PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for 09 Champs

sms316
24th November 2008, 08:04 AM
Whilst having a think tank of major proportions in the shower this morning, I came up with the idea of perhaps having a Fines Committee of maybe 3 to fine some "offenses" over the Champs weekend.

Fines could be for anything - eg, club chucking, those who had less than 2 points over 2 days on the 1st hole, crimes against fashion. Basically anything.

General fine for each offense would be a gold coin, with the total of all fines going to an Ozgolf donation for the Treadwell golf day.

Does this have merit?

Jarro
24th November 2008, 08:38 AM
Fines might be a good idea actually.

People who don't drink their quota of drinks on the Saturday night should be fined heavily i believe :p

sms316
24th November 2008, 08:39 AM
Does that include those drinking half nips?

Jarro
24th November 2008, 08:52 AM
absolutely.

And also those people who pike out early and go to bed [-X

BrisVegas
24th November 2008, 09:02 AM
If we play Palm Meadows again, there should be a fines system in place for :

missing the 1st fairway; $2
hitting it into the bamboo; $2
failing to get it over the water on the 1st; $5
completely missing the golf course on the 1st hole; $10

There should be a red metal bucket on the tee box and players must pay their penalty into it ASAP after committing their offence.

Eag's
24th November 2008, 09:36 AM
Yeah, I like the idea's so far and you could also add a big fine for anyone who does not put money on the bar if they win the day?
Or that person could donate a portion of their winnings to the fund?

poidda
24th November 2008, 10:00 AM
Yeah, I like the idea's so far and you could also add a big fine for anyone who does not put money on the bar if they win the day?
Or that person could donate a portion of their winnings to the fund?

Yeah that doesn't need a fine. That's just bad punt etiquette and everyone knows the deal.

We could always make the cup really worth winning. ie, the cup holder gets free drinks whenever there's a certain number of OzGolfers present. We do it with an annual cup "The Muzza Cup" with play for with my mates. If there's 5 of the 8 of us present, the cup holder get free beers. The only rule is, the cup holder can't ask the same person again before eveyone has shouted.

Ned
24th November 2008, 10:26 AM
aaaahhh I know I am slow :smt087

But do we have dates, times, locations etc for 2009 ? :?

sms316
24th November 2008, 10:41 AM

Thanks for the reminder. :idea:

The 3rd group out on Saturday would have been prime candidates for a fine. :smt015

peter_rs
24th November 2008, 12:38 PM

But do we have dates, times, locations etc for 2009 ? :?

TBA

PeteyD
24th November 2008, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the reminder. :idea:

The 3rd group out on Saturday would have been prime candidates for a fine. :smt015

3rd group on Saturday was not slow. We did however tee off about 15 minutes late because the second group took an inordinately long time on the tee, followed by an inordinately long time Steve Irwining in the bamboo, and then, having no one needing to complete the hole rabbited off into the distance.

poidda
24th November 2008, 02:38 PM
3rd group on Saturday was not slow. We did however tee off about 15 minutes late because the second group took an inordinately long time on the tee, followed by an inordinately long time Steve Irwining in the bamboo,

hmmmm, I must have been in a different 2nd group in that case. Considering we finished, checked in, showered, grabbed some beers, and returned to the 18th to watch the 3rd group putt out, I beg to differ. :roll:

and then, having no one needing to complete the hole rabbited off into the distance.

And I did finish out. Even after sculling wedges back and forth across the green a number of times.

PeteyD
24th November 2008, 02:43 PM
our round was 4.25 hours. Dunno how long yours was.

sms316
24th November 2008, 02:44 PM
Must have been 3:55 or so - which it should be playing cart golf.

Perhaps we should have been fined for speeding?

PeteyD
24th November 2008, 02:46 PM
hehe

Friggin bunch of monster hitters.

Jarro
24th November 2008, 02:47 PM
Must have been 3:55 or so - which it should be playing cart golf.

You're kidding right ? :-s

Carting it usually means a longer round.

sms316
24th November 2008, 02:51 PM
You're kidding right ? :-s

Carting it usually means a longer round.
Carting means a longer round when people don't use them properly. If you only have 2 in the cart between the tee and the first ball on the fairway, and then "leapfrog" each other after that (1 plays his shot and then walks, while the other takes the cart to his ball), then it should never take 4 hours plus.

For some reason, people think that if you get a cart you shouldn't walk any more than necessary.

Jarro
24th November 2008, 02:52 PM
Carting means a longer round when people don't use them properly. If you only have 2 in the cart between the tee and the first ball on the fairway, and then "leapfrog" each other after that (1 plays his shot and then walks, while the other takes the cart to his ball), then it should never take 4 hours plus.

For some reason, people think that if you get a cart you shouldn't walk any more than necessary.

Well that's the only reason i ever get in a cart :roll:

sms316
24th November 2008, 02:53 PM
To be fair, your stumpy little legs wouldn't move too quickly.

Jarro
24th November 2008, 02:56 PM
I don't think it's about the length of the leg, but more the load they have to carry ;)

Was anyone really that slow during the Champs ?

Ned
24th November 2008, 02:59 PM
Well that's the only reason i ever get in a cart :roll:

Carts = Esky Carrier - Club Carrier - and when its stinking hot they actually help in generating some breeze.

The only part I hate about walking is lugging the bag, when our qualifying events were "No Carts" I used to have the kids drive my buggy and I would walk, best way to play golf.

As for sharing and walking to shots from cart partners ball, I am all for it, keep up to the group in front, don't hold the groups up behind.

poidda
24th November 2008, 03:11 PM
hehe

Friggin bunch of monster hitters.

Yeah right?!?! I beg to differ. :roll:

Exhibit A (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=cU6abMQFo44)

Bruce
24th November 2008, 03:18 PM
Me, Grunt FG and Cantbuyaputt comfortably held our place in front of them for the day too.
I'm sure they had to wait a couple of times for the guys having a crack at the par 5s in 2 but we were done inside 3:45.

Reenie wanted no ammunition for the guys to claim they were held up by a chick and I play better when I play fast. It was a good group.

AndyP
24th November 2008, 03:46 PM
Me, Grunt FG and NutEdit comfortably held our place in front of them for the day too.A fantastic effort by Nuttedit to keep in front of them considering he was in the last group too. Maybe he was playing holes twice and combined his scores, which lead to his runner-up place. Who's next in line for R/U if he is DQ'd?

Bruce
24th November 2008, 04:32 PM
A fantastic effort by Nuttedit to keep in front of them considering he was in the last group too. Maybe he was playing holes twice and combined his scores, which lead to his runner-up place. Who's next in line for R/U if he is DQ'd?

Whoever it was must have played well and been a top bloke and not stirring up contraversy for his own ends at all.

Eag's
24th November 2008, 05:02 PM
Both groups I played in had no problems with slow play, quality of play is another story :roll:

PeteyD
24th November 2008, 05:27 PM
Yeah right?!?! I beg to differ. :roll:

Exhibit A (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=cU6abMQFo44)

Ok ok, monster hitters + 1

Grunt
28th June 2009, 02:33 PM
So are we going to set up this idea for this years champs? I like it, make the whole weekend more about a social event with a golf game on during the day.

sms316
29th June 2009, 07:38 AM
What can I say Grunt? I'm an ideas man.
:mrgreen:

PeteyD
29th June 2009, 07:58 AM
Swear jar on the first tee. That'll bring in the $$.

virge666
29th June 2009, 09:19 AM
All for it... bring it on.

sms316
29th June 2009, 09:22 AM
$5 fine for engaging in a discussion about swing mechanics?

That should raise some moolah between Virge and Razaar.

Eag's
29th June 2009, 09:25 AM

Throw Jono into the mix and watch that grow rapidly ;)

virge666
29th June 2009, 09:25 AM

Make it a shot of Scotch for each time I mention mechanics.

I way cleverer after a few belts.

sms316
29th June 2009, 09:52 AM
A committee of say, 3?

Nominations?

Bruce
29th June 2009, 10:23 AM
We should have a committee anyway.

PeteyD
G69
FG
Me.

Are my nominations.

just
29th June 2009, 10:49 AM
We should have a committee anyway.

PeteyD
G69
FG
Me.

Are my nominations.
I'm all for the ideas, as long as it doesn't go overboard in terms of cost.

Not that I'm having a go at any of your suggestions, Bruce, since they/you are all worthy, but especially in the case of yourself and Peteyd, you have "positions" (for want of a better word) for the champs, which are already life peerages. I think it would be better to spread it around and let others have a go.

My suggestions for the Star Chamber are as follows:
Poidda
G69
FG
Shazza
Damo
Jarro

sms316
29th June 2009, 10:52 AM
btw - I would be inclined to make each fine a gold coin. Max $10 per person.

just
29th June 2009, 10:55 AM
btw - I would be inclined to make each fine a gold coin. Max $10 per person.
I don't think too many would have an objection to this kind of sum.

Flowergirl
29th June 2009, 11:18 AM
No fines for club chucking. It's what I do best.:mrgreen:

PeteyD
29th June 2009, 05:56 PM
Don't put my name in the list. 69er is going to be schmoozing and won't be there.

Max $10 in fines sounds good, everyone bring $10.

Grunt
29th June 2009, 06:00 PM
How about a $10 entry fee? and forget the fine thing. All monies to the Treadwells.

jaybam
29th June 2009, 06:09 PM
Would love to get a breath test machine and get all you buggers before and after you finish the round. Every .01 you blow over what you started you should get the equivilant shots off :)

henno
29th June 2009, 06:13 PM
Would love to get a breath test machine and get all you buggers before and after you finish the round. Every .01 you blow over what you started you should get the equivilant shots off :)

DC just became unbackable favourite.

Grunt
29th June 2009, 06:56 PM
I like that idea!

jaybam
29th June 2009, 07:11 PM

Ok after more thought to this as a footnote you could blow .9 over what you started and have the option of buying back those nine shots for 1 dollar each obviously capped at 10 dollars. Something silly like that anyway. Just spit balling out loud. We have some officers of the law here that may have an idea where we could get one or two of these. Also a good thing to keep the missus henno busy :)

henno
29th June 2009, 07:47 PM
Also a good thing to keep the missus henno busy :)

I have access to a consumer-grade version already. I am sure it is not accurate to 0.001 but I don't think that's an issue. Also (much like the police versions as well, actually) if you have consumed a drink in the last few minutes it sky-rockets the score, so there may be some issues surrounding accuracy.

shavey
29th June 2009, 08:07 PM
What about a calcutta (which we have discussed before and seems to be in the too hard basket), best eclectic round over two days or best stab score per hole with jackpots?

markTHEblake
29th June 2009, 08:34 PM
and seems to be in the too hard basket

The Ozgolf standard protocol is that everything is in the too hard basket.

However if someone picks up the ball and just runs with it, everyone will join in and it will be great. Most if not all that we have has resulted from exactly that, Golfer69 organising the first champs is the perfect example.