PDA

View Full Version : Stand Bags

mike
29th November 2004, 05:03 PM
Does anybody here carry their bags ?

I've always used a pull buggy .
I had a round last week with a guy that carried his bag, he had a Wilson stand bag with the dual strap thing ( over both shoulders ). It seemed cumbersome to me until I actually picked his bag up .

Thinking of getting one now .

Should I ?

I carry 13 clubs. Irons have steel shafts. Will it be too heavy ?

Jarro
29th November 2004, 05:16 PM
get one mate .. best thing you'll ever do for your golf :wink:

I've got the Ogio Shock bag (thanks Trung :wink: ) and it's great .. nice and light.. like they should be ... and it keeps all the woods seperate from the irons. I've got 2 woods, 11 irons and a putter and it doesn't feel too heavy at all. Just don't put heaps of things in the bag that you don't really need .. like 2 dozen golf balls :roll: tends to weigh you down a bit.

McMw
29th November 2004, 05:19 PM
getting a stand bag is great for one thing....you don't keep unnecessary gear in the bag... :lol:

I use my stand bag for 9 holes during the week, and go back to my staff bag/pullcart combo for the weekend 18s...

when you're shopping around, pay close attention to the straps...they're the first to go, and usually when you're halfway thru the game no less... :roll:

ben
29th November 2004, 05:50 PM
I used to use one but I've gone back to a buggy. I found with the Dynamic Golds I got too tried by the end of the round. When I had the Rifle Lites in it was OK, but not these days. They actually say you can drop 4-6 shots from using an electric buggy due to the less fatiuge. I'm not about to try that tho :)

McMw
29th November 2004, 05:55 PM
I used to use one but I've gone back to a buggy. I found with the Dynamic Golds I got too tried by the end of the round. When I had the Rifle Lites in it was OK, but not these days. They actually say you can drop 4-6 shots from using an electric buggy due to the less fatiuge. I'm not about to try that tho :)

WOW :shock:
I would love to have that sort of guranttee... :D

AndyP
29th November 2004, 06:09 PM
Does anybody here carry their bags ?

I've always used a pull buggy .
I had a round last week with a guy that carried his bag, he had a Wilson stand bag with the dual strap thing ( over both shoulders ). It seemed cumbersome to me until I actually picked his bag up .

Thinking of getting one now .
Mike, I've got a Wilson Lizard Carry Deluxe, which would have the straps that you are talking about.

I think it's great, and it saves trying to fit one of those stupid buggies in the car. And it isn't that heavy when it is distributed across both shoulders. And I carry the full 14 club.

Makes it easier to take shortcuts on the course too, and walk straight across the green, instead of going around.

And another handy thing, is having two free hands, one for the pie, the other for a drink. 8)

gazgolf1
29th November 2004, 06:12 PM
Tried it, hated it. :smt009

Even though the bags are light with all my clubs in it the bag got too heavy and it smacked against my arse when I walked and is there anything worse than carrying a bucket of sand around all day.

I went back to dragging a buggy straight away and I'm very happy. \:D/

BTW don't listen to jarro he's stonger than a normal man because he unloads planes all day.....he's got really strong wrists too, when I asked him about them all he said was one word .......Rocco. :smt017

McMw
29th November 2004, 06:15 PM
that's too funny Gaz.... :lol:

Those Wilson Lizard stand bags are good...

but again...check the straps....esp at the anchor points...
on average, 95% of the bags out there will break at this points...

terryand
29th November 2004, 06:16 PM
Tried it, hated it. :smt009

Even though the bags are light with all my clubs in it the bag got too heavy and it smacked against my bum when I walked and is there anything worse than carrying a bucket of sand around all day.

I went back to dragging a buggy straight away and I'm very happy. \:D/

BTW don't listen to jarro he's stonger than a normal man because he unloads planes all day.....he's got really strong wrists too, when I asked him about them all he said was one word .......Rocco. :smt017

Gaz, don't start him #-o

Terry.

goughy
29th November 2004, 06:53 PM
If you ask jarro and damo I was once firmly against carry bags. I even said they were nuts to carry a bag.

Now I do the same. It may depend on the course you play, but ours has a lot of hills. I noticed the first time I carried that it was in fact easier than using a cart. Now I quite like it.

If you go looking, make sure they let you load the ones you're trying up in the store and try it out full. Some will feel more comfortable than others.

Also look for where the pockets are situated. I can reach everything I need during the round while walking - water, golf balls, food, scorecard, tees etc etc. I find that pretty good.

Keza_G
29th November 2004, 07:00 PM
Hey Mike,

Before I got my SMT Bag I used to carry my sticks..... I have a Titleist dual Strap Carry bag and find it easy & fantastic to carry.....

Nowadays I beleive most of the carry bags have the dual strap and they are usually put in certain spots so hat when you put our sticks in it balances up nicely....

When carrying your clubs you can often walk less..... ie staright over the greens, through any hazard etc.... you don't have to walk around anything cause your pulling a buggy... I love it, in fact I may go back to it...

Cheers

Keza

Deano
29th November 2004, 08:15 PM
Another vote for Ogio bags from Amart Allsports :wink:

Stupidly cheap at $139.

Deano

Trung
29th November 2004, 08:55 PM
Another vote for Ogio bags from Amart Allsports :wink:

Stupidly cheap at $139.

Deano

:D Three more votes from Trung + 2 mates..

We looks like idiots now with 3 Ogios carry bag walking to the driving range :lol:

AndyP
29th November 2004, 08:58 PM
We looks like idiots now with 3 Ogios carry bag walking to the driving range :lol:
Trung, it's not the carry bags. :neutral:

Trung
29th November 2004, 09:01 PM
Trung, it's not the carry bags. :neutral:

Nice jab, I knew as soon I as wrote it I left myself open for attack from Pippy :twisted:

markTHEblake
29th November 2004, 09:14 PM
I must be getting old. I am thinking about buying a nice light carry bag, then sticking on my buggy anyway.

Courty
29th November 2004, 09:30 PM
Hey Mike,
I did have a really nice Nike carry bag with the dual Izzo straps & insulated pocket for drinks & all the cool stuff. I must say it was very compact and convenient. But I have seen your car & I know you have plenty of boot space. :wink:
The biggest problem I found with the carry bag was fatigue. Especially in the summer months (ie. now). It is draining enough driving a buggy around 18 holes in this humid weather we get up here, let alone carrying all your gear as well. I traded my carry bag for a regular bag a while back, and have since bought the TM staff bag (more room for more stuff). :roll:
If you want to save a bit of energy, do what I did on the weekend & invest in a push buggy with a third wheel at the front. It takes very little effort to push it around. I just need a kickstand or something so it doesn't roll away when I stop on a slope. :roll:

mike
29th November 2004, 10:07 PM
Hey thanks guys ( and Keza ) , looks like I've found my Christmas present.

"More golf stuff ? " she'll say. :D

Drummond golf have just opened up here. (Next year we're hoping to get electricity and running water.) I'll check 'em out on the weegend.

But I have seen your car & I know you have plenty of boot space. :wink:
:

More space now Courty. Got ourselves a new(ish) Commodore wagon.

amanda
30th November 2004, 08:08 AM
I am a winter carryer, summer buggy person - I just get too sweaty in summer carrying the bag - and the high humidity just saps the energy out of me.

Courty
30th November 2004, 08:42 AM
Drummond golf have just opened up here. I'll check 'em out on the weegend.

Mike, I have already been to Drummond a few times. It's pretty sweet. They've got a good range of gear there. Make sure you also go to Amart Allsports at Earlville Shopping Centre. They have a reasonable selection of bags there too, including Ogio (which I must say, look pretty good). I was also surprised to see Titleist bags there. :shock:

damoocow
30th November 2004, 08:52 AM
Mike - when you are in the shop make sure you load the bag up and walk around for a bit - my carry bag is a wilson single strap - I just found the harness/double strap type really annoying and aggravated my neck - my bag has done about 3 years now and is on the threshold of replacement and I will probably be getting an ogio [the cheapest at amart for $99 or so ] will probably only use it as a single strap bag though.
damoocow

markTHEblake
1st December 2004, 10:10 AM
Did you use a Carry Bag, or a poofy one with a stand?

Never seen a real golfer use a stand bag.

Speirsy11
4th December 2004, 09:14 PM
I always prefer to carry, always have. If you are going to look at a new carry bag, take a close look at the PING Hoofer line. They are the most popular for a reason. Lots of room, great strap system, fairly light, and great looking.

Speirsy11