PDA

View Full Version : G'day from Razaar

razaar
22nd November 2008, 08:05 AM
I'm an aging golfer currently at Keperra but have been a member of several clubs throughout Qld. My passions are golf and beer, not necessarily in that order, and since they dovetail it doesn't really matter.
My pet hates are golf committees and high handicappers who make suggestions about my game, the idiot administrators who have raised the handicap level from 27 to 36, and yardmen posing as green superintendants. Apart from those few hangups, the world of golf is a wonderful place.

Scottt
22nd November 2008, 08:21 AM
Welcome Razaar, I can empathise with most of those pet hates :lol:

just
22nd November 2008, 08:45 AM
Razaar
Normally I'm pretty easy going and welcoming but I think this soundly applies to both you and Scottt, althoughScottt removed all doubt long ago:
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
Perhaps you should pick your playing partners a bit better. I've yet to come across too many high handicappers with advise to give on my swing, but I've met many more low handicappers, or blokes who think they are low handicappers, who were willing to freely give their useless advice.
I hear this bullshit constantly and yet have rarely seen it in action. But since you seem to think it sounds good heres another couple for you:
Playing with blades will improve your game.
I only take swing advice from blokes with a lower handicap than me.

I'm sure you can come with a couple of others.

Minor_Threat
22nd November 2008, 09:03 AM
It's probably more a thing of people offering advice when it wasn't asked for! I think its just something that comes with the territory. If it were to happen to me I would usually just tell them that you don't need advice!

I hear you about golf club committee's also, most of the time they are useless and out of touch with the members.. Sometimes I think they are just in it for the prime carparking position!

just
22nd November 2008, 09:12 AM
It's probably more a thing of people offering advice when it wasn't asked for! I think its just something that comes with the territory. If it were to happen to me I would usually just tell them that you don't need advice!

MT

Exactly. Unwanted advice is unwanted advice, no matter what the source.

razaar
22nd November 2008, 09:49 AM
Just
Thanks for your thoughts...but they 'just' are your thoughts.

sms316
22nd November 2008, 10:02 AM
I'm hearing you about the advice bit. I can't understand why people feel the need to give unsolicited advice. If someone wants it, they would generally ask (or get a lesson).

27 to 36 - agreed.

As for Keperra - if it is as bad as you make out, why are you still a member there?

Oh, and a belated welcome.

just
22nd November 2008, 10:14 AM
Just
Thanks for your thoughts...but they 'just' are your thoughts.

Agreed, they are just my thoughts, doesn't mean you are any less a dill for your thoughts.

And while we are at it, whats your problem with 27-36? Would you like to see more clubs go under due to the lack of members or lose condition due to dwindling funds? Or is it slow play? Because if its slow play your efforts are better directed at all level of golfers not just blokes off 27-36.

razaar
22nd November 2008, 11:12 AM
Agreed, they are just my thoughts, doesn't mean you are any less a dill for your thoughts.

And while we are at it, whats your problem with 27-36? Would you like to see more clubs go under due to the lack of members or lose condition due to dwindling funds? Or is it slow play? Because if its slow play your efforts are better directed at all level of golfers not just blokes off 27-36.
Ah.... that's the issue that hit the nerve. Mate, most golfers are fair dinkum about reducing their handicaps but there are those who check out the scoreboards (returned cards) before deciding to hand their card in or not. The majority of these are on very high handicaps and don't want to lose .2 or .3 for every shot under the CCR and not get anything (trophy) for it. A 27 marker gets 2 shots on 9 holes and some of these holes are par 3's (I aced the 17th once and squared the hole ffs). There are heaps more reasons why 27-36 is just plain wrong and unfair to the mid & low markers. The membership argument is groundless its an easy out for the powers that control the game in Australia that they have done their bit to foster the game and increase club membership. Then on the other hand they approve AGU handicaps to social players. Go figure.

razaar
22nd November 2008, 11:41 AM
27 to 36 - agreed.

As for Keperra - if it is as bad as you make out, why are you still a member there?

Oh, and a belated welcome.

Thanks... because I live very close to the course. Keperra is one of the prettiest courses in Brisbane and I love it to death, in fact I wrote the book on it. It just so happens that this year it has been presented badly, which is irrelevant now. Perhaps the recent chain of events has been a blessing in disguise and will unite the membership which may not have happened otherwise. Keperra is similar to Yowani but has much better fairways. Don't cross it off your list without checking it out. It also has lots of low markers and most of the Qld Acushnet team are members as is the Nike distributor (if that means anything).

Ned
22nd November 2008, 11:46 AM
Raz,

Interesting post and comments made.:-k

Ever been a Club Administrator / Committee Person ?

If yes, for what length of time and what positions and was it at a small Club or a Club with a number of paid staff ?

And do you know what the conditions were for Golf Access members being issued and able to use Handicaps ?

And just to clarify, I haven't formed an opinion on your post, offered an opinion on the replies or asking loaded questions.:neutral:

razaar
22nd November 2008, 11:57 AM
Ned
Our course is one click from the railway line (your avatar quote) as is most of the courses built in Brisbane during the depression years. Mate I am going to take just's advice about my personal details.

Ned
22nd November 2008, 12:08 PM
Ned
Our course is one click from the railway line (your avatar quote) as is most of the courses built in Brisbane during the depression years. Mate I am going to take just's advice about my personal details.

Raz,

Yes I've played Keperra. Having played a number of Brisbane Courses regularly, out of most of them I rate Keperra high. Having not played it when you would consider it to be of a better standard, I still enjoyed the game and the challenges it presented. (And they sell Johnnies in Glass UDL's):smt038

As for the personal details, seems strange to post comments and then not elaborate.

But thats your right.:neutral:

damoocow
22nd November 2008, 12:47 PM
Thanks... because I live very close to the course. Keperra is one of the prettiest courses in Brisbane and I love it to death, in fact I wrote the book on it. It just so happens that this year it has been presented badly, which is irrelevant now. Perhaps the recent chain of events has been a blessing in disguise and will unite the membership which may not have happened otherwise. Keperra is similar to Yowani but has much better fairways. Don't cross it off your list without checking it out. It also has lots of low markers and most of the Qld Acushnet team are members as is the Nike distributor (if that means anything).

welcome razaar - Keperra is a great course and I certainly never get tired of playing it...................don't dismiss it just because of some committee probs SMS [are you moving to Qld ?] - come and have a hit before you join anywhere else..........

just
22nd November 2008, 12:50 PM
Ah.... that's the issue that hit the nerve. Mate, most golfers are fair dinkum about reducing their handicaps but there are those who check out the scoreboards (returned cards) before deciding to hand their card in or not. The majority of these are on very high handicaps and don't want to lose .2 or .3 for every shot under the CCR and not get anything (trophy) for it. A 27 marker gets 2 shots on 9 holes and some of these holes are par 3's (I aced the 17th once and squared the hole ffs). There are heaps more reasons why 27-36 is just plain wrong and unfair to the mid & low markers. The membership argument is groundless its an easy out for the powers that control the game in Australia that they have done their bit to foster the game and increase club membership. Then on the other hand they approve AGU handicaps to social players. Go figure.

No, thats not the issue that hit the nerve, it's just the general thoughtless nature of your initial post, and nothing you've written in the above post changes my impression that you are not one of natures thinkers. For example not only do you slander high handicappers in your initial post, you follow it up in this one by claiming that the majority of cheats in golf are on high handicaps. Where's your evidence for this? There are burglars at every level and nothing I have ever seen has pointed to the fact that cheating is any more prevalent at one handicap level than another. Unfair to low and mid markers? How so? I look at the results at my club and it doesn't seem as if high markers win too many comps there, besides which there are generally graded comps and low markers have the gross prize to go for, which is out of the reach of high markers.
I don't particularly care about the 27-36 thing for men, but if you object at least come up with something that has a basis in reality and contains a modicum of logic.

razaar
22nd November 2008, 01:29 PM
Just , that sounds like my wife when she doesn't agree with me ...the emphasis is on "you" or "your", usually a few of these in each sentence. Cheers Mate

markTHEblake
22nd November 2008, 01:38 PM
if a 36 handicap keeps one golfer paying his membership its worth the change. I dont have a problem with it, everywhere I play has grades, so they simply dont compete with me, and bigger clubs have them in D grade.

The only persons that should be miffed is a solid 26 handicapper, and I dont think such a golfer exists......

AndyP
22nd November 2008, 01:41 PM
Worst welcome thread ever.

razaar
22nd November 2008, 02:36 PM
Yep Andy have to agree, its the worst one I've seen; guess that's what happens when senile ol' farts get access to a computer. :mrgreen:

Ned
22nd November 2008, 05:06 PM
Yep Andy have to agree, its the worst one I've seen; guess that's what happens when senile ol' farts get access to a computer. :mrgreen:

Sounds like a Candidate for a Club Committee or Administrator:roll:

BrisVegas
22nd November 2008, 09:24 PM
welcome razaar.

CanuckDownUnder
23rd November 2008, 06:33 AM
Hello Razaar

Scottt
23rd November 2008, 07:13 AM
Razaar
Normally I'm pretty easy going and welcoming but I think this soundly applies to both you and Scottt, althoughScottt removed all doubt long ago:
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt".

I'd say his high handicapper comment ruffled the feathers...

razaar
23rd November 2008, 07:54 AM
Raz,

And do you know what the conditions were for Golf Access members being issued and able to use Handicaps ?

And just to clarify, I haven't formed an opinion on your post, offered an opinion on the replies or asking loaded questions.:neutral:
http://www.theyearingolf.com/2008/10/27/official-handicaps-for-social-players/
Ned, not sure if this is what you are referring to...

Minor_Threat
23rd November 2008, 08:06 AM
I have never heard of that system and from what I am reading about it, I don't like the sounds of it..

Who is policing this thing?

razaar
23rd November 2008, 08:12 AM
I have never heard of that system and from what I am reading about it, I don't like the sounds of it..

Who is policing this thing?
Excellent question...who polices GolfLink apart from individual golf clubs?

Ned
23rd November 2008, 08:38 AM

Raz,

Kevin Tangey from Golf Australia was the Project Officer for this program.

From memory when Golf Access came out, whilst a handicap was issued through Golflink, if you were a GA Member, you had to make the Club you were wanting to play comp at aware of your status and then it was their call as to whether you were allowed to participate in that specific Clubs comp.

Part of the reason for this type of program was to entice fringe golfers the opportunity to experience the benefits of being in a "Club" and then that would lead them to actually join a Club.

Paradise Palms in FNQ like a number of other Resort Course have a similar membership by where you join fro $160, you get a free game, shirt and an official handicap as an affiliated golfer. You get a reduced rate of play (Something like $120 at the top down to $50 + comp fee) to play there.

Kevin's email address is kevint@golfaustralia.org.au and his direct line is 03 9626 5028. He is an approachable person and will talk with you.

Drop him an email, I am sure he will be able to clarify your questions.

As for Golflink, "Golflink" is owned by a separate entity with no ties to Golf Australia, it runs the program that was set up based upon the parameters of the Golf Australia Handicapping System.

The system is not infallible and errors have been made, but it is simply a data input program that then using the formula's prescribed under the Golf Australia handicapping calculate a players handicap. It also made information more readily available and offered Clubs to opportunity to have a uniformed handicapping and competition system.

Geezuz I am stuffed typing and thinking about this again :smt015

just
23rd November 2008, 08:49 AM
I'd say his high handicapper comment ruffled the feathers...

That's correct Scottt, because I measure my manhood by the size of my handicap, the lower the handicap the greater the size of my prick, so criticicm of my high handicap is criticism of my manhood.:roll:

If you would bother to read my posts, which you obviously didn't, you would know that it wasn't the disparaging remarks about high handicaps per se, but the unfounded nature of them, and the fact that on golf forums it seems to be a badge of "coolness" to slag off high handicaps.

razaar
23rd November 2008, 08:51 AM
You have done well. I seem to recall that this issue was sent to the State golfing bodies in 2006 for their endorsement. I am not sure if the Queensland Golf Union saw any benefit in introducing it to Queensland clubs based on feedback received. Do you know if it applies in Queensland?

I might be wrong here but it seems more of a coincidence that the increase in men's handicaps followed on the heels of Golf Access as a consequence of its rejection by some States.

Ned
23rd November 2008, 08:55 AM
You have done well. I seem to recall that this issue was sent to the State golfing bodies in 2006 for their endorsement. I am not sure if the Queensland Golf Union saw any benefit in introducing it to Queensland clubs based on feedback received. Do you know if it applies in Queensland?

From memory it was endorsed but this whole program actually came out earlier then that. (I think around 2004 / 2003)

QGU (which is now GQ - Golf Qld) supported the program but I don't believe there has been a high take up rate in this State.

One of the main reasons it is big in Vic and NSW is that hey have a large amount of Public or Municipal Golf Courses that are not private or members based.

PeteyD
23rd November 2008, 08:56 AM
Don't feed the resident trolll Just ;)

oncewasagolfer
23rd November 2008, 10:25 AM
welcome razaar. doesnt hurt to have differing points of view in life spices things up:)

virge666
24th November 2008, 05:13 PM
I quite liked it - it had everything, tantrums, anger and just a little bit of love to bring you back.

27-36 markers - go and play with the cadets . . . don't need ya and dont want you in my Saturday comp.

:)

PeteyD
24th November 2008, 05:36 PM
Spoken like a true A Grader ;)

virge666
25th November 2008, 12:09 AM
Spoken like a true A Grader ;)

Yep.

If you want to play in a comp on Saturday . . . learn to play the game, or play with the cadets at the end of the field.

We have 10 year olds who can play in B grade, the only thing stopping anyone playing is a bit of bloody effort. I do not believe anyone should have to watch some idiot off 30 who has no respect for the game hack up the golf course. FFS, we have a 70 year old with Parkinson's who has 3-4 air swingsa round and still plays off 24.

If you don't want to learn how to play the game . . . play on Sunday.

Easy.

Scottt
25th November 2008, 03:40 AM
No other sport I know of makes people of such differing ability play together.

I don't question people of high handicaps playing golf. One of the great things about the game is that you can have events like the OzGolf champs.

But that doesn't mean I have to like playing with high-handicappers.

I don't begrudge them their place in the field, but I prefer to play with players who are better than I am. That's one of the reasons I enjoy my games with Matt and Virge so much, I find I get the best out of myself trying to match them shot to shot.

It's easy to say low markers (and I don't personally think 9 really counts, I hit my fair share of stinkers) are dismissive of high-handicappers, but I think there is also an element of those in high B and C grade suffering from a golfing form of little man's syndrome.

razaar
25th November 2008, 05:35 AM
I hear you about golf club committee's also, most of the time they are useless and out of touch with the members.. Sometimes I think they are just in it for the prime carparking position!
M_T
In my experience Committees are a collaboration and a corroberation of egos competing against each other for some form of recognition within the club.

Ned
25th November 2008, 06:02 AM
Raz,

Ever been a Club Administrator / Committee Person ?

If yes, for what length of time and what positions and was it at a small Club or a Club with a number of paid staff ?

Raz,

Given your response to M_T, maybe you might like to revisit my questions that you declined to answer.

The ones I have bolded red above.

razaar
25th November 2008, 06:51 AM
Ned
You are persistent; after reading 75 years of minutes in researching a particular club's history and interviewing members who served on past Committees, I came away with the view that there has to be a better way. My answer to your original question is still the same.

sms316
25th November 2008, 07:20 AM
We have 10 year olds who can play in B grade, the only thing stopping anyone playing is a bit of bloody effort.

About 15 years ago (and I only remember this because it provoked heated discussion at work at the time), the Australian PGA did some kind of member survey. One of the questions was "do you think any able, bodied person can become a scratch marker?".

I held the opinion of "yes" and another guy I worked with said "no", which was in keeping with the survey result of 50% yes/no.

Personally I think talent and athletisism have very little to do with it (and I am a perfect example of this). I think that with good tuition and hard work anyone can do it. But having said that, things conspire to make it impossible (lack of desire to do the work, employment, family time requirements ect).

Ned
25th November 2008, 07:23 AM
Ned
You are persistent; after reading 75 years of minutes in researching a particular club's history and interviewing members who served on past Committees, I came away with the view that there has to be a better way. My answer to your original question is still the same.

Raz,

Nothing to do with persistence, you made the original posts and ensuing comments, to then say that you would take the advice of a reply and say no more.

Now you come out with further comments and in all your post is based upon the research and discussions from only one Club.

I respect your right to an opinion and to reserve your thoughts, but at least be consistent as whether you are or aren't going to divulge.

Also give consideration to the fact that the thought process you have is actually aiding to the issues that you obviously hate, IE who and what makes up Club Committees.

My Clubs AGM is this Sunday, there are no nominations for ANY positions, for among other things the white anting and ego agenda's of some members.

razaar
25th November 2008, 07:55 AM
Ned
Interesting your club has no nominations for the 2009 Committee, are you a member or employee?

Ned
25th November 2008, 08:01 AM
Ned
Interesting your club has no nominations for the 2009 Committee, are you a member or employee?

Member,

We have at best 167 members (Males) and I think about 30 females.

kev
25th November 2008, 08:35 AM
<snip>
I don't begrudge them their place in the field, but I prefer to play with players who are better than I am. That's one of the reasons I enjoy my games with Matt and Virge so much, I find I get the best out of myself trying to match them shot to shot.
<snip>

So why can't a high handicapper play with you to try and get the best out of themselves?

Scottt
25th November 2008, 08:53 AM
They can. I just won't necessarily enjoy it as much as if I was playing with lower markers.

Don't get me wrong, I generally ring up for a comp spot late in the week and get whoever I get, and I don't get shitty if it's three choppers, I just find I enjoy the golf more if it's three A-graders. If it's three choppers I still play as best I can, and often find the walk and chat becomes my focus by about the 8th.

I just think saying I'd prefer to play with low markers shouldn't be that sensational, we all have golf-related preferences.

sms316
25th November 2008, 08:56 AM
It's just different playing with 3 other low markers. Not better. Not worse. Just different.

Sometimes I feel like playing in a more serious manner. Sometimes I prefer the social side.

There is no right or wrong answer here.

Johnny Canuck
25th November 2008, 09:15 AM
M_T
In my experience Committees are a collaboration and a corroberation of egos competing against each other for some form of recognition within the club.

Very big generalization here.

I am on the committee at my club and it has absolutely nothing to do with my ego and I can safely say that it is true for the other members of our committee. I am sure that this is not true in many cases, but I don't think it is fair to make sure a bold statement.

We are a young club and the reason that we accepted the nominations is that we felt that we could affect the club in a positive manner, and I think that we have. We do not have reserved parking spots, or any of the bells and whistles that go with some positions. We are simply members that care about the future of our club, plain and simple.

As for the high handicapper debate... How can you tell a full fee paying member that they cannot play at a certain time due to their lack of skill, especially in a Saturday comp?

They have as much right to be there as anyone else, but I too can get frustrated with the results.

A few weeks back I wanted to play as quick a comp 18 as possible so I signed up late in the week, by myself, hoping that one other person would join me. I ended up getting paired with a 20, 25 and 12 handicapper (who admittedly has no business being off of twelve).

The end result? I finished second in the comp, which was great. The negative? Having to endure approximately 25 to 30 provisionals and seeing the rest of the fourball come in with -11, -12 and -12. The guy who's card I was marking had one half on the front, which was a double bogey on a par 3. He had a gross score of 5 for 9 holes.

5 and a half hours later I handed in my card and headed home to a pissed off wife.

While you can say they shouldn't have been there, they all had a great time, which is the main point of golf, is it not?

virge666
25th November 2008, 09:53 AM
So why can't a high handicapper play with you to try and get the best out of themselves?

Come on down . . . but be off 27 or better. if you cannot play of better than 27 - then get off your arse and learn to play the game.

The high handicap is not the issue - it is the cutoff. If you cannot play of 27 - you don't understand the game - you have to at least put some work in get a gig on the main comp of the week.

It is not a high handicapping issue - I am not attacking C graders. It is about respect for the game and the people you are with.

As for the high handicapper debate... How can you tell a full fee paying member that they cannot play at a certain time due to their lack of skill, especially in a Saturday comp?

Your kidding . . . right. We have courses in Sydney where the cut off is 18 for Saturday. We have courses where you can pay your fees for two years and NEVER play a Saturday unless you are invited by a long standing member. Check out the membership procedure at Pymble as an example.

Sure - don't join those courses... fine... with you there, but Saturday is the Main and Busiest comp of the week - and having guys shooting 110-120+ teeing off at 9-10am just kills the entire comp day.

Is it really that much to ask for a memeber who is spending $2-3K a year on a golf membership to front up a couple of hundred to actually learn how to play ?

You know I'm right . . . don't fight it . . . ;)

Anyway - Is Kennedy Bay back yet ?

BrisVegas
25th November 2008, 09:59 AM
5 and a half hours later I handed in my card and headed home to a pissed off wife.

That's the thing that gives me the shits. My long suffering wife knows that golf takes 4 hours to 4 1/2 tops. It doesn't matter to her that it's not my fault when I get caught up with a 5+ hour group, it just means an extra hour that she's at home alone with the kids.

It's not exclusively a high-handicap problem, but at my course it's the high handicappers that play the slowest, by a noticeable amount.

sms316
25th November 2008, 10:01 AM
Fast forward to the year 2020. Due to dwindling interest in the game of golf, GA implement a new maximum hadicap for men of 45.

I seriously doubt (hope) it will happen, but it begs the question - where does this end?

Golf Australia, and also the PGA have sat on their collective arses since Greg Norman gave the game a massive boom. Now, due to their lack of foresight, GA have decided that lifting the maximum hadicap will magically bring forward a bunch of newbies to golf, despite the fact that those people should in reality be embarrassed at playing off "a woman's handicap".

The PGA have nobody else to blame for the Australian Tour dying it's own natural death, but that is another topic for another time. What it has done, which is very much relative to this topic though, is more or less take golf away from FTA TV, and as such, away from non (and potential) golfers.

Johnny Canuck
25th November 2008, 11:20 AM
Your kidding . . . right. We have courses in Sydney where the cut off is 18 for Saturday. We have courses where you can pay your fees for two years and NEVER play a Saturday unless you are invited by a long standing member. Check out the membership procedure at Pymble as an example.

Sure - don't join those courses... fine... with you there, but Saturday is the Main and Busiest comp of the week - and having guys shooting 110-120+ teeing off at 9-10am just kills the entire comp day.

Is it really that much to ask for a memeber who is spending $2-3K a year on a golf membership to front up a couple of hundred to actually learn how to play ?

You know I'm right . . . don't fight it . . . ;)

Anyway - Is Kennedy Bay back yet ?

I have never been faced with the Sydney example, point taken. At Kennedy, we never have the issue of a full comp.

If it does come to it, our course would be terrible for this sort of thing. If you hit it into the rough, you get punished and high handicappers get crucified. It got to the point one round, after waving through three groups in two holes, that I told my group that I was done with looking for balls for the day and I wouldn't venture off a fairway to look for my own either. (I said it in a nice manner, as I was mates with the 3 guys).

The Bay is back and in great shape! Mirvac, who is funding the show, has a vision that all golf courses should be green, regardless of the fact that it is a links course. Let me tell you, she's green alright!

The only complaint that I could have is that the greens are a tad inconsistent, which should be expected, seeing as how it was closed for 5 months.

We'll get Peter RS and maybe Shazza out for a hit soon.

That's the thing that gives me the shits. My long suffering wife knows that golf takes 4 hours to 4 1/2 tops. It doesn't matter to her that it's not my fault when I get caught up with a 5+ hour group, it just means an extra hour that she's at home alone with the kids.

It's not exclusively a high-handicap problem, but at my course it's the high handicappers that play the slowest, by a noticeable amount.

Exactly. My wife is at home with our one year old twins and would like a break after taking care of them all week. She is understanding in that she realises that it isn't my fault, but at the same time, it's another hour for her.

It doesn't matter what you try and do to hurry the game, if someone wants to take their 5 to look for a ball, they're going to. When it happens 20 times in a round, I start to lose it. At least now that the snakes are out, I can just say "too many snakes" hit another!

Johnny Canuck
25th November 2008, 11:21 AM
Ned

Was there a logical reason behind this, or are you in need of a second hobby?

I could think of better ways to spend my spare time.

Minor_Threat
25th November 2008, 12:38 PM
I have honestly never had a problem with high handicap players providing they follow the rules and etiquette of the game. That is an area where you have no excuses.

Repair all divots
Be ready to hit when its your turn
Shut the **** up when someone else is hitting
Know where to stand when someone else is hitting
Pick up after you have made a miss (Stableford)
Have a basic knowledge of the rules.

Pretty simple really, if someone makes an effort to do these things I really couldn't care what skill level they are. They have just as much of a right to be there as I do.

3oneday
25th November 2008, 12:42 PM
Repair all divots
Be ready to hit when its your turn
Shut the **** up when someone else is hitting
Know where to stand when someone else is hitting
Pick up after you have made a miss (Stableford)
Have a basic knowledge of the rules.

I played with 3 guys two weeks ago, off 23, 31 and 32.

They never took a divot :), they were rarely ready to hit, they coped with 3 and 4 but skipped 5 and 6 :lol:

Eag's
25th November 2008, 12:43 PM
Spot on Minor_Threat, I think you just listed everything that shits me about golfers in general regardless of skill level.

BrisWesty
25th November 2008, 01:12 PM
That's correct Scottt, because I measure my manhood by the size of my handicap, the lower the handicap the greater the size of my prick, so criticicm of my high handicap is criticism of my manhood.:roll:

If you would bother to read my posts, which you obviously didn't, you would know that it wasn't the disparaging remarks about high handicaps per se, but the unfounded nature of them, and the fact that on golf forums it seems to be a badge of "coolness" to slag off high handicaps.

Are you saying that low handicappers are big pr***s? ;-)

just
25th November 2008, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback. For the record and disclosure, I'm off 24 and generally play to my handicap these days (the last year or so) but I have found out so much more from you folks:
1. I'm a cheat (because the majority of cheats are high handicappers-thanks Razaar)
2. I'm lazy- because if I put a little effort in I could be in B grade, I mean even a 74 year old with Parkinsons can play off 24, right? (Thanks goes out to a few of you for this one)
3. I'm slow (once again thanks goes out to a few of you for this one). Funny that, because from my experience, I could swear that in all the games I've played at Nudgee or Ozgolf games, some of the slowest players were the 5-15 markers who slow down remarkably when they think they are going to get a good score or going to break the ton, so suddenly every putt needs the 360 degree study and every iron shot needs oh-so-long pre-shot routine, whereas the high markers just give up and try to make it back on the next holes.
4. I have small mans syndrome (Thanks to Scottt for this one)

I was so unaware that I ruin so many Ozgolfers rounds, tell you what, if you don't like playing with high handicappers-don't play with me, I won't be offended! I'd rather play with people who enjoy my company and thankfully I'm starting to realise that who I can strike off the list.:roll:

Oh, the wasted years, when I spent 9 months out of every year at sea on deployment when I was in the Navy, when I could have been playing golf, improving my handicap, or now when I spend time with the wife and kids. Curse my laziness and stupidity, when I could have been so much more productive to society, made many more friends, not ruin so many golfers rounds with my lazy, cheating, slow, high handicap ways!:razz::lol:

Jarro
25th November 2008, 08:07 PM
You're always welcome in my group just :)

just
25th November 2008, 08:10 PM
Cheers mate!:D

Dotty
25th November 2008, 08:27 PM
I like playing with higher handicappers provided they are considerate of the 150-200 others wanting to use the course that day. (Ditto for low-markers and mid-markers.) Add these to MT's guidelines ...

7. If your you struggle to break 100, don't book yourself in for the prime spots on a stroke round, esp. club champs.
8. If you have seen the doctor in the past 7 days, don't play golf in the Sat. comp. (Worst was someone coming back from cataract surgery, well before doc's recommended date.)
9. Know which side of the fairway your ball dissappeared and a realistic distance it travelled.
10. If your pre-shot routine is based on a Nick Faldo video, find another sport.

markTHEblake
25th November 2008, 08:41 PM
I'd rather play with people who enjoy my company and thankfully I'm starting to realise that who I can strike off the list.

I have already struck you off my list you bloody hustler.

virge666
25th November 2008, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the feedback. For the record and disclosure, I'm off 24 and generally play to my handicap these days

We are having a go at the new rules of 27-36 handicap for men... your off 24. Exactly what are you whinging about ?

1. I'm a cheat

They can be as they don't know the rules - not because they know they are cheating. Ask anyone who has officiated C grade pennants or the club champs. Generalisation but I can back this up with some great stories.

2. I'm lazy- because if I put a little effort in I could be in B grade, I mean even a 74 year old with Parkinsons can play off 24, right?

Again mis-quoted as we are having a go at the 27+ players. But if you put some effort in - you could be off 23, and then we can orgainise a game with you and my old mate at Bayview. You should beat him though.

3. I'm slow (once again thanks goes out to a few of you for this one).

Once again - you will have 10-15 more shots than an A Grader. More shots = more time. Generalisation - yep, but usually true.

Scott is just trolling - don't feed him when he is in a mood.

I was so unaware that I ruin so many Ozgolfers rounds, tell you what, if you don't like playing with high handicappers-don't play with me,

How about you mix some concrete into whatever you are drinking and harden up. Re-Read the post - the arguement is for the extension of mens handicap to 36 from 27. Read the bit on bold if you get lost on it again.

Now, go put the toys back in the cot, get your husband to comfort you and be happy you are off 24, because if you blow out 4 more shots . . . no-one will want to play with you.

PeteyD
25th November 2008, 09:32 PM
What is the reasoning behind the extension to 36? Is it to try and get more people involved in the sport?

virge666
25th November 2008, 09:42 PM
What is the reasoning behind the extension to 36? Is it to try and get more people involved in the sport?

That is the idea quoted from the Aust PGA - a lot of clubs are hurting.

just
25th November 2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks Virge for your insight into my softness. You just keep proving my point, you fool. You say it about 27-36 and yet provide the example of someone off 20 something who is old and sick and imply that if you can't better that there is something fundamentally useless or lazy about the golfer. Try, just try, to read your own stuff and structure a logical argument.

Read Razaars post, he wasn't saying high handicappers don't know the rules, he accused them/us of deliberately cheating. Get it into your head there are likely almost as many A and B graders who don't know the rules as there are C graders, your prejudices can't let you see that. By the way I'm sure if you were intellectually able you would be able to look up the dictionary and find out that not knowing the rules would not be classified as cheating. It may be a sin of omission, or a lack of thought or complete stupidity, but it isn't cheating. Cheating is knowing the rules and ignoring them or deliberately mis-applying them.

15 extra shots is nothing in the scheme of pre-shot routines and studying the putt in soaking up time.

Keep coming with insults Virge, its the refuge of the intellectually lazy and internet bully who has nothing concrete to back him up.

I don't blame you Virge for missing the point, because you can't seem to follow a logical argument let alone make one, but the point is this, STOP POSTING STUPID GENERALISATIONS BASED ON HANDICAP WITHOUT CONCRETE EVIDENCE, KEEP IT TO YOURSELF. IT IS NOT ABOUT ME BUT ABOUT YOUR BASELESS PREJUDICES, I JUST USED MYSELF AS AN ILLUSTRATION OF HOW STUPID YOU WERE MAKING YOURSELF OUT TO BE.

Clear enough for you.

I don't know how you determined I was soft, and indeed, I may be soft Virge, but I prefer to be soft than stupid.

ps Keep it up, Virge et al, and I'll just keep posting until Andy or goughy shut the thread down.

Ned
25th November 2008, 09:58 PM

PeteyD I don't think it really matters here.

Going by the attitude and ego's of some of the posts they obviously think their shyte don't stink (If you are certain A or B Grader's of course).

Never let the truth or facts get in the road of a good bull shyte and bash session or a chance to make out they are superior.

I would have thought that they ask the question of the right people before making the comments and opinions first. (And has been shown here, not everyone will like what they hear regardless)

Get the correct facts to be able to make an INFORMED opinion or decision, not form an opinion based upon personal egos or arrogance.

Oh and while they are at it, lets just get rid of the people that give them the opportunity to play organised golf, good bad or indifferent, at least the people on Committees are having a go......whats the saying....oh yeah they have put their money where their mouth is and having a go, unlike some who white ant and ego gob off, but still do NOTHING.

But we do live in a democracy and even idiots have rights.:smt098

Just, even when you hit the 28 handicap, mate you can have a spot in my group, for me its about more people playing more golf more often.:smt038

Ned
25th November 2008, 10:04 PM
That is the idea quoted from the Aust PGA - a lot of clubs are hurting.

Actually it came from Golf Australia.

http://admin.golfaustralia.org.au/site/_content/document/00006959-source.pdf

But its ok that you made a mistake, even A Graders make mistakes, or is that referred to as cheating????????

Coffs_Hacker
25th November 2008, 10:11 PM
Once a month I get to play on a thurs with a elderly guy (72) he is off 27, should be higher. He once coached our club pro, he plays as fast as as anyone and shoots a 100. I believe that everyone should be educated in golf you can play comps. People should be taught that you pick up after a wash, or walk to your ball rather than all walking like ants from 1 ball to another. People bitch about people playing slow but i would say that if taught the edicate of play, most higher hadicappers would be quicker than any low marker trying to break par.

PS welcome to the form RAZ

Scottt
26th November 2008, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the feedback. For the record and disclosure, I'm off 24 and generally play to my handicap these days (the last year or so) but I have found out so much more from you folks:
1. I'm a cheat (because the majority of cheats are high handicappers-thanks Razaar)
2. I'm lazy- because if I put a little effort in I could be in B grade, I mean even a 74 year old with Parkinsons can play off 24, right? (Thanks goes out to a few of you for this one)
3. I'm slow (once again thanks goes out to a few of you for this one). Funny that, because from my experience, I could swear that in all the games I've played at Nudgee or Ozgolf games, some of the slowest players were the 5-15 markers who slow down remarkably when they think they are going to get a good score or going to break the ton, so suddenly every putt needs the 360 degree study and every iron shot needs oh-so-long pre-shot routine, whereas the high markers just give up and try to make it back on the next holes.

I was so unaware that I ruin so many Ozgolfers rounds, tell you what, if you don't like playing with high handicappers-don't play with me, I won't be offended! I'd rather play with people who enjoy my company and thankfully I'm starting to realise that who I can strike off the list.:roll:

Oh, the wasted years, when I spent 9 months out of every year at sea on deployment when I was in the Navy, when I could have been playing golf, improving my handicap, or now when I spend time with the wife and kids. Curse my laziness and stupidity, when I could have been so much more productive to society, made many more friends, not ruin so many golfers rounds with my lazy, cheating, slow, high handicap ways!:razz::lol:

I'm glad you understand. can I refer you to MTB's bowls thread?

Scottt
26th November 2008, 01:02 AM
Scott is just trolling - don't feed him when he is in a mood.

Actually I meant what I said. If it's fair for people to think A graders are up themselves about having skills, then I think it's fair to conclude that the same strain of human nature could lead the same sort of people feeling embarrassed about a sizeable handicap.

Anyone who thinks I was trying to suggest A graders had bigger tonks has taken me just a lot too literally.

But my argument remains what it has been all along. It's okay to not want to play with club chuckers. It's okay to not want to play with women. It's okay to not want to play with that old guy who has his bag strapped to a quad bike that he leaves running next to the green while the group is putting. It's okay to have preferences, and for me - purely as a matter of playing my best golf - I don't like to play with choppers.

Is there anything intrinsically wrong with that?

razaar
26th November 2008, 05:30 AM
This is all very entertaining but it is a welcoming thread afterall. My original post was to introduce myself and be upfront about some of my golf hangups. Nothing more , nothing less. They are my hangups, not anybody elses and I shouldn't have to justify them to anybody. Out of 69 posts, seven were a welcome; thank you to those who extended that courtesy. To the other posters I would appreciate if you would use other threads to attack each other.

Ned
26th November 2008, 05:49 AM
This is all very entertaining but it is a welcoming thread afterall. My original post was to introduce myself and be upfront about some of my golf hangups. Nothing more , nothing less. They are my hangups, not anybody elses and I shouldn't have to justify them to anybody. Out of 69 posts, seven were a welcome; thank you to those who extended that courtesy. To the other posters I would appreciate if you would use other threads to attack each other.

Raz,

Nothing to attack, as you conveyed opinion and a belief, others have done the same, just because now you take it as an attack (as other may have about your posts) doesn't mean that you can just drop it because it's now turned around.

If you are prepared to live by the sword then be prepared to die by the sword!!!

If not ring 131114, they care.:mrgreen:

razaar
26th November 2008, 07:36 AM
7 from 71 :roll:

PeteyD
26th November 2008, 07:44 AM
Raz, you have generated spirited discussion and argument. This is one of the points of a forum. Perhaps your welcoming thread is not the ideal location but in the great tradition of the Adams Hybrid sale, threads here have a tendency to go way off topic!

AndyP
26th November 2008, 07:46 AM
How did it go from 7/69 to 6/70?
Not that my first post fit in either of your listed categories.

This thread is a good read, as long as people are playing the ball.

As to the discussion, I can't possibly comment as I've never been unco enough to need two shots on a hole or stupid enough to volunteer for a committee (not a troll comment, honest)

peter_rs
26th November 2008, 08:39 AM
Just you are getting better and trying to improve when you can. keep up the good work.

Welcome Raz.

when I started golf 5 years ago I was of 24 and slided to 27. Now I'm at 15. Yes I prefer playing with better golfers and trying to match them hey in a Pro-Am I was beating a pro of the stick for 8 holes..... then he walked off.

In the last month I have played with two young kids of 36 & 31, and a old guy of 30. Although the golf was not great at that level it never will (but they enjoy the good shots more). However I did enjoy trying to set the standard for the group and have them trying to match me. The walk and conversation was just the same.

I go with the theory no one knows all the rules.... But I have only ever had to DQ A and B graders. C graders DQ them selfs ;)

Johnny Canuck
26th November 2008, 08:40 AM
Seeing as how we're off topic and on to the topic of numbers.

5 for 15. The number of posts by Raazar in this thread that required editing after the initial post.

Johnny Canuck
26th November 2008, 08:43 AM
For the record as well, I did enjoy golfing with you, Just, when you came to Kennedy and you didn't impede the group at all. I hope you were not getting that out of anything that I have posted in this thread.

Scottt
26th November 2008, 08:57 AM
You had a pro walk off, Pete?! That's poor form. What's the story?

Minor_Threat
26th November 2008, 09:05 AM
JI go with the theory no one knows all the rules.... But I have only ever had to DQ A and B graders. C graders DQ them selfs ;)Yes you are right no-one knows all the rules and even the best of them still get caught out.. Its really about learning the basic rules and then adding to your knowledge either through mistakes or other peoples **** ups!

Yes very bad form by the pro walking off in the middle of a round..

peter_rs
26th November 2008, 09:24 AM
Yes you are right no-one knows all the rules and even the best of them still get caught out.. Its really about learning the basic rules and then adding to your knowledge either through mistakes or other peoples **** ups!

Yes very bad form by the pro walking off in the middle of a round..

Like DQ yourself from club champs after 3 rounds only 5 shots of gross because you think you can't borrow balls if you run out,:lol:

The pro had a bad day finding a few OB and Hazards and could not read a putt. After about 6 holes he started talking on his phone then walked of after 8 without saying anything, the other pro in the group wondered where he went. He turned back up after 18 for drinks and tried to give me swing tips and said that he had a business meeting to go to.

sms316
26th November 2008, 09:28 AM
Name him...

peter_rs
26th November 2008, 09:31 AM
Yets go with he lost his invite.... thats enough the other pro made up for it.

Toolish
26th November 2008, 11:27 AM
Back on topic...choppers and playing with them.

There are only 3 people I have ever tried to avoid golfing with, one is a blatant cheat off 9, the 2nd a guy who never shuts up and has no sense of etiquette off 14 and the 3rd didn't understand that his phone ringing 2-3 times per hole was annoying and never apologized once off 25.

I rarely play with golfers off a lower handicap than me, but when I do I enjoy it immensly, but playing with golfers off a higher handicap does not change my enjoyment, it is the other issues of ettiquette and slow play that ruin a round.

The elitest nature of "I don't want to play with choppers" is the last thing golf needs. It turns people off the game instead of welcoming them. I have had 2 people genuinely apologize to me on the first tee because of their handicaps. One guy was taking lessons and working on his game but was so scared of getting in the way he never focussed on his game at all and therefore shot a lot more than he could/should of, why should he apologize to me, there is no need.

If 2 people are members of a club then they have equal standing, the lower marker does not have more right to play.

BrisVegas
26th November 2008, 11:39 AM
well said toolish.

virge666
26th November 2008, 11:50 AM

Sorry mate - my fault.

Welcome... I love your hangups - agree with all of them.

Now where is your WITB thread - we can then argue forged vs cast or Blades vs Cavities.

Just let me get some popcorn.

Eag's
26th November 2008, 11:50 AM
+1 summed up perfectly Toolish

Webster
26th November 2008, 12:10 PM

Just, ignore the dribble from the original poster who is quite obviosuly just here for the sole reason of winding up other Ozgolfers to amuse himself. Pathetic stuff really.

I enjoyed our game at the Ozgolf champs - it was a pleasure to share the cart and your company for a little more than four hours. Happy to play with you anytime.

Cheers, Jack.

virge666
26th November 2008, 12:18 PM
You say it about 27-36 and yet provide the example of someone off 20 something who is old and sick and imply that if you can't better that there is something fundamentally useless or lazy about the golfer.

Not quite - saying that if you cannot beat an sensational old bloke with Parkinson's - then maybe, your just not trying...

Read Razaars post, he wasn't saying high handicappers don't know the rules, he accused them/us of deliberately cheating.

Yeah - fair cop. I was giving him an out.

15 extra shots is nothing in the scheme of pre-shot routines and studying the putt in soaking up time.

Umm . . . No. Really not - really really not.

Let's take a 4 minute putting routine... which is about 5 times longer than anyone I have played with. If you can hit a shot, put your club away, walk to you ball, get another club, get ready and hit another shot, put that club away and walk to your ball in under 4 minutes . . .

Keep coming with insults Virge, its the refuge of the intellectually lazy and internet bully who has nothing concrete to back him up.

Just keeping myself entertained. I enjoy this arguement becasue everyone takes it personally when it has nothing to do with them.

STOP POSTING STUPID GENERALISATIONS BASED ON HANDICAP WITHOUT CONCRETE EVIDENCE,

Love to but you cannot - worked is a pro shop for a few years, marshalled a few comps in my time. Too many different types of people play the game. All I have is what I have seen and generally if you have more shots than someone else you will take more time becaue it is all the time in between hitting the ball that takes the time. The preshot is nothing compared to gettting to your ball and getting ready to hit it.

I am a slow putter and a fast hitter and pitcher. Other people are the opposite, the only real differnce is that I will take on average 21 less shots than you and a lot less time in the rough looking for balls. (unless it is the OzGolf champs ;))

For the record, I play at 11.49 each Saturday at Bayview in Sydney. I play with the same 3 mates off 22, 16 and 14 and I am off 3. I have no problem with that, never had one, but days are never longer when my 22 marker Cliffy is having a bad day...

Now go and get your can of "Man Up" and understand that golf is a sensational sport played by all different types of people, and a bad day on the course is better than a good day at work.

No one is out to stop you playing golf. No one is slagging High Markers... golf takes 4-5 hours to play around nowadays and having 36 markers there on a Saturday comp does not help. This is the issue and anyone who has worked in a Pro shop coping abuse from members for having a 5+ hour round understands.

Enjoy.

sms316
26th November 2008, 12:38 PM
The elitest nature of "I don't want to play with choppers" is the last thing golf needs. It turns people off the game instead of welcoming them. I have had 2 people genuinely apologize to me on the first tee because of their handicaps. One guy was taking lessons and working on his game but was so scared of getting in the way he never focussed on his game at all and therefore shot a lot more than he could/should of, why should he apologize to me, there is no need.
Interesting point Toolish. This is the one main reason I don't go out of my way to play with really high markers - because all of a sudden they are way out of their comfort zone, and the round loses it's enjoyment because of it.

It is nothing personal, but if I'm going to spend 4+ hours on the course, I want to enjoy myself - not act as a therapist/tutor.

PeteyD
26th November 2008, 05:12 PM
Virge, you are slipping, starting to use far too many words again, back to dribblers anonymous for you ... :D

just
26th November 2008, 05:14 PM
For the record as well, I did enjoy golfing with you, Just, when you came to Kennedy and you didn't impede the group at all. I hope you were not getting that out of anything that I have posted in this thread.

Thanks mate, although you may have posted prematurely, because I am heading out to Perth in late January for two weeks and looking for some games!:)

Well said Toolish.

Johnny Canuck
26th November 2008, 09:44 PM
Thanks mate, although you may have posted prematurely, because I am heading out to Perth in late January for two weeks and looking for some games!:)

Well said Toolish.

Shit. I take it all back!

Johnny Canuck
26th November 2008, 09:46 PM
In all seriousness, get in touch with me before you get here and we'll arrange a couple of games. Let me know where else you want to play and I'll see if I can get anything arranged.

adlo
26th November 2008, 10:00 PM
Is there a record for longest Welcome thread ever? Because I could really do with a countdown to lighten the mood around here.

virge666
26th November 2008, 10:10 PM
Virge, you are slipping, starting to use far too many words again, back to dribblers anonymous for you ... :D

Ha !!!

Everytime I shorten it up - people get pissed off. Lower handicaps = longer posts...

3oneday
26th November 2008, 10:45 PM
just here for the sole reason of winding up other Ozgolfers to amuse himself. Pathetic stuff really.
:smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005

Everytime I shorten it up - people get pissed off. Lower handicaps = longer posts...

:)count me in the not pissed off category ;)

:lol:

razaar
27th November 2008, 04:20 AM
The only positive about the 27 -36 issue IMO is it allows the very old golfer (80 +) who wishes to stay competitive some dignity when the net scores flash up on the screen.

cazandpaul
27th November 2008, 05:44 AM
Well said Razaar - the only blokes slipping out past 27 at our club are the really old blokes that generally only play Mon-Fri.

Having said that, the time will come when a geniune duffer comes along and starts off 36.

Paul

PS Welcome

3oneday
27th November 2008, 06:52 AM
Who wants the 100th post in the thread ?

:lol: too late.

Johnny Canuck
27th November 2008, 11:13 AM
6 for 16. 37.5%.

3oneday
27th November 2008, 11:45 AM
6 for 16.

Bangladesh batting first ?

sms316
27th November 2008, 11:51 AM
6 for 16. quote]

[quote=3oneday;268947]Bangladesh batting first ?

:lol::smt038

sms316
15th December 2008, 10:27 AM
... and the fact that on golf forums it seems to be a badge of "coolness" to slag off high handicaps.
Well here is another one for the list.

I was drawn with 3 20-something markers on Saturday (seems it was a weird policy that meant in the Murray DGA champs high markers were drawn with low markers so that they could "learn something".

2 of these dead set spastics would hit it sideways and not watch where their ball went. Neither of them broke 110, so we finished 3 holes behind the group in front.

I have never played with an A/B grade golfer who didn't watch where their ball went. Ever.

Least enjoyable days golf ever. I should have punched them.

curventi
15th December 2008, 11:00 AM
SMS316...we cannot be all as good as you but am I better than you? If i am, i really do not give a shit mate. It is not the best to punch a golfer, try punching a golf shot and your game may improve. I sense anger in you...great to have anger...you must of failed that at school though.

sms316
15th December 2008, 11:03 AM
SMS316...we cannot be all as good as you but am I better than you? If i am, i really do not give a shit mate. It is not the best to punch a golfer, try punching a golf shot and your game may improve. I sense anger in you...great to have anger...you must of failed that at school though.
Obi Wan,

There is a time and a place for playing with ettiquette-challenged C graders. Last weekend wasn't it.

henno
15th December 2008, 11:08 AM
I sense anger in you...

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/4257/yodaul4.jpg

AndyP
15th December 2008, 11:16 AM
I should have punched them.
Go JD!!!

sms316
15th December 2008, 11:18 AM
No JD action. Wasn't full of piss.

I'm sure that curventi has never spent 5 hours with a few people he has felt like throttling...

eddy
26th December 2008, 08:46 AM
Well here is another one for the list.

I was drawn with 3 20-something markers on Saturday (seems it was a weird policy that meant in the Murray DGA champs high markers were drawn with low markers so that they could "learn something".

2 of these dead set spastics would hit it sideways and not watch where their ball went. Neither of them broke 110, so we finished 3 holes behind the group in front.

I have never played with an A/B grade golfer who didn't watch where their ball went. Ever.

Least enjoyable days golf ever. I should have punched them.

That is funny SMS...I go out with a mate of mine every now and then and he hits it sideways, misses it, along the ground, will go through many balls, throws his clubs, abuses himself and it is just a laugh for me and him. An example of this is the other week, I hit off, hit it about 240m down the middle and it took him 5 shots just to reach me. He made 12 on the first hole being a par 5 and his game went to shit even more after that. The thing is, he has the common sense to know that he is a severe chopper but he still enjoys shooting millions even if he gets angry at himself.
So my question to you is? What is a dead set spastic on the golf course? You must of been the low marker in the group with the spastics so it is your fault for being 3 holes behind? My other question is? What is your handicap?
Enjoy the festive season. Eddy

Scottt
26th December 2008, 09:10 AM
I go out with a mate of mine... throws his clubs, abuses himself... but he still enjoys shooting millions

Why does he carry on like a c**t if he's "enjoying himself"?

schanop
26th December 2008, 10:19 AM
sms is a one marker :-)

sms316
26th December 2008, 04:49 PM
So my question to you is? What is a dead set spastic on the golf course? You must of been the low marker in the group with the spastics so it is your fault for being 3 holes behind? My other question is? What is your handicap?
A spastic? Someone who has no idea (don't watch where they hit it, generally don't reach the reds etc).

The low marker being responsible for the pace of play rule is a cop out. I am not responsible for the pace of play of others - the committee is. The low marker rule is just their way of delegating the responsibility so they don't admonish their mates.

I hope I didn't use too many big words for your liking.

razaar
26th December 2008, 05:29 PM
Welcome to OZgolf, Eddy.:lol: Damn just hijacked my own thread.

3oneday
26th December 2008, 07:20 PM
Enjoy the festive season. Eddy

A spastic?
Now, wasn't Eddy that spastic comedian ?

:lol:

dwayne
3rd January 2009, 09:51 PM
Razaar,

I am interested in your thoughts on Keperra. I played there years ago as a junior and still have some friends at the club. You seem a passionate person and a Keperra member so I would be interested to know how the course is after the big storm. My mate was also telling me that there were lots of nominations for committee which is not the norm I would think. Why so many nominations and what are your thoughts on those that got on the committee? Were there many changes?

AndyP
4th January 2009, 06:43 AM
Haven't you been here before? http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?p=266390#post266390

razaar
4th January 2009, 06:57 AM
Dwayne…..Keperra is recovering nicely from its mauling by the freak storm. The grounds staff and volunteers did amazing work getting the course back into play in just a few weeks. There is still a fair amount of repair work yet to be done, which will take time; the grounds staff has their hands full with normal maintenance in the growing season. Most of the bunkers are still in play even though they are mostly clay, which is a real worry because the material is splashed onto the green and invariably contaminates the greens drainage, encouraging blacklayer, algae etc. Not sure why the Greens Superintendent hasn’t taken the problem bunkers out of play, I always thought that one of the roles of that position was to protect the golf course against golfers.

The storm has proven to be a blessing for a few reasons. Firstly it gave the course a spell and a chance to recover from the heavy playing traffic it is continually subjected to in raising income. Secondly it removed a lot of above ground debris and tree coverage which were restricting the sunlight and air flow to several greens and tees. Thirdly it made the course a high priority with the Committee. The latter being the reason why there were abnormally high nominations for Committee, which is a healthy sign from a club perspective.

Keperra is listed within the top 100 public played courses in Australia and the Keperra Bowl is among the top 60 amateur events played in Australia. Here is a bit of trivia, Keperra is the only Queensland golf course played by Jack Nicklaus.

Anybody wishing to read about the history of the club, “75 Golfing Years – A History of Keperra Country Golf Club” by Ray Bennett, can be purchased from the Club.

TheTrueReview
4th January 2009, 07:19 AM
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]... There is still a fair amount of repair work yet to be done, which will take time; the grounds staff has their hands full with normal maintenance in the growing season. Most of the bunkers are still in play even though they are mostly clay, which is a real worry because the material is splashed onto the green and invariably contaminates the greens drainage, encouraging blacklayer, algae etc.

Razaar,

Having never played Keperra, I was looking forward to testing it out soon. Looks like I should wait awhile.

dwayne
4th January 2009, 09:37 AM
what about the committee Razaar? do you think they will do a good job? did many of the old committee get returned any new additions that will be worthwhile?

razaar
4th January 2009, 10:41 AM
With so many nominations for the various positions somebody had to miss out. I think that the members chose well and the club is in good hands. Tell us a bit about yourself Dwayne.

dwayne
4th January 2009, 10:58 AM
played quite a bit at Keperra as a junior, now just play socially mainly at Wynnum and Pacific and get my golf fix on websites etc when the kids are in bed, hope to get back into it one day when they are older and I have more time on my hands

sms316
6th January 2009, 06:42 PM
Horse?

razaar
6th January 2009, 07:02 PM
Can't be anybody I associate with, most of my mates are illiterate and know stuff all about bending putter necks. Seems to be a cheery soul and likeable chap. Freak - what sort of ID is that?

AndyP
6th January 2009, 07:15 PM
Freak's not here, man.

razaar
6th January 2009, 07:19 PM
Not again.

pom
21st February 2009, 09:33 AM
Wow!!! I missed this one . Certainly a little heated discussion at times. Well done Razaar on an original post that was guaranteed to get up peoples noses From an x27 handicapper who spent several years on a Match comittee your comments were completely off line & got exactly the response the asked for Too many members bitch & moan about the comittees but few are prepared to stick their necks out to do these jobs. Bloody good job some do isn,t it!!

oldmannoodles
21st February 2009, 11:06 AM
Just read this thread myself Pom - a bloody good laugh!
Nice intro thread Ray :mrgreen: and love the damascus knife putter in your avatar.

I'm lucky enough to have a copy of Ray's book on Keperra and its a comprehensively researched, well-written and enjoyable piece.

razaar
21st February 2009, 05:36 PM
Yeah Pom and Ben......just like deep sea fishing when the sweetlip are throwing their roe.:lol:

zigwah
21st February 2009, 09:40 PM
Hi mate thanx for the tips

you remind me of my grandfather(thats a good thing)

My golf is like my drinking i have a drink with anyone and play with anyone but meh, each to their own

razaar
7th May 2009, 09:39 AM
ziggy I couldn't let you have the last post on this crazy thread. Now that I have gotten to know most who contributed to the thread I can understand how it all happened. Posts #116 - 122 are a revelation..to me anyway.

This is a very good forum.:smt038

3oneday
7th May 2009, 10:29 AM
Weren't you leaving ?

razaar
7th May 2009, 06:41 PM
Couldn't leave, somebody had to change Ned's ID from his employee number. I'm taking the credit.:shock:

AndyP
7th May 2009, 06:48 PM
Welcome to OZgolf, razaar.

How many welcome posts does that make out of 134?

razaar
7th May 2009, 07:03 PM
Way past that Andy but gee thanx mate. I realise you almost run the show, where do you play?

AndyP
7th May 2009, 07:05 PM
Way past that Andy but gee thanx mate. I realise you almost run the show, where do you play?No specific course. It's usually whenever I feel like having a hit and seeing where the OZgolfers are playing or organising an OZgolf game myself. I'm a Mega Member at Robina Woods, but I was a country member of Nambour GC for over 6 years.

Scottt
7th May 2009, 07:10 PM
I was a country member

Oh, I remember ;)

razaar
7th May 2009, 07:14 PM
No specific course. It's usually whenever I feel like having a hit and seeing where the OZgolfers are playing or organising an OZgolf game myself. I'm a Mega Member at Robina Woods, but I was a country member of Nambour GC for over 6 years.
We will have to have a game one day. Not sure where my golf is heading, after 11 years of retirement I am starting a part time job on Monday and changing clubs later in the year.

AndyP
7th May 2009, 07:22 PM
Oh, I remember ;)
I was about to post that I didn't get your comment, but I thought hard and then thought even harder and it clicked. Amusing!

I'll have to add it to the swear filter now.

We will have to have a game one day. Not sure where my golf is heading, after 11 years of retirement I am starting a part time job on Monday and changing clubs later in the year.They sound like scary changes. It shouldn't be too hard to catch up for a game (as long as it doesn't clash with a running race).