PDA

View Full Version : Is Barnbougle Dunes as good as they say?

Hux
23rd November 2008, 08:56 AM
Folks

Heading to Tas in March next year - golfing in Hobart and then holiday for a week with wife.

Saw someone else playing at BG a couple of weeks later that I would be there and thought I should look at playing there myself whilst wandering around the island afterwards.

Is it as good as they say?

It certainly looks like no other course I have played at.

PeteyD
23rd November 2008, 08:58 AM
I think you will be sorry if you don't go while down there. I am hoping to get there one day.

Hux
23rd November 2008, 09:09 AM
I think you will be sorry if you don't go while down there. I am hoping to get there one day.

Well some time in the week of 7-12 March is when I will be there if you want to get down for the day :mrgreen:

Eag's
23rd November 2008, 09:10 AM
Yes the course is Awesome!! if you are not impressed then I will be very supprised. Spend some time on your bump & run shots because you will be playing a lot of them ;)

BrisVegas
23rd November 2008, 09:44 AM
Yes. It's arguably the best course in Australia.

Webster
23rd November 2008, 10:03 AM
I would have said it is second best Vegas..

BrisVegas
23rd November 2008, 10:12 AM
some people argue about these things like it really matters. I'll defer to them to justify why it's as good as RM, Kingston Heath etc..

BD is just classic golf on a gusty strip of coastline. Doesn't get much better.

AndyP
23rd November 2008, 10:13 AM
Which means, if BrisVegas is 'they', then the answer is no, it is not as good as 'they' say.

WBennett
23rd November 2008, 11:52 AM
If you are in Tassie, just do it. Sacrifice something else. It will be worth it.

Jarro
23rd November 2008, 01:33 PM
It certainly looks like it'd be worth a try.

Everyone that i know that's played there came away very impressed.

sms316
23rd November 2008, 01:36 PM
I would have said it is second best Vegas..
Behind NSWGC.

Webster
23rd November 2008, 03:27 PM
sms316, have you played at Barnbougle?

Moe Norman
23rd November 2008, 04:01 PM
I think its 2nd best, but I'm a little harsh on the Heath because I shot 100+ in my single game there and played like a complete and utter spastic. I only made it to about 10 greens before the ball was in my pocket!

kingslayer33
23rd November 2008, 04:02 PM
Hux,

easily the best course in Tasmania. As someone else said you would be better sacrificing something else just to play it.

I've played some of the top courses in Vic. and also a couple of traditional links in the UK (Royal St George & Royal Portrush) and this is equal of them in every way. (I may be a touch biased though being a Tasmanian ;))

Weather can make it tough though. Just 1 of my 8 rounds has been in somewhat "calmish" conditions. Otherwise it blows its tit$ off.

sms316
23rd November 2008, 05:42 PM
sms316, have you played at Barnbougle?
Yes. What else would you like to know? The weather that day?

Webster
23rd November 2008, 05:52 PM
. What else would you like to know?

Why do you think NSW is better than Barnbougle?

sms316
23rd November 2008, 06:02 PM
Firstly, bear in mind that I have only played BD once, and it was in the non-prevalent breeze. I've played NSW probably 8 times so I have seen it all conditions.

Secondly, if I had to play either of these courses for the rest of my life I would be a happy man.

It is nothing more than a personal feeling that makes me choose NSW over BD, but NSW has more tees where I just stand there and think "oh crap". BD didn't do that for me. NSW to me is more about visual intimidation off the tee, whereas BD was more about enjoying a magnificent piece of land. Of course there are exceptions to that observation (8 at BD played into the wind, which made it a par 5 in reality, with the split level fairway).

Either way you could play either course for a week and never play the same course twice. Barny has the best clubhouse I have ever been in. Drinking a nice pinot on the deck outside, looking out over Bass Straight is an experience which any golfer should enjoy.

I feel horribly intimidated seeing that Jack and Andrew are viewing this topic as I type this - 2 guys who have forgotten more about course architecture than I will ever learn.

sms316
23rd November 2008, 06:08 PM
Forgot to add - I played Royal Hobart on the Wednesday with 3 random members. One had a BD cap and shirt on, so early in the round I asked him if he liked BD. He told me that he indeed did, but then again he should - he was a part owner.

When I told him I was going up there on the Friday on my own, he organised for the pro to take a few hours off and play with me and show me around the place, and showing me parts of the course which I would never have noticed. All for the princely fee of zero. No green fees. No charge for range balls.

The owner didn't need to do any of that, but I certainly appreciated that he did.

kwantfm
23rd November 2008, 06:26 PM
It is nothing more than a personal feeling that makes me choose NSW over BD, but NSW has more tees where I just stand there and think "oh crap". BD didn't do that for me. NSW to me is more about visual intimidation off the tee...

I thought this was an interesting quote from sms. I haven't played BD but have been lucky enough to play NSW over twenty times and I totally agree about the visual intimidation off the tees. Particularly I am thinking of the tee shot that I have found the most scary ever. No, it's not the 6th off the peninsula tee (yes very scary). It's the 15th into the wind. You try to hit an uphill drive over a narrow saddle with all of that nasty bushy stuff both left and right (you know there'll be a penalty if you hit off line). It is absolutely the most intimidating tee shot for me and has always made my heart rate double! Needless to say I hold NSW in very high esteem but would find it hard to rank Metropolitan, Kingston Heath, Royal Canberra and NSW.

Andrew
23rd November 2008, 07:35 PM
It's the 15th into the wind. You try to hit an uphill drive over a narrow saddle with all of that nasty bushy stuff both left and right (you know there'll be a penalty if you hit off line). It is absolutely the most intimidating tee shot for me and has always made my heart rate double! Needless to say I hold NSW in very high esteem but would find it hard to rank Metropolitan, Kingston Heath, Royal Canberra and NSW.

The 15th is considered by many (esp. pros) as the scariest tee shot in Australian golf. I lost yet another ball (one of dozens over the years) on the 15th on Friday. NSW & Kingston Heath are always neck & neck for me at 2nd & 3rd in Australia, but how the hell did Metro & Royal Canberra make that list.

Hux,

Barnbougle Dunes is very much worth a hit. BD is a links course (which NSW is not) so on that level, especially that Australia has hardly any true links courses, it's worth a detour. It's definitely top 5 in Australia & deserves it position in the world top 100.

DavidThompson
23rd November 2008, 09:34 PM
we're heading down to BD for the first time on the 12th Dec and really looking forward to it ... i could be wrong but I think the Beach course at 13th Beach (Barwon Heads) is a great training / warm up course for BD

Hux
23rd November 2008, 10:50 PM
Well it's a done deal. I will see if any of the other guys playing the comp in Hobart is hanging around for a few extra days and make sure that I book a game.

Even wife is interested to take a walk around there after seeing the pics (she can pull the buggy) :mrgreen:

BrisVegas
24th November 2008, 07:47 AM
Even wife is interested to take a walk around there after seeing the pics (she can pull the buggy) :mrgreen:

Make sure you hire the Big Wheel buggy then!

kwantfm
24th November 2008, 10:40 AM
but how the hell did Metro & Royal Canberra make that list.

Ha! Metro has pretty consistently been my favourite course in Australia, although I've heard that course condition recently has deteriorated significantly. I thought that RC was absolutely beautiful. Really did make me think of all the times of watched the US Masters.

Webster
24th November 2008, 11:11 AM
Metro has pretty consistently been my favourite course in Australia, although I've heard that course condition recently has deteriorated significantly.

I played at Metropolitan last week and it is in average condition (especially the greens). But that aside, it is a vastly overrated course with a collection of average to boring, flattish, unmemorable golf holes. I really don't see what the fuss is about.

Webster
19th July 2009, 06:33 PM
Dickie, glad you had a ball as I certainly did. Disagree re the greens, they are superb.

markTHEblake
19th July 2009, 06:37 PM
So I am throwing on my hypocritical hat on when I say the sand was miles too soft and very difficlut to get out of them as it always sat down deep.

dont they have a local rule there that its preferred lie in the bunkers, cos they dont rake them?

Moe Norman
19th July 2009, 06:41 PM
only the 2nd green in unnaturally severe, the rest are rippers.

didn't think it was possible to miss the 10th fairway

grandmasterb
19th July 2009, 06:51 PM
I dont think there will ever be a golfer to leave Boogle not satisfied even with some of the weather conditions it puts forward!!!

On the topic of the bunkers i believe they tested a couple of different sands and found that the one used worked best with the howling winds they get.

I think i'll have to make the drive up there soon to play again.

Bruce
19th July 2009, 07:21 PM
I can see a player trying too direct a route and missing on the inside of 10.

Some of the boys in our group just gave up in a couple of bunkers. On an upslope on one of the deep ones on the right of 12 he walked off to the 13th tee in disgust. It's as much the shifting of sand while you try and make your swing that affects how tough they play.

2 was left centre when we were there so everything fed down to it - didn't really notice anything about it other than the missed birdie putts personally.

Did anyone else notice the bunker at the back of the 10th green? I ended up there 3 out of 3 rounds :(

kingslayer33
19th July 2009, 07:25 PM
I will be back.

Richard,

any news on the Lost Farm course...?

BrisVegas
19th July 2009, 08:38 PM
you missed the 10th fairway??? WTF!!!

kingslayer33
19th July 2009, 09:23 PM
Some grass down already..the rest done later in 09....I think that will maximise the grow in and open middish 2010.

Did you get a look over the new course?

How many of you northerners are going to invade our fair isle when that opens?

Webster
19th July 2009, 09:30 PM
My driving was all over the place at this stage...I actually tried to aim up the right and hit a hook...and lost it right..I had no idea.

thats cause the shaft is too stiff and the grip is too thick (and you couldn't draw anything even if you had a pocket full of pencils )

zigwah
19th July 2009, 10:23 PM
Loved it, best course i have played, spectacular views awsome fairways, bunkers and the greens were great too, slowish but no need to be any faster.

Webster
20th July 2009, 07:42 AM
Might have something to do with this 69'er:

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2009/07/19/85445_tasmania-news.html

just
20th July 2009, 08:03 AM
Classy!

sms316
20th July 2009, 08:24 AM
Might have something to do with this 69'er:

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2009/07/19/85445_tasmania-news.html

It is understood Links Golf Tasmania's other directors are Peter Wood and Hobart property developer Justin Hetrel.

Hetrel is the guy who looked after me in 2005, and sorted out a game for me at Barny. Really nice guy, but a typical real estate type of guy. He's not going to be screwed over.

Hux
20th July 2009, 08:44 PM
As long as their wranglings don't drive the course under I don't care.

Once that 2nd nine opens I am going back for a longish weekend of golf. I really thought it was the most enjoyable overall golf experience ever with the wine, food, accomodation and course with some great weather.
I drool at the prospect of 36 holes of bougleness.

just
22nd July 2009, 04:30 PM
Where's the pics of Jack?

Sydney Hacker
22nd July 2009, 04:51 PM
Where's the pics of Jack?

Isn't the can sitting on the ground in the first pic Jack ?

henno
22nd July 2009, 04:56 PM
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo272/gollfer69/barnbougle/IMGP0197.jpg

How big are the wheels on that buggy?

Are they chromies that keep spinning after you stop? :wink:

Iain
22nd July 2009, 05:05 PM
Nice pose!!

markTHEblake
22nd July 2009, 05:29 PM
Nice pose!!

You call that a pose?

Jarro
22nd July 2009, 05:35 PM
You wouldn't wanna follow-thru wearing those daks Dick :shock:

Eag's
22nd July 2009, 05:36 PM
Hey Rich is that the Par 5 first?

Bruce
22nd July 2009, 05:47 PM
Pic 1 - 2nd shot on 1st hole. (I assume you got here with your first)

Pic 2 - 1st bet on 2nd race.

And the big wheel buggies go alright Henno.

BrisVegas
22nd July 2009, 07:29 PM
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo272/gollfer69/barnbougle/IMGP0197.jpg

How did you manage to make a wipe on the 1st hole from that position???:shock:

henno
22nd July 2009, 07:41 PM
Maybe that was his 5th shot.

Bruce Dickinson
23rd July 2009, 11:26 AM
It was my 2nd shot..first hole..first day...made a nice 6 from there.
The second photo was actually about the 35th bet..the nite was young.

that second photo looks like my young bloke watching the wiggles...in a state of bliss with no idea of the outside world

In the Hole
17th October 2009, 06:09 PM
Folks

Heading to Tas in March next year - golfing in Hobart and then holiday for a week with wife.

Saw someone else playing at BG a couple of weeks later that I would be there and thought I should look at playing there myself whilst wandering around the island afterwards.

Is it as good as they say?

It certainly looks like no other course I have played at.
really popualr with the hawk supporters when they play down in Tas, I understand it is a bueaty, certainly the pics Ive seen are a spectacular...cant wait to get a chance to play

Hux
18th October 2009, 08:22 AM
No idea why anyone needs a hawk support....

Don't look at the pictures - go and play it. It is fantastic. The 2nd course will be open by end of next year which means an Ozgolf trip @ march 2011.