PDA

View Full Version : Week commencing 13 October 2008

welshy
13th October 2008, 07:04 PM
Social round today but just need to share :) After shooting absolute rubbish on the weekend in club champs I thought I would have a 9 hole hit today... 3 over (39) off the stick for the 9 - kept going and carded a 80/57 - was bloody great 33 putts and 4 lipped - could have been a lot better - but lowest ever round :D

Grunt
13th October 2008, 07:05 PM
Good work yet again Welshy.

Scottt
13th October 2008, 07:10 PM
Will you make it to scratch in time to turn pro for this summer's Aussie PGA Tour, Welshy?

welshy
13th October 2008, 09:16 PM
Will you make it to scratch in time to turn pro for this summer's Aussie PGA Tour, Welshy?

:razz: will be happy if I get below 18.

Flowergirl
14th October 2008, 08:25 AM
Played at Sandhurst yesterday and the bubble has burst!! After playing well for the past few games the wheels fell off. Drives went left most of the day and even though I played some great irons onto the greens I couldn't get ANYTHING to stop. Took me far to long to realise that the course wasn't going to change to suit my game - so I finally changed my game to suit the course.
A pathetic 23 points.:oops:

I shall play better tomoorow.

I did enjoy the course though and would love to have another go at it and play with a bit of intelligence.

Bruce
14th October 2008, 09:10 AM
Which of the Sandhurst courses Reenie?

I'm playing there next week in the Mid-Amateur.

Flowergirl
14th October 2008, 09:18 AM
The Champions ( or is it Legands:oops:).
Keep out of the rough. Very long and my ball found tussocks all day. Don't try lob shots onto the green - they just don't stick. Or maybe they had just been sanded. Don't know. Chip and run is the way to go.

However the greens were great to putt on. What you saw was what you got.

Lots of fairway bunkers. Would be really good to have a course guide. I never could tell if they were in range off the tee. Think this contributed to my bad driving.

Lots of swales and false fronts around the greens.

Good luck and enjoy. As I said a great course and I would love to play it again.

JustSneaky
14th October 2008, 02:28 PM
Played Sawtell stab. for the first time for sum years,.. interesting layout.

5 over after 5 holes not what I had planned,however ended up sneaking around the last 13 holes 2 over for 35pts Ino complain,...even with no short game.

Coffs_Hacker
14th October 2008, 10:22 PM
payed sawtell with peteyd and sneaky. 33 pts. pretty crap really 4wipes and 4 1ptrs. Did manage to birdie the same hole twice (only 9holes open for coring). Been rather poor off the tee of late. maybe some hoing might cure it.

6fir
8gir
35putts
2birds

PeteyD
15th October 2008, 06:10 AM
33 pts for me too. only 28 putts, including a brain fart 3 jab on the 17th. still hopelessly inconsistant off the tee. 3 more weeks to get it sorted out :D

Flowergirl
15th October 2008, 06:50 AM
33 pts for me too. only 28 putts, including a brain fart 3 jab on the 17th. still hopelessly inconsistant off the tee. 3 more weeks to get it sorted out :D

Swing your shoulders - let the ball get in the way. Your hands know where they should be so just trust them to connect properly. Well - that's what my swing thoughts are going to be today:mrgreen:

Good putting though.:mrgreen:

AndyP
15th October 2008, 09:02 PM
15/10/2008, Katherine Country Club, Social 9 holes.

6 pars.
2 bogeys.
1 double (didn't have much idea where the green or flag was).
Score 40 nett 34 (Par 36 ACR 69/2)

There was zero trouble around the greens, which is always helpful for me with the amount of greens I miss. That said, my striking with the irons is still going well, but I just didn't get the length right very often.

Next round: I was going to play the comp at RAAF Tindal on Saturday, like I did last time I was here, but I saw a flyer for a 4-man ambrose at Pine Creek. I might investigate that.

Scottt
16th October 2008, 11:49 AM
Played at Ashlar with Matt and Virge today.

Good day for golf!

38pts (21/17)
2 birds
9 pars
6 bogeys
1 triple

5/13 fairways
12/18 greens
34 putts (9 lipouts :()
1/6 U&Ds

I won't ruin the suspense... it's worth the wait...

Matt 3 Jab
16th October 2008, 12:11 PM
As scott said, played ashlar.

didnt hit the ball well, i did and i didnt, but overall the putting saved me, shock horror.

2 fairways

10 greens

29 putts

39 points

i really need a solid swing key, im swinging it 10 different ways a round.

Virg and scott both hit it well.

Scottt
16th October 2008, 12:17 PM
A bloke in the clubhouse after reckons it rated 2-over a fortnight ago on Thursday. Hope it does again!!

Matt 3 Jab
16th October 2008, 12:20 PM
me too, but i dont think my change of number will go into golflink

Scottt
16th October 2008, 12:26 PM
I'd ring them this afternoon around 5ish before they finalise the comp and try to get onto the guy doing the cards.

If they don't/won't change, you'll probably have to get the handicapper at Bankstown to do a manual alteration.

Matt 3 Jab
16th October 2008, 12:43 PM
yea, i'll just ring them and get it changed if need be.

Grunt
16th October 2008, 03:49 PM
Played at Camden this morning and you could tell I had a few weeks off, game was terrible but did improve as the game went on.
I was really surprised with my putting numbers thought it was way worse but I did miss alot of short putts.

Stab points 28
Gross 95
Nett 79
4/14 Fwys
0 GIR
31 putts (2x 3 putts, 7 1 putts)
5/14 up & downs
1/3 Sand saves

Next game: Camden Valley - 24th October

jimandr
16th October 2008, 04:12 PM
My first game for a number of weeks at Camden with Grunt today. 32 points is both disappointing and encouraging. Encouraging because my tennis elbow ailment, which has got worse recently, didn't affect my play, and didn't hurt at all while I was playing. So I'm not going to use it as a reason not to play golf anymore.

In theory, more golf should mean a better short game, and therefore better scores. The chipping and putting was very ordinary today. The approaches from 150m weren't much good either.

Fairways = 8 of 13
Greens in reg = 5 of 18
Putts = 33, 1 miracle birdie from 70ft, 1 threeputt.
Up&Down = 1 of 9
Sand Saves = 0 of 2

Scottt
16th October 2008, 05:55 PM
Stop being so humble and post Virge!

Courty
16th October 2008, 08:21 PM
What did you shoot this week?

16pts
50% 3pts
100% Free throws
60% Field Goals
A handful of rebounds and one huuuuuuge block!

8)

Jarro
16th October 2008, 08:23 PM
16pts
50% 3pts
100% Free throws
60% Field Goals

8)

Any black eyes from all that jumping around ?

haysey
16th October 2008, 08:23 PM
16pts
50% 3pts
100% Free throws
60% Field Goals

8)

That was a huge block8).

shame the bloke was only 5'3":lol:

Courty
16th October 2008, 08:41 PM
That was a huge block8).

Here's an instant replay:

KxobkzWpvQo&fmt=18

:mrgreen:

haysey
16th October 2008, 08:42 PM
16pts
50% 3pts
100% Free throws
60% Field Goals

8)

How the hell do you remember all those stats anyway?

All I can remember from that game is running up and down the court about 400 times and missing a shiteload of free throws:roll:

haysey
16th October 2008, 08:44 PM
Here's an instant replay:

:mrgreen:

:lol: gotta pay that.... nice work8)

Courty
16th October 2008, 08:47 PM
How the hell do you remember all those stats anyway?

Just a rough guess... ;)

jimandr
16th October 2008, 09:51 PM
Stop being so humble and post Virge!

Virge never posts in this thread.

You'll have to spill the beans for us.

Scottt
16th October 2008, 09:55 PM
Virge had 41, playing off 5.

Even par

hit it f**king pure and sank everything he looked at.

He and Matt had 50 4bbb and 43 scratch.

Flowergirl
17th October 2008, 08:39 AM
Wednesday comp at Rosebud Park- played a nice solid game ( what does that mean anyway:shock:).
Played par - +2. Runner up - again!! Have been runner up the past 3 weeks. .3 reduction. Short game is a lot better.

Yesterday played at Southern. Boy I love that course - and the clubhouse is great and the members so friendly. Played in a 4BBB par with a women who is a member. We had +9 - and yep - runner up again.

Didn't feel like I played great - I either had a plus or a wipe. Hardly any squares. But my partner and I combined well when it mattered.

Highlight of the day was a shot out of a fairway bunker - 120 meters - onto the green - and a good first putt then a tap in for my par. Happy with that.

Playing again today - yep 4th time for the week- at Rosebud Country Club with Johnny Boy - 4bbb. Wish us luck.;)

gregh
17th October 2008, 05:06 PM
played comp at riverlakes (bris)
gross 86
net 67
39 stab
16 frt 9
23 back 9
2 wipes
38 putts ( hot today with putter) NOT
1 penalty
next game 24/10 at camden

Eag's
17th October 2008, 05:17 PM
Nice going FG you will crack it for a win soon enough :smt023

PeteyD
17th October 2008, 05:23 PM
Played Wynnum today. 10 pts, v Par. Shot 80 off the stick (par 70). Best round by 9 shots. 6 Fairways, 4 GIR, 29 Putts, 1x3 jab on a GIR. Had no -'s on the card at all. 1 Double and 8 bogeys and 9 pars. Won the comp. Handicap down to 18.1, new record low by 1.5 shots.

Bruce
17th October 2008, 05:33 PM
Well done Pete

Eag's
17th October 2008, 05:52 PM
Played Wynnum today. 10 pts, v Par. Shot 80 off the stick (par 70). Best round by 9 shots. 6 Fairways, 4 GIR, 29 Putts, 1x3 jab on a GIR. Had no -'s on the card at all. 1 Double and 8 bogeys and 9 pars. Won the comp. Handicap down to 18.1, new record low by 1.5 shots.

Well done mate, this round has been brewing for ages :smt038

gregh
17th October 2008, 06:35 PM
well done pete,wondering if your keen for comp at riverlakes on fridays.

PeteyD
17th October 2008, 07:11 PM
I'll think about it gregh.

AndyP
17th October 2008, 10:53 PM
Great round, Petey.

Finding that next shot for a sub-80 is a cinch. ;)

Courty
17th October 2008, 10:55 PM
Top stuff, Petey.

welshy
18th October 2008, 05:49 AM
great round Pete! :)

Grunt
18th October 2008, 05:53 AM
great work Petey. Welcome to the world of no more double bungers and by the sounds of it so to get to that really tough part, walking up to holes as you score saying "No, it's ?/? I don't get a shot there"

Flowergirl
18th October 2008, 09:01 AM
Well done Petey:smt038 Great round. :smt038Way to go:smt038

Well Johnny Boy and I survived yesterdays 4BBB - just:smt013 We were both naughty and cracked the sh*ts with each other for a few holes and lost the plot. How childish of both of us. :smt013 We haven't done that before - well not on the course anyway. Stupid stupid stupid.
We had 42 points - not enough to even win a ball.

We've kissed and made up and playing together again on Sunday in a foursomes. Could be divorce material.;)

shazza_rs
18th October 2008, 09:58 AM
I don't recommend playing in the foursomes together. Pete stopped talking to me after the first round.... he actually put his i-pod on and wouldn't even look at me.... and we were in a golf cart...!!!

Grunt
18th October 2008, 10:04 AM
I don't recommend playing in the foursomes together. Pete stopped talking to me after the first round.... he actually put his i-pod on and wouldn't even look at me.... and we were in a golf cart...!!!

That is bad. The ignoring would have be the worst part. I have found with foursome the worst part is when one player start blaming another player. I have copped it before, but it was the result of other guys bad shots that I was stuffing up.

shazza_rs
18th October 2008, 10:23 AM
we did have 2 rounds of 101...... Neither of us were shitty at each other. Pete was actually peeved off with himself.

haysey
18th October 2008, 12:30 PM
Individual Stableford at Cairns this morning.

Had 36 points. As usual 3 one pointers in the last 4 holes saw off any chance of posting a decent score:smt013

BrisVegas
18th October 2008, 03:06 PM
lost my club champs matchplay game today 1 down. Played a bit better than I did over the strokeplay champs. Kept it in play on the front 9 to turn 1 down, then won 10,11,13 to go 2 up. lost 14 & 16 (to birdie) to be all square on the 17th. I made a nice birdie on 17, but he rolled in his bird as well, so all square up the last.... I spun my apprach shot back off the front of the 18 green and then failed to get up and down to lose it by a shot. Pretty bummed to lose by 1, but at least I played ok. I had 80 off the plates which is respectable, but the other guy finished his round just that bit better.

AndyP
18th October 2008, 03:53 PM
18/10/2008, RAAF Tindal GC, Stableford.

6/14 effective tee-shots.
4/18 effective approaches.
1/14 up and down successes. :shock:
35 putts.
---------------
1 birdie.
3 pars.
8 bogeys.
6 others.
Score 48-43-91 stab 12-15-27 (Par 70 ACR 69)

The Pine Creek Ambrose comp didn't happen, as I couldn't find anything about it, so I played at Tindal instead. Last time I was runner-up, this time was pretty ordinary.

Crap off the tee (if I did hit it well it would go through a dogleg), and as a result, the irons didn't get much of a chance to shine. The chipping was dud and the putts just wouldn't go in, but that's not overly surprising considering the greens. We had to contend with cattle hoofprints and dung on top of the normal condition.

The "highlight of the day" was the last hole where I hit my best feeling drive. Of course, it went through the dogleg and was sitting on some leaves, but I still had a shot from about 85m.

I topped the approach it with my wedge and it bounced and rolled all the way to within 10cm of the cup. For that NTP I won myself a free pizza voucher, which isn't bad considering first prize was a glove and three balls.

Next round: I'm still trying to decide if I want to put myself through the torture of another game in a comp at Katherine GC tomorrow.

Eag's
18th October 2008, 03:56 PM

Sorry shaz I know I shouldn't laugh but that is ****ing funny :lol::lol:

Courty
18th October 2008, 05:08 PM
31 pts at Cairns today. Started pretty well, but faded when things got slow. :roll:

Grunt
18th October 2008, 05:11 PM
31 pts at Cairns today. Started pretty well, but faded when things got slow. :roll:

Slow play gets you too Courty?

Courty
18th October 2008, 05:14 PM
Slow play gets you too Courty?

Yeah... once in a while wouldn't be so bad, but it happens every @#$%ing week. :smt013

Grunt
18th October 2008, 05:25 PM
Yeah... once in a while wouldn't be so bad, but it happens every @#$%ing week. :smt013

Ask Jim how slow it was the other day @ Camden. The other guy in the group had enough on the 18th tee and gave it to a bloke you was not only slow came back to the tee to rehit. He unloaded then went to the pro shop and got the right method to report them to the committee. As Jim & I left the club I recognised 2 faces on the Club directors board, they were in the group in front of us that were slowing us down. Would love to see the result of his complaint.

haysey
18th October 2008, 05:27 PM
faded when things got slow. :roll:

Baz chased us around all morning, finished in a tad over 4 hrs. Guess he must have played in the afternoon...

Courty
18th October 2008, 05:46 PM
Baz chased us around all morning, finished in a tad over 4 hrs. Guess he must have played in the afternoon...

He came around when we were on the 13th, but it didn't improve.

oz
18th October 2008, 05:50 PM
Par event at Albury today. Finished +2 with stack n tilt in the bag. Shoulda been better, but my short game was a bit shabby.

schanop
18th October 2008, 10:44 PM
Walked the whole 18 for the first time in many many months at Gungalin Lake course. I haven't played there for a while since there were too many duck poos on the green when I teed off over there just before last winter. It was a club championship day yesterday, and public could go in after 12.30. I was hoping that the course condition would be great. Well, it was good, but probably won't go back there again any time soon. The bottom line was 37-40: total six bogeys, and one birdie on the the front nine. It wasn't bad I guess, for their club champ settings. Lots of holes were tucked around the slope makeing putting a little more difficult than usual.

Jarro
19th October 2008, 09:57 AM

Nice shootin' Pete :smt038

Congrats on the new handicrap 8)

Bruce
19th October 2008, 05:12 PM
34 points at Settlers' Run.

Tried to play safe, boring golf to prepare for the Mid-Am on Wednesday and it mostly worked. Not a bad new course either, although the rough is death. Even if you find it you may not get out of there.

Scottt
20th October 2008, 10:36 AM

:shock:

I had nine holes at Horizons with my mates during our boozy weekend away.

35 off the bat (one under).

5/7 fairways
6/9 greens
14 putts
1/3 U&Ds
3 birds
4pars
2 bogeys

Made 8-, 25- and 4-footers for my birdies and 6-, 7-, 3- and 25- footers for my pars.

Jusr flushed everything and rolled it pure with the flatstick.

Great day.

mikezone13
20th October 2008, 11:23 AM
As much it pains me to write it here what good are the good oens without the bad thrown in.

19pts - has to be a career low, especially given how many fairways I hit (10/14), but I couldn't hit a barn door from 100m.

The day ended up being a bit of a giggle as I was playing single stableford while my two playing partners were playing foursomes, none of us cared about our round and it become a running joke the number of wipes I took from the middle of the fairway but 100m out, as a gauge it took until the 10th hole for my first par!

Flowergirl
20th October 2008, 12:54 PM
We survived the foresomes - just. I couldn't keep a drive on the short stff all day. More hookers than a Kings Cross convention.:evil:
Johhny played well but we were not in the hunt all day. Nett 74 - ball run started at 69.:shock:

Highlight was a NTP - not real close but close enough to win the $50 voucher and I also would have won the mens - less than 2 meters on a 160mtr hole. Lovely shot.

Too stubborn to put the driver in the bag and use something safer. Seeing it was Canadian foursomes we didn't have to play my drive and it was good for John to have a bit of pressure.;)

Went to the driving range today for a bit of a hit and ironed out a few problems - until next time.:mrgreen:

Scottt
20th October 2008, 01:39 PM
Scotttttt,
What is horizons like these days? I have never seen the finished product.

I don't always love resort golf, but I think Horizons is a pretty good example of how it can be done well.

I'm not a particularly enthusiastic archi buff, but I like the relatively few forced carries, water waiting for a bad shot, but not getting in the face of high handicappers and scaring them (see note below) on 5, 6, 9, 10, 11 15 and 18, and relatively short one-shotters (165, 148, 137 and 139 from the whites, with elevation and wind ensuring you won't necessarily hit the same club on the three of similar length).

It's great that they've made the wasteland areas off the cut stuff a lateral hazard, so the only OOB near "in play" is left on 1, 14 and 18. And despite that wasteland being an automatic lost ball, the fairway corridors are still generously wide, before tightening gradually from 12 onwards, forcing you to strike it well down the stretch.

There is also some great risk/reward bunkering on 2, 4, 11, 12 and 17. I drive it about 240 on a good strike and most of these bunkers are at a length that I need to hit it well to carry (from the white tees), but by taking that risk there is a worthwhile benefit.

The greenside bunkering is quite penal, but there is a safe miss on almost every green, so a sensible 90s shooter won't get crucified.

I also like that the greens, by and large, are relatively flat - with subtle breaks. It's a challenge getting on some of the greens in regulation, so it's fair that a kind putting surface is awaiting on those holes. On the shorter par 4s (5, 17, 18 ) there are steeper slopes to putt on, likewise the easier par 5s (9, 12 and 16).

The Korean company that owns it at the moment isn't as fastidious about conditioning as previous owners, but it is still in very good condition - no bad lies on the fairway and true greens rolling at 9-11 on the stimp depending on the time of year no bare ground to speak off and a well-defined boundary between rough and fairway.

This weekend was the first time that I have looked at all that wasteland and considered that when work started, the whole area would have looked like that. To consider the momumental effort required to move so much earth to create what is there today, not to mention tree removal, just makes me shake my head at the scale and hours of work required.

Note - my grandparents, both aged 74, live at Horizons and play daily. Pa is off 25 and nana is off 39. I go up and play with them regularly and I have seen how the course is a challenge for each of us. Last time I played there with them we all had 32-36 points and walked off satisfied. It's a good piece of design, IMO, that can make a course challenging, satisfying and fair for all skill levels.

dc68
20th October 2008, 02:25 PM
Some nice golf there peeps.....

Now my tale of woe

39pts on Satdee to lose on a c/b for winner then lose a c/b for runner up.
All because i 3 jibbed the last for a par.... spaz!!!!

Down to 4.2 better make sure I'm back out to 5 by champs...... ;)

BrisVegas
20th October 2008, 02:26 PM
nice shooting dc.

beanbag
20th October 2008, 02:42 PM
after having 5 over off the stick last week i raised the bat on the last to shot 104 , worst rd in a very long time just couldnt hit a thing, front nine i was just smoking them with 58 and i putted well ...

Scottt
20th October 2008, 02:53 PM
I'm not trying to be a smartarse here but I always thought penal golf was when there was a forced feature like a bunker that had no safe option...like $hit or bust.

If it had a heroic line and a safe line isn't that strategic ?

Andrew..help me out here.

Yeah, I didn't explain well enough. I meant the bunkers rather than the design were penal, very deep, very steep. They are pretty daunting pots to be in (on 4, 9, 13, 15 and 17 especially. The design is very fair. You just have to swallow some pride to dodge the car wrecks.

I know what you mean about 'penal' design: anything James Wilcher has designed seems to fit the bill. He overdoes it a bit, I think.

Scottt
20th October 2008, 02:58 PM
Perhaps a tiny bit on a few bunkers, which are generally damp, but compared to Pac Dunes, maybe 0.05% as bad. From what I hear, large sections of 2, 4, 6, 7 and 9 at Pac Dunes have been water affected since the start of the year.

Eag's
20th October 2008, 03:04 PM
Top stuff DC, a few Oz golfers hitting form at the right time.

damoocow
26th October 2008, 05:36 PM

Must have missed this one last week Pete - great shooting !!!