PDA

View Full Version : Hi All

CanuckDownUnder
18th November 2008, 04:59 AM
Hello Everyone!

Just recently started playing golf again after a few years off and catch up with what I've missed. I'm from the Sydney area (originally Canada) and have played a few courses in the past week, got some lessons from a pro and I am hooked. Again. New clubs, new balls, new swing.....

Jarro
18th November 2008, 05:46 AM
Another one :roll:

Welcome :mrgreen:

Dotty
18th November 2008, 05:56 AM
Welcome aboard.

Courty
18th November 2008, 06:12 AM
Seems to be a few Canadians around here these days. Welcome!

Grunt
18th November 2008, 06:30 AM
Welcome Canuck, another Sydney Player. Where in Sydney are you? Are you a member anywhere?

We might just get a few Sydney players that play Ozgolf days soon. ;)

CanuckDownUnder
18th November 2008, 07:32 AM
I live in the Mosman area and I am not a member of any club, yet. Don't know if I would actually play enough to become a member at this time. Atm I'm trying to play a couple times per week and hit the range just as much. I used to play 3-4 times per week , but those days are on hold. But It would be great to play with an Oz group. Still working on getting my handicap back

Johnny Canuck
18th November 2008, 08:01 AM
welcome.. where in canada?

Eag's
18th November 2008, 08:02 AM
Welcome Canuck :smt006

sms316
18th November 2008, 09:31 AM
G'day Canuck, eh?

CanuckDownUnder
18th November 2008, 10:24 AM
Toronto. Mississauga to be exact. Eh!

Flowergirl
18th November 2008, 10:41 AM
Welcome - what does canuck mean???

Webster
18th November 2008, 11:57 AM

He is a Canadian of "Cheese Eating Surrender Monkey" extraction.

Jarro
18th November 2008, 12:02 PM

Cool ... another RUSH fan then 'eh ? ;)

Flowergirl
18th November 2008, 12:11 PM
He is a Canadian of "Cheese Eating Surrender Monkey" extraction.
Huh??????????????????????

Johnny Canuck
18th November 2008, 02:19 PM

Wow, me too. Born and raised in Etobicoke, spent 10 years or so in Mississauga. Brittania and Mavis area.

I also lived in Sydney's northern beaches when I first came to Aus.

Maybe my schizophrenia is starting to act up again..

Johnny Canuck
18th November 2008, 02:22 PM

Origin and Roots
"Many dictionaries say simply ‘orig. unknown.’ The term is in little use today among us, except for the Vancouver Canucks hockey team. One may, on occasion, run into a jocular person (possibly in a U.S. bar) who will say, "oh, a Canuck, hah?" but the word seldom features in ordinary conversation. (It has been traced) through U.S. dictionaries as Canuck, Canack, Cunnuck and Kanuck, the last one (1835) meaning a Dutch or French Canadian. A Dictionary of Americanisms defines Canuck, Canack, and Cunnuck as "colloquial slang appellations for a native of Canada, although (within Canada) almost solely understood to be a French Canadian.
There is a theory that the word is derived from Connaught, a term said to be given by French Canadians to the Irish. There is a suggestion that it may come from the first syllable of Canada, combined with an Algonquin noun ending in –uc. The Oxford Companion To The English Language (defines the term as): "Canuck, 1820’s. Probably from the Iroquoian canuchsa, someone in a kanata (village)…but possibly from Hawaiian kanaka (man), through a pidgin used in the fur trade (in which Pacific islanders were employed), and taken into French as canaque, perhaps being originally applied to French Canadian canoemen. A nickname for a Canadian…but in the U.S. Northeast pejoratively referring to French Canadians."

Webster
18th November 2008, 03:07 PM
Huh??????????????????????

Cheese eating surrender Monkeys

a frenchman, esp. soldier.

"If France or the french and continental Europe had stood up to the Nazis, like Britain and Canada, rather than roll over like cheese eating surrender monkeys, then the war would've ended much earlier, saving the lives of hundreds of thousands of British, Canadian, Australian, American, and Russian soldiers.

We gave them freedom. They gave us body hair and Body odour. "

CanuckDownUnder
18th November 2008, 08:25 PM
Lol @ Brittania & Mavis! I was @ Kingsbridge and Hwy 10. Not missing it though. Cold and Robotic. As for Rush, I have a Rush baseball cap in my closet as we type. Ah, memories of Angus Glen and Wooden Sticks.