PDA

View Full Version : Foxtel Via Telstra

Grunt
30th October 2008, 08:40 AM
Hi

Anyone else get Foxtel via Telstra?

I had a guy here today doing a LNB upgrade of my Satellite dish. He asked me if I got a letter for free upgrade to IQ. I was not sure so he rang Foxtel. The offer was only open to Foxtel customers direct.
After ringing Telstra I found out they are not offering the deal to existing customers only new ones. Really pissing me off having to talk to India for 20 minutes only for them to say it was too hard to do or explain and that I should call back later.

Anyone get the Free IQ upgrade letter? Just trying to find out if it was open to all or just some areas of Foxtel.

Jarro
30th October 2008, 04:28 PM
I get Foxtel packaged in with my Telstra account.

Haven't had a drama yet

damoocow
5th May 2016, 12:49 PM
Trying to get info. on removing my Telstra/foxtel box and associated outside cabling prior to the house getting repainted. Getting nowhere fast - foxtel have no interest in helping as they say it is a Telstra issue. Telstra say because I no longer have an account [since about 2000 I think] there is nothing they can do.
I can live with the box being there but really want the cabling from the box to the house gone - would just do it myself if I knew I wasn't going to get zapped....

AndyP
5th May 2016, 02:20 PM
If the cable isn't being used, and Telstra won't help, then you should try an electrician that covers data communications.

goughy
5th May 2016, 02:49 PM
Some shielded side cutters should solve it.

damoocow
5th May 2016, 03:38 PM
If the cable isn't being used, and Telstra won't help, then you should try an electrician that covers data communications.

Probably the go - I thought it was only pay tv, nbn wouldn't run through it? Is a phone line separate?

damoocow
5th May 2016, 03:39 PM
Some shielded side cutters should solve it.

Hmmm - so it's not live in any way? I have no idea.....

goughy
5th May 2016, 03:49 PM
I have no idea either, hence why I said 'shielded' ;)

I've already had a plumber out to fix some plumbing work I did a while ago. If you wanna trust my advice on wiring and electrical work and cabling, it's on your head! :)

I did wire up most of my work she'd though.........

Sydney Hacker
5th May 2016, 04:04 PM
Probably the go - I thought it was only pay tv, nbn wouldn't run through it? Is a phone line separate? NBN may potentially run through it, depending on HFC developments.

AndyP
5th May 2016, 04:42 PM
Probably the go - I thought it was only pay tv, nbn wouldn't run through it? Is a phone line separate?
I'm not sure to be honest, but I thought Foxtel used existing infrastructure such as phone lines.

BenM
5th May 2016, 05:44 PM
Foxtel doesn't use phone lines to deliver pay TV, it uses either HFC cable (in select areas of some capital cities) or otherwise, satellite. Or Internet if you use Foxtel Go/Play/Anytime but that's not what we're talking about.

The government's new 'multi technology mix' NBN means they use existing tech where possible and they've purchased access to Telstra's HFC network (which is already used to deliver internet services anyway) so potentially if you have an HFC connection to your building it'll get connected to the NBN network at some stage in the future. If it was me I'd lean towards keeping in situ in case it may be a hassle to reconnect later on, but it all probably depends where it is and how much of an eyesore it is. A cabler could potentially move/conceal it so it can be used in future if needed.