PDA

View Full Version : Gilchrist

mike
30th November 2004, 04:08 PM
This may have been brought up before and if it has then I apologise but I've been thinking.

If Gilchrist was in a 10 th wicket stand with Glen McGrath chasing an unreachable total on the last day of the deciding ashes test against the poms with just 3 runs to get for the series win and he gets an indecipherable edge which is taken by the keeper and the umpire shakes his head ....would he walk ?

I don't think so.

AndyP
30th November 2004, 04:13 PM
The Aussies won't be in that position against the Poms. ;)

Who knows? The only way to know is to see if continues the trend in all circumstances.

I don't agree with walking in the first place.

Fishman Dan
30th November 2004, 04:18 PM
The irony is that because he's a walker, does the umpire look for a signal from the batsmen before making any decision? The current debate is that if you're a walker and you don't go on an appeal, are you going the ultimate double-bluff?

You'd like to think in this scenario the umpire has made up his own mind though. The decision, walk or no walk, is still the umpires.

What i don't like is Gilly sledging others who don't walk.

Jarro
30th November 2004, 05:15 PM
I don't agree with walking in the first place.

I agree.

It's up to the umpire to decide whether a batsman is out or not ... not the batsman, not the fieldsman.

If he's undecided himself, he's always got the third umpire to consult.

McMw
30th November 2004, 05:21 PM

how can anyone be undecided abt whether they nicked it or not???

Jarro
30th November 2004, 05:31 PM

how can anyone be undecided abt whether they nicked it or not???

i'm talking about the umpire here.

gazgolf1
30th November 2004, 05:45 PM
What if McGrath got the edge and stood there.....would Gillie bag him out?

damoocow
30th November 2004, 06:38 PM
Gilchrist is an arrogant, hypocritical cheat and should be dumped from the Australian cricket Team -.....
oh hang on he displays all the qualities that the selectors look for - and he fits in so well with the other twats already in the team.
damoocow

Bruce
30th November 2004, 07:49 PM
He walked in a World Cup final. How genuine does he need to be?

The only person in the world who didn't think that McMillan was out was stick-in-the-mud Bucknor. Anyone who gets an edge like that and then stands there should expect an absolute bucketing from anyone within earshot.

The recent tests were so boring that there was nothing else to write about and so a non-issue has been beaten up out of all proportion.

mike
30th November 2004, 08:38 PM
The irony is that because he's a walker, does the umpire look for a signal from the batsmen before making any decision? The current debate is that if you're a walker and you don't go on an appeal, are you going the ultimate double-bluff?

Dan, that's exactly right.

Also if a batsman is given out for, say , a dodgy bat/pad catch that was obviously nowhere near the bat will Gilchrist run over and drag the batsman back to the crease ?

I don't think so.

If anybody here is old enough to remember the centenary test, ( probably the best test match of all time IMO ) you'll remember Derek Randall edging a catch to Rod Marsh. He accepted the umpires decision and began walking off, only to be dragged back by Marshy because the ball hit the ground just before it was caught.

Randall went on to make 170 odd runs .

Fishman Dan
30th November 2004, 09:08 PM
Also if a batsman is given out for, say , a dodgy bat/pad catch that was obviously nowhere near the bat will Gilchrist run over and drag the batsman back to the crease ?

I don't think so.

Well there's also the school of thought - you win some, you lose some. There are 2 occasions in that last test where legit bat-pad dismissals were wrongly given not out.

There was not one ounce of carrying on or whinging. They went straight ont with the game. But has the media said anything about this?! Of course not, too many positives could come out of that :roll:

markTHEblake
1st December 2004, 12:55 AM
....would he walk ?

It seems he would, the definition of walking, as he has defined it, is to head back to the dresing room without waiting for the umpire to give a signal. It doesnt mean the umpire wasnt going to give him the finger.

Some of us may have noticed that on most occasions when the batsman walked, the only reason that the umpire didnt raise his finger is becuase he didnt have to.

In fact I often see now, particularily with Steve Bucknoor, he seems to give the batsman the opportunity to walk himself, with first a nod or so, before crucifying the poor buggar with the Bird.

Jarro
1st December 2004, 05:24 AM
Some of us may have noticed that on most occasions when the batsman walked, the only reason that the umpire didnt raise his finger is becuase he didnt have to.

In fact I often see now, particularily with Steve Bucknoor, he seems to give the batsman the opportunity to walk himself, with first a nod or so, before crucifying the poor buggar with the Bird.

this is right. By the time Bucknor finally made up his mind and raised his finger .... Gilly, or any other walker, would be halfway back to the dressing rooms :roll:

Get your finger out, and up, a bit quicker will ya Bucknor :evil:

Ducky
1st December 2004, 07:44 AM
"The whole world's watching, champ."

:P

Fishman Dan
1st December 2004, 07:54 AM

I like the way Bucknor operates. It gives the batsman time enough to decide for themselves. However the dodgy missed pat-pad catches were both Bucknor i think.

Often he also waits for the batsman to make eye-contact. After an edge it's not unlike any batsman to look elsewhere as if nothing happened. He waits for the eyes to meet before raising the finger and sending him on his way.

AndyP
1st December 2004, 08:07 AM
Bucknor should cut the sh*t and just give the batsman out. That's his job.

He even had his big pause and nod for an LBW decision during the last test. Why the hell would a batsman walk after a leg before appeal?