SH and medows which I love

decision came down to I love the golf in manduarh but everything else I cant stand! Esperance has beaches, rivers to kayak aklso and never played golf there so thats that

also cost....cheap place in esperance for 70 bucks per night (own unit)...cheap golf at $20-25 per round

will take some pics, they have a tourney on this weekend some jubilee bowl which means the course will be in super nick next week

will play the other course (pink lakes) too even though people here tell me its rough n ready. at $20 no great loss if its not.

play in the comps they have Thursdays and Saturdays

FoxGolf
17th November 2011, 01:20 AM
Had a game at Cottesloe on Monday in a corporate day. It had been a few years since I had played there. The greens were firm and true and the fairways were in great condition. It was a different format for a corporate day with a 9 hole ambrose around the front 9 followed by lunch and then an individual stableford for the back 9. I managed to scare the guys in the group in front of us by knocking driver through the back of the first green. It didn't help our ambrose team though with us getting nowhere near the winning score. The afternoon round was good with a solid 20 points for the back 9.

This Sunday I'm playing Chequers for the first time. Looking forward to seeing what all the hype is about. Be good to see how it compares the the Cut!!

rubin
17th November 2011, 01:27 AM
Sounds like a good day. Chequers can't compare to the cut. They are too different. If u have blades, or thin soled irons, take them to use as they will be hugely beneficial off the tight lies.

Cosmopolite
17th November 2011, 01:31 AM
Chequers is tough, but no where near as brutal as the cut

FoxGolf
17th November 2011, 01:34 AM
I don't have blades but my titty 735 cm's I think are fairly thin soled. I'm most worried about off the tee as what I've read on here it doesn't sound like driver is used all that often and i'm finding that the super hybrids like to go left. Might have to throw the long irons back in the bag.

Golfnut
19th November 2011, 12:01 AM
Anyone know how Joondy's looking at the moment? Got talked into a round tomorrow at sparrows fart. Reno rates apply but just want to know which 9 to avoid. Did they core the fairways this year?

bergsey
19th November 2011, 12:12 AM
played burswood in a charity day yest.. best condition i've ever seen the greens in. obviously pumped some money in for tiger's visit

MegaWatty
19th November 2011, 12:18 AM
Hartfield is deep into renos at the moment. Most fairways were both vertimowed and cored this year. The greens have been done and had one week of brilliance but now seem to have a fair bit of Poa through them.

They have begun working on the brand new 8th green. A two tiered green which looks like it may run diagonally from right to left.

The 18th is receiving the turf from the 8th green to extend it out and reclaim the green.

So currently 2 temp greens but I wouldn't imagine that 18 will be out of play for long.

Golfnut
19th November 2011, 12:33 AM
played burswood in a charity day yest.. best condition i've ever seen the greens in. obviously pumped some money in for tiger's visit At least the paying public got something out his visit. How did the 13th green look, they've always struggled with the condition of that green?

bergsey
19th November 2011, 12:46 AM
At least the paying public got something out his visit. How did the 13th green look, they've always struggled with the condition of that green?

it was pissing down and cyclonic winds from the par3 11th onwards but from what i saw looked good. they had a car for hole in 1 on the 11th... hardly anyone hit the green.

Cosmopolite
19th November 2011, 04:10 AM
Anyone know how Joondy's looking at the moment? Got talked into a round tomorrow at sparrows fart. Reno rates apply but just want to know which 9 to avoid. Did they core the fairways this year?

played on monday and it was good. greens had been cored so a bit bumpy and slow but the rest was good.

Golfnut
19th November 2011, 07:21 AM
Thanks Cosmo :)

Golfnut
19th November 2011, 07:45 PM
played on monday and it was good. greens had been cored so a bit bumpy and slow but the rest was good.

Played Quarry/Lakes this morning, now I know why I hate Saturday golf.......front 9 (Quarry) got away before the crowds and got around in under 2hrs, 2nd 9 was a different story taking nearly 3hrs with a decent wait at every tee due to a very slow group that thought it was friken Christmas or something.

Course was in excellent condition as usual with the greens being about a week away from being back to their usual high standards but still played/rolled fine, looked like they were mowing close to normal height now.

Yossarian
19th November 2011, 08:37 PM
Money well saved nut!

Golfnut
20th November 2011, 10:12 AM
Still over priced if you ask me. ;)

Nuffie
20th November 2011, 03:53 PM
This Sunday I'm playing Chequers for the first time. Looking forward to seeing what all the hype is about. Be good to see how it compares the the Cut!!

Sounds like a good day. Chequers can't compare to the cut. They are too different. If u have blades, or thin soled irons, take them to use as they will be hugely beneficial off the tight lies.

Chequers is tough, but no where near as brutal as the cut

My advice Fox is to put the thin soled irons in and also play the longer irons. Hitting it low and keeping the ball in play is a must.

Sometimes an iron or fairway wood off the tee is a better choice than driver, as driver can run out of fairway if it isn't hit on the PERFECT line.

The Cut is very different. Fairways are resort conditioned. Holes have lots of elevation changes and a lot of tee shots on the back nine are blind.

Chequers greens are smaller, fairways rougher and harder to stay on. But The Cut would surely be the trickier of the two.

Yossarian
20th November 2011, 03:58 PM
Both goat tracks.

Nuffie
20th November 2011, 04:14 PM
Both goat tracks.

And are good challenges, though at times this can make the experience of playing them a bit frustrating.

It all depends on what your looking for: A character-building day out OR a stress-free relaxing resort course round.

If your looking for no. 2, Chequers AND The Cut are not the courses to be playing.

Yossarian
20th November 2011, 04:21 PM
The Cut is a stress free relaxing resort course??

I was taking the piss with the goat track comment.

Nuffie
20th November 2011, 04:44 PM
The Cut is a stress free relaxing resort course??

I was taking the piss with the goat track comment.

I knew you were, but in respose to your question, The Cut is the exact opposite, not stress-free (as it is tricky) even though it is a resort course.

Many call The Cut a 'goat track' because they can't play it well and get frustrated by a few of the holes on it, so instead start making excuses and bagging out the design. I still can't play it properly, however it doesn't mean I think it's a goat track. The 17th hole is an interesting one, catching anyone out who has never played it before and haven't had any advice from anyone who has.

I have the same view of The Cut as I do with Chequers CC. No course is unplayable, just some are 'tricky tricky tricky'-ier to play than others ;) (why do I sense a RUN-DMC song coming on here?) Yoss, you probably have the link right under your thumb....

Yossarian
20th November 2011, 06:24 PM
17 is shit.

Cosmopolite
20th November 2011, 11:49 PM
played Joondy today and actually had a good round. I figured the fairways seem to have a bit more grass than what I am used to.

We played a 4 ball (taking the best 3 scores on the hole) and had 113 points. winners had 121. We messed up 8 and 9 on the dunes and 9 on the lakes. I dont think I have ever played the dunes before and there sure are some interesting holes. I had 38 points myself.

The wind was horrendous though, very strong which made for some interesting shots.

The greens are still a bit ordinary after being cored a few weeks ago, but the rest of the course is in really good nick.

Pieface
21st November 2011, 12:01 AM
Must be a WAnker time of the year for Joondy. I'm out there tomorrow.

Had a belt at the range today. NFI, thank christ it's ambrose!

TourFit
21st November 2011, 02:27 PM
3 Ball Ambrose?

Pieface
22nd November 2011, 12:30 PM
Easy game this golf. Our group of mid 20's handicappers went around Dunes/Quarry in a handy 11 under the card and took the day out well with a (gulp) net 48. Is that wrong?

I still lost 6 frickin' balls but we just had an amazing day where someone always hit an excellent shot or sunk the putt. Day started very rough with a bogey on dunes one and after our tee shots on 2 it was looking like a long day but we managed to scratch out some pars. An NTP on 4 and bird got us square and another bird on 5 saw us moving in the right direction and we turned 3 under. Greens were pretty lumpy on Dune but we probably had as many go in because of the bumps as miss because of them.

Quarry was stupendous golf we spent the entire 9 laughing our tits off at the shots we were making. We birdied 8 of 9 holes with just the long uphill par three 7th at 175m costing us a par. I snagged NTP on Quarry 3 hitting it inside 3 feet to a very back pin. It really was our day to the extent that Quarry 8 we played our second from the left bunker and our best out was only about 30m giving us 190 into the green. Three shanks and one 4w to 6 feet for a birdie putt. Quarry 9 we had three ordinary tee shots and one that skipped through the LHS bunker to leave us with 140 in. Three bad misses and I hit 8 iron to a metre for a birdie putt, hilarious! The group in front of us were going off!

Hell of a day :)

Yossarian
22nd November 2011, 12:35 PM
Oh dear!!!

Haha, well played mate!

Golfnut
22nd November 2011, 12:38 PM
Sounds like you had a lot of fun PF which is what it's all about, well done mate.

Cosmopolite
22nd November 2011, 12:42 PM
crikey, dont think i have ever seen a net 48, you would have heard a few grumbles about that one.

what did you win PF?

Pieface
22nd November 2011, 12:52 PM
The undying hatred of 60 golfers Cosmo :p

We all got a $150 voucher for Drummonds and the two of us with NTP's got another $50 drummond voucher. Not a bad days work!

Cheers 'nut, we had a blast.

Yossarian
22nd November 2011, 12:54 PM
I hope you went to the Police Station on the way home to report your theft.

Golfnut
22nd November 2011, 01:01 PM
I hope you went to the Police Station on the way home to report your theft. Hahaha......our last corporate day last mont had a winning net of 47.6. Let's just say Some chairs were raised in anger.

TourFit
22nd November 2011, 03:10 PM
We all got a $150 voucher for Drummonds and the two of us with NTP's got another $50 drummond voucher. Not a bad days work!

You could buy some game...

...'cos next OzGolf day you go to WILL NOT be Ambrose!

simmsy
22nd November 2011, 03:22 PM
Who's Pieface??

Pieface
22nd November 2011, 04:31 PM
Old Manitis got you again Simmsy? I'm the guy who knocked you out of the 2010 matchplay in 2009 :p

Cheers for the pep talk TF. My tee game is appalling I am only keeping the ball in play 50% of the time at best. It makes for very frustrating golf :(

Yossarian
22nd November 2011, 04:33 PM
C graders A game coming out when there is internet money on the line...

Cosmopolite
22nd November 2011, 04:38 PM
didnt you both play at Secret Harbour earlier this year?

Pieface
22nd November 2011, 04:48 PM
The old man was too busy getting drunk and fondling Yoss to notice me.

Yoss - speaking from experience!!

TourFit
22nd November 2011, 05:18 PM
Cheers for the pep talk TF. My tee game is appalling I am only keeping the ball in play 50% of the time at best. It makes for very frustrating golf :(

UR WELCOME!!!

If you can't buy some game...buy some balls instead to replace the many you lose. (Not the Golfnut type balls!!!)

simmsy
22nd November 2011, 05:38 PM
Old Manitis got you again Simmsy? I'm the guy who knocked you out of the 2010 matchplay in 2009 :p

oh it is you! im sorry partly due to my old age, but mostly due to you having the balls of a microwaved numbat and never getting out for a game of golf with any of us. so you do still play golf then? was thinking you just hung around here dreaming of the day of being allowed back on the course.

good on you for getting out there 'face :)

we hope to see you again some time in the next year, maybe Summer Cup in Feb next year!

Pieface
22nd November 2011, 05:49 PM
Yep...I am not getting out anywhere enough to hit the ball well consistently. Keep thinking I have worked something out but by the time I get out again i have forgotten a bunch of other stuff haha!

Speaking of microwaving my balls...

Could be a good plan. They have got me into trouble again. Scans this Friday :D

simmsy
22nd November 2011, 06:02 PM
there goes another 3 years of golfing!

you silly (oont

TourFit
22nd November 2011, 06:54 PM
Could be a good plan. They have got me into trouble again. Scans this Friday :D

Congrats mate. Hope all goes well.

You can't get oot for a game, but obviously you get a leg over! Complete opposite for me.

FoxGolf
23rd November 2011, 01:40 AM
My advice Fox is to put the thin soled irons in and also play the longer irons. Hitting it low and keeping the ball in play is a must.

Sometimes an iron or fairway wood off the tee is a better choice than driver, as driver can run out of fairway if it isn't hit on the PERFECT line.

The Cut is very different. Fairways are resort conditioned. Holes have lots of elevation changes and a lot of tee shots on the back nine are blind.

Chequers greens are smaller, fairways rougher and harder to stay on. But The Cut would surely be the trickier of the two.

Well I played Chequers on Sunday. The Greens were in great condition, excellent grass cover, firm and true. I think they helped a short game hack like me get a few chips close-ish and to make a few putts.

I can see what the comments have been about in regards to the fairways. I had wedge in on the first and hit it fat, then hit my pitch fat before chipping to about 30 feet and binning one for bogey. There were plenty of other fat iron shots too.

Whilst the fairways aren't in great condition I really enjoyed the course. There were definitely a lot of holes you wouldn't hit driver on, even if you knew the course really well. Or if you did you'd want to be very confident of knowing where you hit it.

My best purchase for the year came into it's own on the multitude of dogleg holes. While I've bought driver, hybrids, shoes and gps this year (I know that's not much compared to the ho's on this site), my best purchase has definitely been a rangefinder. Being able to measure not only distance to the pin but also how far to the dogleg was invaluable. It surprised me how far out all of us in the group were in estimating how far to the dogleg compared to what the rangefinder said, both shorter and longer.

Looking forward to playing there again, although next game for me is going to be Hamilton Island which I think will be a little bit different to Chequers.

Johnny Canuck
23rd November 2011, 01:58 AM
Did you see any goats, Fox?

Zeusgolf
23rd November 2011, 03:42 AM
First prize next game for PF is a kick in the nuts to put him out of his stuck at home misery.....

Pieface
23rd November 2011, 11:47 AM
Fair cop Zeus :lol: You just have to administer the kick with your wired up toe :p :p

Pieface
25th November 2011, 02:15 PM
Just for me to try and get my head around greenspeeds/stimp etc

What do people reckon is the speed of greens at the following courses in typical conditions:

Wanneroo
Kwinana
Secret Harbour
Hartfield
Wembley

Ta :)

MegaWatty
25th November 2011, 02:22 PM
No idea. I doubt many people here actually know true stimp speeds unless they have used a stimp or play at a course that lists the speed every morning. Most people around Ozgolf just guess.

simmsy
25th November 2011, 02:26 PM
Ill guess for you. Not actual speeds but what i think they run at compared to each other. Dont burn me.

Slow to fast-

Wembley
SH
Wanneroo
Hartfield
Kwinana

Thats purely based on times i have played the courses no fact in that at all.

simmsy
25th November 2011, 02:27 PM
And tourfit will chime in soon to tell us that Mt Lawley was running at 13.5 last weekend. ;)

TourFit
25th November 2011, 02:28 PM
I would say that 'typically' most private clubs would aim to have their greens arouund the 10+' to 11' mark consistently...with quicker speeds for big events such as Opens and Club Champs etc

Out of the ones you listed I would reckon Wembley would consistently be the slowest...but that would be due to traffic volume and being a true public course.

The fastest greens I've ever played on were in the 2000 Heineken Classic Pro Am...we were told before we started that they were running at 13.5 on the Tues/Wed. I remember 4 putting the 13th from the back of the green...I also remember that Monday morning, when I played the Tournament Course off the blacks that the greens were near on dead!!!

Mt Lawley doesn't run that fast simmsy...WAnker. They do, however, run consistently above 11. I know this because they post on our site the average speed every week!!! Last week they were 12.

simmsy
25th November 2011, 02:31 PM
:(

Pieface
25th November 2011, 02:34 PM
That's pretty much how I had them stacked too Simmsy.

SH seems faster sometimes because of the stupid pins placements they seem addicted to.

I hear what you are saying Mega. I was just curious if the variation is really that large or we are talking only really a couple of points different between them all. Kwinana is way too fast coming from a muni. I don't enjoy it unless I am hitting the cup dead centre.

Pieface
25th November 2011, 02:37 PM
Interesting TF. You only invited me out once and I thought the greens were much slower than K-town or Harty.

TourFit
25th November 2011, 02:38 PM
Is it true that the new super at Carramar has done awesome things PF...

...are the greens running faster than 7' these days?

Yossarian
25th November 2011, 02:39 PM
I've played three times at ML now and have never thought they were that quick.

MegaWatty
25th November 2011, 02:39 PM
Fastest I've played were Busso before the SW Open. They were also the most pure.

I've played SH when they were super fast. Only played Kwinana in 43 degree heat and they sucked. Mid summer can be chaos at Hartfield.

Glad I couldn't assist.

Yossarian
25th November 2011, 02:40 PM
Bunbury the week after the PGA! That was scary!

Shadesy
25th November 2011, 02:41 PM
Shite..I thought SH were super fast for our Summer Cup.

I thought Harty was a bit slower than normal last time i played...Although I didnt get to putt much!

Pieface
25th November 2011, 02:42 PM
I don't TF. He has certainly smoothed the surfaces out and hardened them up a lot at Carramar. They are a lot closer to wembley than marangaroo now! Nuff, GN and Rubin seemed to find them agreeable enough when we went out.

Nice of you to sneer but with your tee game you'd be furked up there :p

rubin
25th November 2011, 02:43 PM
when we played earlier in the year, i thought SH was running pretty quick as well.

Lake K's were getting up there when i played there a few months ago as well, didnt take much to get the ball moving.

Unfortunately, most greens have seemed farily quick recently, they had been letting the greens at rocko grow out a bit :(

TourFit
25th November 2011, 02:44 PM
Interesting TF. You only invited me out once and I thought the greens were much slower than K-town or Harty.

It may well have been true when you played. For the most part, ML greens are soft(ish), and so they sometimes effectively play slower. Harty is definately the opposite, and I've had some trying rounds over there.

Generally, pretty much ALL members of a club will tell you that there is a fair bit of variation on their greens throughout the year.

Personally, I don't really care about the speed...that's what the practice green and a few early putts will tell you. I'm looking for a green that rolls true. Better having a smooth, true green running at 10' than a fast, bumpy green that runs at 12'.

That is my biggest criticism with ML...because they are soft, the traffic can make them very bumpy by the end of the afternoon's play (which is largely why I don't play PM golf!)

rubin
25th November 2011, 02:45 PM
I don't TF. He has certainly smoothed the surfaces out and hardened them up a lot at Carramar. They are a lot closer to wembley than marangaroo now! Nuff, GN and Rubin seemed to find them agreeable enough when we went out.

the greens were running nicely the day we played there. Just couldnt get a read on some of the lines. I think you may have said it on the day PF, some of them take a bit of local knowledge to know really where to play it to.

Shadesy
25th November 2011, 02:47 PM
This sounds like meaningful discussion...Whats going on here.

Rubin Prefers smooth rather than Bumpy.....ahhhh thats better!

rubin
25th November 2011, 02:48 PM
not everything is a clusterf*** or homo bashing.

and i think everyone prefers smooth greens

TourFit
25th November 2011, 02:50 PM

Mate...I've played many times up there with Dave N and Barry R. I think Carramar has the potential to be THE best public track in WA. I was actually NOT sneering, but I saw Barry yesterday who was saying that the super was well on the way to getting the greens to be where they should be. Carramar in the past though has been a bit of 'Pot Luck' with how the greens turned out every week...and it was a bit of a shame.

It's also good to see that the weekend Social Club Comps are now going to be off the Blue Tees. At last. Play the course at the ACR 72, and not the pissy 69 that it is off Whites! Best decision they could make out there. I might have to start having the odd game again with Dave or Barry (or even YOU!)

You are 100% absolutely correct on my tee game & Carramar. ****ED!

Bruce Dickinson
25th November 2011, 03:05 PM
Wembley greens are running around 9 at the moment. We can quite easily have them at 11-12 but wouldn't have any grass left after about two weeks. Two new rollers arrived last week which will help increase green speed

TourFit
25th November 2011, 03:20 PM
But surely you'd be first to admit Bruce, that if you had them at 12 then the paying public would likely not be particularly happy...and as you said, as long as they are smooth that is more important. If it takes the risk of killing them off to have them that fast then I would guess it's not a good place to be for a public track. I think that the Private clubs would have more upfront money (with yearly fees), and whether members play after they pay is irrelevant, so perhaps they can keep the speeds more up there?

Unfortunately, private course members seem to equate green and quality with speed...and seem to complain when they are not that quick. I'm sure Joe Public who is the bread & butter at Wembley, doesn't have these thoughts as much?

Bruce Dickinson
25th November 2011, 03:43 PM
But surely you'd be first to admit Bruce, that if you had them at 12 then the paying public would likely not be particularly happy...and as you said, as long as they are smooth that is more important. If it takes the risk of killing them off to have them that fast then I would guess it's not a good place to be for a public track.

Unfortunately, private course members seem to equate green and quality with speed...and seem to complain when they are not that quick. I'm sure Joe Public who is the bread & butter at Wembley doesn't have these thoughts as much?

unfortunately as you said for many speed equals quality, I could put a sign here saying the greens are stimping at 11 and a lot of people wouldn't know if that was correct. We get them to around 11 for the Cambridge Cup and that's plenty

Our aim is around 9, not soft and a good roll

Pieface
25th November 2011, 03:59 PM
Yeah a true roll is the go and that is something Wembley does on a consistent basis which is amazing given the traffic.

Just having a tweak back TF. All good fun :) Playing off the blues at Carramar is a big win for the guys in the club who aren't pushing 70. Hopefully with the greens improving they will find some coin to eradicate more of the clumpy crab grass stuff.

Doesn't matter to me anymore I am not likely to see a golf course for years. Just got back from the scan...twins! Stoked/shitscared/shocked...you name it I'm feeling it.

rubin
25th November 2011, 04:08 PM
Congrats PF. Good news

TourFit
25th November 2011, 04:16 PM
Doesn't matter to me anymore I am not likely to see a golf course for years. Just got back from the scan...twins! Stoked/shitscared/shocked...you name it I'm feeling it.

:shock: Congrats (I think!)

Given your giant fweakishness...I bet your not HALF as scared/shocked as she is. Gestating two mini Piefaces will be interesting.

All the best mate. I'm sure it'll be just fine. Stay on here and live golf through us. :D

Bruce Dickinson
25th November 2011, 04:21 PM
Twins....there goes the golf for five years :lol:

MegaWatty
25th November 2011, 04:27 PM
Holy moly! Congrats mate!

You got any nice gear? Dibs!

Pieface
25th November 2011, 04:28 PM
I forsee a second job in my future

Thanks guys

rubin
25th November 2011, 04:29 PM
Will that make it 3 or 4 mate?

Pieface
25th November 2011, 04:33 PM
Three. I need to make a booking to see zues and get neutered.

TourFit
25th November 2011, 04:44 PM
Yoss is an amateur...but apparently does good work :lol:

MegaWatty
25th November 2011, 04:45 PM
Can suck a man sterile?

rubin
25th November 2011, 04:47 PM
Can suck a man sterile?

The chicken and mayo roll for lunch just got chucked.

I feel ill. :(

Shadesy
25th November 2011, 04:56 PM
Holy Crap...I was just talking to my dad today about Twins and how people cope...

Congrats Pie. Awesome news.

Zeusgolf
25th November 2011, 07:18 PM
PF I can sort you out for $20.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1969-NOVELTY-GENUINE-FRENCH-BIRTH-CONTROL-DEVICE-/320447125217#ht_500wt_1156

TourFit
25th November 2011, 07:28 PM
And it comes in a pink box...LOL!

Isn't that the problem?

Pieface
25th November 2011, 07:29 PM
Oo la la indeed.

I won't ask how you find stuff like that :shock:

Veefore
25th November 2011, 08:40 PM
Harty runs around 9-11 most of the time and can get away with slightly faster because of the fairly flat greens. The Super wouldn't know a stimpmeter if you shoved it in his face so I think it is just based on cut height, how many cuts and if they roll them.

When Kwinana has the same speeds as Harty they feel like they are lightning, especially downhillers just because they have more slope.

MegaWatty
25th November 2011, 09:01 PM
The new 8th green at HF looks to have some slope to it! Eek!!!

TourFit
25th November 2011, 10:50 PM
Dave_1 would NOT approve.

He no rikey sropes!

bergsey
25th November 2011, 11:14 PM
Our super put up this article on the club website, perhaps to educate the members! - http://www.wagolfclub.com.au/images/documents/The_Truth_Consequences_about_green_speed_2006.pdf

Similar to TF, the scariest greens i've ever putted on were the Monday at the Vines after the Heineken Classic. Course was baked, I never really appreciated how important it is for pros to be 'below the hole'. You could easily 4 or 5 putt these greens, especially any downhill putts

Golfnut
25th November 2011, 11:17 PM
Awesome news PF.....now put it away young fella or some of us may not be around by the time you get to come out for a game again ;)

Played Mosman Park this arvo and was really impressed. Relatively long at just over 6kms but it feels like it plays longer going up and down the hill. Greens were still recovering from coring & sanding so were really slow but true so I'll reserve my judgement once I've been back a few more times which I intend to do over the summer.

Anyone else play ther before?......at just over $100 a month & no noms for a pretty solid 9 holer, that's pretty good value.

Wouldn't mind checking out Nedlands next.

Veefore
25th November 2011, 11:32 PM
The new 8th green at HF looks to have some slope to it! Eek!!!

I haven't seen it yet, only the drawings. In fact, I've only been to the club twice since September and one of those was at night.

idgolfguy
25th November 2011, 11:57 PM
Why would you want to join a 9 hole course to play 18?

Cool PF!

TourFit
26th November 2011, 12:36 AM
I haven't seen it yet, only the drawings. In fact, I've only been to the club twice since September and one of those was at night.

Contact Nuffie for golf devices specifically for night use!

Golfnut
26th November 2011, 01:35 AM
Why would you want to join a 9 hole course to play 18?Cool PF! Who said anything about joining? I recognize value when I see it.

Yossarian
26th November 2011, 01:49 AM
Since when is it 100 a month with no noms??

Yossarian
26th November 2011, 02:11 AM
Last I saw was close to 2k for seven day!!

Johnny Canuck
26th November 2011, 09:45 AM
Nedlands is a joke.

Cosmopolite
26th November 2011, 12:25 PM
much better to play an 18 hole course

Yossarian
26th November 2011, 12:59 PM
Snobs.

idgolfguy
26th November 2011, 01:56 PM
Pt Walter some nice views. Binningup
Almost Royal Fremantle.

Nuffie
26th November 2011, 07:56 PM
Contact Nuffie for golf devices specifically for night use!Imagine night golf at The Vines? Holes lit up like Perth Airport... And maybe disco-kangaroos?$100 a month with no noms at Mossey Park? That's good value for a city course, even if a 9 holer. The only place for less $$$ is Chequers, or a FIFO membership somewhere. Seaview have a special at the moment, but in the location it is, I'd rather go kite surfing with the amount of wind it gets. QBN chopper is a member at Mossey Park.

Nuffie
26th November 2011, 08:03 PM
Harty runs around 9-11 most of the time and can get away with slightly faster because of the fairly flat greens. The Super wouldn't know a stimpmeter if you shoved it in his face so I think it is just based on cut height, how many cuts and if they roll them. When Kwinana has the same speeds as Harty they feel like they are lightning, especially downhillers just because they have more slope.Hartfield greens were also firm, which made them even more slippery. In August that course has tough greens. Kwinana's are similar at that time of the year too. On the 12th at K-town and 10th at Harty, you definitely don't want to be above the hole. Out of all WA greens played, I found the Joondalup (lakes) greens the toughest I've ever putted on a few years back.

Yossarian
26th November 2011, 09:28 PM
Who said anything about joining? I recognize value when I see it.

Where did you see this?

qbnchopper
26th November 2011, 10:52 PM
Played Mosman Park this arvo and was really impressed. Relatively long at just over 6kms but it feels like it plays longer going up and down the hill. Greens were still recovering from coring & sanding so were really slow but true so I'll reserve my judgement once I've been back a few more times which I intend to do over the summer.

Anyone else play ther before?......at just over $100 a month & no noms for a pretty solid 9 holer, that's pretty good value.

Was a member there for 5 years until this year ....

If it is maintained it can be very good, and as you say it is reasonable value. I left becuase the course had steadily declined over the five years, mebership numbers declined as well, no juniors and in my opinion no future !!! The median age of the membership is 69 !

I think that if you live nearby and are not worrieda bout being a member there in ten years - go fo it !

Yossarian
26th November 2011, 10:59 PM
Is it really 100 a month with no noms?

Golfnut
26th November 2011, 11:20 PM
Where did you see this?

My brother was chatting to the club pro prior to our round (I was running late) and he was told no noms and $1300 a year.....this is very different to what's on their current membership form.

Golfnut
26th November 2011, 11:26 PM
Was a member there for 5 years until this year ....

If it is maintained it can be very good, and as you say it is reasonable value. I left becuase the course had steadily declined over the five years, mebership numbers declined as well, no juniors and in my opinion no future !!! The median age of the membership is 69 !

I think that if you live nearby and are not worrieda bout being a member there in ten years - go fo it !

The no noms bit is very appealing as some 9 hole courses can get a bit boring after a while so if you wanted to move on........

Members were very friendly too, which I wasn't expecting and we jumped on just before arvo comp.

It's not somewhere I'd join but my brother seemed genuinely interested so we'll probably go back for a few more rounds.

What are the greens like normally qbn?

Johnny Canuck
27th November 2011, 12:12 AM
It's not somewhere you would join is the understatement of the year. Is there anywhere you would join?

adlo
27th November 2011, 12:21 AM
A course of Yokine/Mt Lawley quality, low membership numbers a few mins from home for around $30/month. Must accept cash payment and no mail sent to home address so the bride never finds out.

Where can he sign up?

Golfnut
27th November 2011, 12:26 AM
A course of Yokine/Mt Lawley quality, low membership numbers a few mins from home for around $30/month. Must accept cash payment and no mail sent to home address so the bride never finds out.

Where can he sign up?

Pass.....$30/month! Fook, you think I'm made of money or sumtin?

Johnny Canuck
27th November 2011, 01:05 AM
Nice!

Nuffie
27th November 2011, 10:38 AM
OMG... The chance of Golfnut finding an 'affordable' private course to join and that ticks all the boxes, possibly appears as likely to him ever joining Happy Gilmore's 'Happy Place'.

But least u have PGN 'nut. You are 1 up on my dad who brags about being down to 12... AT FAIRFIELD RSL social club, lol. Ive said to my dad, least thing he could do is get a Golf Australia cap.

qbnchopper
27th November 2011, 10:39 AM
Mossy Park
- 8 of the greens if prepared as hard, low cut greens are true and quick - a bit grainy sometimes and spike up in the afternoon - but were pretty good to putt on. At the moment these 8 greens are prepared long and soft = very very furry and grainy and bumpy - no good !
- 2 bent greens. Generally these are prepared well and it rolls quite nicely on them. However, they are young and have some growth left to go beofre they come up to a nice standard. Best of the course though and some interesting tricky breaks.

Same nines twice - doens't get too boring as there are generally two tees of slightly differnt angles which chnages the teeshot. I did get tired of it after 5 years, but I got more tired of where the membership was going ...

Members - a good crew - only one guy I would avoid, and if I was stuck with him, he was still tolerable. Not a lot of youn guys, but there were about 20 of us who sortof hung around together played at same times etc. Std Bet is $1, $1, $1 with 20c bits. Possibly $2 ...

Prizes - weak ! SuperPins - ok ! Can wing big vouchers on big days redeembable at pro shop or bar. Little prizes only valid for three months in the bar.

Noms/ Fees - its about $2045 for the year (Oct to September) with monthly deductions .... not sure what specials they have on now but ..

Access to course / practice - hardly anyone is there outside of comp times so can get on to practice/play anytime. Practice facilites aren't great but have potential.

Summary - I thought it was good value when I lived 3 mins away, could practice anytime. I left becuase I moved and I was concerened about the ability of the club to survive in the longer term becuase of the age and attitudes of the memebership and the lack of initiatives to make money. I hope the place survives and thrive s...

Golfnut
28th November 2011, 09:10 AM
Cheers qbn, I'll pass the info on.

idgolfguy
28th November 2011, 10:43 AM
I probably would not join a club or play as much golf if I lived more than 15 minutes away from my club.

Veefore
28th November 2011, 01:36 PM
I probably would not join a club or play as much golf if I lived more than 15 minutes away from my club.
I used to live 2 minutes from WAGC and 45 minutes (on a good day) from Hartfield. Though I did make it from Hartfield to home in Joondanna and back again in 40 minutes once when I rocked up to play pennants and opened the boot of the car and saw it was empty, no clubs. Thank goodness there were not speed cameras in the tunnel!

When I also worked north of the river I only ever went to the club on Saturday's. When I started working 15 minutes from the club I was able to go after work.

Nuffie
28th November 2011, 01:40 PM
ID raises a valid point. Living so close to The Vines now really makes me feel all my Christmases have come at once.Too much of a drive every week to your home club makes it feel like to much of a 'committment' rather than a recreational activity that golfing should be. And besides, it not only makes the day feel much longer, but is a slight drain to your concentration even before you hit off if it takes a decent trip to get there.The exception I have to this rule is a drive to a course that I would not regularly play. In this situation the music gets turned up and it's all part of the experience, as it's something that is not regular 'routine'.

Nuffie
28th November 2011, 01:49 PM
Speaking of which, will definitely be up for the odd Thursday hit now at Hartfield. The Vines is a great course, but Hartfield demands more consistency/precision IMO at times. It definitely makes sure all aspects of the game are sharp like a razorblade.

Yossarian
28th November 2011, 03:22 PM
Kinda considering Mosman if that is the deal... Maybe a little far to drive for the money/ 9 holes.

rubin
28th November 2011, 03:31 PM
Kinda considering Mosman if that is the deal... Maybe a little far to drive for the money/ 9 holes.

why not back to KB? cheap memberships really.

Other option is Gosnells. My cousin just joined there on the 3 month trial ($250 or something - full rights). Not a great course, but closer to home, cheap m/ships and at least you get comp rounds mid week.

simmsy
28th November 2011, 04:22 PM
alot of Gossy is all but unplayable in winter though! i wish i could talk myself into joining there (2mins from home) but just can't do it. maybe that will change down the track.

Yossarian
28th November 2011, 04:25 PM
why not back to KB? cheap memberships really.

Other option is Gosnells. My cousin just joined there on the 3 month trial ($250 or something - full rights). Not a great course, but closer to home, cheap m/ships and at least you get comp rounds mid week.

Mosman is an awful lot closer than KB.

rubin
28th November 2011, 04:29 PM
KB wasnt the option for being close, but it is worth the drive to play there.

TourFit
28th November 2011, 04:53 PM
Freo Public is an awful lot closer than KB.

Fixed.

Yossarian
28th November 2011, 05:05 PM
KB wasnt the option for being close, but it is worth the drive to play there.

Why did you leave for a vastly inferior track then?

rubin
28th November 2011, 05:09 PM

why not when someone is offering to pay for half of the yearly membership costs? wouldnt you?

Yossarian
28th November 2011, 05:14 PM
Not when only a few hundred more got me KB.

The cost wasn't the issue, the driving is.

TourFit
28th November 2011, 05:16 PM

'Cos he has a vastly inferior game...

Not when only a few hundred more got me KB.

The cost wasn't the issue, the putting is.

Fixed. AGAIN!

rubin
28th November 2011, 05:22 PM
'Cos he has a vastly inferior game...

Fixed. AGAIN!

Im starting to wonder who has more tickets on themselves - JC or Tourfit???

The answer used to be quite obvious, but not so much anymore.........

Pieface
28th November 2011, 05:25 PM
Toufit has heaps of tickets on himself.

They all say "Buy one Big Mac, get one free"

Johnny Canuck
28th November 2011, 05:34 PM
Im starting to wonder who has more tickets on themselves - JC or Tourfit???The answer used to be quite obvious, but not so much anymore.........Tourfit sucks. I rock.Pieface, gold.

rubin
28th November 2011, 05:48 PM
Toufit has heaps of tickets on himself.

They all say "Buy one Big Mac, get one free"

I heard they said "men eat 4 free"

Tourfit sucks. I rock.Pieface, gold.

True - Tourfit has been working hard for "biggest ego on OzGolf" award though. Most improved in that catagory.

Yossarian
28th November 2011, 06:09 PM
Where did he say how good he was?

TourFit
28th November 2011, 06:41 PM
Thanks Yoss...

...I NEVER say things like that ('cos it's just not true).

I do, however, point out the 'deficiencies' of others from time to time :)

simmsy
29th November 2011, 05:40 PM
went and had a hit at a new simulator place around the corner from me today called "Par3"

they have 4 hitting bays and you can select from 18 courses - Pinehurst, Pebble Beach, Banff Springs - NO CARNOUSTIE!!! wtf!

$30 for 60mins which you can play 18 holes in that time easy.

I played Banff, it's pretty good but not great some shots reacted totally different to what they would have in real life and distances weren't always very accurate. putting was too easy. Overall 3/5. I shot a 73 so obviously its alot easier than real golf but a bit of fun if you were just mucking around with a couple of non-golfing mates. you can have a beer there too which is a bonus.

Nuffie
29th November 2011, 07:11 PM
went and had a hit at a new simulator place around the corner from me today called "Par3"

they have 4 hitting bays and you can select from 18 courses - Pinehurst, Pebble Beach, Banff Springs - NO CARNOUSTIE!!! wtf!

$30 for 60mins which you can play 18 holes in that time easy.

I played Banff, it's pretty good but not great some shots reacted totally different to what they would have in real life and distances weren't always very accurate. putting was too easy. Overall 3/5. I shot a 73 so obviously its alot easier than real golf but a bit of fun if you were just mucking around with a couple of non-golfing mates. you can have a beer there too which is a bonus.

Is it harder than Nintendo Wii golf Simmsy?

simmsy
29th November 2011, 07:18 PM
more realistic than Wii, i shot a 73 so no it's not hard, you can hit draw/fade just as you normally would on the course. it's a very similar setup to what they have got at Wembley, but Pieface wouldn't hit the side wall on his back swing in this place.

it gives you all the normal data like ball speed/smash factor/face angle and swing path etc etc.

Bruce Dickinson
29th November 2011, 07:29 PM
more realistic than Wii, i shot a 73 so no it's not hard, you can hit draw/fade just as you normally would on the course. it's a very similar setup to what they have got at Wembley, but Pieface wouldn't hit the side wall on his back swing in this place.

it gives you all the normal data like ball speed/smash factor/face angle and swing path etc etc.
we altered the set up and its now impossible to hit the side wall :D

simmsy
29th November 2011, 08:04 PM
Pieface would find a way. :)

Rubin- Gosnells aint that cheap. Over $200 more a year for 5day.

Yossarian
29th November 2011, 08:13 PM
Just emailed MPGC, GN must have got a one off lowball discount.

simmsy
29th November 2011, 08:17 PM
Thought it sounded too cheap, for a place full of self-important tossers like MP

Pieface
29th November 2011, 09:18 PM
I was good with the side wall. The roof otoh...

TourFit
29th November 2011, 09:47 PM

WTF Indeed!!!

(Although it would probably cost too much to install the massive fans to make the wind lifelike...)

simmsy
29th November 2011, 09:50 PM
They could just put you to the side ;)

Shadesy
29th November 2011, 11:14 PM
Just emailed MPGC, GN must have got a one off lowball discount.

Well done Yoss, Marri park is great this time of year!

rubin
9th January 2012, 06:10 PM
I know we have had this discussion prior (re: golf coaches). But doing some research and looking for a coach who is nearby to where I live, and for a more extended period of time.

The name of Ross Metherell came up in my searches (at collier park), and just wondering if any of you blokes (or lady) have had any experience with him?

FWIW - Carbon seems to have disappeared. Can't find him anywhere.

Johnny Canuck
9th January 2012, 06:24 PM
Maybe he was working on ATMs with Seldom Eagles.

FoxGolf
9th January 2012, 06:29 PM
Not sure where you live but I recently had a lesson from Richie Smith at Melville Glades and from that experience would recommend him. I've booked in to see him again next week.

rubin
9th January 2012, 06:36 PM
Not sure where you live but I recently had a lesson from Richie Smith at Melville Glades and from that experience would recommend him. I've booked in to see him again next week.

im near there as well, and put in an email to them re: pricing, plans etc. just waiting to hear back. I read that ross had some good credentials, but just wanted some first hand feedback.

FoxGolf
9th January 2012, 07:20 PM
I know in the early/mid 90's Ross was very well regarded. I think at the time he was coaching the state team and had made a name for himself as a good teacher. I haven't had any dealings with him personally.

MegaWatty
9th January 2012, 08:54 PM
Not sure where you live but I recently had a lesson from Richie Smith at Melville Glades and from that experience would recommend him. I've booked in to see him again next week. My opinion of that guy is not very high at all.

rubin
9th January 2012, 08:57 PM
My opinion of that guy is not very high at all.

Do tell

Johnny Canuck
9th January 2012, 09:11 PM
Do tell He was talking about you.

idgolfguy
9th January 2012, 09:31 PM
Ross is a very in-demand coach. He used to have a few tour pros in his stable.

Great if you can get him.

Shadesy
9th January 2012, 10:19 PM
My wife's friends sister is goon out with Vernon at Melville Glades! Based on that I was goon to see him!

simmsy
9th January 2012, 10:23 PM
RS certainly has ruffled a few people over the years but i do know a couple of guys that use him and have done for long periods of time. He is also the coach of the State girls who won the Nat. Champs last year.

Johnny Canuck
9th January 2012, 10:36 PM
You swing like a girl, maybe he's your answer.

hocko
9th January 2012, 10:45 PM
Also lost Matt Jager as his boy.
Ritchie is a good coach but personally i think he belittles a lot of "won't be pro" students.
Vern is an excellent short game coach. Pubin, i would go and see him , he's about $40 per session and is slightly cheaper than Rich.

hocko
11th January 2012, 08:00 PM
I know Mega has said his two bob worth on this but i must have a say also.
I had a job to do in Kalgoorlie today and finished at about 2 o'clock so i decided to go to Kalgoorlie GC and have a hit.
I was in my work gear complete with high vis and steelcaps, borrowed a set of old clubs from a local bloke.
Any way.....what an awsome golf course. Cut out of absolutely nothing but red dirt and in the middle of Butt F**k Idaho.
It is in perfect nick for this time of year, hardly saw a divot and the greens, although a little slow, rolled perfectly.
I only had time to play the front nine but took the cart for a drive around the back nine.
I played off the tips and it is pretty long @ 6768Mts.
Pics will show the condition.
If someone is paying you to fly to Kal and do a job then make sure you do it quick and get onto the golf course.
Pure Awsomeness!

MegaWatty
11th January 2012, 08:02 PM
An absolutely awesome experience. One of those golfing moments that will never leave your mind.

I can't wait to play there again.

hocko
11th January 2012, 08:04 PM
An absolutely awesome experience. One of those golfing moments that will never leave your mind.

I can't wait to play there again.
Agreed.
Seriously thinking about getting the late flight out tomorrow and having another crack.

MegaWatty
11th January 2012, 08:11 PM
What'd you think of the 9th green?

hocko
11th January 2012, 08:20 PM
What'd you think of the 9th green?
One very scary green.
Luckily i was at the front and the pin was about 8 Mts on, i wonder if they actually put the pin at the back.
If they did i think my putt would end up in the carpark

idgolfguy
12th January 2012, 12:42 AM
Will have to work out the logistics to play there this year.

Johnny Canuck
12th January 2012, 12:50 AM
I am thinking I need to visit my Kal clients at some point.

Veefore
12th January 2012, 09:02 AM
I know we have had this discussion prior (re: golf coaches). But doing some research and looking for a coach who is nearby to where I live, and for a more extended period of time.

The name of Ross Metherell came up in my searches (at collier park), and just wondering if any of you blokes (or lady) have had any experience with him?

FWIW - Carbon seems to have disappeared. Can't find him anywhere.

Metherell is very good but hard to get a booking with and he also charges above the PGA rate. He is very straightforward and not into fads or the "latest" golf swings. He teaches what works for you based on the amount of effort and practice you want to put in. He also has a serious back injury which is what ended his tour career but he found a way around it to still play occasionally. Because of this he is very sensitive to people with back injuries as well as swinging a golf club in a way that minimizes stress on the back.

He also has to reschedule lessons a lot as other things come up with the business or if one of his tour pro's calls and he has to jump on a plane to wherever they are for a week. This was the reason I stopped seeing him. It was a pain to book a month ahead only to receive a call the day before the lesson saying he was in London and couldn't make my lesson and I'd have to re-book for a week or more later.

rubin
12th January 2012, 12:50 PM
I had a job to do in Kalgoorlie today and finished at about 2 o'clock so i decided to go to Kalgoorlie GC and have a hit.
I was in my work gear complete with high vis and steelcaps, borrowed a set of old clubs from a local bloke.
Any way.....what an awsome golf course. Cut out of absolutely nothing but red dirt and in the middle of Butt F**k Idaho.
It is in perfect nick for this time of year, hardly saw a divot and the greens, although a little slow, rolled perfectly.
I only had time to play the front nine but took the cart for a drive around the back nine.
If someone is paying you to fly to Kal and do a job then make sure you do it quick and get onto the golf course.
Pure Awsomeness!

2012 champs at Kal?

TourFit
12th January 2012, 01:57 PM
We've had the 2012 Champs...remember?

Johnny Canuck
12th January 2012, 02:02 PM
That was the 2011.5 champs.

rubin
12th January 2012, 02:04 PM
no - that was the gavin simms memorial.

2011 champs was in march.

TourFit
12th January 2012, 02:04 PM
You can be the one to tell Nuffie that he didn't actually win Champs at all...

Yossarian
13th January 2012, 11:48 AM
KB was on fire yesterday. Nice way of firming the course up.

MegaWatty
13th January 2012, 11:57 AM
For the people that have seen it...Thoughts on the new 8th green at Hartfield?

Yossarian
13th January 2012, 11:58 AM
It looks good, I think the back tier is a little too small to be practicable.

MegaWatty
13th January 2012, 12:05 PM
It looks that way from the fairway. It also looks like it has too much slope. I walked up next to it the other day and the slope seems less severe up close and there are numerous pins available.

In sure they'll find a way to **** the bunkers up.

TourFit
13th January 2012, 06:00 PM

They could put woodchips in the bottom of it

Shadesy
13th January 2012, 06:25 PM
KB was on fire yesterday. Nice way of firming the course up.

I meant to post about that...I went an had a squiz...Looks like the Bushland east of the 14th/15th. From my vantage point it looked close to the 14th green, not sure it got any damage though. I'll check it out tomorrow.

rubin
13th January 2012, 06:32 PM
just saw the FB post from them. there will be some new GUR/drop zones, and apparently there will be some small changes to 13,14 and 15.

Veefore
13th January 2012, 10:19 PM

They will, but letting that dropkick design the green was their first mistake. The club needs a real course architect, not a greenkeeper from another club (that won't let him design their greens) who designs every green on the same formula, just varying slightly between them. Although I did see he must have flipped his piece of paper by accident and put what is normally on the right on the left and vise versa.

MegaWatty
13th January 2012, 10:23 PM
Didn't we have an archi **** the 10th?

Johnny Canuck
13th January 2012, 10:23 PM
And the 13th.

MegaWatty
13th January 2012, 10:24 PM
Should have gone with 69er.

Veefore
13th January 2012, 10:43 PM
Didn't we have an archi **** the 10th?

I know Wayne Smith was involved in some of the early master planning but have since been told that most of the work at Hartfield over the last few years has been the work of Trevor Strachan from Karrinyup. I don't know if there is a connection between the two.

10 was a real disaster from the beginning. Anything that landed on the left side of the green rolled left into the middle-left bunker along with the rain, which eventually washed the left side of the green into the bunker too. It all had to be rebuilt after the first winter and the bunker filled in.

One of the Greens Committee has met with 69er at least once and really liked what he saw but told me that at the time the club couldn't afford him.

TourFit
13th January 2012, 11:15 PM
Overpriced wanker...Qld is full of them :mrgreen:

Mt Lawley has used Michael Coate to design our Masterplan, and a lot of the actual building has been done 'in house' by Glenn Cross and the staff. One of the guys is apparently a miracle worker on the bobcat and is an excellent shaper. Coate comes out and supervises some of the early ground work and drainage from what I've heard.

MegaWatty
13th January 2012, 11:33 PM
The new edges on 18 at Hartfield are also a disgrace. If we're not ripping them up and reducing the size of the green again, this time next year, I'll be blown away!

Yossarian
14th January 2012, 01:00 AM
The new edges on 18 at Hartfield are also a disgrace. If we're not ripping them up and reducing the size of the green again, this time next year, I'll be blown away!

+1000!

sco
14th January 2012, 01:02 PM
Pure Awsomeness!

Over 30,000 people live in 'Butt F**k Idaho'. Just because all you can see is an airport & a few mines to make money off doesn't mean there isn't a town with a great commuinty atmosphere that gets these sorts of projects up & completed. It took 30 years of state gov. lobbying by the 3 existing golf clubs & a pro-active council to get this top 100 course in the ground.
Not everyone want to work FIFO. Many young family's in Kal who get to see their kids every night but still make a good living.
As for 9 green, of course every level is used. It's more of a novelty as with a successful lay up short of the bunkers, the most your've got is a PW to the back/bottom level. Each tier is the size of a small green so missing with a wedge you shouldn't be more than one level off.

TourFit
14th January 2012, 02:56 PM
Can 30,000 people ALL be wrong? :lol:

Nice 1st post i_Golf. WELCOME.

idgolfguy
14th January 2012, 02:59 PM
Are the stables at Hay Street still doing a good trade?

MegaWatty
14th January 2012, 03:32 PM
sco....It's a term of endearment. I tell people I live in Bumf*** Idaho and I'm 19k's from Perth CBD.

FWIW, I think a lot of people love Kal. It's a real town. Not like those Port Hedland and Karratha DUMPS!

idgolfguy
14th January 2012, 03:49 PM
Raceround! Says it all...

Johnny Canuck
14th January 2012, 04:22 PM
Raceround! Says it all...

Reacharound in Lubin and Yoss's case.

To them, Bum**** Idaho sounds like utopia.

simmsy
14th January 2012, 05:04 PM
Yeah i think you've taken Hocko the wrong way mate. My family all come from that ****in place and I love the place for its character and charm. Still got family and friends up there. At this time of year it can be pretty hard to see the beauty of anything when it's so friggin hot.

hocko
14th January 2012, 05:40 PM
Over 30,000 people live in 'Butt F**k Idaho'. Just because all you can see is an airport & a few mines to make money off doesn't mean there isn't a town with a great commuinty atmosphere that gets these sorts of projects up & completed. It took 30 years of state gov. lobbying by the 3 existing golf clubs & a pro-active council to get this top 100 course in the ground.
Not everyone want to work FIFO. Many young family's in Kal who get to see their kids every night but still make a good living.
As for 9 green, of course every level is used. It's more of a novelty as with a successful lay up short of the bunkers, the most your've got is a PW to the back/bottom level. Each tier is the size of a small green so missing with a wedge you shouldn't be more than one level off.
Mmm, i think someone has misinterpreted what i said.
I'm pretty sure i gave it a decent wrap!

FoxGolf
18th January 2012, 12:07 AM
There's a $49 deal on Cudo today for Rockingham Golf Club. Two people for 18 holes including carts, 2 beers, Couple of balls and a bucket of range balls. Sounds like a good deal to me. Is it worth the journey to Rockingham for this? The deal is valid to 22 July.

simmsy
18th January 2012, 12:36 AM
No.

rubin
18th January 2012, 12:57 AM
Being a member there - i agree with simmsy.

Oms doesnt rate the course, but it is in good nick, and they've put in the hard yards that are starting to pay off. But not worth the cost of the cudo deal.

Cosmopolite
18th January 2012, 01:06 AM
it's not a bad deal for 2 ppl with carts

Johnny Canuck
18th January 2012, 02:48 AM
Disagree. $49 for two with carts is well worth it. Rocko is a solid course. It is probably just too long for Simmsy and too tight for Rubin.

Golfnut
18th January 2012, 10:07 AM
Agree with UC, Rockos a great track and a always a good test. I prefer to walk Rocko so I see less value in the carts being included. I would say its worth it Fox if you've never played there before.

rubin
18th January 2012, 10:09 AM
Disagree. $49 for two with carts is well worth it. Rocko is a solid course. It is probably just too long for Simmsy and too tight for Rubin.

Not overly tight at all. I misread fg's post and thought that was per person. 49 for 2 is a great deal.

Zeusgolf
18th January 2012, 10:27 AM
Butt **** Idaho is slowly closing down....well the pubs that is...which is an indictment on what's going on in town....

FoxGolf
18th January 2012, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the replies. The carts don't really worry me either as I think I play better when I walk and I need the exercise. Good to try a different course though.

idgolfguy
18th January 2012, 02:02 PM
Butt **** Idaho is slowly closing down....well the pubs that is...which is an indictment on what's going on in town....Why are they closing down gold price is still up?

Zeusgolf
18th January 2012, 07:19 PM
Why are they closing down gold price is still up?

Not sure......think FIFO gets a better run than gold mining.....plus it virtually automated these days...

Yossarian
18th January 2012, 07:58 PM
Not overly tight at all. I misread fg's post and thought that was per person. 49 for 2 is a great deal.

He doesn't mean that kind of tight, he means the kind touring pro driving levels miss.

rubin
18th January 2012, 08:18 PM
He doesn't mean that kind of tight, he means the kind touring pro driving levels miss.

Its a hell of a lot tighter than vines.

Yossarian
18th January 2012, 09:06 PM
True enough. What has that got to do with anything?

TourFit
19th January 2012, 01:43 AM
That he's not attracted to The Vines...it's not tight enough!

simmsy
25th January 2012, 09:55 AM
The current one or the one they're proposing??

Water has always been a large problem on the island and hence the course is not much of one.

Shadesy
25th January 2012, 10:08 AM
There's a golf course there?

What is the proposal simmsy?

Bruce Dickinson
25th January 2012, 10:28 AM
Help me out here WAnkers, what can you tell me about the Rottnest Island Golf Course ?
should have rung me numbnuts

Cosmopolite
25th January 2012, 11:50 AM
Cute little 9 hole course with sand greens. Pretty much unplayable in summer due to lack of water. I enjoyed it when I played it a few years ago

TourFit
25th January 2012, 11:57 AM
Help me out here WAnkers, what can you tell me about the Rottnest Island Golf Course ?

Surrounded by water...

Yossarian
25th January 2012, 12:05 PM
It is pretty shit.

Golfnut
27th January 2012, 11:44 PM
Played Seaview this arvo.....the place is reallt feeling the effects, they're trying their best to protect the greens but some have suffered with this heat wave......anything just off the fairway is half dead with a few patchy fairways.

This had me baffled as I play this course quite regularly but some of the greens have as much as 50-60% Kyk in them.....for some reason I just never noticed this before and im normally fussy when it comes to greens having different grasses in them. The more I looked the more I found, I would think that some would need replacing they are that bad. Putting was very frustrating today with crazy speed changes due to the Kyk......somehow still managed to shoot my cap out there but I left at least 5 putts out there on the rim.....I've rated their greens I the past even though they had the odd bit of Kyk here and there but it's quite bad now imo.

Any thoughts BD?

Nuffie
2nd February 2012, 04:42 PM
I just played 18 holes of golf in a net 47. See if anybody can guess what WA course I just played. The review has just been lodged to ISG. Another WA course ticked off the list.

rubin
2nd February 2012, 04:49 PM
the canning vale par 3 course.

U might have to give a bit more info nuff.

Nuffie
2nd February 2012, 04:52 PM
the canning vale par 3 course.U might have to give a bit more info nuff. You got it the first go rubes.My cars being serviced up the road so had some time to kill. Been round it twice and sitting two under off the bat. I'm wondering IF to go round it again after 2x amstels as the car is still not ready.

rubin
2nd February 2012, 04:54 PM
last time i played that was before we had a paintball run (years and years, and years ago) and didn't use anything longer than a 7iron.

If i remember correctly, (and it may have changed - it looks like it might have) but the longest hole was 150 something metres.

Shadesy
2nd February 2012, 05:13 PM
last time i played that was before we had a paintball run (years and years, and years ago) and didn't use anything longer than a 7iron.

If i remember correctly, (and it may have changed - it looks like it might have) but the longest hole was 150 something metres.

The 5th is about 180 and the 6th is almost 205-210. They are down the back paddock!

rubin
2nd February 2012, 05:17 PM
The 5th is about 180 and the 6th is almost 205-210. They are down the back paddock!

it must have changed a little bit then.

I do remember 3 holes that were all less than 100m though.

Nuffie
2nd February 2012, 05:24 PM
it must have changed a little bit then.I do remember 3 holes that were all less than 100m though.That is almost true. The 2nd at 86m, 4th at 93m and the last is the next shortest at 110m. I'm about to play the 9 holes again. Have played the 205m 7th so far in birdie, par and the 9th in par, birdie. The 2nd hole was birdied twice with 55 degree wedge into 15ft.Bogeyed the 8th TWICE hitting 5 iron in. A 3-putt and a missed up/down. Looking to improve on that...

FoxGolf
2nd February 2012, 05:36 PM
I didn't know there was such a course. Where in canning vale is it? Sounds like a good place to take the kids to.

simmsy
2nd February 2012, 05:41 PM
Its a great little fun course next door to the Swan Brewery in the industrial are.

Played Harty today, bogans have been at it again with motorbikes digging up the 6th green during a comp round.

Nuffie
2nd February 2012, 08:03 PM
I didn't know there was such a course. Where in canning vale is it? Sounds like a good place to take the kids to. Off Baile Rd that runs off Bannister Rd. Two bogies and a double the third time around but missed another slam dunk ace by a foot on the 4th. Birdied the 2nd 3 times in a row!

TourFit
2nd February 2012, 08:37 PM
Simmsy practises at the nearby CV Par 3 course...that's why he hits it so short!

simmsy
2nd February 2012, 09:40 PM
;)

idgolfguy
2nd February 2012, 10:01 PM
There used to be one in Claremont next to the public course across from the pool.

idgolfguy
2nd February 2012, 10:03 PM
I didn't know there was such a course. Where in canning vale is it? Sounds like a good place to take the kids to.Have you tried Supagolf in Swan Valley? Maybe we organise an OZgolf day - high stakes using their hardware.

Bruce Dickinson
2nd February 2012, 10:13 PM
There used to be one in Claremont next to the public course across from the pool.
I think the 9 hole course is still there, they closed the other course

Pieface
2nd February 2012, 10:35 PM
Have you tried Supagolf in Swan Valley? Maybe we organise an OZgolf day - high stakes using their hardware.

They need to fire up the chainsaw before I play there again ID. Completely punishes anyone who hits the ball higher than 8 foot in the air!

Yossarian
2nd February 2012, 10:36 PM
Have you tried Supagolf in Swan Valley? Maybe we organise an OZgolf day - high stakes using their hardware.

It is terrible, the one near melville glades is better.

idgolfguy
2nd February 2012, 10:38 PM
Great if you like shaping your shots. Those balls and clubs are quite reactive.

Not tried the Melville version.

Pieface
2nd February 2012, 10:41 PM
How long since you've played it ID? Last time I was there you had to hit it thin off 70% of the tees.

idgolfguy
2nd February 2012, 10:56 PM
18 months ago.

Golfnut
2nd February 2012, 11:08 PM
I've seen you shape it PF.....

FoxGolf
2nd February 2012, 11:10 PM
They need to fire up the chainsaw before I play there again ID. Completely punishes anyone who hits the ball higher than 8 foot in the air!

A bit like the 5th(?) tee at Meadow Springs.

rubin
2nd February 2012, 11:28 PM
A bit like the 5th(?) tee at Meadow Springs.

Yeah - that tee box was shit. A massive tree overhanging about 20m in front of the tee - and someone 'frickin nailed' their hybrid straight into a branch. :D

Pieface
2nd February 2012, 11:47 PM
I thought TF hit 3W ;)

rubin
2nd February 2012, 11:54 PM
Who cares what he hit - i hit hybrid bloody perfectly, and it caught a branch and ended up right behind the tree on the corner.

Shadesy
2nd February 2012, 11:59 PM
I thought TF hit 3W ;)

The overhanging branch on the 18th can be quite a problem too ;-)

rubin
2nd February 2012, 11:59 PM
The overhanging branch on the 18th can be quite a problem too ;-)

What branch on 18?

TourFit
3rd February 2012, 12:00 AM
I hit 3 iron.

WTF...Rubin hit a tree! :shock:

rubin
3rd February 2012, 12:01 AM
I hit 3 iron.

WTF...Rubin hit a tree! :shock:

U hit the same tree dipshit!!!!!http://www.ozgolf.net/images/smilies/icon_cool.gif

Shadesy
3rd February 2012, 12:13 AM
What branch on 18?

Haha ask Pie!

Pieface
3rd February 2012, 12:24 AM
You need to use the crown of your driver to find the one on 18 :p

It's a pro shot!

rubin
3rd February 2012, 12:27 AM
You need to use the crown of your driver to find the one on 18 :p

It's a pro shot!

Is that the golfnut special? 50m drive with 11,500rpm of spin???

Pieface
3rd February 2012, 12:34 AM
Would have gone a bit further than that barring the tree. I'm on the high launch, low spin buzz ;)

Once the ball came to rest and no-one had died we had a good laugh.