PDA

View Full Version : Cricketing Disgrace - South Africa

Fishman Dan
25th November 2004, 12:35 PM
Sth Africa - 9/510 and 4/169 draw with India 466

Sth Africa's first innings took 190 overs. India nearly matched them in 135 overs.

Hall opened for Sth Africa, and scored 163 off 454 balls, 569 minutes. Considering he "hit" (most likely edged?) 17 x 4's - that makes it 97 runs scored off 437 balls.
Sehwag opens for India, scored 164 off 228 balls, 328 minutes.

Somehow they've awarded Hall with man of the match for being the most boring test cricketer since christ was a cowboy. Is there any wonder that a test match in Sth Africa attracts less fans than an NSW vs TAS Pura Cup fixture?

So Sth Africa batted India out of the match by staying the crease for over 2 days, which is a shame because their pie-chuckers couldn't take 20 wickets against a class team like the Indians.

For what it's worth, Tendulkar failed again with 3.

AndyP
25th November 2004, 12:53 PM
Just when you think the Aussies have changed the way test cricket is played, you see a boring draw like this. :smt011

South Africa seem to have really gone downhill from a few years ago.

Fishy, do you know if South Africa are defending a trophy or something?
How many tests in this series?

Fishman Dan
25th November 2004, 12:58 PM
I was thinking the same AP - Sth Africa must hold the trophy if they think they can do this for an entire series..

Bruce
25th November 2004, 01:00 PM
A 2 test tour.

One of the touring party (not a player) even explicitly stated that their aim for the tour was to have 2 draws.

Pathetic.

The pitch must also bear some blame. The worst kind of sub-continent feather bed.

Jarro
25th November 2004, 02:56 PM
A 2 test tour.

One of the touring party (not a player) even explicitly stated that their aim for the tour was to have 2 draws.

.. and here is where the problem lies. You still have countries that are only interested in drawing a test series to retain the cup/trophy/whatever.

rules have to be changed to encourage teams to actually have to win matches outright, instead of simply holding on for a draw. I might be biased but i think the Aussies have really shown the way test cricket should be played ... attack from the outset and never go into your shell.

AndyP
25th November 2004, 03:30 PM
rules have to be changed to encourage teams to actually have to win matches outright, instead of simply holding on for a draw. I might be biased but i think the Aussies have really shown the way test cricket should be played ... attack from the outset and never go into your shell.
Hang on, you were one of the knobs calling a draw early in the last test. :P

The South African captain said he was happy with their form, and is expecting a result in the next match. :roll:

I looked up the result of the last series, which was in South Africa. One match, which wasn't counted as a test match by the ICC, but as a friendly. I didn't look into the circumstances too much, and I can't recall what happened. :?
South Africa won easily BTW.

Fishman Dan
25th November 2004, 03:32 PM
I think the previous test was part of a series that was cancelled? There was all sorts of hoo-haa, but i think the touring team ended up going home early and the series called off?

Jarro
25th November 2004, 03:34 PM
Hang on, you were one of the knobs calling a draw early in the last test. :P

that's right.. because i thought the kiwis might have shut up shop.

just because i called it doesn't mean i like it :P

McMw
25th November 2004, 04:44 PM
who cares abt what SA do??? :roll:

Fishman Dan
25th November 2004, 07:36 PM
who cares abt what SA do??? :roll:

Mau, when SA came back into the game after being banished from international competition during the apartheid years, they were full of talent. For years they were a tough team and could match it with anyone at the international level. In fact their first competitive delivery in a 1-day international was at the World Cup, and it should have been a wicket (Geoff Marsh), caught behind. The only person in the world who didn't see it was the umpire.

To see them playing negative cricket these days is a shame for the game around the world, and for their home country who can't be inspired by what they are seeing. Politics unfortunately have played their part in the game in South Africa. No one turns up to test matches, which is urguably the purest form of the game, and for 5 days of cricket means revenue for Cricket SA.

It was Harsha (poor spelling i know, not attempting his surname) who said that the cricket administration of any country is directly indicative of their teams form: Australia have a fantastic administration, and play accordingly. England have rebuilt and are on the way up, India can fire their entire selection panel overnight, and we saw recently can be brilliant one day, and terrible the next. SA, Zimbabwe and the Windies are in turmoil, and play their cricket that way.

McMw
26th November 2004, 12:42 PM
the current SA team can't compare with the team of 4-5-6 years ago....

it should be a rebuilding period for the SA team...
they should come allright by the end of 2005...

but yeah....from a team that was so full of itself, to a team now playing out for a tame draw (one off perhaps??)...makes for great telly watching... :roll:

Andrew
26th November 2004, 12:46 PM
I agree that playing for a draw from the outset is pretty poor, but India were not good enough to get them out.

This sort of test cricket is not played much these days, so I don't think we have much to worry about. Of course, we also don't want to condone it for fear of seeing more of it.

Australia don't generally let teams get away with tactics like that.

Fishman Dan
26th November 2004, 12:59 PM
I agree that playing for a draw from the outset is pretty poor, but India were not good enough to get them out.

That in itself is true, however this pitch must have resembled a highway. But that's why i drew the comparison at the start of the thread - India matched their score in 55 less overs - that's more than 1/2 a days play.

No problems with piling on 600 runs, but if you can do that in the best part of 2 days there's still a door open for a result.

Andrew
26th November 2004, 02:59 PM
Dan,

Last week on TV, they were talking about the highest score by a number 10. An English batsman has the record. They showed the score card. The team were all out for 396 runs off 194 overs :shock: Ian Healy said, "That must have been exciting."

The thing was, it was in 1884. Look how far the game has come. :roll: