PDA

View Full Version : ozgolf cricket challenge

damoocow
28th November 2004, 09:51 PM
just about to log off when thought an ozgolf cricket game would be a good idea sometime over Xmas -
where ? - has to be somewhere central to all who participate
I guess ? [can we find a venue far away from Trung where he has no mobile coverage ?]
format? - depends on numbers but could be a one day match of 2 full teams or a couple of games with teams of 5 or 6 ?
food ? - get the other halves and kiddies to do this ! - actually get them involved in bringing out drinks / etc etc as well as cooking the food.
further details - have no idea - was a passing thought - tomorrow will probably wake and have no knowledge of this post - but seems like an OK idea now !!

damoocow

Fishman Dan
28th November 2004, 09:57 PM
where ? - has to be somewhere central to all who participate

Coffs Harbour is 1/2 way? ;)

Trung
28th November 2004, 10:22 PM
[can we find a venue far away from Trung where he has no mobile coverage ?]

:smt102 :smt102 :smt102

:-k :smt112

markTHEblake
28th November 2004, 10:34 PM
I'll be in that, unless someone has heaps of cricket gear might I suggest indoor cricket instead. Faster, everyone more involved, bar close by, in the shade, and only have to field for about 40 mins.

Jarro
29th November 2004, 05:54 AM
Blakeys idea has some merit.

AndyP
29th November 2004, 08:04 AM
I'll be in that, unless someone has heaps of cricket gear might I suggest indoor cricket instead. Faster, everyone more involved, bar close by, in the shade, and only have to field for about 40 mins.
Was thinking the same thing. Won't need as many people for this format.

I think a few of us have indoor cricket gear too.
I've got gloves, bat, balls and keeper gloves.
However, I insist that people supply your own protector. :-&

Court suggestions: Salisbury, Toombul. Availability of these courts is another matter.

Bruce
29th November 2004, 08:49 AM
Yeah sure. Hide away in the north where I can't get to you.

This Saturday I was 14-8-17-2. Would have had a couple more if 1st slip wasn't completely useless.

You play your pretty little indoor game.

AndyP
29th November 2004, 09:18 AM
This Saturday I was 14-8-17-2. Would have had a couple more if 1st slip wasn't completely useless.
Bruce, don't you think it's a little bit unfair coming in full pace at those 12 year olds. [-X :P

Bruce
29th November 2004, 09:28 AM
Bruce, don't you think it's a little bit unfair coming in full pace at those 12 year olds. [-X :P

They had helmets on. :twisted:

damoocow
29th November 2004, 12:48 PM
might I suggest indoor cricket instead

not really the same thing is it !

damoocow

AndyP
29th November 2004, 01:08 PM
Batting is iffy...at best. Just put me in at the end for a tonk. Lofts over mid on are my speciality.
How do you think McGrath got his fifty? Nearly all his scoring shots were through mid-on. Don't put yourself down, mate. ;)

Indoor? Outdoor? Whatever. It's a fine idea, and I want in.

damoocow
29th November 2004, 01:56 PM
outdoor for me -
I would suggest we not worry too much about the gear - do we really need pads ? [I would think it would be too dodgy to play with a proper cricket ball - maybe something in between] -
do we even need proper stumps - I'm sure we can improvise on all these things !
- we just commandeer a school oval or a big park somewhere - organise some eskies / a portable BBQ / some shade to sit in / perfect !!

damoocow

AndyP
29th November 2004, 02:23 PM
outdoor for me - [I would think it would be too dodgy to play with a proper cricket ball - maybe something in between] -

An indoor cricket ball is a good in-between. Was using one of these down in the nets yesterday. It swings, and cuts because it has a seam like an outdoor ball, but it was a little hard bowling with it into the wind.
Still hurts and leaves bruises, but doesn't do too much damage. 8)

Another option is one of those rubber composite thingys.

damoocow
29th November 2004, 02:37 PM
Still hurts and leaves bruises, but doesn't do too much damage.

sounds fair enough to me .

damoocow

Fishman Dan
29th November 2004, 02:43 PM
I've got a mate who runs 2 indoor centres. Let me know if i can come into play if you need an indoor ball or 2.

AndyP
29th November 2004, 02:52 PM
I've got a mate who runs 2 indoor centres. Let me know if i can come into play if you need an indoor ball or 2.
I've got a couple of old indoor cricket balls, but there is nothing like a nice hard new ball to swing all over the place and cause that extra bit of pain. :wink:

damoocow
29th November 2004, 02:59 PM
and cause that extra bit of pain.

so Andy, I assume you and jarro will be in opposing teams ?

damoocow

AndyP
29th November 2004, 03:01 PM
and cause that extra bit of pain.

:mrgreen:

damoocow
29th November 2004, 03:02 PM
I nominate AndyP and Jarro as team captains ! -
now this is getting interesting!

damoocow

AndyP
29th November 2004, 03:07 PM
I nominate AndyP and Jarro as team captains ! -
now this is getting interesting!

Will we have enough for teams though?
We only have interest from 5 people so far. :?

Actually, I'm sure I could get together a couple of mates, if they are available.
Still need to get more though.

AndyP
29th November 2004, 03:28 PM
Oh great..here we go again....two captains out the front and I'm the last bloke picked......

After Cronje hit Hughes for six for about the 8th time, Big Merv ran down the pitch, let out a huge fart and said "Try and hit that for six".

This is where you come in handy, g69.
I'm thinking you could field at silly point, and get right in the batter's face with some sledging and your other "talents". ;)

Jarro
29th November 2004, 04:54 PM

BRING IT ON :twisted: this is turning into a great idea 8)

i've got a few old indoor balls that are almost "new" .. but if we really want a couple of new ones for the day .. i can shoot on over to the brackenridge indoor centre .. i know where they keep the newbies :wink:

so whats the format to be :? Outdoor ... 40/50 overs per side :?: can't get out on the first ball ... 1 bouncer per over .... 5 pace runup

let's get something organised here.

BTW .. my first pick is Moocow .... i need another sledger on my team :wink: 2nd pick will be Golfer69 Who else is playing :?: Onewood, Tezza, A-Lo :smt017

drunken
29th November 2004, 05:18 PM
Yeah depending on where & when the game is I'll be in.
Used to play a bit of cricket but have been resting the last couple of seasons :lol:

I have some gear as well..Not much use to the rest of you though, unless you want to bat left handed 8)

AndyP
29th November 2004, 06:01 PM
so whats the format to be :? Outdoor ... 40/50 overs per side :?:
As if we'll last that long. :roll:

BTW .. my first pick is Moocow .... i need another sledger on my team :wink: 2nd pick will be Golfer69 Who else is playing :?: Onewood, Tezza, A-Lo :smt017
I've got an idea. :idea: Why don't you choose whoever you want first, and I'll take the dregs. :wink: Nice try. [-X

We might be able to get some sort of Qld vs non-Qld thing going, depending on numbers.

Keza_G
29th November 2004, 07:16 PM
Well guys...

I think indoor sounds good, bar, shade & don't have to run so far to field the ball..... you lot would go for the slog & I aint gonna chase it..... [-X

Count me in if you wanna have an indoor game in brissy somewhere, me and my hubby would love it...... set a date, organise the baby sitter and meet you all, drink, laugh & try and play a good game of hit and giggle :lol: without having to chase it.... :!:

Put me down for 2, Keza_G & Scotty_G

Cheers

Keza_G

markTHEblake
29th November 2004, 07:59 PM
I play in a social cricket comp every year ( except tis one) and we use an Indoor cricket ball, mainly cos we dont have helmets and we dont want anyone killed. Wind is usually an issue, so we always bowl from one end - try bowling into the wind with an indoor ball, you might not reach the stumps.

You will find it difficult to get a ground this time of the year, they all seem to be in use for cricket matches - funny that. There is a field at the school next to emerald lakes that we always can get on, forgot the cost, but $7 covered us for the new ball and the ground hire.

Golfer69, dont tell me your a lefty that plays righty?
That explains a lot - hang on no it doesnt. Backhanded golfers always slice, so how come you dont?

And I am no Chris Tavare, nor an Ian Botham. More like a Jimmy Higgs.
Mind you in my last game i top scored with 24 (personal best) and hit my first ever 4 and 6 against some pretty good bowling, I came out to bat at 6 for 10. After thinking about it, i reckon I am a pretty handy batsman, its just that its the first time I ever batted long enough to get my eye in. (ie more than 3 balls)

Jarro
29th November 2004, 08:06 PM
I hope you get picked on AndyP's team Blakey ..

.. i'll enjoy sending down some savage, short pitched deliveries at you :twisted:

Onewood
29th November 2004, 09:18 PM
Damoocow, Damoowcow, what are you doing to these poor wantabe golfers,

They are really thinking about this stupid idea, :roll: one of your most stanges pranks and you've got some interest :roll:

We have heat, humidity, sun, running, and standing for hours to think about here :roll:

So stop playing with the forum and call this off before it get's out of hand :D

Cricket in the middle of summer :roll: :roll: :roll:

Onewood
29th November 2004, 09:25 PM
Kev
For a small fee we could let you hire a cart.
...great mental picture of you driving around in a car at deep 3rd man collecting the ball... :D ...chulli bun un the beck uz wull. :smt004 :smt030

A cart with a roof and it's own esky :-k

damoocow
30th November 2004, 09:23 AM
A cart with a roof and it's own esky

don't worry you'll be able to borrow Andylo's - come to think of it I would be surprised if he isn't trolling ebay right now for a new Gray Nick bat and total whites.

damoocow

markTHEblake
30th November 2004, 09:37 AM
Many golf buggies (with the seat removed) fit an esky quite nicely.I can just see the field littered with buggies, eskies and tired fielders sitting on the esky.