PDA

View Full Version : Yardage book for the champs

GC
28th October 2008, 09:35 AM
Any one have a yardage book for the champs? be good if they could scan it and put it up for us to have a look at.

PeteyD
28th October 2008, 09:55 AM
Get with the times and download the GPS data ;)

AndyP
28th October 2008, 09:59 AM
http://maps.google.com

GC
28th October 2008, 10:17 AM
Thanks g69 it's great to feel the love!

Eag's
28th October 2008, 10:49 AM
GC..the question needs to be asked....that lass in your avatar, is it a random chick pic or someone you know ?

You mean the one that has just vanished ;)

GC
28th October 2008, 11:34 AM
g69, I wish my misses look like that, the beer would just be a bonus.

sms316
28th October 2008, 12:58 PM
I have one but won't be sharing it with NSW scum.
That'd be right...

Just like Wokka's shirt.

Courty
28th October 2008, 04:03 PM
I've already downloaded the course data into the GPS. 8)

Grunt
28th October 2008, 04:08 PM
I have done it on Intelligolf using the Course Survey Editor that is linked with google maps. It seems that the Google maps data is not that good around there as I can't zoom in as far as courses in Sydney to log it. I have done so but i think it may be out by a little as a result. I can edit on Saturdays round if it is too far out.

PeteyD
28th October 2008, 05:12 PM
Is it not in the database already?

Grunt
28th October 2008, 05:17 PM
Is it not in the database already?

Not GPS

Grunt
28th October 2008, 05:20 PM
no good when you are miles from the sprinkler heads G69. I sometimes can get a little off track ;)

markTHEblake
28th October 2008, 06:28 PM
If some people are going to be using GPS or any other distance measuring device in the champs which rules am I allowed to break? I am quite happy to throw my ball at least once for every comparative breach. That seems fair.

Grant don't take this personally :-) I am just wondering thats all, cos the rules don't allow their use, and I assume the rules of golf apply to our Competition. We dont want another debacle like last years preferred lies.

Grunt
28th October 2008, 06:58 PM
If someone comes out and says no I won't use the GPS. Most courses down here in Sydney have followed the AGU in allowing there use.

Grunt
28th October 2008, 07:08 PM
Just want someone to say I cant use it then I won't. I will only use the data logging part of the intelligolf program.

PeteyD
28th October 2008, 09:59 PM
Actually you might want to be careful if they are not allowed Grunt. I beleive using them, even if not using the not allowed stuff, is then not allowed. If that makes sense.

I believe the rules allow for their use now Mark, providing a local rule is enforced allowing them ?

markTHEblake
28th October 2008, 10:12 PM
Just want someone to say I cant use it then I won't.
That would be like me saying I am going to use 6" preferred lie unless some says I cant. :-)

Rule X.whatever says you cant use your GPS, nor Virge his fancy binoculars, so nobody needs to say so.

I believe the rules allow for their use now Mark, providing a local rule is enforced allowing them ?

Yes, like any of the example local rules, the Match Committee needs to authorise the use of that rule first. and for that to happen we need a match committee.......

Grunt
29th October 2008, 05:15 AM
Actually you might want to be careful if they are not allowed Grunt. I beleive using them, even if not using the not allowed stuff, is then not allowed. If that makes sense.

What I mean is I won't use the GPS part of it I can switch it off and just use it as stats tracking, would be no different to writing it down. I will just be entering it in a PDA.

PeteyD
29th October 2008, 05:57 AM
I think the rule refers to capability not what you use. You can not use anything that gives slope (elevation etc) regardless of whether you use that feature.

Do we have a match committee?

peter_rs
29th October 2008, 08:04 AM
it was us last year peteyd & MTB :)

PeteyD
29th October 2008, 08:10 AM
ok we will put our heads together and come up with local rules

Left Handers must play right handed? Anyone like that one :D

sms316
29th October 2008, 08:31 AM
Left Handers must play right handed? Anyone like that one :D
Only if you let me play off 20.

BrisVegas
29th October 2008, 08:50 AM
how about those without GPS get to play preferred lie???

Iain
29th October 2008, 08:55 AM
Would preferred lie be much of an advantage at Palm Meadows?

PeteyD
29th October 2008, 09:14 AM
how about those without GPS get to play preferred lie???

Why? Damo doesn't carry 14 clubs, maybe he need some compensation for that ?

dc68
29th October 2008, 09:16 AM
FFS ....

I like post #31.

Easiest option.

Eag's
29th October 2008, 09:46 AM
No GPS..No Preferred lie.
Next question ?

Fine with me, maybe put up a quick post which clearly states what rules will be in place for the Champs? It will nip needless debate in the butt real quick.
We don't want a repeat of the preferred lie rubbish that went on last year.

Maybe something like this :
1.No preferred lies
2.No GPS or PDA's etc..
3.Drop out of bamboo rather than reload (saves time)
4.No sober punters aloud on course ;)

sms316
29th October 2008, 09:48 AM
4.No sober punters aloud on course ;)
Under 0.05 means a loss of 10 points?

PeteyD
29th October 2008, 09:55 AM
OK. There is a plan in me head that at the Group Draw, each group will get a folder / envelope containing their score cards (this year we need a card from everyone please), a sheet with any local rules on it etc so that everyone is clear as to whats happening. To avoid the Prefered lies debacle from last year.

Any reason why GPS should not be allowed?

sms316
29th October 2008, 09:58 AM
Who cares if people use GPS? It is no advantage unless they are on another fairway, which I don't think is really practical at PM anyway.

AndyP
29th October 2008, 10:01 AM
GPS also provides distances to hazards, trees, etc.

Eag's
29th October 2008, 10:02 AM
OK. There is a plan in me head that at the Group Draw, each group will get a folder / envelope containing their score cards (this year we need a card from everyone please), a sheet with any local rules on it etc so that everyone is clear as to whats happening. To avoid the Prefered lies debacle from last year.

Any reason why GPS should not be allowed?

Good idea Pete :smt023
The only reason I feel GPS should not be used is only a few have them so lets just keep it simple and play without them? We didn't need them at KV so see no need this year either.

PeteyD
29th October 2008, 10:21 AM
GPS also provides distances to hazards, trees, etc.

And this is different to a yardage book how?

AndyP
29th October 2008, 10:31 AM
Who has a yardage book? I don't know what's in PM's yardage book.

andylo
29th October 2008, 10:57 AM
So should we ban the 73* wedge as well?? Not everyone has one.....

PeteyD
29th October 2008, 10:59 AM
I think there are a fair number of people with GPS units.

Rusty
29th October 2008, 11:03 AM
so let me see - most of those without dmds (distance measuring devices) will vote "no" dmds allowed (until they realise just how hard it it is to stop from asking "hey just quickly, how far does that gadget say that is away"). and all of those with dmds will say emphatically "yes" they must be allowed.

in the end it won't make a difference to the score; it's no difference to a yardage book; it may help the pace of play (no stepping off from markers); lasers will avoid being hit up on coz you'll know exactly how far someone is in front; and it'll add to the enjoyment of the weekend. what's a bitta fun??

PeteyD
29th October 2008, 11:04 AM
the match comittee will decide.

Eag's
29th October 2008, 11:05 AM
So should we ban the 73* wedge as well?? Not everyone has one.....

FFS!! :roll: let's not turn this into a 50 page debate when really it is a simple solution, play golf the way it was meant to be played using just the grey matter between your ears.

Rusty
29th October 2008, 11:11 AM
everyone should play with a standardised hire set and top flite balls.

andylo
29th October 2008, 11:12 AM
everyone should play with a standardised hire set and top flite balls.

I guess you mean hickory sticks and balata ball etc :)

PeteyD
29th October 2008, 11:13 AM
What's wrong with D2's, awesome balls.

PeteyD
29th October 2008, 11:16 AM
What rule?

AndyP
29th October 2008, 11:16 AM
It's pointless mentioning all of the other examples, such as yardage books, wedges, number of clubs, etc, because they are always allowed in the rules.

The DMDs are not, unless there is a local rule covering them.

sms316
29th October 2008, 11:17 AM
Actually they are allowed, unless there is a rule prohibiting them.

andylo
29th October 2008, 11:18 AM

Eag's
29th October 2008, 11:20 AM
the match comittee will decide.

Then do everyone a favor Pete get the committe to make the decision quickly.

PeteyD
29th October 2008, 11:22 AM
From rule 8-1

Information regarding the distance between two objects is public information and not advice. It is therefore permissible for players to exchange information relating to the distance between two objects. For example, a player may ask anyone, including his opponent, fellow-competitor or either of their caddies, the distance between his ball and the hole.
Except when the Local Rule allowing the use of distance-measuring devices has been adopted (see Note to Rule 14-3), information regarding distance must not have been obtained from an artificial device used during the stipulated round. A player who obtains distance information that he knew was measured by anyone with an artificial device during the player’s round is disqualified under Rule 14-3. (Revised)

From 14-3

Yes. A Committee may establish a Local Rule allowing players to use devices that measure or gauge distance only (see the Note to Rule 14-3). However, the use of a distance-measuring device that is designed to gauge or measure other conditions that might affect a player's play (e.g. gradient, wind speed, temperature, etc) is not permitted regardless of whether such an additional function is used.

PeteyD
29th October 2008, 11:22 AM
You'll know prior to the commencement of the competition.

AndyP
29th October 2008, 11:23 AM
Rule 14-3 disagrees with you.

Iain
29th October 2008, 11:26 AM
I thought it had to be a local rule that allowed there use?

It's all well and good saying one in a group will do, but won't that slow things down if 1 person is telling everyone how far it is if they're not close together? Plus I'm not sure every group has someone with one in it? Not sure my group does? Jono, Nudgee, Joebar and myself?

Bruce
29th October 2008, 11:28 AM

Other way round.

Rule 14-3 The Committee may make a Local Rule allowing players to use devices that measure or gauge distance only.

sms316
29th October 2008, 11:43 AM
My bad. I was thinking how the NSWGA has ratified them for all events.

Carry on.

Eag's
29th October 2008, 11:49 AM
Ok, let me set the scene, say GPS's or whatever are allowed on course for the Champs and you have 4 players in contention for the title in the final group. Now only 1 player out of the 4 has access to a GPS and he or she ends up winning, would that bother you? or would you be fine with it?

Like I said in an earlier post, I don't care either way because the device can't help you hit better shots.
It would be a nice change though to see a quick decision made either way so we can move on.

PeteyD
29th October 2008, 11:51 AM
Committees never make quick decisions. I have no problem with the above scenario.

Rusty
29th October 2008, 11:53 AM
well, golf's evolving. that's why PGA allowed (http://www.pga.info/News/40870625.htm) DMDs in all competitions from Jan this year. + NSW GA Standard Conditions for state events, from Sep this year, now allow (http://www.nswga.com.au/html/s02_article/article_view.asp?id=2237&nav_cat_id=273&nav_top_id=55&dsb=3377) their use (except for the NSW Open). local courses that now have the local rule in place include RQ, Indooroopilly, Brisbane GC, Nudgee, Gailes, Windaroo, Carbrook, Nambour & Headland.

IMHO it's only a matter of time before R&A allow their usage in the standard rules (without requiring a club local rule), as even they realise it's getting difficult to distinguish from a yardage book (+ they're trying to speed up play).

it doesn't lesson the skill required to hit the ball.

hey, can i be on the match committee?? :D :-k

andylo
29th October 2008, 11:55 AM
I wouldn't have any problem with the scenario Eag suggested.

I am 100% agree with what Rusty say.

sms316
29th October 2008, 11:59 AM
I'm going to steal g69's yardage book anyway.

henno
29th October 2008, 12:00 PM
I am not playing, but would not have a problem with someone knowing it was exactly 128m to the pin, and then executing a shot to within a foot. I could know the distances to within 1cm of the pin, and it wouldn't help my game a bit :)

sms316
29th October 2008, 12:02 PM
I have one but won't be sharing it with NSW scum.

Don't have one....

Dodgy ****.

Rusty
29th October 2008, 12:05 PM
Ok, let me set the scene, say GPS's or whatever are allowed on course for the Champs and you have 4 players in contention for the title in the final group. Now only 1 player out of the 4 has access to a GPS and he or she ends up winning, would that bother you? or would you be fine with it?

i'd like to see the person with the gps get away with not telling the others the distance if they asked. and of course, for a crucial shot, they will be.
if that person with the gps took the game that seriously i doubt whether they'd keep dry, going past the water in front of the 18th.

since recently getting the gps, i've teed off with people that are so anti-gps going down the first fairway, but then, sure enough, by atleast the 14th, they're asking "hey how far to that? how far to get over that? what's that gadget say". it just can't be helped. mind you, it hasn't stopped me from having 150m to the pin, hitting my shot, then having having 148m to the pin. :-k

but hey, with the above scenario, of course, i'll have the gps, so i don't see a problem with it at all. ;)

sms316
29th October 2008, 12:06 PM
I lied.
Like I'd fork out $8 for a ****ing book...thats a can of jimmy.
$8!!!

So in Qld they took the GST off the petrol and just added it back on to the Jimmy cans?

BrisVegas
29th October 2008, 12:11 PM
has someone in my group got GPS? Its an advantage to have it, that's for sure.

Rusty
29th October 2008, 12:30 PM
hey Eag'sy just thinking further - everyone in the last group on Sunday will have gps anyway :-k

Rusty
29th October 2008, 12:38 PM

i seem to remember something about Virge having a bushnell

BrisVegas
29th October 2008, 12:48 PM
a what now? sounds like he needs to shave it.

haysey
29th October 2008, 02:04 PM

I've got a laser. Relies on real steady hands but and I'm thinking they may be in short supply:D

Edit: Bushnell as well

Scottt
29th October 2008, 02:56 PM
Wow.

I thought the champs was a heap of fun and cameraderie?

sms316
29th October 2008, 02:58 PM
It was until Jack joined.
:mrgreen:

AndyP
29th October 2008, 03:21 PM
It was until these cheats wanted in.

Scottt
29th October 2008, 03:28 PM
For the record, Palm Meadows allows GPS and laser range finders in all its comps...

Jarro
29th October 2008, 03:29 PM
For those that have them, use them ... it's not really that big of a deal :roll:

AndyP
29th October 2008, 03:30 PM
Are you talking about the comps they don't have?

Scottt
29th October 2008, 03:34 PM
Me: Can GPS/Laser range finders be used in comps at your course?
Her: Yes, they can.

GC
29th October 2008, 09:13 PM
The only reason i wanted a yardage book was on some par 5's that have horizontal water, it's good to know the distance to the water when laying up. ( Yes i hit like a girl )

Flowergirl
29th October 2008, 09:42 PM
The only reason i wanted a yardage book was on some par 5's that have horizontal water, it's good to know the distance to the water when laying up. ( Yes i hit like a girl )

So do I.:mrgreen:

shazza_rs
29th October 2008, 09:44 PM

But do you wear a skirt? :mrgreen:

GC
30th October 2008, 08:23 AM
But do you wear a skirt? :mrgreen:
Depends on how much you wanna pay me? :mrgreen:

poidda
31st October 2008, 09:33 AM
We dont want another debacle like last years preferred lies.

Poidda was in charge of that department...just so we're clear.

huh?

PeteyD
31st October 2008, 09:39 AM
Just accept your scape goat status and get on with it. I think he has confused that with the NTP debacle you were responsible for ...

poidda
31st October 2008, 09:50 AM
Just accept your scape goat status and get on with it. I think he has confused that with the NTP debacle you were responsible for ...

ahhhhh the NTP debacle. :roll:

Scottt
31st October 2008, 10:07 AM
NTP debacles, pref lies debacles, grown men whinging about GPS devices... Gee, the champs sound like a whole lot of fun!

PeteyD
31st October 2008, 10:25 AM
Piss off dickhead ;)

BrisVegas
31st October 2008, 10:53 AM
wot peteyd said!

Iain
31st October 2008, 11:16 AM
Indeed....

sms316
31st October 2008, 12:15 PM
NTP debacles, pref lies debacles, grown men whinging about GPS devices... Gee, the champs sound like a whole lot of fun!
You forgot to add whiney Queenslanders with their collective backsides handed to them the day before.

Scottt
31st October 2008, 12:27 PM
What was your result vs NSW? 0 and 4? :lol: You'll fare better as a NSWelshman, SMS!

sms316
31st October 2008, 12:30 PM
What was your result vs NSW? 0 and 4? :lol: You'll fare better as a NSWelshman, SMS!
I got the wrong end of the draw...

However tg and wb deserved to get flogged!

AndyP
31st October 2008, 12:34 PM
Take your wanky SOO talk elsewhere. This thread is about the DMD cheats.