PDA

View Full Version : Ozgolf Odyssey

markTHEblake
29th November 2004, 10:31 PM
Ladies and Gentleman, its time we got serious about our Ozgolfing. Sure the occasional 1 hour drive to an Ozgolf day is terrific, or the secretive little trips to sydney, but how about we organise a real golf trip, like for a week or more.

Surely if we plan a year or so ahead, we can get plenty of us together, should be a riot.

Like, Up the Murray River - you have all seen the adds in the mags, Probably the best value golf in the country.

Masters games in Hobart - for us old fellas.

A crawl up to North Queensland, say Townsville for the NQld Championships.

Alice Springs and Darwin, and take a trip on the Ghan. play in the Arafura games or NT Championships.

a wander down the NSW coast.

Or, dont write this one off, - Asia. take in Bali, Lombok and Jakarta. depending on numbers i can organise free accomadation in Jakarta. Golf is also cheap there now. And why not brunei, dont we know someone there?

Just got to get the season right depending on where we go, and we should plan it around some major amatuer event that we can participate in.

Throw in some ideas, we can put up a Poll, and start planning.
"we're all going on a summer holiday"

davidp
29th November 2004, 11:47 PM
Blakey, that sounds like a great idea.

Bit strapped for cash at the moment. Know any good finance guys?? :lol:

Depending on the timing, I may be able to swing a couple of days. g69, Barnbougle Dunes sounds like an awesome course. I think we could play 72 holes on it without getting bored.

Fishman Dan
29th November 2004, 11:59 PM
....or the secretive little trips to sydney....

Are you serious? You're still cut about this, aren't you.

Sheesh, it's like Eddie McGuire and the salary cap concessions :roll: ;)

Great idea and i think any destination can be easily arranged. I'd personally love to do the Murray region, and possibly a Mornington Peninsula journey, but at the moment a golfing holiday isn't on the cards. I'll have to make do with frequent trips to QLD border country.

By the way - Tweed, Mur'bah, Ocean Shores, Ballina, Lismore, Kyogle. There's a golfing holiday waiting to happen ;) A big loop and just a 2 hour drive home via the Lions Rd?

markTHEblake
30th November 2004, 01:17 AM
Golfer69, ys it would be a boring 3 hour drive, imagine 20 hours in a bus with this lot.

But once you get to the murray, what is it, 30 decent golf courses within 100 clicks.

Barnbougle dunes sounds like 3-4 days trip, hardly more than a weekend. We can do that anytime. But if we do, have to throw in Ratho. your golf clubs wont look out of place there.

I was thinking something more like 14 days.

TS
30th November 2004, 08:30 AM
If I go on a 14 days golf trip, I am afraid the lock on the front door will be changed by the time I come home.

AndyP
30th November 2004, 09:16 AM
You may recall an attempt to organise a Northern NSW golfing long weekend earlier this year. It fell on it's arse, big time, and that was with several months notice.

Can't see a week long or fortnight long :shock: golf trip happening.

If I go on a 14 days golf trip, I am afraid the lock on the front door will be changed by the time I come home.
I'm with TS on this one.

damoocow
30th November 2004, 10:32 AM
I was thinking something more like 14 days

Blakey - between you and Andylo a couple of villages are out looking for their missing idiots.

damoocow[/quote]

Trung
30th November 2004, 10:44 AM
I was thinking something more like 14 days

Blakey - between you and Andylo a couple of villages are out looking for their missing idiots.

damoocow

Ouch :smt064

damoocow
30th November 2004, 10:49 AM
Trungo - my role here is to keep things bubbling along !! -
also having a very slow day at school !!

damoocow

drunken
30th November 2004, 11:00 AM
I was thinking something more like 14 days.

:shock:

I was thinking a long weekend say 3-4 days would be better. I can't many of us getting two weeks off at the same time nor being able allowed by 'others' to spend all of our holidays away on a golf trip....

We could always do a Northern Rivers Trip like we were planning earlier this year. Could involve say Bonville as the destination, play Ocean Shores & Kooralbyn. Playing one on the way down & another on the way back???

markTHEblake
30th November 2004, 11:11 AM
you blokes are weak. If you can get out of the house for 3 days, why not try for 7, the initial begging and the suffering will be the same.

And dont forget, there are plenty of places we can go, and take the missus and kids with us. Kill two birds with one stone.

The other idea failed becuase a date and place wasnt booked. you know the rules.

I am thinking of something bigger, better, than along weekend. We can do those anytime. That is the point!

With a year or so in the planning, there is plenty of time to organise something special.

There are plenty of advertisments in the golf mags, for 7 and 14 day golf trips. They are not going broke becuase married blokes cant go.

Theres a bunch of blokes from up north that have a 2 week Bali golf trip, every year. They are all married

Gary from GCI organises a 2 week phillipines golf tour every year. He doesnt have a rule, that its singles only.

How about coming up with some ideas of a great place to go and how long you would like to go away and we can see what happens from there.

IMHO the murray river in spring sounds like a pretty good idea, and caters for families. So does Nth Qld.

Iain
30th November 2004, 11:35 AM
Gary from GCI organises a 2 week phillipines golf tour every year. He doesnt have a rule, that its singles only.
Some guys for from work go to the Phillipines regularly, but they're not playing golf..... :shock: :shock:

Fishman Dan
30th November 2004, 11:55 AM
Ballina around Xmas / New Years. Great golf, great fishing, great beaches - and you can do it all in 1 day. Horse races too ;). Families catered for, those with kids can send the family off to Shaws Bay for a calm water paddle while we attack the links, or hire one of the paddle boats, and you can return home a happy loving family.

I can provide fishing tackle and MaxFli XS Distance.

Weather still good at Easter too ;)

TS
30th November 2004, 12:53 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble Blakey but I just can't see it happening.
It took 6 months and 300 pages to sort out the one day champs, and we still had punters coming ang going at the death.
Whilst you say these 2 and 3 day weekends can be done easily....we haven't done one yet. :roll:

Call me under the thumb all you like, but when I zip off on a 7 day holiday with the family I'm not likely to get in 3 or 4 games of golf.

I'm still working on a 2 dayer to Tassie, or the North NSW trip.

I went to Tas for a week of golf Oct last year. The courses are not bad, played Royal Hobart, Tasmania & Kingston Beach. But I wouldn't go there again just for golf, there are better golf courses in other part of OZ.

14 days is a long time to spend with a bunch of mad golfers, I think we will all be sick of each other after 1 week. I normally want to go home after a week.

Jarro
30th November 2004, 06:29 PM
We could always do a Northern Rivers Trip like we were planning earlier this year. Could involve say Bonville as the destination, play Ocean Shores & Kooralbyn. Playing one on the way down & another on the way back???

.. this sounds like a great idea to me :)

get busy and sort out all the details drunken .. then let us all know, that's the only way it'll happen :roll:

I'd also like to say that i'm going on a 2 week golfing holiday to the USA sometime in the 2nd half of next year.. so i've gotta be a good boy \:D/

damoocow
30th November 2004, 07:49 PM
jarro wrote

I'd also like to say that i'm going on a 2 week golfing holiday to the USA sometime in the 2nd half of next year.. so i've gotta be a good boy

well done Mr J !

I would also like to add that I have been given the nod to do a trip to the Isle of Man in 2006 to see the TT races - been a dream since I was a youngster - whoo hoo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damoocow

Eag's
30th November 2004, 08:32 PM
A weekend away somewhere sounds good to me :wink: any longer than that would be a logistical nightmare :shock:

drunken
30th November 2004, 08:54 PM
get busy and sort out all the details drunken .. then let us all know, that's the only way it'll happen :roll:

Yep I'll make some calls over the next week or two 8)

markTHEblake
1st December 2004, 02:05 AM
when I zip off on a 7 day holiday with the family I'm not likely to get in 3 or 4 games of golf.

So whats better, a 7 day holiday with some golf, or a 7 day holiday with absolutely no golf and putting up with her wants 100% of the time.

dont forget, if there is other wives around, that will her indoors happy and there is a greater chance of playing more golf.

Jarro
1st December 2004, 06:18 AM

Yep I'll make some calls over the next week or two 8)

.. i was only joking mate :wink: but if you want to find out some details, that'd be great. I'm pretty keen for this one, as staying away more than a couple of days would be too hard for me to swing at the moment :roll:

drunken
1st December 2004, 08:24 AM
Well we have two idea's for trips at the moment. I'll check costs for both & then let everyone know 8)

BrisVegas
1st December 2004, 10:56 AM
No chance for a 7-14 day golfing odyssey. No time, no money, no inclination.

Very keen for a Barnbougle Trip. I've put it in the diary for March 2005. 8)

Eag's
1st December 2004, 11:03 AM
I think most of us can handle a weekend away, but a week or longer is just to long.

drunken
1st December 2004, 11:21 AM
well...andyp & I were throwing around the idea of doing a Newcastle trip.

Cheapo Virgin/Jetstar flights. Lots of good golf courses for good prices, The Vintage, Cypress Lakes, Belmont, Newcastle, Horizons...

damoocow
1st December 2004, 11:27 AM
I would like to propose the prospect of a weekend in Brisbane playing the worst courses imaginable -

36 holes Saturday at Pine Rivers and Samford
36 holes Sunday at Sandgate and RQ

damoocow

AndyP
1st December 2004, 11:32 AM
Good one Drunk....Newcastle and Horizons are two I really want to play.
g69, got any contacts at any of the courses down that way.

Tallwoods and Tuncurry are in that general area also. If it happens, and it probably won't, it would be nice and close for the Sydneysiders too.

Drunken also showed me a link to Pacific Dunes, which is a Troon Course yet to open down there.

Basically plenty of golf courses to pick and choose from.

Easily pick up a $39 special from bris or the Goldie.
Virgin popped out $69 down, $85 return for a couple of random dates that I entered. So even that isn't too bad.

So has this 7-14 day trip idea been officially shot down in flames yet?

BrisVegas
3rd December 2004, 03:08 PM
My Victorian comrades have invited the Qld team down to Tassie for a long weekend in March 19-21, 2005. Barnbougle Dunes is the target.

Hang out for a Jetstar / Virgin special $200 return.

Still waiting for a cheap flight.... $149 each way with both Virgin and Jetstar right now...
:(

markTHEblake
18th October 2005, 11:41 PM
trung, see what i mean.

Trung
19th October 2005, 09:36 AM
Since when are we best mates Blakey? :-k :smt102

jaster
19th October 2005, 10:20 AM
:lol:

markTHEblake
19th October 2005, 05:27 PM
Since when are we best mates Blakey?   :-k  :smt102

ok, normally its only AndlyLo i cant understand but you have got me confused about that one.

Trung
19th October 2005, 05:36 PM
blakey, surely you can do than that... :P