PDA

View Full Version : Mornington Golf Course

jbhayman
27th November 2008, 06:55 PM
Hi...

I am a 30 handicap at the moment and I am going out with 2 14 handicappers this weekend (yes I will look bad !! but you have to start somewhere !!). Any suggestions on how to play the Mornington course for the fist time or things to watch out for ??

JB

razaar
27th November 2008, 07:28 PM
When anyone in your group hits a shot that's half decent and better, compliment the shot. " great shot", "good shot", "nice swing there", "great contact", "top shot", "top putt" etc. anyway you get the drift. Don't stand directly behind or directly in the line of somebody putting or do anything that will catch the player's eye when he is playing a shot. When it is your time to play imagine that you are playing the course by yourself, the game is difficult enough without making it harder through anxiety. Its a game so enjoy your day...your worst day at golf has got to be better than your best day cleaning the house. Nobody gives a damn how one plays (everybody has their hands full with their own game) but they care about how one behaves and manages oneself on the course.

Jarro
27th November 2008, 07:30 PM
Make sure you keep your mobile phone turned ON, and that you make sure to give them plenty of advice on shotmaking

mike
27th November 2008, 07:34 PM
When anyone in your group hits a shot that's half decent and better, compliment the shot. " great shot", "good shot", "nice swing there", "great contact", "top shot", "top putt" etc.

I find that really irritating.

Is that what you do ?

razaar
27th November 2008, 07:41 PM

Is that what you do ?
Yep we always acknowledge each others good shots; even when playing pennants. Its something most of the older golfers have always done.

kev
27th November 2008, 07:55 PM
Be prepared for any half decent shot to roll off/through the fairway! Actually we've had a bit of rain so the ball might just plug instead. You never know with Mornington.

See here (http://www.morningtongolf.com.au/courses/28)for a description of each hole.

What they don't have on there:
2nd - stay right
3rd - stay left
4th - stay right
6th - definitely stay right or you will roll off the left hand side.
7th - pray it's not windy
12th - stay left
13th - stay left or you roll off the right hand side
14th - stay left again
15th - just hit straight over the hill
17th - stay right
18th - stay right or you roll off the left hand side.

Apart from that - have fun. Don't let the bad shots get to you, just hit the next one as best you can. There's no way you can play shots like the 14 cappers, so don't even try. Play your own game and play the shots you know how to execute.

AndyP
27th November 2008, 07:56 PM
How do you know whether the hitter of the ball considered it a good shot or not?

chappy1970
28th November 2008, 07:46 AM
JBH be prepared for a tough round mate. It is perhaps the most penal course in Melbourne.

poidda
28th November 2008, 07:59 AM
When anyone in your group hits a shot that's half decent and better, compliment the shot. " great shot", "good shot", "nice swing there", "great contact", "top shot", "top putt" etc.

Is that what you do ?

You're not wrong there. That is the most annoying thing on the course. A 30 marker might think just getting out of a bunker first go is a good shot. NEVER comment on shot unless it's a brilliant one.

razaar, do you suggest him saying "ouch" after a 3-putt as well? :roll:

BrisVegas
28th November 2008, 08:19 AM
NEVER comment on shot unless it's a brilliant one.

interesting!

My favourite is when a playing partner flubs a tee shot. "Good shot from that lie you had mate."

poidda
28th November 2008, 08:34 AM
interesting!

My favourite is when a playing partner flubs a tee shot. "Good shot from that lie you had mate."

I count that as a heckle, which is fair game between mates.

razaar
28th November 2008, 11:38 AM
razaar, do you suggest him saying "ouch" after a 3-putt as well? :roll:
Only when he three putts. :mrgreen:

jbhayman
28th November 2008, 04:33 PM
Well I have the bunker shots under control.... so here's hoping... I just hope my wife approves of a new driver before the weekend comes here because at the moment I will be playing with a 3 hybrid !!...... Thanks for all the advice... I know the group I am going with likes to comment on shots and hang Ship! on you if you hit a bad shot...here's hoping I keep it on the fairway most of the time... I have been known to hit it onto the next fairway from time to time, but I recover well.

JB

shazza_rs
28th November 2008, 05:09 PM
I hate being complemented on good shots.... its pisses me off! Try playing with a bunch of old ladies whose handicaps range from 36-45.... just hitting it more than 100m with my driver gets a 'good shot'.... ARGHHHHH!!!

The issue is perception I guess. What they consider a good shot i consider a shit shot. I hate being told i've hit a good shot when i consider it to be crap

Jarro
28th November 2008, 05:13 PM
I'll never comment on any more of your shit shots then Shazza.

;)

razaar
28th November 2008, 05:50 PM
I hate being complemented on good shots.... its pisses me off! Try playing with a bunch of old ladies whose handicaps range from 36-45.... just hitting it more than 100m with my driver gets a 'good shot'.... ARGHHHHH!!!

The issue is perception I guess. What they consider a good shot i consider a shit shot. I hate being told i've hit a good shot when i consider it to be crap
Fake it, your partner probably does.:-s

PeteyD
28th November 2008, 06:18 PM
interesting!

Get a work out at the champs?

PeteyD
28th November 2008, 06:19 PM

Aha needle #256 for the matchplay. Or a grudgematch. I think we need to start up something like grudge matches.

AndyP
28th November 2008, 06:21 PM
I don't have enough time to play all those matches, Petey.

PeteyD
28th November 2008, 06:23 PM
haha!

shazza_rs
28th November 2008, 11:01 PM
Fake it, your partner probably does.:-s

Why should i feel the need to complement every mediocre shot???

If i find it annoying then I'm sure my playing partners would be the same...

BTW, I'm not into the habit of faking it!

Flowergirl
29th November 2008, 11:03 AM
Came across this a bit late cos by the time you read this you'll already have played Mornington. It's a tough course isn't it. You really have to be able to be accurate off the tee - anything off line either finds the scrub or rolls down the slopes. And the approach shots onto the greens are very tricky - and the greens are very hard to read - all in all a difficult punishing course if you're not playing well.:shock: Hope you enjoyed it.;)

Maybe next time you're playing down this way you'll look at Rosebud Park Golf Course. Another tricky little course - not as brutal as Mornington - a lot shorter - but the best views ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD - and very inexpensive. If you ever want a game there give me a yell - we could catch up for a game. :mrgreen:

And with the "good shot" issue. I hate it when you do an average shot and someones says good shot before they even see where it's heading - Shazza - I know - just cos a shot gets off the ground some of the ladies thinks it's great!! But then again I hate it when you cream a drive or make an approach nice and close that no one says anything. Maybe I need a flag system. I hold up a green flag when I want praise and a red flag when I want you to just zip it.

jbhayman
29th November 2008, 08:19 PM
Thanks flowergirl and no it was not too late.

JB
Came across this a bit late cos by the time you read this you'll already have played Mornington. It's a tough course isn't it. You really have to be able to be accurate off the tee - anything off line either finds the scrub or rolls down the slopes. And the approach shots onto the greens are very tricky - and the greens are very hard to read - all in all a difficult punishing course if you're not playing well.:shock: Hope you enjoyed it.;)

Maybe next time you're playing down this way you'll look at Rosebud Park Golf Course. Another tricky little course - not as brutal as Mornington - a lot shorter - but the best views ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD - and very inexpensive. If you ever want a game there give me a yell - we could catch up for a game. :mrgreen:

And with the "good shot" issue. I hate it when you do an average shot and someones says good shot before they even see where it's heading - Shazza - I know - just cos a shot gets off the ground some of the ladies thinks it's great!! But then again I hate it when you cream a drive or make an approach nice and close that no one says anything. Maybe I need a flag system. I hold up a green flag when I want praise and a red flag when I want you to just zip it.

razaar
30th November 2008, 11:08 AM
Flower , just had a peek at your bag; did you get the Wishon irons fitted in the US?

jb sorry for the Threadjack, make sure to keep us informed about your day.

Flowergirl
1st December 2008, 07:49 AM
Razzar - I got my wisons from a memeber here - Ben - Golf Components. I love them - although I must admit I've never really played with anything else since I've had anything that even looked like a golf swing.
He's based in Melbourne - don't even know if he's still around.

Flowergirl
1st December 2008, 12:24 PM
Ok - further reading has told me that he is now gone out of business.