PDA

View Full Version : Walk Ozgolf Walk

Jono
10th November 2008, 07:40 AM
Seeing AndyP's transformed physique was an inspiration for me. I am not going to go quite that far, but I want to lose a few kilos before the end of the year. The extra weight is giving me knee problems, making me lethargic and causing insomnia. :(

Here's the goal. I weighed in at 83kg this morning. I want to get to 75kg by end of the year. That's about one kilo per week.

I'm going to walk every morning. I walked today for 20 minutes on the Wollongong beach. I'll gradually build that up to 45 minutes.

I'm going to supplement that with some weightlifting and strength work. Barbells, dumbells, kettlebells, sand bags, rubber bands, chains ... :shock: Single hand stuff for now until my right hand heals.

As to the diet, I'll try to eat healthy and not eat anything after 7pm. Can't give up my ice creams though ... :oops:

I'll report back every week. 8-)

Notice: Modified Goal after 1 week :roll:

Weight: 78kg (on the new scale)
Fat: 20%
Muscle 40%
Bone 4%

Scottt
10th November 2008, 08:37 AM
I saw the thread title and thought maybe you were issuing a moral challengers to those who were playing cricket this summer :lol:

Jarro
10th November 2008, 08:40 AM
Good work Jono .....

.. maybe Courty and I shouldn't have given you that lift down the 18th then should we ;)

Fishman Dan
10th November 2008, 08:51 AM
Good stuff Jono. If you get tired call me and I can put you on Ella's seat on the back of my bike ;)

Eag's
10th November 2008, 09:00 AM
Jono, it won't take you long to see the results and that will motivate you to stick with it. Good luck mate :)

3oneday
10th November 2008, 09:18 AM
No chance.

;)

amanda
10th November 2008, 09:18 AM
Keep it up Jono! Cardio is the best thing for shedding the kilos (and no carbs after 3pm!)

Jono
10th November 2008, 06:48 PM
(and no carbs after 3pm!)

That's a bit unrealistic for me ... I love my rice, potato, noodles, etc. I'll try to limit my evening carb intake, however. Cutting out food after 7pm will help as well.

Jono
10th November 2008, 06:50 PM
No chance.

;)

How about a box of Pro v1x's on it? Getting the dozen pills back will serve as a great motivating factor ... perhaps. :roll:

:lol:

AndyP
10th November 2008, 07:04 PM
Jono, I only started with walking.....

Jono, it won't take you long to see the results and that will motivate you to stick with it. Good luck mate :)I completely agree. The best motivation is positive results.

3oneday
11th November 2008, 12:05 AM
oh goody

Dotty
11th November 2008, 06:01 AM
<snip>
I'll report back every week. 8-)
Ditto to all of the above.
93.6kg, wuth 33% body fat.

I'd give you my plan, but while I'm sitting at the computer, I'm not doing any walking.

amanda
11th November 2008, 08:43 AM
That's a bit unrealistic for me ... I love my rice, potato, noodles, etc. I'll try to limit my evening carb intake, however. Cutting out food after 7pm will help as well.
So do we! We just have our carbs in the morning and at lunch. They say that if you're eating carbs for dinner - the plate should be 1/4 carbs, 1/4 protein, 1/2 veggies. Worked well for Brad - he lost 10kg of fat that way.

Jarro
11th November 2008, 08:46 AM
Here's the goal. I weighed in at 83kg this morning. I want to get to 75kg by end of the year.

Why 75kg's ?

Is that your supposed ideal weight, or just a figure you'd like to achieve ?

Wouldn't it be better to just lose a little bit and see how you feel then ?

Sometimes i think people get too caught up in attaining a certain 'number' on the scales instead of actually reaching a weight where they feel 'comfortable' within themselves.

Feel free to flame away :razz:

peter_rs
11th November 2008, 09:53 AM
crap litte weights I started two weeks before the champs, but using a cross trainer instead of just walking. I'm hovering around a easy 125kg (107cm). There is no goal weight and anything good was lost over the weekend.

I don't know what to set as a goal as even at uni playing a shit load of sport and not eating due to the lack of money I only got to 95kg and still had a waist line of 102cm. I don't ever think I could get to the "health standard" of 94cm they talk about in that add on tv.

There is a goal date of 9/5/9.

AndyP
11th November 2008, 10:05 AM
Discipline and willpower are key things if people are fair dinkum about losing waist. It's okay to have fad diets etc that may lose some weight fast, but I think it's important to change your lifestyle such that the weight will always stay off.

Walking should be easy to stick to.

3oneday
11th November 2008, 10:14 AM
I'm hovering around a easy 125kg (107cm).
geez, the way I read this one you were 125kg and 107 cm tall :shock:

haysey
11th November 2008, 10:30 AM
I haven't had a 107cm waistline since I quit playing soccer. Currently hovering around 122cm:roll:

Maybe I should start exercising as well:-k

Mind you, I,m not a big fan of that add on tv, or the whole BMI thing. I've never been close to being in the acceptable range for either of them:roll:

shazza_rs
11th November 2008, 10:41 AM
Well i suppose that would happen when you look like big bird :)

shazza_rs
11th November 2008, 10:41 AM
There is a goal date of 9/5/9.

It's okay honey.... I'll still marry ya no matter what you look like! :mrgreen:

Eag's
11th November 2008, 12:07 PM
I find walking soooo boring.
Its running or nothing for me...but I'm just rooted after 2k.

When was the last time you ran 2k mate :lol:

Webster
11th November 2008, 12:08 PM
dickie, get a phone that has sky channel on it and go for your walk in the evening after dinner. I do this often - walk up to the TAB and put half an hours bets on, watch them on the phone whilst going for a walk, then walk back to the TAB to collect the winnings if there are any!

Eag's
11th November 2008, 12:18 PM
A week ago..mind you its done at Cliffy Young speed.

Go for a run up some of those hills around your joint that will sort ya out.
Get a bit of MC Hammer pumping in your Ipod ;)

peter_rs
11th November 2008, 01:05 PM

Thats why its a cross trainer in front of the plasma in the mornings :lol:

amanda
11th November 2008, 01:14 PM
Mind you, I,m not a big fan of that add on tv, or the whole BMI thing. I've never been close to being in the acceptable range for either of them:roll:
The waist thing is all about the fat in your omentum (aka belly) - fat in the belly creates most of the dangers of being overweight.

I know she can be a bit over the top - but a great explanation was on Oprah
http://www.oprah.com/slideshow/omagazine/slideshow1_ss_yourbody_20061102/3

Jono
14th November 2008, 02:56 PM

You're right. Walking is boring ... Unless you have a walking partner. They say walking at the pace where you can still have a conversation with someone is the best in terms of losing fat. Would be nice if the wife would go walking with me, but she hates exercise. :roll:

Hmmm ... Might get a dog ... 8)

Jono
14th November 2008, 03:00 PM
Why 75kg's ?

Is that your supposed ideal weight, or just a figure you'd like to achieve ?

Wouldn't it be better to just lose a little bit and see how you feel then ?

Sometimes i think people get too caught up in attaining a certain 'number' on the scales instead of actually reaching a weight where they feel 'comfortable' within themselves.

Feel free to flame away :razz:

Given that I was 65kg and now I am nearly 85kg, I thought 75kg is a nice compromise ...

But you are right. It's probably not the best parameter to look at. I'm going to get one of those scales that measure body fat. I reckon I'm at least 20-25% fat at the moment. Used to be around 10% when I was at uni. :?

amanda
14th November 2008, 05:56 PM
Hmmm ... Might get a dog ... 8)
I know what you mean about a walking partner - Brad & I walk 20 min each day in the morning and afternoon - great time to chat about everything/anything (I don't like exercise either but it's the only way to get to the train station!)

Just don't get a lap top (small terrier and the like) - they get tired easily.
You need a nice labrador or golden retriever - they'll tow you along!

Have you ever thought about riding a bicycle to work?

Dotty
17th November 2008, 07:09 AM
Last week ... 93.6kg, with 33% body fat.

This week ... 93.8kg, with 30% body fat. (Only one reading, but happy dropping body fat from 29.0kg to 28.1kg.)

Achievements ... 5 days of a 1 hr morning walk.
Replaced all alcohol with soda/mineral water, including post-golf, work lunch and pub lunch.
No take-away.

Next week ... Don't lose acheivements
More fruit and veges

3oneday
17th November 2008, 07:31 AM
Nice update Dotty, but where is Jonos ?

Jono
17th November 2008, 07:47 AM
Hmm ... weighed in at 84kg this morning. :(

Walked about 20 to 30 minutes in the morning and had 3 sessions with the weights during the week. I tried to avoid junk food but didn't really pay attention to the amount I was eating.

I'll have to get one of those scales with percentage body fat. My goal might have to be modified to achieve certain percentage body fat rather than raw weight. I'll increase the walking time to 45 min and watch the amount I eat.

AndyP
17th November 2008, 08:14 AM
Can the % body fat reading on those scales be trusted?

Eag's
17th November 2008, 08:49 AM
Jono, don't go to hard with the weights, muscle weighs a lot more than fat which I am sure you are aware. Spend your time at the gym doing cardio workouts the weight will fall off.

AP, I don't trust mine the readings can sometimes fluctuate 3-5% in 24hrs :smt017

3oneday
17th November 2008, 08:51 AM
Sorry, this is a set of scales that you stand on and it measures your body fat ? :confused:

PeteyD
17th November 2008, 09:16 AM
Yes it pumps electricity into you and the resistance tells it your body fat. Pretty clever.

3oneday
17th November 2008, 09:27 AM
the resistance tells it your body fat. Pretty clever.

does it work if you're constipated ?

sms316
17th November 2008, 09:28 AM
Good effort Dotty/Jono. I've just come off a 3 week break (consisting of drinking and eating).

SMS' advice - don't have 3 week breaks consisting of eating and drinking. It feels like you are further behind than when you started.

PeteyD
17th November 2008, 09:29 AM
Just cos you are full of shit?

3oneday
17th November 2008, 09:30 AM
How would it know the difference ? :)

PeteyD
17th November 2008, 09:31 AM
No idea.

PeteyD
17th November 2008, 09:33 AM
http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/bodyfatscales.html

Dotty
17th November 2008, 09:37 AM
Naturally, an experienced and qualified sports-scientist/physio/dietician would give a more accurate reading.

But as a guide (and provided the margin-of-error is consistent), it should help me monitor any progress and stop me going back to old habits.

fyi. Works by having metal pads on each foot and sending a small current through the body. (When changing batteries, just need to preset gender and height, into either player A or player B.)

3oneday
17th November 2008, 09:45 AM
fyi. Works by having metal pads on each foot and sending a small current through the body. (When changing batteries, just need to preset gender and height, into either player A or player B.)
Thanks, where do you buy them ? Kmart or the like ??

JustSneaky
17th November 2008, 09:48 AM
Jono, don't go to hard with the weights, muscle weighs a lot more than fat which I am sure you are aware. Spend your time at the gym doing cardio workouts the weight will fall off.:smt017

Ok unless your pushing weights for 6 days a week, an hour plus! a day and scoffing protien supps,you will put on "f" all muscle weight.

Muscle Is A Fat Burner,..this is why most women put weight on easier than men,.( less muscle mass)

Stick with any excersise that gets a sweat up.:smt038

Dotty
17th November 2008, 10:06 AM
Thanks, where do you buy them ? Kmart or the like ??
Mine was gift about 10 years ago. (Along with a measuring jug and wooden spoons, as I was using too much kitchen and bathroom stuff, when building a rockery.) It's a Takita brand, and would have been around the $150-180.

I think I've seen them in the Myer or David Jones catalogs, so KMart, Target or even chemist chains may also have them.

AndyP
17th November 2008, 11:06 AM
I got mine in Target on special for $30 or something.
The body fat % calculated is obviously reliant on the amount of water in the body. I get error readings on it quite often after a run and being dehydrated.

Jono, don't get hung up on week-to-week results that you see on the scales. It's all about the long term remember.

Eag's
17th November 2008, 11:08 AM
Ok unless your pushing weights for 6 days a week, an hour plus! a day and scoffing protien supps,you will put on "f" all muscle weight.

Muscle Is A Fat Burner,..this is why most women put weight on easier than men,.( less muscle mass)

Stick with any excersise that gets a sweat up.:smt038

Yes muscle is a fat burner but it still weighs more than fat.
So your fat % may fall but that does not mean you will lose weight.
I dropped 5kg and my body fat % barely moved, obviously it will vary from person to person.

JustSneaky
17th November 2008, 11:40 AM
I dropped 5kg and my body fat % barely moved,

So what did you lose,fluid?

I was just saying it takes real devotion to weight training,to have noticable,muscle weight gain,and that weight training can only be a positive,not a concern.

that is all

Jono
17th November 2008, 06:12 PM
I bought a body composition scale today. Homedics 540.

http://www.homedics.com.au/au/sc-540.html

My weight 84.5kg
Body fat 27%
Muscle 36.5%
Bone 3.5%

Given these readings, here is my modified goal by end of the year.

Weight: 78kg (on the new scale)
Fat: 20%
Muscle 40%
Bone 4%

I don't know how they measure bone density but this feature will come in handy. I have osteopenia (mild osteoporosis) due to hormone deficiency. I am now taking hormone replacements and doing weight training (which is supposed to increase bone density).

I bought the scale at Harvey Norman for $120. RRP is $150. I think the girl at the counter saw my gut and took pity on me ... LOL ...

Eag's
17th November 2008, 06:18 PM
Good luck with it mate :smt023

goughy
17th November 2008, 08:33 PM
Jono, don't go to hard with the weights, muscle weighs a lot more than fat which I am sure you are aware. Spend your time at the gym doing cardio workouts the weight will fall.

Actually I read an article about this today. I've been doing some circuit like workouts with my stuff. It says with cardio alone about 70% of your weight loss comes from fat and the rest from muscle. Add in the weight workouts and you up the weight loss from fat to 95 to 100%.

goughy
17th November 2008, 08:40 PM
The workouts I do are using a resistance band. Really easy, no changing weights and I do two full circuits with a rest in between. Also some core stuff that hurts like hell. High reps with it all and it really gets the heart pumping too. Then it's onto the exercise bike straight after. I used to do it the other way around, but I've read that doing cardio after a workout helps the muscles build more.

Jono
17th November 2008, 10:59 PM
I did some squats tonight in my home gym. I can't do much else because of the broken right hand. I got up to 60kg for 10 reps. I wanted to add more weight, but I decided not to because of my dicky knees. I'll let the ligaments and tendons get the bit stronger before I start squatting big weights.

I'm pretty happy with the progress though. After the operation a year ago, I could hardly get up from the chair. The plan is to work on basic strength exercises (along with the walks in the morning of course) till the end of the year and then do more dynamic stuff (eg. plyometrics, sandbag training, olympic style weightlifting) after that.

Jono
17th November 2008, 11:02 PM
The workouts I do are using a resistance band. Really easy, no changing weights and I do two full circuits with a rest in between. Also some core stuff that hurts like hell. High reps with it all and it really gets the heart pumping too. Then it's onto the exercise bike straight after. I used to do it the other way around, but I've read that doing cardio after a workout helps the muscles build more.

What type of resistance bands have you got, goughy? The ones with handles on each end or the closed loop ones? I've got some closed loop ones and I'm going to start using them soon.

3oneday
17th November 2008, 11:12 PM
You ho'ing walking aids now too ?

amanda
19th November 2008, 04:08 PM
I did some squats tonight in my home gym. I can't do much else because of the broken right hand. I got up to 60kg for 10 reps. I wanted to add more weight, but I decided not to because of my dicky knees. I'll let the ligaments and tendons get the bit stronger before I start squatting big weights.
That's pretty impressive - how deep are you doing the squats? Brad's up to a similar weight (57.5kg) - but following the same deep squat technique used by olympic lifters (a good friend of mine set up the workout he's doing - she's training for competition lifting)

Jono
19th November 2008, 06:45 PM
That's pretty impressive - how deep are you doing the squats? Brad's up to a similar weight (57.5kg) - but following the same deep squat technique used by olympic lifters (a good friend of mine set up the workout he's doing - she's training for competition lifting)

I am squatting down as low as I feel comfortable with. Not quite low as olympic style lifting though. I don't think my knees can handle that yet. I'll get there though.

Talking about olympic style lifting, I bought some bumper plates and an olympic bar with ball bearings. I've layed some 15mm rubber matts (double thickness) in the garage so I can drop the weights. I can't wait for the hand to heal so I can start doing some snatchs, high pulls, cleans and jerks. 8-)

Scottt
20th November 2008, 07:45 PM
Those fats scales are rarely accurate, but are generally consistant.

What I mean by that is that they probably won't give you the exactly right reading, but if you use them at the same time of day all the time when you are at the same state of being fed and watered, their reading should be consistant ie. they will always be 3% higher than actual, or say 5% lower, so you won't know exactly what your body fat % is, but you will be able to track how it is dropping.

If you use them at all different times of day, they're about as reliable as pulling a number out of a hat.

Re: losing muscle from cardio, there are some great articles on bodybuilding.com about that, while a mate of mine who is an NRL physio has told me that for a non-athlete without copious extra muscle, the issue of muscle wastage is a moot one.

We do enough in our day to day routines to work our muscle enough that it won't "waste away", and if you're doing a lot of cardio and are on a calorie defecit, no amount of lifting is going to add muscle. Tone them, yes, add strength, yes, but not add muscle.

But it's still very much worthwhile. While cardio can lift your metabolism for 2-3 hours, weight training has been show to lift your metabolism for up to 48 hours!

Personally, coming over here to London has done wonders. I'd let myself go during winter and got a bit fat, but have now lost about 2kg in as many weeks here simply due to all the walking you do when 1. you're doing touristy shit in a new place, and 2. don';t have a car. Also, I have had so much on that I have stopped snacking, which was the real killer.

amanda
20th November 2008, 08:25 PM
I am squatting down as low as I feel comfortable with. Not quite low as olympic style lifting though. I don't think my knees can handle that yet. I'll get there though.

Talking about olympic style lifting, I bought some bumper plates and an olympic bar with ball bearings. I've layed some 15mm rubber matts (double thickness) in the garage so I can drop the weights. I can't wait for the hand to heal so I can start doing some snatchs, high pulls, cleans and jerks. 8-)
Definitely have to have strong knees for deep squats! I can't even get my thighs to go past parallel (yes - I am a wus!) - I'm thoroughy impressed by Brad's ability.

If you ever want to chat to some pros - let me know - our good friend trains with the women's olympic squad - she's buff!

Jono
21st November 2008, 06:08 PM
Definitely have to have strong knees for deep squats! I can't even get my thighs to go past parallel (yes - I am a wus!) - I'm thoroughy impressed by Brad's ability.

If you ever want to chat to some pros - let me know - our good friend trains with the women's olympic squad - she's buff!

Why don't you bring her down for a barbie or something? I've got all the equipment that we need. Maybe she can give an olympic lifting lesson to me and brad.

Jono
21st November 2008, 06:10 PM
Those fats scales are rarely accurate, but are generally consistant.

Mine wasn't even consistent. :roll: I returned mine after two days of body fat ranging from 20% to almost 40%. :?

I am getting a fat caliper instead. Don't know how accurate it is but at least it should be consistent.

Scottt
21st November 2008, 09:20 PM
Calipers are better, but are only as consistant as the operator. You need to ensure you are testing exactly the same place - exactly - each time.

If you have some cash, from memory it costs about $40 a time to go in this special bath that measures your body composition with 99% accuracy. If you do that once a month you will get a very good idea of how you're progressing.

kev
21st November 2008, 10:08 PM
<snip>

If you have some cash, from memory it costs about $40 a time to go in this special bath that measures your body composition with 99% accuracy. If you do that once a month you will get a very good idea of how you're progressing.

Just make sure you shout Eureka when you get in.

AndyP
22nd November 2008, 10:36 AM
I think the notches of your belt is a great indicator.

Jono
25th November 2008, 07:24 PM
I think the notches of your belt is a great indicator.

I'm on my last notch. :roll:

Jono
3rd December 2008, 07:40 PM
The walking thing's going OK. I've slackened off to about 3 to 4 walking sessions per week. Still about 30 minutes each. If I go any longer, I lose interest.

What I'm really enjoying at the moment is weight lifting. I've largely been doing squats because of my busted right hand. However, I've just started doing some light bench presses as well. I still can't do pulling movements (eg. lat pulldown, rows) because I can't grab with my right hand but I can do pushing movements with the palms open as long as the bar is resting near the bottom of the hand (ie. away from the fracture)

I've kept my reps low. Under 6 reps. I've read somewhere that higher reps makes the muscles hypertrophy (ie. get bigger). Lower reps give you strength without the bulk. Is this true?

I've got my 1 rep max to 120kg which is pretty good considering my dicky knees. I'd like to get that up to 150kg by this time next year.

I've actually gained a little weight since I started my fitness trail. 83kg to 85kg. I don't want to go too much above that.

Anyone else here into weight lifting?

Scottt
4th December 2008, 07:28 AM
Jono: low reps of a high weight = hypertrophy. High reps of lower weight = tone/strength yada yada yada.

I can't recommend bodybuilding.com enough for info, programs etc etc. Great site, just read the forum there with a grain of salt.

Jono
15th January 2009, 10:03 PM
I have officially reached and passed the 90kg mark. Weighed in at 91kg this morning.

WTF is going on? I'm doing my exercises, I'm not eating any more than I did when I used to weigh 65kg ...

Oh ... I forgot I had no man hormones ... :roll:

Anyone else gain 26kg in the last 2 and a half years? :?

Courty
15th January 2009, 10:28 PM
It's called marriage. :neutral: