PDA

View Full Version : WA: DEC 8-15

peter_rs
24th November 2008, 11:10 PM
OK It looks like I will be in perth soon for work.

I will be there for a week for work and may add a weekend and get shazza across.

I could make time during the week or weekend.

Any interest in having a game..... Johnny Canuck are you interested in hosting?

I will confirm details later.

Johnny Canuck
24th November 2008, 11:31 PM
We'll get a game for sure, most likely will be on the weekend though as I have had a few corporate days in the past few weeks and shouldn't take any more time off. I could possibly do an afternoon start one day though, if I start early.

Get in touch a little closer to the time and we'll work something out. It'll be good getting you out again Pete. Adlo will probably join if he can make the time as well,as he has seen the light and is also joining K Bay!

adlo
24th November 2008, 11:32 PM
Peter, good stuff, where are you interested in playing?

Johnny could host at Kennedy Bay, it is in immaculate condition ATM.

If I am in on this, weekend is much preferred. I am already taking Monday the 8th off work for a full day golf clinic. Crap, my game should be in disrepair by the weekend :lol:

shazza_rs
29th November 2008, 12:59 PM
Hey guys,

We're looking like being there from Friday 5th. Probably flying over on the Thursday 4th. So we will be available for the three days, 5-7th.

Let us know where we are going to play. We're up for anywhere.

Shaz

Golfnut
29th November 2008, 01:08 PM
Where about will you be staying?

shazza_rs
29th November 2008, 01:21 PM
we haven't booked anything yet... probably around burswood.

adlo
29th November 2008, 05:03 PM
Hey guys,

We're looking like being there from Friday 5th. Probably flying over on the Thursday 4th. So we will be available for the three days, 5-7th.

Let us know where we are going to play. We're up for anywhere.

Shaz
Shaz,

Johnny will be playing Kennedy Bay Sat 6th I believe. I was going to be playing elsewhere, but might try and move things around.

Early Sunday might be an option for me, but see what Johnny comes back with.

adlo
29th November 2008, 09:14 PM
Shaz & Pete,

I live very close to the Burswood area. If you end up staying around there and need any local info like where to eat etc. let me know.

Johnny Canuck
29th November 2008, 11:32 PM
How is Saturday in the comp at Kennedy Bay for you guys?

I have a golf day on Friday and Sunday is a write off.

Whst time is good?

shazza_rs
30th November 2008, 02:31 PM
JC,

Sat comp sounds good. Any time suits us.

Adlo,

If you can't make saturday we are more than happy to play somewhere else with you on sunday. We're hoping to play both days anyway.

adlo
30th November 2008, 03:26 PM
Where do you want to play? Have you played anywhere over here before?

adlo
30th November 2008, 07:23 PM
Friday morning might be better for me, let me know your thoughts. Will also be a lot quieter in the course.

And I am keen on trying to make Kennedy Bay Saturday too.

peter_rs
1st December 2008, 09:50 AM
Shazza has not be to Perth besides the airport

I have played
Burswood
Collier Park
Kennedy Bay

I'm open to idea's.

I'm interested in maybe the cut to get a first hand look at nudgee's new designer.

Any recommendations?

I will let you know when flights and ACC are booked today.

adlo
1st December 2008, 10:15 AM
OK no worries. Burswood and Collier Park are pretty rubbish.

The Cut is a little overrated, but worth a look. Amazing setting and the holes than run down the coast are pretty memorable.

Let us know your plans when you have made them.

Bruce Dickinson
1st December 2008, 04:17 PM
OK no worries. Burswood and Collier Park are pretty rubbish.

The Cut is a little overrated, but worth a look. Amazing setting and the holes than run down the coast are pretty memorable.

Let us know your plans when you have made them.

Geez your a tough man to please :)

Johnny Canuck
1st December 2008, 05:24 PM
Geez your a tough man to please :)

Agree 100 percent... they are pretty rubbish. I also think that The Cut is the world's most overrated course.

I think what Adlo is trying to say is that if Pete and Shazz come all the way here, there are better options that Collier and Burswood.

Bruce Dickinson
1st December 2008, 06:38 PM
Agree 100 percent... they are pretty rubbish. I also think that The Cut is the world's most overrated course.

I think what Adlo is trying to say is that if Pete and Shazz come all the way here, there are better options that Collier and Burswood.
Don't disagree that if your coming from interstate they wouldnt be top 3 on the list.

However as affordable public golfing venues that are well presented they do exactly what they should.

peter_rs
1st December 2008, 07:28 PM
Johnny

I didn't say they were on the list to play, just courses I have played.

Flights booked
Fly in 4/12 about about 12.
Shazza flys out 9am 8/12
I flys out 9am 12/12

Friday-> Corporate Day
Johnny Canuck
Peter_rs
Shazza_rs

Saturday-> Kennedy Bay
Johnny Canuck
adlo
Peter_rs
Shazza_rs

Sunday?
What is the recommendation?

adlo
1st December 2008, 08:10 PM
One of my favourite courses is a 9 holer about 90 mins south. Probably too much effort, but worth a mention.

Otherwise The Cut is a good option. Of our "top" courses Meadow Springs is in poor condition lately, The Vines is nothing you haven't seen before, Joondalup is the worst value for $ golf in Perth. Secret Harbour is nice, but is Kennedy Bay's poorer cousin so will probably be a disappointment after KB Saturday. Araluen is nice too.

Depends what you are looking for.

adlo
2nd December 2008, 12:39 AM
Shaz and Pete, just ignore us...... :lol:

Now that first impressions are out of the way (and I have made the impression of the most negative golf course rater in WA) let me know your thoughts on the weekend.

I sill need to get the all clear on Sunday from my end, but are you guys keen to play all 3 days?

Johnny Canuck
2nd December 2008, 12:51 AM
u good for around 8 on sat adlo?

adlo
2nd December 2008, 01:01 AM
Yeah, sounds good.

AndyP
2nd December 2008, 09:05 AM
Guys, I moved a lot of the posts to their own thread. Not because of threadjacking, but because it is a discussion worthy of it's own thread (and may be good to look back on later).

It's moved here: http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11653
As a result of the move, there may be a little bit of cross-discussion, but I think I covered most of it with some quotes.

peter_rs
2nd December 2008, 11:12 AM
adlo 3 days in a row is easy for us ;)

Got to love having a chick that plays better golf then you can.

I even got asked if I was taking clubs on the Honey moon. :)

Open to offers for the sunday round.

adlo
2nd December 2008, 11:22 AM
My suggestion would be hitting the road early and going to Binningup. It is 90 mins south of Perth. It is a 9 holer, no facilities, honour box for green fees, but arguably one of the best 9 holes in all of WA. If you want something a bit different, this is it.

adlo
2nd December 2008, 12:07 PM
Go around twice G69! And it is worth it. Especially on Sunday when you will be playing 5 hour+ rounds everywhere else!

Johnny Canuck
2nd December 2008, 12:24 PM
My suggestion would be hitting the road early and going to Binningup. It is 90 mins south of Perth. It is a 9 holer, no facilities, honour box for green fees, but arguably one of the best 9 holes in all of WA. If you want something a bit different, this is it.

One of the best 9 holes in WA? How about Australia.

Worth the trip and plenty of other courses around there if you want to get in 27 on the day.

Johnny Canuck
2nd December 2008, 12:28 PM
adlo 3 days in a row is easy for us ;)

Got to love having a chick that plays better golf then you can.

I even got asked if I was taking clubs on the Honey moon. :)

Open to offers for the sunday round.

Not according to the handicap that she will carry on the tourny day:mrgreen:.

The guy that runs it is the biggest bandit in the world and he cheats. Him playing off of 20 is ridiculous and he is a single marker.

As I told you Pete, he played me off of 25 a month back, so I feel no guilt in playing Shazz a little higher than she should be.

No doubt, our fourth that he throws us will be an anchor (I tried getting Adlo in as well but he said we needed one local) who only plays once a year and we will only use their one required tee shot, that's it.

shazza_rs
2nd December 2008, 12:29 PM
so what handicap do i get then??? ladies go out to 45 you know... :) And i'm a chick so clearly i can't play.... ;)

adlo
2nd December 2008, 03:45 PM
You don't want to look like a total bandit, play off 44 :)

peter_rs
2nd December 2008, 05:23 PM
she can be a bandit of 11 ;)

As for sunday I'm happy to go with the flow. The reviews of the 9 hole course read ok. How long since you have played there?

Johnny Canuck
2nd December 2008, 06:56 PM
Take whatever they put you at Shazz. Maybe 36?

Johnny Canuck
2nd December 2008, 10:02 PM
Hi guys,

ON Sat I had the choice of 7:20 or 8:40. I took 8:40 so I can help the wife with the kids in the morning, but I can do 7:20 if it suits you guys better. Let me know.

shazza_rs
2nd December 2008, 10:05 PM
8:40 is good for us.... gotta keep the missus happy johnny

adlo
2nd December 2008, 10:08 PM
she can be a bandit of 11 ;)

As for sunday I'm happy to go with the flow. The reviews of the 9 hole course read ok. How long since you have played there?
Not that long. I play there semi-regularly. If you judge a course on the golf, you will enjoy it (probably a lot). If you are looking for facilities as well, give it a miss.

EDIT: 8:40 sounds fine Johnny. Looking forward to it.

peter_rs
3rd December 2008, 09:48 AM
We will keep it in mind then and see how the first two days of golf go.

adlo
3rd December 2008, 12:03 PM
Wembley is fun. The Old Course would prob be booked out by now.

adlo
6th December 2008, 06:42 PM
A rough day had by all (apart from Johnny Canuck). The 2-3 club headwind on the back 9 destroyed us. Otherwise, a nice day for golf.

Golfnut
6th December 2008, 08:00 PM
Good to hear guys/gals.....was just about prefect weather for it too (apart from the wind that is....bet it was refreshing though)

adlo
6th December 2008, 08:18 PM
Yeah, it was pretty warm on the course when you didn't catch the breeze. After noon, you couldn't miss the breeze :) Bloody Freo doctor, could have waited another hour or two.

Golfnut
6th December 2008, 09:29 PM
Yeah, good at keeping you cool that's for sure.....played 9 at Freo on Friday arvo and it was at least a 2 clubhead wind in your face and most if not all holes run East West/West East so one minute your smashing down the fairway, the next your fighting a stiff headwind. All good though.

shazza_rs
7th December 2008, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the hitout adlo and johnny. Enjoyed the courses.

Played half decent on the first 8 holes at Kennedy for 18 points. Wiped the 9th after flirting with bunkers for the first 8 holes and missing them i finally landed in one off the tee on the 9th to the sound of cheering from my playing partners. Thanks fellas. :)

Started the back nine without making the long trek to the clubhouse for more drinks afterall the drinks cart was out. Didn't see the friggin thing til the 15th hole..... ****ing parched by then and well and truely over the golf.

Cracked the shites with the place after flogging my golf ball on the par 4s and still being 80m short of the greens and finding out i don't get a shot on the hole. What is with the indexes. The back nine plays dead into the wind and I don't get any shots on 4 of the last 5 holes??? I know that the indexes were re-set after analysing the scores of the members for the last 5 years but there is only male members and one set of indexes.

Out of interest Johnny.... do you remember the indexes before the change?

I was surprised how soft the greens were at Kennedy Bay. I was expecting hard and non receptive shots where i couldn't chip onto all day. I didn't consider using the putter from off the green once like i was expecting to. :) How does that go again adlo?? :)

Oh and just a note...... we cleaned up at the corporate day..... now how to get 2 tv's back to Brisbane from Harvey????? :)

Thanks again Johnny. If you are ever over in Brissy, we'll hook you up for a round or 2.

Cheers

Shaz

Golfnut
7th December 2008, 09:48 PM
So all in all, how was the weekend then? I mean you were playing golf for most of it, must have been alright. That's a dream weekend for me :)

shazza_rs
7th December 2008, 09:49 PM
Happens every weekend so not entirely different to normal except i'm on the other side of the continent. :)

adlo
7th December 2008, 09:51 PM
Played half decent on the first 8 holes at Kennedy for 18 points. Wiped the 9th after flirting with bunkers for the first 8 holes and missing them i finally landed in one off the tee on the 9th to the sound of cheering from my playing partners. Thanks fellas. :) You can't play Kennedy Bay and not experience the joy of the pot bunkers. We didn't want it to begin the demise of your round!

I was surprised how soft the greens were at Kennedy Bay. I was expecting hard and non receptive shots where i couldn't chip onto all day. I didn't consider using the putter from off the green once like i was expecting to. :) How does that go again adlo?? :)

It easy. Short side yourself on the 7th, elevated green, pin cut 3-4m on. Putt up the rise into the green... too short, and watch it roll back past you. Persist with the putter for a second chance, barely make it this time but it just sticks on the fringe. Putt it off the fringe, in the hole for a no-putt/3 putt bogey 5 8)

BTW, glad I let my tiredness get the better of me re: golf today. After a bloody rough week at work I slept till lunchtime today :shock:

Golfnut
7th December 2008, 09:54 PM
Oh to be kidless sometimes!

adlo
7th December 2008, 10:24 PM
Oh, and I almost forgot, Shaz... if you need me to show you how to shank drives all day only to hit every provisional down the guts (and then find the original deep in the crap 8/10 times) let me know. It is a West Australian thing.

Johnny Canuck
8th December 2008, 09:47 AM
No worries for hosting Shaz, it was our pleasure.

For the record, we saw the drinks cart on the 13th tee, so it wasn't too bad. It's to be expected to have a bit of a wait when it goes through the field and then has one stop to load up with supplies. Adlo and I thought you cracking the shites was in response to Pete cracking the shites a hole or two earlier :mrgreen:. The course can do that to you as any of the holes can jump up and bite you.

In regards to the index changes, 14 is a par 3 and didn't move much, if at all.

15 dropped from 3 to 12. It can be a very easy hole without much wind. I normally play it 4 iron, PW or SW without the wind, but it was 3 wood 7 iron on Sat. That being said, it is one of the shorter 4's that you are faced with at only 314m. It can be brutal in a cross breeze, as I proved a few weeks ago jacking 3 approaches in a row into the left bushes.

16 went from 17 to 14, or something of that nature.

17 the par 5 stayed around the same, but can play much longer in the win. It is nearly the shortest par 5 for you on the course, only missing being the shortest by 2 meters.

18 went from 1 to 2, being replaced by nine as the toughest hole on the course.

I can't really see how you could alter the indexing of any of the holes as the wind is always changing there.

Don't bring up putting from off the green with Adlo, it's still a sore spot. He'll learn though. I think he was pulling the handbrake to get his handicap up, he was a little intimidated by the 12 that he was projecting at after his first handicap card.

I tried calling yesterday to see what the story was with the TVs, but could only leave a message. I'll try again today and see if I can get them up to PK at least to make it a lot easier. I'll drop Pete a PM as soon as I hear anything.

JS

[

quote=shazza_rs;270964]Thanks for the hitout adlo and johnny. Enjoyed the courses.

Played half decent on the first 8 holes at Kennedy for 18 points. Wiped the 9th after flirting with bunkers for the first 8 holes and missing them i finally landed in one off the tee on the 9th to the sound of cheering from my playing partners. Thanks fellas. :)

Started the back nine without making the long trek to the clubhouse for more drinks afterall the drinks cart was out. Didn't see the friggin thing til the 15th hole..... ****ing parched by then and well and truely over the golf.

Cracked the shites with the place after flogging my golf ball on the par 4s and still being 80m short of the greens and finding out i don't get a shot on the hole. What is with the indexes. The back nine plays dead into the wind and I don't get any shots on 4 of the last 5 holes??? I know that the indexes were re-set after analysing the scores of the members for the last 5 years but there is only male members and one set of indexes.

Out of interest Johnny.... do you remember the indexes before the change?

Oh and just a note...... we cleaned up at the corporate day..... now how to get 2 tv's back to Brisbane from Harvey????? :)

Thanks again Johnny. If you are ever over in Brissy, we'll hook you up for a round or 2.

Cheers

Shaz[/quote]

peter_rs
8th December 2008, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the games adlo & Johnny. It was nice to meet adlo.

Harvey was a nice country course with soft greens. It turned out to be a good ambrose team. That was the closest I have come to a hole in one.

KB has changed a bit I don't remember the greens being so soft.

Johnny you had a very nice round going until the 3 putt from no where on the last.

Johnny Canuck
8th December 2008, 02:20 PM
That three putt pissed me off a bit. I don't mind 3 putting from 80 odd feet, but when I burn the edge for par 72 and leave it within 3.5 feet, I should make it. I played it straight, hit it like a girl and it broke. No excuses. (Cost me the comp too, lost in a countback).

Still, I'll take 74 off the bat there any day of the week. nicely knocked .8 off the handicap, which is the main thing.

Greens are soft now in an attempt to bring them back to where they need to be. It was closed for over 5 months and has only been open for just over one month now. They can't let them get too hard though, as the course plays very difficult as it is. In order for its survival, it needs to play a little easier for the paying public, but they will be firiming up a fair bit in the coming months, which changes the game dramatically.

Shazza didn't have to worry about putting anything from off the green on the front as shoe was hitting every single green! No chipping or putting needed.

I would hope it was the closest that you have come to a hole in one at Harvey, an closer and it would have been a hole in one. I'll give Tony a call later today and see if he has anyone coming up this way this week. Right now the TV's are sitting in the middle of nowhere!