PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Test

Fishman Dan
26th November 2004, 10:33 AM
4 off the first ball. 3 off the second. Hope that 37* heat doesn't melt the New Zealanders before the end of the first day!

They've taken 2 spinners into arguably Australia's flattest wicket, with the shortest boundaries square of the wicket anywhere in the world. Who makes these decisions? Is Flemming still being pursued by dodgy bookmakers (i mean, 'mystery illnesses' :roll:).

AndyP
26th November 2004, 10:40 AM
Another four boundaries in the 2nd over.

Langer 23 (9)
0/27 (2.0)

Regardless of this start, you would still think that the Aussies might only have to bat once in this test. You would expect them to amass a pretty big total in Adelaide.

Fishman Dan
26th November 2004, 01:17 PM
At 0/88 Hayden and Langer became the 3rd opening partnership to amass 4000 runs.

Not sure of how many of you are listening to ABC radio, but how many of you can guess who positions 1 and 2 are?

Ducky
26th November 2004, 04:32 PM
As soon as I saw Martyn in with the two spin bowlers on, I was worried that he wouldn't make it past ten runs. The next over he gets out for seven. Doh!

:shock:

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

Jarro
26th November 2004, 04:46 PM
another great knock by Langer. the man certainly is in form at the moment 8)

how about the reception Boof got when he made his way out to the middle ... great stuff :)

Fishman Dan
26th November 2004, 05:13 PM
ABC radio are having a field day on Franklin. And as i pack up to leave work, Langer has easily worked.... hang on, that makes 4 consecutive boundaries. In fact, 6 4's off 9 balls from Franklin.

In all of that Langer has brought up 1000 runs in a calender year - first time he's done that!

Good use of the 2nd new ball!

Jarro
26th November 2004, 05:17 PM
man they are just tonking these poor kiwi saps all over the place at the moment :roll: pretty poor bowling really .. especially when Lehman "walks" across his stumps even before the ball is bowled :?

Langer just looks really comfy at the moment 8)

markTHEblake
26th November 2004, 05:30 PM
Not sure of how many of you are listening to ABC radio, but how many of you can guess who positions 1 and 2 are?

Greenidge / Haynes?

I have seen this stat before- all i remember is that Bradman wasnt one of them.

Fishman Dan
26th November 2004, 05:39 PM

Greenidge / Haynes?

I have seen this stat before- all i remember is that Bradman wasnt one of them.

Thanks Blakey. That was the easy one though.

1. Greenidge / Haynes (6000+ runs)
2. ?????
3. Hayden / Langer

terryand
26th November 2004, 05:54 PM
Boon and Marsh?

Terry.

Jarro
26th November 2004, 06:06 PM
At 0/88 Hayden and Langer became the 3rd opening partnership to amass 4000 runs.

position 2 was Marvin Atapattu & Sanath Jayasuriya with 4136 Test runs at an average of 41.36

markTHEblake
26th November 2004, 06:34 PM
You idiot jarro, anyone could have gone to Cricinfo or Google and looked that up.

Fishman Dan
26th November 2004, 07:37 PM
You idiot jarro, anyone could have gone to Cricinfo or Google and looked that up.

:smt042 :smt043

Well he's right. They made it easier on the radio too, giving the hint that it's a current partnership. Roebuck had the same first guess as me - Trescothick and Vaughan, but not even i believed that.

Don't know what Hayden / Langer's average is, but surely better than 41.36.

Jarro
26th November 2004, 07:47 PM

i only had to check to see how many actual runs they made .... i knew they were 2nd though.

you're a dummy Blake.

AndyP
26th November 2004, 09:10 PM
The runs seemed to come slow today, but the boundaries and big scoring overs seemed to keep the score flowing.

McMw
27th November 2004, 10:08 AM
so...wadya recokn.... :wink:

a duck for our new batting star???

surely the pressure must be on after an impressive knock in the last test match???

McMw
27th November 2004, 01:24 PM
hey....whoever it is that keeps baggin Langer (and Marto) should keep doing so... :wink:

AndyP
27th November 2004, 04:12 PM
I'm thrilled to bits over The gnome's double century. :roll:
He can go back to scoring in 20s and 30s now, as he has secured his place in the side for another year.

Bit of pressure on Kasprowicz now. He's the only player in the team to have not scored a half century in the two tests. :shock:

McMw
27th November 2004, 08:07 PM
booo......our batting star didn't even get a chance to bat....BOOOOO.....

Fishman Dan
27th November 2004, 10:09 PM
Ponting's captaincy is pretty ordinary - 400 runs to play with and no one under the batsmen's nose from the get-go?

Jarro
28th November 2004, 05:45 AM
reading todays paper, Daniel Vettori says the Kiwis can still win this test :shock:

.. even though they're 2 wickets down and 519 runs behind :roll:

AndyP
28th November 2004, 10:42 AM
Ponting's captaincy is pretty ordinary - 400 runs to play with and no one under the batsmen's nose from the get-go?
He doesn't seem to be a very aggressive captain, does he? Go for the kill, I say.

reading todays paper, Daniel Vettori says the Kiwis can still win this test :shock:

.. even though they're 2 wickets down and 519 runs behind :roll:
At least that's the right attitude (not that they have a chance).

Jarro
28th November 2004, 04:07 PM
they're currently 9/242 ... more than i thought they'd make :?

still can't see them winning it though.

Fishman Dan
28th November 2004, 06:35 PM
I'll give Ponting the benefit of the doubt here, and say that we're batting again because he's resting the bowlers. It's been pretty hot over there.

AndyP
28th November 2004, 07:04 PM
they're currently 9/242 ... more than i thought they'd make :?
It is a batter's deck (not that they have any :wink: ), so it's hardly a high score.

Test has been pretty boring in my opinion. :smt102

McMw
28th November 2004, 07:38 PM
should ponting have enforced the follow on???

Jarro
28th November 2004, 08:02 PM

I think he should have :?

McMw
28th November 2004, 08:04 PM
guess they still got India in the back of their mind...

fair enuff if they don't enforce the follow on outside Aus....but they should have here IMO...

well...just gives Clarke another opp to add more runs to his impressive tally I guess... :D

how's the pitch holding up??? Warney gonna be a factor on the last day???

Fishman Dan
28th November 2004, 08:19 PM

I think he should have :?

Yep, definately should have. They will get themselves into a state of mind that they can never do it. If they wanted to break that hoodoo, no better chance than now.

Another strike against Ponting's captaincy ;)

AndyP
28th November 2004, 08:24 PM
Warney gonna be a factor on the last day???
He's always a factor, but yes the pitch is starting to become spin friendly.

This would have been a factor in Ponting's decision. I'm sure he doesn't mind having a bowl at the Kiwis on a fifth day pitch.

Still I think Ponting probably should have sent them back in. I don't think the Aussie bowlers have spent that much time out in the sun.

damoocow
28th November 2004, 09:28 PM
watched some of this today and noticed that Gillespie and McGrath both bowled with bent arms - isn't that chucking ? - and how come Mr Clean , Adam Gilhypocrist didn't have a lengthy 'higher than thou' chat with them ?

damoocow

Fishman Dan
28th November 2004, 10:08 PM
You are allowed to bend 12* (i think?). Murali bends something like 18+, more for the doosra.

You can't stir $hit here Damo without researching first ;)

damoocow
28th November 2004, 10:13 PM
are you calling me a stirrer ? - if only you knew the real me ,
damoocow

markTHEblake
28th November 2004, 10:22 PM
Ponting didnt enforce the follow on, so that Hayden could score the 10 runs he needed for the 4th consecutive 1000 in a year.

Just like he said didnt declare overnight so that Gillespie could get his century the next morning in the 1st test.

Funny that after he bagged the clappers out of Brian Lara for batting to 400 - saying that no individual record for anyone in his side would come before the team.

markTHEblake
28th November 2004, 10:28 PM
You are allowed to bend 12* (i think?). Murali bends something like 18+, more for the doosra.

his doosra was 14, other deliveries are around 10. Irony that the recent report declaring many other bowlers are worse than that.

I always thought that Mgraths action looked suspect, but the stupid thing is, that i cant imagine why someone would 'chuck',. i have tried it and its bloody hard to do.

goughy
29th November 2004, 06:56 AM
I saw something about this not long ago. There are different allowable degrees depending on the type of bowler. It's something like 15* for fast, 10* for medium and 5* for spin. Or it could be the other way around. Either way I think muirili's a chucker, but since nothing is ever gonna be done about it it's time to get past it and just bat him out of the game.

AndyP
29th November 2004, 08:18 AM
Ponting didnt enforce the follow on, so that Hayden could score the 10 runs he needed for the 4th consecutive 1000 in a year.
Don't be stupid. :roll:
There is still two more tests this calendar year. One at the WACA, and the Boxing Day Test.

Just like he said didnt declare overnight so that Gillespie could get his century the next morning in the 1st test.

Funny that after he bagged the clappers out of Brian Lara for batting to 400 - saying that no individual record for anyone in his side would come before the team.
It was a half century, and it was only the beginning of the fourth day, so there was plenty of time to get the Kiwis out.
As there will be this time.

Difference is that Australia won. The West Indies didn't.

McMw
29th November 2004, 08:51 AM
I always thought that Mgraths action looked suspect, but the stupid thing is, that i cant imagine why someone would 'chuck',. i have tried it and its bloody hard to do.

I don't think they "purposely" chuck....it's just the way their action is at delivery...

markTHEblake
29th November 2004, 11:55 AM
It's something like 15* for fast, 10* for medium and 5* for spin.

Goughy - are you out of the loop? :-) Thats close enough to the old law, it was changed a couple of weeks ago to 15 degree for all bowlers.

Based on some of the other posts, i think some dont know what chucking is.. Its bowling with a bent elbow, and then straightening it. for example Warne always bowls with a bent arm , but he doesnt straighten it at all (apparently impossible for a wrist spinner to chuck).

Murili also is able to bend his arm way past straight, called hyperextension. part of the overall issue with him, particularily ffrom a visual perspective is that the rules dont suggest that hyperextending (on its own) is throwing.

markTHEblake
29th November 2004, 11:57 AM
It was a half century, and it was only the beginning of the fourth day, so there was plenty of time to get the Kiwis out.
As there will be this time.

cant argue with his quotes.

AndyP
29th November 2004, 11:58 AM
It's something like 15* for fast, 10* for medium and 5* for spin.
Goughy - are you out of the loop? :-) Thats close enough to the old law, it was changed a couple of weeks ago to 15 degree for all bowlers.
Wrong.
There wasn't a rule change, there were some suggestions from a review board of some sort.
The ICC has not implemented anything yet, as far as I know.

AndyP
29th November 2004, 03:03 PM
Golf again tomorrow for the lads?

NZ 4/34

McMw
29th November 2004, 03:33 PM
could get a late tee off in the arvo I reckon... :wink:

McMw
30th November 2004, 02:27 PM
so...all over....and Langer with the Man of the match...

but why did they give the man of the series out so early???
isn't this a 4 test match series??? what did I miss???

Fishman Dan
30th November 2004, 02:30 PM
so...all over....and Langer with the Man of the match...

but why did they give the man of the series out so early???
isn't this a 4 test match series??? what did I miss???

For some reason this was a 2-test series. Pakistan just arrived for their test series starting later on. Australia and NZ now play 3 x 1-day games.

The normal triangular 1-day tournament will be with Pakistan and the Windies - should they decide to come.

McMw
30th November 2004, 02:31 PM
thanks for the update FD.... :D

is this the norm now??? 2 test series??? :roll:

Fishman Dan
30th November 2004, 02:38 PM
thanks for the update FD.... :D

is this the norm now??? 2 test series??? :roll:

I hope not. I wasn't a fan of the 3-test series, we were always blessed with 5-test series here.

Under the new home-and-away test series rules (for the world rankings table), Australia will play 5-test series against England and the West Indies only.

AndyP
30th November 2004, 02:52 PM
NZ will be hosting Australia early in the new year in a three test series.

I have read that if the Windies don't make it, that their possible replacements include India, Kenya and Australia A.

I would think that they will try to avoid playing Australia A again.

McMw
30th November 2004, 03:44 PM
rather see Aus vs AusA than to see Aus vs Kenya...to be honest...

AndyP
30th November 2004, 03:46 PM
rather see Aus vs AusA than to see Aus vs Kenya...to be honest...
The problem last time, was that most people were supporting Aust A, because they were the underdog, and they performed very well against the "senior" side, making the finals against them.

Besides the international exposure for the younger players, it wasn't great for Australian cricket.

McMw
30th November 2004, 03:53 PM
I know....AusA threw themselves at every game against the senior side...it was fun to watch!!! :D

nothing wrong with a bit of agro amongst mates... :lol:

Fishman Dan
30th November 2004, 04:02 PM
NZ will be hosting Australia early in the new year in a three test series.

I have read that if the Windies don't make it, that their possible replacements include India, Kenya and Australia A.

I would think that they will try to avoid playing Australia A again.

I don't think Kenya would be a tragedy, most of the games are sold out already anyway. They need to improve to remain in the top flight, and what better way than to play the best teams in the world? We'd rather see the Windies, but is anyone expecting any more from them than Kenya will provide? Besides, with the Paki's here there's every chance they'll throw one of their games against the African nation ;)

This article is the best i've seen to describe our test team;

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/NOV/114027_AUS_29NOV2004.html