PDA

View Full Version : Electrical question

damoocow
1st December 2008, 08:04 PM
Will get an electrician in to fix this as I have some other stuff that needs doing too BUT I was replacing a light bulb and the hard [plastic] part that the bulb clicks/turns into when you replace it has cracked from old age, consequently it needs to be replaced -I have an image of electrocution when I think about it - is it one of those 'don't touch it, get an expert' jobs ?

Ned
1st December 2008, 08:08 PM
Will get an electrician in to fix this as I have some other stuff that needs doing too BUT I was replacing a light bulb and the hard [plastic] part that the bulb clicks/turns into when you replace it has cracked from old age, consequently it needs to be replaced -I have an image of electrocution when I think about it - is it one of those 'don't touch it, get an expert' jobs ?

Yep,

A couple of reasons, one they know the tricks and safety stuff for replacing fittings that need to be rewired.

Secondly if their is a fire in the house and FIO's go over the place afterwords, they can actually trace the origin and if its found that work was not done by a qualified trades person then you can be charged and your insurance will wipe you.

Grunt
1st December 2008, 08:11 PM
Light Globe holders are a piece of piss to change Damoo, just go out to the electricity box and turn of the light Circuit breaker if your house has the lights on a seperate circuit. Or worst case turn off the main and replace the globe holder one wire at a time and you will do it. You are smart enough to do it.

chappy1970
2nd December 2008, 09:47 AM
I was a sparkey in a previous life and what Grant suggested is no problem. I would recommend getting an expert in, but for something as simple as changing a lamp holder, go to the mains box and flick the main switch , which will turn everything off. You'll have to go an reset all the clocks , but it's way better than the alternative.

The only tricky bit can be if your color blind, if so get someone else to do it.

Replacing a broken lamp holder is about the limit I would suggest attempting for those not qualified to do so, but hey you're all big boys you can make your own choice.

razaar
2nd December 2008, 10:26 AM
Dam.. what chappy said. If you haven't got a pr of needle nose pliers or if there is nothing left to grip & push down on give Greg M.. (Sue's hubby) a ring (no. is in the program book) he's a great bloke, (he'd have to be to live with a VP& listen to all the crap).

poidda
2nd December 2008, 10:58 AM
I need to replace a couple of light switches. Can I do this myself the same way? And yeah, I'd be turning off everything to be safe.

Minor_Threat
2nd December 2008, 12:34 PM
Working in the electrical industry myself, I wouldn't recommend doing any 240V work. Get in the professionals they should know what they are doing and it covers your ass if something goes wrong! As s7535294 pointed out..

Grunt
2nd December 2008, 02:46 PM
I need to replace a couple of light switches. Can I do this myself the same way? And yeah, I'd be turning off everything to be safe.

Same as the globe holder Poidda. Just the other end of the circuit.

peter_rs
2nd December 2008, 05:18 PM
Sorry I have to say don't as outlined. Depending of the age of the house the wiring could be just as bad.

But if still want to, you have to turn of the mains never trust the breakers. Have someone watch you.

PeteyD
2nd December 2008, 06:46 PM
Pay a sparky. Won't kill you to do that, and stuffing up 240V can.

markTHEblake
2nd December 2008, 10:54 PM
I dont take any risks at all with electricity, I get the missus to do it.

damoocow
4th December 2008, 09:18 PM
I did initially say I would get a professional in, still plan on doing that - can't say I really want to muck around with electricity - would be even more dangerous than a room full of cats.....

PeteyD
4th December 2008, 09:19 PM
Not so sure, charred flesh and ozone smells marginally better than cat piss.