PDA

View Full Version : measuring green speeds??

Coffs_Hacker
26th October 2008, 07:23 AM
Played the Coffs Cup yesterday on prob the fastest greens i have ever played on. Bordering on a joke. 30ft putts where we were tapping the ball and hopeing for the best. Heard afterwards they were 12 in the morn with the dew and prob 13 in the arvo.

Doeas anyone know what these numbers mean??

Grunt
26th October 2008, 07:31 AM
Aren't they stimp readings? I think it is how far a ball rolls off a slope thing on the green measured in feet. So 12 is 12 feet of roll off the stimp meter.

sms316
26th October 2008, 07:34 AM
Correct. 13 is pretty quick, but I wouldn't say ridiculous - unless the greens are very slopey.

Minor_Threat
26th October 2008, 07:40 AM
Yeah they are Stimpmeter results.

you can read all about it here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stimp_meter).

13 is getting up there but I have played on 16 once and that was unplayable. The round was called off that was the 2002 Australian Open at Victoria.

PeteyD
26th October 2008, 07:41 AM
A couple of them are slopey, particularly 9!

JustSneaky
26th October 2008, 12:45 PM
A couple of them are slopey, particularly 9!

And they were not that speedy that day Pete,...eh?

eg. 9th at coffs with moderate wind, medium fast green.I chipped from 15m short of green on slight angle to past the pin by a foot,ball nearly stopped then finshed 5m off the front.Same day CH,had a putt from above the hole over and over couldn't keep in on the green.

How the heell does a ball stay on that green when they're fast??

adlo
26th October 2008, 01:21 PM
I see that courses completely ignore the recommended speeds as suggested by the Wiki article.

Any "good" course with nice greens always has them rolling faster than 10 in my experience. Yet the USGA says 8.5 is fast. Why the obsession with fast greens?

I think greens rolling around 9-10 are as fast as they need to be to have an enjoyable round of golf.

Last time I played very fast greens they were rolling around 12, it was ridiculous. Twice I watched a greenside chip land on the fringe and proceed to roll across the entire green (not even downhill) and into the bunker on the other side. I couldn't have hit them any softer, very frustrating.

I feel like there is a modern obsession with golf courses trying to speed up their greens and increase their length. Soon we'll all be playing 6500m courses with greens rolling at 12.

sms316
27th October 2008, 08:38 AM
Why the obsession with fast greens?
Because bad putters can't putt on fast greens.

Grunt
27th October 2008, 08:42 AM
Because bad putters can't putt on fast greens.
I am the opposite, I can't putt as well on slow greens.

shazza_rs
27th October 2008, 12:24 PM
grunt you can't putt on either ;)

Grunt
27th October 2008, 03:28 PM
grunt you can't putt on either ;)
ok Shazza.

Jarro
27th October 2008, 03:32 PM
I'd prefer greens a little on the faster side than slower.

adlo
27th October 2008, 07:44 PM
I love greens rolling around 10. Slick, true and fun.

11-12 and things start getting silly.

Matt 3 Jab
28th October 2008, 08:42 AM
i played pymble in a vardon and the greens were 11 or 12, cant remember as the prac green was one number and the course another.

It was fun, was like putting on carpet. Back then i could putt though.

I'd rather quick greens than slow, makes missing on the right side important and lets the spin put on the ball work.

BrisVegas
28th October 2008, 08:58 AM
Depends on the course. I like slick greens on relatively modest greens. When the greens have got buried elephants in em and false fronts (are you listening Pac Harbour & Brookwater ?) I like the greens a bit slower, prob around a 9.

Craig_Syd
30th October 2008, 11:14 AM
When I played the greens were well above 12, and while anything downhill or major slope was very difficult overall it made the round allot more enjoyable. Personally I like fast/true greens for the fact that if you pick a line and are confident all you have to worry about is your stroke and not how hard you have to hit it. Kind of like putting downhill on normal speed greens where all you worry about is the line and not getting it to the hole.

Eag's
30th October 2008, 12:26 PM
When I played Augusta the greens were well above 12, and while anything downhill or major slope was very difficult overall it made the round allot more enjoyable. Personally I like fast/true greens for the fact that if you pick a line and are confident all you have to worry about is your stroke and not how hard you have to hit it. Kind of like putting downhill on normal speed greens where all you worry about is the line and not getting it to the hole.

How the **** did you get to play Augusta?? you lucky bastard :shock:

Craig_Syd
31st October 2008, 11:41 AM
As discussed.

PeteyD
2nd November 2008, 07:10 AM
Sure sure. Come to the champs, we need someone to hit! ;)