PDA

View Full Version : Week beginning Mon 29th November

Golfgirl
29th November 2004, 07:05 PM
Thought I would kick-start this thread because I got to play today... :D

Had a game at the infamous New South Wales Golf Club.... my word! what a layout! This course is simply fantastic! :D

(Dan, 69, Vegas, Iain - better than St Mick's, and I thought that one was good! :shock: )

I played only my second game in approx. 3 months, and was expecting to be swinging it dreadfully. I got up on the first tee, slammed one down there and parred the first hole... :lol:

There were a few rough patches, but I managed a birdie on the par 3 6th hole (that's the one where the pros tee off from out on a rock in the water.... amazing to stand on that tee and have a look! :shock: )

I was under my handicap for the first 8 holes, but threw a quad in on the 9th courtesy of some poor bunker play.....

After that, I must admit that the weather started to get to me and I was struggling to keep the scores within acceptable limits.... poor Marcel - he ended up pushing my bag, pulling his, while I trailed along in his wake under an umbrella.... :oops:

Anyway, to end a long-winded story - I shot 106 for a nett 80 on a par 75 course.... not too shabby given the long lay-off!!!

(And to think Matt predicted that I wouldn't break 150 and brought me home a dozen golf balls because he was expecting me to lose a few.... I only lost one! :? :roll: )

Oh yeah - and while I was busy fainting in the heat - Marcel shot a tidy 80 off the stick and looked like he didn't break into a sweat..... he can play!!

TS
29th November 2004, 07:23 PM
GG

Nice score on a tough course. Par the 1st & birdes on the 6th is fantastic. I get a 6 on the first everytime I played there, I never miss the fairway bunker on the first.

TonyS

AndyP
29th November 2004, 08:47 PM
Welcome back to the golfing world, GG.

Nice comeback too. :cool:

Golfgirl
30th November 2004, 11:09 AM
I get a 6 on the first everytime I played there, I never miss the fairway bunker on the first.

I can totally understand that Tony - the bunkers there are pretty treacherous - my first ever experience with true links-style stacked sod bunker faces (I think revetted is the term I am after.... :? )

Thanks Andy - nice to be back golfing, I really enjoyed being back on the course - I think the enforced layoff has enhanced my appreciation of the opportunities that I get to play golf. I'm probably going to play Thursday at Eastlakes depending on what the Sydney weather does....

(I ended up with mild heatstroke after yesterday, spent a couple of hours retching while clutching an ice pack and ended up in bed before 9pm.)

Trung
30th November 2004, 11:29 AM
I birdied the 1st at NSW the first time I played there and then back to back birdies at 9 & 10. Was 2 or 3 over after 10 holes and then I gave all my shots back to the course coming back home :oops:

Such a beautiful course :D

Flowergirl
30th November 2004, 02:56 PM
Nice to see you back on the course Golfgirl. Gee it must have been pretty hot out there!!!!!!!!!!!! Good to see the layoff hasn't been too shabby to your game. :P

Well tomorrow is my last chance to get that handicap down to 19. The rest of the year is taken up with fun days etc...........but we're playing par!!!!!!!! Wish me luck!!!!!!!!!All I need to do is to play bogey golf...don't have to be a hero..........

( Dear Golfgods...........I promise that I won't pick on any of the Ozgolf boys anymore( except for Andylo) make rude or smutty comments..or be a smartarse if you just let me break my handicap.........Forever and ever Amen) :wink:

AndyP
30th November 2004, 02:58 PM
Don't put any pressure on yourself, will you FG? :shock:

Good luck.

amanda
30th November 2004, 03:14 PM
Well tomorrow is my last chance to get that handicap down to 19. The rest of the year is taken up with fun days etc...........but we're playing par!!!!!!!! Wish me luck!!!!!!!!!All I need to do is to play bogey golf...don't have to be a hero..........
Par should be easier than stableford - just remember to go for all the 2-pointer putts coz there aren't any 1s!

AndyP
30th November 2004, 03:22 PM
Par should be easier than stableford - just remember to go for all the 2-pointer putts coz there aren't any 1s!
Mandy, are you telling us that you don't "putt to make it"? :shock:

I haven't played a single par comp yet. Have played 4BBB Par once.
Some people don't like it. What do you think?

amanda
30th November 2004, 03:50 PM
Mandy, are you telling us that you don't "putt to make it"? :shock:

I haven't played a single par comp yet. Have played 4BBB Par once.
Some people don't like it. What do you think?

Always putt to make it - but if it's a tricky downhill putt, I'll be a little more aggressive - it doesn't matter if it slides 5m past in a par game.

I prefer Par to Stableford - a little easier to recover from a wipe - you only need what would be a 3-pointer in Par rather than a 4.

Flowergirl
30th November 2004, 04:26 PM
I still prefer stableford. I seem to be more a 2 point, 2 point, player than a wipe, 4 point, 1 point etc. Does that make sense? But yes....you are right about the 2 putt idea.

AndyP...........I thrive on pressure............just love it...........when the going gets tough............all that kinda thing.............just keep repeating this over and over Reenie.........I thrive on pressure...........just love it............... :wink:

TS
30th November 2004, 04:52 PM

It is harder to score from a Par event, you get 1 points from a nett bogey in Stableford, you get nothing from a Par event. Can't get 4 pointers to make up for the wipe either. Par event is better for low handicapper because they are more consistent.

McMw
30th November 2004, 04:56 PM

It is harder to score from a Par event, you get 1 points from a nett bogey in Stableford, you get nothing from a Par event. Can't get 4 pointers to make up for the wipe either. Par event is better for low handicapper because they are more consistent.

I think it might be the other way around....

Most low cappers I know and talk to would hate to birdie an index hole for only a PLUS, when it could be a four pointer...

marcel
30th November 2004, 05:10 PM
Jodie,

as always a pleasure to play golf with you (well both times at least), wouldn't have missed witnessing your bird on 6 for the world.
The extra buggy to push can only have helped my waistline.

jaster
1st December 2004, 04:42 PM
Played 14 holes with goughy hitting off at 5am this morning, It was funny cause I had 6 birdies in that 14 holes, yet was still only even par for the day :roll: went birdie, bogey, bogey, birdie, par, bogey, birdie, birdie, par, birdie, bogey, double bogey, birdie and lastly a par. Easily the most up and down round I've ever had....pity we couldn't have finished the 18 :roll:

AndyP
1st December 2004, 04:44 PM
Played 14 holes with goughy hitting off at 5am this morning,
Welcome back, stranger. 8)

Is that the only round you have to report during your absence? :?
Looks like you might have some back-filling to do. ;)

andylo
1st December 2004, 05:05 PM
jaster,

long time no see... how are things been :)

jaster
1st December 2004, 05:24 PM
Hey guys, nothing really to report.....golf, net, work, exercise, net, family, sleep..repeat cycle 8)

BrisVegas
1st December 2004, 05:31 PM
Played 14 holes with goughy hitting off at 5am this morning, .... went birdie, bogey, bogey, birdie, par, bogey, birdie, birdie, par, birdie, bogey, double bogey, birdie and lastly a par.

Crikey mate! :shock: :lol: That's hilarious. I reckon you were due for a few more birds. You should start tomorrow on the 15th and see what coulda been.

Welcome back. :wink:

McMw
1st December 2004, 05:45 PM
Hey guys, nothing really to report.....golf, net, work, exercise, net, family, sleep..repeat cycle 8)

good to see family got a mention in there... :lol:

yeah....go with Vegas idea...start on the 15th tomorrow...

Keza_G
1st December 2004, 10:02 PM
Played at Windaroo today.....

35putts
10/14 Fairways
10/18 Greens - that's 10 birdie putts.....(see next line for birdie results)
1 birdie & 9 pars
36 Stableford Points
82 off the stick
This score includes 1 lost ball and an 8 on 6th. (stoopid)

Thank you

Cheers

Keza_G

Onewood
1st December 2004, 10:16 PM
Played at Windaroo today.....

35putts
10/14 Fairways
10/18 Greens - that's 10 birdie putts.....(see next line for birdie results)
1 birdie & 9 pars
36 Stableford Points
82 off the stick
This score includes 1 lost ball and an 8 on 6th. (stoopid)

Thank you

Cheers

Keza_G

Good to see you playing to your hanicap 8) see those putting tips I give you at logan are working well :D

Flowergirl
2nd December 2004, 08:45 AM
Well - played my last chance round to break my handicap for the year. Needed to come in 2 under to get down to my goal of handicap of 19. Played nice and steady - nothing brillant - but nothing too stupid. We played par and I finished +2. I was happy with that and thought that would be enough to acheive my goal. But - guess what - the bloddy CCR was - yep +2!!!!. No change. :cry:
I had 44 on the front and 44 on the back.
Might have to find another comp somewhere to give it another crack. It's only the 2nd of Dec - still 29 days to go till the end of the year. :wink:

amanda
2nd December 2004, 08:59 AM
Keza - good going the other day!

FG - damn :? I'm sure there must be 1 more comp floating around somewhere 8)

AndyP
2nd December 2004, 09:02 AM
FG, I'm also trying to get in single comps before the end of the year to try to reduce my handicap.
Don't like my chances. Three of the comps I have lined up so far, are being played from the back markers. :(

At least you reached your goal for the day, it was just a shame that the CCR was the same.

Golfgirl
2nd December 2004, 11:00 AM
Nice to see you back, Jaster.

FG - damn CCR - always happens when you think that you've had a good score and will break your handicap.... :roll:

Flowergirl
2nd December 2004, 11:35 AM
Nice to see you back, Jaster.

FG - damn CCR - always happens when you think that you've had a good score and will break your handicap.... :roll:

Thanks for your sympathy guys.............still on a bit of a downer after thinking I'd done it.
If only I had the time off the play in Mondays comps. They always have a small field so the CCR is always the AWCR........they played par on Monday so my +2 would have got me down to 19.3.......GRRRRRRRRRRR

( but seeing Ive just finished doing flowers for this lovely lady's funeral methinks I should really get a grip and realise that it is only a game of golf ..........hello.....reality check time!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Golfgirl
2nd December 2004, 12:31 PM
( but seeing Ive just finished doing flowers for this lovely lady's funeral methinks I should really get a grip and realise that it is only a game of golf ..........hello.....reality check time!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Ouch!!! Reality check all right... like a sledgehammer.... :shock:

macleod
3rd December 2004, 11:06 AM
Nice single day at Karana Downs, full wang is here: http://ozgolf.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1201&start=15

77 gross, 62 nett, par 66 course so it's roughly an 83/84. note this isn't a w@nk i was just happy to hit some greens finally given shappy game now.

one eagle putt from driving the 17th green, missed putt by 2 inches, 2 birdies.

great fun, cold cheap beer at the turn but the weather is more accomodating today...bugger.

cazandpaul
3rd December 2004, 02:57 PM
31 pts this morning in the wind - not game to add up my putts - OK it was 36 :oops:

markTHEblake
3rd December 2004, 03:18 PM
77 gross, 62 nett, par 66 course so it's roughly an 83/84.

Well done son. I was beginning to think you didnt have it in you!

Flowergirl
3rd December 2004, 04:36 PM
Yes sir.nice shooting there McLeod............. :D Watch out Lonard :wink:

nudgee
3rd December 2004, 07:56 PM
Played Nudgee comp today - partnered a really nice "old" fella for a best ball stroke.

We shot 58 net!!!!! I personally had a 77 - we all always played out as we were miles ahed of the group behind us. We were both on the card 9 times.

Bloody driver misbehaved :roll: but managed to rescue myself out of many holes. I think we may win with that score. Hmmm that would be two comps for two wins - love it!!!

AndyP
3rd December 2004, 08:02 PM
I think we may win with that score. Hmmm that would be two comps for two wins - love it!!!
Jamie, you are on fire!

Not playing any OZgolf comps in the near future are you? 8-[

How was the putter this time?

nudgee
4th December 2004, 06:38 AM
Putter still working a treat and with the greens at Nudgee getting close to pure again the ball is rolling so sweeeeeeeet.

I must buy todays paper to check it out.

Jarro
4th December 2004, 10:01 AM
Played Nudgee comp today - I personally had a 77 !!!

nice shootin' mate ... you really have found another gear lately 8)

.. pity "The Champs" weren't on this weekend :lol:

cazandpaul
4th December 2004, 02:08 PM
Nice golf Nudgee - plenty of wind about I would imagine.

Caz had 41pts today - hope she can carry me around tomorrow as I have a graveyard shift tonight - have the luxury of a cart for my tired old bones.

Onewood
4th December 2004, 07:30 PM
40/38/78...7...71

29 putts
12 fairways
8 GIR
only 1 bird

How is it that I lose a brand new ProV1 :cry: then get an old ball out and it last the whole round :roll:

Keza_G
4th December 2004, 08:05 PM
Saturdays Round, as comparible to Wednesdays round was CRAP....!!

38 putts :evil:
10 Fairways
5 Greens
2 Birdies
1 NTP & Teams event winner....(lucky the other 3 played ok)
Off the stick ...... 96 :cry: :oops: nett 88 :oops:

Ha ha ha .... I love this game.......

Hey really nice to meet up with tezza and wayne. we are playing together on Sat 18th in 4 person Ambrose...... I bags driving the 6th and 14th !! :lol:

after this round I will now be officially off 9 (8.5)....hooray!!!

Cheers

Keza

Speirsy11
4th December 2004, 10:41 PM
Well, I finally was able to play some golf this week, in the form of the Australian University Championships at St. Michaels and The Coast.

Round 1, Tuesday 30/12: St. Mikes. Well, this wasn't a great day. My first round in 2 weeks, and second round in 8 weeks and I had an exam to write immediately after.......I had flashes of brilliance, and flashes of idiocy. Played the front nine in 45, including 4 doubles. Doubled 10, then went on a bit of a tear with 5 straight 3's (Bridie, par, eagle, birdie, par) then a bogey on 16, triple on 17, par on 18......Ouch, 82. But, without the 5 doubles and a triple, I'd have been looking ok I guess.....

Round 2, Wed 1/12: The Coast. Things started like they did on Tuesday, starting bogey, double, triple (on the back nine as I started on 10). Then I got my act together, playing the rest of the nine -2 to turn in 39. Doubled 10 (#1) but eagled the next, and added a couple more birdies coming in to post 35 on my second nine and 74.

Round 3, Thurs 2/12: The Coast. I wanted to cry after this one.....I've never had a ballstriking day like this. I hit every fairway and green on the front, including all 3 par 5s in 2......but had 19 putts for the worst -2 (34) I've ever had (included in the mess was a 3 putt par on #2, a missed 5 footer on 3, 3 putt #4. At least I made eagle on #7, my only 1 putt on the front). Missed a 5 footer for eagle on 11, 5 footer for birdie on 12.....So, -3 after 12 but then made bogey, double, bogey on 13-15 before righting the ship in the STRONG wind to finish 73 (with 38 putts :( )

Played well in the match play on Friday, winning my morning match (-2 through 17 holes) and losing my afternoon match (+4 through 14, just ran out of gas and got smoked 5&4).......but for the third year in a row, we were second behind Griffiths Uni Gold Coast......Oh well.....On a bright note, I was T10 individually.....

Ok, got that off my chest....thanks for listening.....Oh yeah, they really need to find a way to get rid of the wind at those courses if they ever want anyone to shoot some decent scores there, cause it just can't be done in 40km winds :? .....

Speirsy11

McMw
5th December 2004, 02:54 AM
ugh..... :(
a terrible round of ball striking....just plain ol crappola...

had 14 pars, meaning only 4 holes worse than par....
2 doubles, a triple and a bogey...

missed a number of birdie putts... :(

after being 5 over after 4 holes, I was lucky to break 80...could have been so much worse, but 7 GIRS on the back nine...did not make a single bird...frustrating...

damn that 2ball putter... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

AndyP
5th December 2004, 09:53 AM
4/12/04 Windaroo Lakes GC.

104 nett 91
5/14 effective T-shots.
3/18 effective approaches.
37 putts.
6 lost balls adding about 10 shots to the score.

Too many shocking drives, and I was pulling my approaches left.
Not a good start to my end of year assault on my handicap.

Golfgirl
5th December 2004, 10:30 AM
40/38/78...7...71

29 putts
12 fairways
8 GIR
only 1 bird

How is it that I lose a brand new ProV1 :cry: then get an old ball out and it last the whole round :roll:

Nice shooting Kev...

old balls must be more experienced....

Courty
5th December 2004, 11:06 AM
Played in the Masters Medal yesterday. I don't know if other clubs use this same format, but up here the Masters Medal is a all of the Monthly Medals from during the year playing off against each other (there is still a regular field playing for normal prizes). Seeing I won the A-Grade Medal in November, I was in the running. I started OK, had a few too many putts on the front to finish 4 over, then turned it up on the back nine to shoot 1 over for a 77 (nett 69). I didn't hang around for presentations, but I just had a call from a mte to tell me that I Won!!!.

Onewood
5th December 2004, 11:08 AM

Nice shooting Kev...

old balls must be more experienced....

Hahaha thanks mate :D anybody got some old balls they want to swap me for new ones :D

Jarro
5th December 2004, 12:11 PM
Played in the Masters Medal yesterday. I don't know if other clubs use this same format, but up here the Masters Medal is a all of the Monthly Medals from during the year playing off against each other (there is still a regular field playing for normal prizes). Seeing I won the A-Grade Medal in November, I was in the running. I started OK, had a few too many putts on the front to finish 4 over, then turned it up on the back nine to shoot 1 over for a 77 (nett 69). I didn't hang around for presentations, but I just had a call from a mte to tell me that I Won!!!.

well done mate =D>

Onewood
5th December 2004, 12:33 PM

Good time to win a medal in november, then back up for the medal of medals a few weeks later, whilst at the peak of form 8) Well played Courty great result =D>

Was it an honor board event :?:

AndyP
5th December 2004, 01:50 PM
Played in the Masters Medal yesterday...... I Won!!!.
=D>
On fire.
:?: So what's next?

Jarro
5th December 2004, 01:56 PM
=D>
On fire.

Ozgolf POTY for this year i'd reckon :wink:

McMw
5th December 2004, 04:30 PM
played modified ambrose this morning....
had to sit out of a lot of my drives... :(
our group came back in with a 69, with me holing the birdie putt on the last... :D

but not good enuff....

anyway...looking forward to getting back to the club for the lucky draws and the grub... :D

Courty
5th December 2004, 10:25 PM
=D>
On fire.

Q-School :wink: :roll: :P

Ozgolf POTY for this year i'd reckon

I would be absolutely flattered. :shock: 8)

I also played in the "Closing Day" Ambrose today. My group was me (off 8), 2 guys off 10 & 1 off 15. We shot 62 including an eagle & eight birdies for 56 5/8 nett and won the event. 1 large leg of ham each, thank you very much. The prize list keeps growing. :shock:

Btw, check the medals out here (http://www.geocities.com/c0urty/2Medals.html).

Eag's
5th December 2004, 10:50 PM
Well done Courty, you are on fire mate :smt023

Played single stab Sat at Wantima 35pts
Hit the ball quite well all day with the new irons, just had no idea from 50-70 meters out :smt017 I would either blade it over the back or dump it short in a trap :evil:
1 Triple, 4 Doubles, 5 Bogeys and 8 pars for 86
7 Fairways
7 Greens
30 Putts

Fishman Dan
5th December 2004, 10:51 PM
Great stuff (again) Courty! It's all too easy for some! :roll:

I think he could be in contetion for southern-hemisphere player of the year, but you might get pipped by P. Lonard :wink:

Trung
5th December 2004, 10:52 PM
Sat MM 84, net74
Sun 37 points

Courty
5th December 2004, 11:08 PM
Great stuff (again) Courty! It's all too easy for some! :roll:
I think you could be in contention for southern-hemisphere player of the year, but you might get pipped by P. Lonard :wink:

I can take him. :twisted: :P

Flowergirl
6th December 2004, 08:49 AM
Yea..well played Courty. :lol:
Well done to all you others with good rounds...and bad luck to all the others :wink:

Went out and played a quick nine with some mates on Sat aft. I hadn't planned on playing and had settled in with a bottle of champers and watching my man Lonard on the box. Methinks that Reenie, champagne and golf don't mix. I parred the first three holes and then the champers wore off and we won't talk about the rest. Still it was fun. :twisted:

amanda
6th December 2004, 09:47 AM
Excellent stuff Courty!

Brad & I played at Carnarvon with Trung on Sunday (a 7am start - a bit early for me!) - I shot a very average 26 and Brad had 28.

We had the presentation evening the night before - and I finally have a trophy for coming first at something \:D/ (I have a few for coming last :oops:)

Aussielongdriver
6th December 2004, 11:09 AM
Keri,
Nice round on saturday, good to see I'm not the only one chopping it.
38 putts gota be happy with that.
Windaroo will take some getting used to especially the greens

Stephen

Fishman Dan
6th December 2004, 12:18 PM
...and I finally have a trophy for coming first at something...

I bet Brad is proud as punch :wink: :roll:

amanda
6th December 2004, 12:55 PM
I bet Brad is proud as punch :wink: :roll:
Brad went up to the lady who won the matchplay final last week and thanked her for beating me :lol:

At least now, he's got a 3 shot buffer between our handicaps :wink:

mike
7th December 2004, 09:05 PM
Courty, you legend.

It seems the only thing you didn't win this year was the Skytrans. Sorry about that :oops:

We'll have to catch up for a game some time. I'll have to set some hard pins at Mareeba if you play up this way. The course record is 64 and we can't have a Cairns golfer breaking that :wink:

Courty
8th December 2004, 09:01 AM
Courty, you legend.
It seems the only thing you didn't win this year was the Skytrans. Sorry about that :oops:
Nevermind, Mike. It obviously wasn't meant to be. :?

We'll have to catch up for a game some time. I'll have to set some hard pins at Mareeba if you play up this way. The course record is 64 and we can't have a Cairns golfer breaking that :wink:

I don't think there's any danger of me going near that score. :shock:
Btw, was the 64 scored by Johnny Smoljko?

mike
8th December 2004, 02:27 PM
Btw, was the 64 scored by Johnny Smoljko?

Nah, it was Dale Mattson. Young left hander went 8 under a couple of years ago, and as far as I know hardly even plays anymore.

More talent in his little finger than most tour pros have in their whole body IMO.

Club champs 3 or 4 years ago , he ended up at 12 under after 4 rounds. :shock:

Smoljko was 2nd with 8 under.