PDA

View Full Version : Golf secret not all in the wrists

moree golfer
6th November 2008, 03:21 PM
I read the recent article attached and it does make some sense, especially I struggle to hit the ball consistently when concentrating on lagging the club on the downswing by keeping my wrists ****ed as long as possible. I am sure there are some who would disagree in the theory but thought some would be interested in the comments.

Quote "In the expert swings studied, control of the arms and not the wrists appears to be the priority. "The optimal strategy consists of hitting first with the shoulders while holding back with arms and wrists and, after some delay, hitting through with the arms. At release, the wrists should hit through."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7708428.stm

virge666
6th November 2008, 08:53 PM
There is really nothing new there mate - but a good read.

The problem as it has always been is how to teach it. if I gave you a swing that did not feel powerful and the ball went close to the saem distance you hit it now... You would try to make it more powerful.

You then go at the ball harder - lose all the cool angles you had - and we are all back to square one.

It is just a stupid frigging game.

moree golfer
7th November 2008, 07:50 AM
I agree with you virge. Thought would be a good conversation starter but with so many getting ready for the champs the thread might get ignored anyway.

On a different note I noticed that the word describing the wrist action on the backswing on the third line has been censored :lol:. First time I have been censored on a forum so the cherry has been popped :smt038.

The S Man
7th November 2008, 10:30 AM
The problem as it has always been is how to teach it. if I gave you a swing that did not feel powerful and the ball went close to the saem distance you hit it now... You would try to make it more powerful.

You then go at the ball harder - lose all the cool angles you had - and we are all back to square one.

It is just a stupid frigging game.that sounds just like where I am at the moment... but trying to resist the temptation to just "go at it harder". It does feel better knowing I've got the fundamentals right, though.

virge666
9th November 2008, 10:31 PM
that sounds just like where I am at the moment... but trying to resist the temptation to just "go at it harder". It does feel better knowing I've got the fundamentals right, though.

I just spent the weekend trying to hit the ball too hard... check out my scores at the champs to see where that got me.

Ozzy Moore did some great tips and stuff on this in his DVD

PeteyD
10th November 2008, 05:40 AM
Hehe. Look at the scores, I think most people did. Although going hard at the ozgolf champs is expected ;)