PDA

View Full Version : loft and length effect on distance

Scottt
29th October 2008, 05:38 PM
Anyone got any good info on what difference a degree of loft and half an inch of length have on distance?

adlo
29th October 2008, 08:20 PM
Half an inch shorter or longer?

henno
29th October 2008, 08:23 PM
Wouldn't it depend on swing speed to begin with? (At least for drivers anyhow)

More loft can often mean more distance for slow swingers, merely due to the improved trajectory.

adlo
29th October 2008, 09:12 PM
Good point. I assumed he was talking irons.

PeteyD
29th October 2008, 09:23 PM
I remember reading about this, and going from a 45" to 46" driver for an 'average' golfer was something like 4 yards, with the associated greater risk of spraying etc.

adlo
29th October 2008, 09:30 PM
I remember reading about this, and going from a 45" to 46" driver for an 'average' golfer was something like 4 yards, with the associated greater risk of spraying etc.
I think you are spot on. But missing centre of the club by 1cm loses 10 yards or something...... Virge knows.

Anyway, Scottt are you talking irons or driver?

virge666
29th October 2008, 09:57 PM
Yeah - throw me what you need - i can look it up on the Wishon software and Books.

It comes down more to HOW you hit it as opposed to lie and length.

But - tell me which one and I can source it from my clubmaking texts.

Scottt
29th October 2008, 09:57 PM
Irons.

All other things being equal (conditions, swoing speed and angle of attack, type of ball etc).

Just thought knowing my lofts and lengths I can see if the theoretical distance I should hit each club equals the reality of how far each bat goes.

virge666
29th October 2008, 10:00 PM
Righto - irons it is.

Hit a 7 iron - get ya distance...
Hit and 8 iron - get ya distance.

Divide the difference by 4.

That is what a degree of loft gives you !

====

length is a totally differenct kettle of fish... depends on shafts and weights and god know what else. 3/4" longer is usually one club longer.

So a 7 iron that is 3/4" over standard will hit the ball the same distance as a 6 iron of standard length (all things being equal)

Scottt
30th October 2008, 10:56 AM
Thanks Virge.

Maybe I worded my OP poorly.

I know each iron in my bag goes 8-12m further than the previous one. I also know each is .5" longer than the previous iron.

so what extra length am I getting from that 0.5" and what am I getting from the 4deg of loft?

virge666
2nd November 2008, 09:31 AM
so what extra length am I getting from that 0.5" and what am I getting from the 4deg of loft?

Too hard to work out . . too many variables.

The extra .5" is giving you both clubhead speed and an extra bit of weight. At a guess I would say a third of your extra distance.

But it is a guess.

3oneday
2nd November 2008, 10:16 AM
I was certain that LOFT had effect on most parts of the game ?

virge666
2nd November 2008, 10:51 AM
I was certain that LOFT had effect on most parts of the game ?

L.O.F.T is pretty much in charge of my game,

Always has been.