PDA

View Full Version : Speed of Play

Flowergirl
28th October 2008, 12:11 PM
There has been a heap of discussions regarding speed of play. Most of the problems occur due to players not being ready to play their shot, Not having the correct club, leaving their clubs in the wrong spot around the greens, recording their score before teeing off, talking instead of hitting, too many practise swings and walking too slow between shots and worrying too much about

Now these are things that I am really aware of and try not to be guilty of when I play. However - I KNOW that I like to spend a bit of time when I am having my shot. I have a set routine I like to follow. I line up the ball, set myself up, take ONE practice swing then hit. So what I need to know - and I am being serious ( for once) what is an acceptable amount of time to spend over your shot. I am not a person who can just walk up to the ball and hit it - however I would like to speed up my routine.

What I find hard is that the longer amount of time I spend over my shot is noticeable and all the things that I am quick about isn't taken into consideration.

Please - only reply with helpful comments. I really am trying to improve myself here.;)

Eag's
28th October 2008, 12:28 PM
Having never played with you before FG I can't comment on your speed of play. If you are following a set routine then sometimes a bit more time than usual is spent over the ball. I have played with some real slow boats over the years (not to many on here) and it can really get to you over a round.

I have been trying to spend as little time as possible over the ball lately as I tended to stuff around a bit over certain shots. I now don't give myself the time to second guess a club or what type of shot I want to hit, just pick a target and fire 8-)

chappy1970
28th October 2008, 12:28 PM
FG if you have a set routine I wouldn't attempt to deviate from it, especially if it works for you. If your not guilty of the sins you outlined e.g. Walking too slow, talking instead of playing, putting your buggy in the wrong shot, marking your card when you shouldn't be, etc, then I don't think you are an offender.

I don't have a set routine, I probably should, I make decisions on what club to use more often than not before I get to the ball (distance markers help), the only time I may change my club selection will be if the ball has not finished in a favorable lie or the grain of the grass doesn't suit a particular shot (either side or through the green this can happen)

Woman typically play slower than men and in my experience don't really give a sh!t anyway. The fact that you believe that you may need to improve your speed of play is an indication that you are at least conscious of it, I have played with you a couple of times and didn't see any problem with your speed.

Your not as slow as freakin Sergio G used to be, those 25 waggles used to drive me up the wall.

oobsadd2
28th October 2008, 12:32 PM
I think your routine sounds fine. How long before you pull the trigger ? Are you a waggler?

Flowergirl
28th October 2008, 12:35 PM
Most of the women I play with aren't that serious about their golf - and that is fine. They chat away walking down the fairway , walk up to their ball - and just hit it. Needless to say they are high handicappers that don't care and never will be anything but high handicappers.
I think that this makes me appear to be a "slow" player. And I think that I have been guilty of "thinking" too much about my shot.
What I would like to know that is there an actual amount of time - number of seconds - that is considered acceptable. Then at least I have something I can aim for or if I am within that time then I can stop worrying about it. Sometimes I can be standing over the ball and thinking _ " gee - I hope I'm not taking too long - which actually takes more time!!!"
Also - please don't judge me on anytime you may have played with me anything over a year ago. I know I have improved since then.:mrgreen:

oobsadd2
28th October 2008, 12:40 PM
There is a length of time. I think you get 30 seconds (or there abouts) The tour and clubs use it so when the marshals have given you a warning in a comp they can follow it up with a penalty.

Eag's
28th October 2008, 12:41 PM
Get Johnny to time you over a few shots next time you play and it will give you a rough idea how you are going time wise? Make sure he does it when you are not aware though as you may speed up your routine because you are on the clock ;)

Wait until you have played with the type I like to call ANZACS, they have a minute silence before each shot :roll:

swanny
28th October 2008, 12:41 PM
fg i dont believe u have a problem

oobsadd2
28th October 2008, 12:47 PM
You may be in a similar situation to me, in that you are often longer from the tee than your playing partners. They are able to walk to their ball go through their routine meanwhile you cant get to your ball. Everybody walks to your ball together and you are expected to hit straight away. You should be ready to hit as soon as its your turn, but how can you choose a club, shot etc if you cant get to your ball?

Flowergirl
28th October 2008, 12:57 PM
I just rang our pro who rang Vic golf for me. He was told that the guidlines for the PGA is for the first player the allotted time is 50 secs and for the subsequent players 40 sec.
Good - now I have a starting point.
I really appreciate your input guys.;)
Trouble is that now at the champs my playing partners will be counting under the breaths.:mrgreen:

Bruce
28th October 2008, 12:58 PM
I don't ever remember wishing you would hurry up Reenie - but I am glad you are thinking about it.

I played with 2 absolute snails in the Mid-Am. I timed one guy at a full minute from putting his tee in the ground to pulling the trigger. The other was barely better with 2 practice swings, a half back swing once he had addressed the ball then finally hitting. No wonder we had the marshall on our case all fricken day.

AndyP
28th October 2008, 01:09 PM
However - I KNOW that I like to spend a bit of time when I am having my shot. I have a set routine I like to follow. I line up the ball, set myself up, take ONE practice swing then hit. So what I need to know - and I am being serious ( for once) what is an acceptable amount of time to spend over your shot. I am not a person who can just walk up to the ball and hit it - however I would like to speed up my routine.Some people like to judge the pace of your play solely on the time you spend over the ball, and don't take into account the other factors. It's important to get your set up and mind right before playing a shot, even if it means pulling away and starting again.

virge666
28th October 2008, 01:36 PM
FWIW, it is rarely the amount of time you spend over the ball. it is usually the time it takes to get to your ball and all the faffing about BEFORE you get to the ball.

Add to that that most high markers hit more shots than lower markers... the whole get to the ball, choose a club, setup, address and execution is usually the reason we like higher markers to tee off a bit later in the day.

There are exceptions to the rule on both sides of the arguement, but if you have 95 shots in the round . . you are going to play slower than someone who has 75 shots a round, unless of course you name is Ben Crane.

This is a general service announcement... not an invitiation for everyone to tell us that even though they play of 25, they still get around in 2 hours and 10 minutes. As i said - it is a general rule.

If you want to play quickly - just get to your ball and be ready to play your shot when it is your turn, I wouldn't worry about how long you spend over the ball.

Enjoy

Webster
28th October 2008, 01:41 PM
Although I do not wish to generalise, I find that women and high handicappers (ie 10 and above) are the worst slow play offenders. Flowergirl, if you fall into one, or worse, both of the categories then you will need to play faster. Additionally, those playing Tour clubs (especially drivers) are also a problem, frequently taking forever to line up the "square face angles" of their drivers to the target line, only to slice hopelessly into the right hand rough and of course not watching where their Pro V1X has gone. Just disgraceful.

Enjoy your game people, but please do it quickly.

Jack.

Flowergirl
28th October 2008, 01:49 PM
Again - thanks for your input guys.

I just chatted to an old guy that has been playing for years. He used to be off scratch. I have played a few rounds with him and he has been able to give me a lot of help with my game.
I talked to him about my pace of play and he agreed with what you guys are saying. It's not the time over the ball that is the main problem it's those other areas discussed that causes the problem. He told me I have nothing to worry about and that I am quicker than most of the guys he plays with.
I still will get John to put the timer on me tonight when we have a hit.

And Jack - I am a female and a high handicapper - but I don't use a tour club so 2 out of 3 isn't too bad.;)

oobsadd2
28th October 2008, 01:54 PM
If you want to play quickly - just get to your ball and be ready to play your shot when it is your turn, I wouldn't worry about how long you spend over the ball.

Enjoy

That is the essential truth of it, well said

Dazza
28th October 2008, 02:15 PM
My wife takes her time when on the green, but I've seen others that take a lot longer to putt.
She can't see a whole lot, so she needs to walk up to the hole & back to her ball. Gives her a better idea of how far she is from the hole, and also the break in the green (If any) I also give her a hand to read it & I also help out with her club selection along the way .(Is that against the rules?)

Other than that she plays at the same pace as the rest of us.

Fishman Dan
28th October 2008, 02:30 PM
If you're concerned about pre-shot routine antics taking time, start them earlier. If you're not directly in the view of the person playing their shot, start your routine as they are commencing their swing. Might only be 5-10 seconds earlier, but it makes a little difference.

I think the major concern is the wait between the previous shot and the start of the next players pre-shot routine.

PeteyD
28th October 2008, 02:39 PM
Not watching your ball until it stops. Searching for balls (particularly if more than1 person) takes up a heap of time.

sms316
28th October 2008, 02:43 PM
Have you considered shortening your pre-shot routine? Anything pushing 40 seconds is a joke, regardless of what the PGA law states.

schanop
28th October 2008, 02:54 PM
I like to take a bit of a time at the ball deciding how to play a shot. So, in order to get around that part of slowness, I just try to get to my ball quickly after hitting the previous shot, and then I will have enough time to do my own thing.

sms316
28th October 2008, 03:03 PM
90 shots (for example) at 40 seconds per shot equals 1 hour of standing around doing nothing.

PeteyD
28th October 2008, 03:50 PM
1 hour of playing golf and 4 hours of wandering around aimlessly.

Courty
28th October 2008, 05:08 PM
FG, as I recall from when we played at Moonah Links, you have no problems with your speed of play/ pre-shot routine etc.

And stereotyping about women & high-handicappers is bullshit. The most notorious slow-players at my club are all low single figure players (fwiw, they don;t use tour clubs either). :roll:

Flowergirl
28th October 2008, 05:10 PM
FG, as I recall from when we played at Moonah Links, you have no problems with your speed of play/ pre-shot routine etc.

Well there you go. That was one game that always did concern me. Thanks :mrgreen:

oobsadd2
28th October 2008, 05:20 PM
90 shots (for example) at 40 seconds per shot equals 1 hour of standing around doing nothing.

I actually consider the 40 seconds pre shot routine critical to a good golf shot. Sure the yardage, club and type of shot should be determined before its your turn to play. But setting yourself, visualising and feeling the shot is what golf is about.

Minor_Threat
28th October 2008, 05:26 PM
40 seconds is way too much time in my opinion providing you have done your yardage beforehand.

I am a very fast player myself and get frustrated with slow players, there is no reason in the world why a person cant hit the ball within 20 seconds once it is there shot.

I think putting is a different kettle of fish and am happy for someone to take more time whilst on the green.

Grunt
28th October 2008, 05:34 PM
I reckon I could play better if I slowed down a little but I find myself walking to my ball once i know all others know where theirs are and I am almost all times ready to hit as soon as they hit.

LarryLong
28th October 2008, 05:37 PM
I think they should change the rule so that you're allowed to start sledging after 30 seconds, and anything goes after 45. :)

Didn't I read somewhere that the pros were taking well over 5 hours to get around during the British Open?

sms316
28th October 2008, 05:40 PM
I would have no problem "doing a Sabbatini" if I was drawn with a slow freak in a tournament (especially match play).

AndyP
28th October 2008, 07:25 PM
I think putting is a different kettle of fish and am happy for someone to take more time whilst on the green.
Why do you think putting is different?

Minor_Threat
28th October 2008, 07:34 PM
Why do you think putting is different?

Because it is more precise and requires more / better input to achieve a decent output..

swanny
30th October 2008, 02:20 PM
well there you have it i played behind 3 single figure markers yesterday and they took 4 hrs 45 to play 18. (maybe its not the high handicapper after all that is responsible for slow play)

By the way i don't think handicap has anything to do with slow play its just the individual who doesn't care or is to rude to even try and pick up the pace when asked.

Our club has just introduced a new policy and i reckon good on them.

1st warning verbal
2nd warning a letter
3rd time suspension.

Eag's
30th October 2008, 02:38 PM
I have played with heaps of low markers over the last 20 years and they can be just as bloody slow as anyone :roll:
We used to have one bloke in our club who we nicknamed twitchy because he would have at least 20 looks at the whole before every shot :smt108
Have you ever watched Olazabal's shot routine? this muppet would take double the amount of looks.

kev
30th October 2008, 03:12 PM
Well there you go. That was one game that always did concern me. Thanks :mrgreen:

Nah, that was my fault losing all those balls... :oops:

Webster
30th October 2008, 03:17 PM
swanny, the real reason for slow play is that nobody thinks they play slow, when in fact most people are.

PeteyD
30th October 2008, 03:36 PM
It's like the everyone thinks they are an above average driver syndrome

Sydney Hacker
30th October 2008, 03:42 PM
I have played with heaps of low markers over the last 20 years and they can be just as bloody slow as anyone :roll:
We used to have one bloke in our club who we nicknamed twitchy because he would have at least 20 looks at the whole before every shot :smt108
Have you ever watched Olazabal's shot routine? this muppet would take double the amount of looks.

Fishman will confirm we have a guy in our club who is the same. He is the classic ANZAC golfer, a minutes silence before each and every shot.

Webster
30th October 2008, 03:43 PM
How long should it take to get around Palm Meadows next week in Carts?

sms316
30th October 2008, 03:47 PM
About 10 cans...

Jarro
30th October 2008, 04:26 PM
About 10 cans...

.. of what ? Spam ??

damoocow
30th October 2008, 11:44 PM
How long should it take to get around Palm Meadows next week in Carts?

I absolutely hate golf carts [actually the only thing I used to like about RQ was that you needed a medical certificate to use a cart] - is there the option to walk PM ?

PeteyD
31st October 2008, 06:36 AM
Unfortunately not Moocow.

AndyP
31st October 2008, 08:43 AM
Surely we can make our own rule to allow walking.

peter_rs
31st October 2008, 08:59 AM
it doesn't make the golf any cheaper.

markTHEblake
31st October 2008, 11:14 AM
is there the option to walk PM ?

No, but I recommend sharing a cart with Bruce, and you will be walking soon enough.

poidda
16th March 2009, 01:59 PM
*bump*

After playing a few rounds in America over the last couple of weeks, I found it interesting that all rounds were pretty much on the 4 hour mark. A little longer, but not much. And on a couple of tough courses as well. I later found out that a lot of the courses use a 3 strikes and your out rule.

First Warning
If you're lagging behind the group in front you will be warned by the Marshall to hurry up, and your expected to catch up to the group in front how ever way you want.

Second Warning
If you're warned again, you gotta pick up your balls and catch up to the group in front skipping as many holes as you need.

Third Warning
Gone. You've been warned twice. You have no excuse to be lagging behind. Thanks for coming.

This is exactly was Australia needs to give everyone a hurry up.

BrisVegas
16th March 2009, 02:02 PM
sounds like a good system, assuming the first groups out on the day play a good pace.

poidda
16th March 2009, 02:08 PM
sounds like a good system, assuming the first groups out on the day play a good pace.

Yeah I asked the same thing, and was told they are on the clock. We were told it works well. Some people take their time over putts, others have 100s, and then there's those that love a chat. It doesn't matter if you're slow in some parts of your game, as long as as a group you make up for it in other ways.

We even asked about comps, and they said if a group is told to pick up and catch up to the group in front, than they will be dq'd. And 95% of people will only be dq'd once before they get the idea.

senecio
16th March 2009, 02:13 PM

Its not very often that the first group of the day will be slow. We have a regular four ball that tee off at 6am on the 1st every week. They generally get around the front nine in under 90 mins.

As a result they have 40 mins for breakfast in the club house before the morning field is away off the 10th.