PDA

View Full Version : Tennis - Brisbane International

steverawlo
13th October 2008, 07:21 PM
Got tickets the other day. :mrgreen:

Anyone else going??

AndyP
13th October 2008, 07:35 PM
WTF? Tickets are out already. Crap! I'm not a member of Tennis Queensland anymore, so didn't get the email for access to tickets before the public.

What day are you going, Steve?

I've been to the women's tournament that this is replacing for the last couple of years and have really been looking forward to this one. I'll definitely be going.

The good news is that Ana Ivanovic will be playing again.

steverawlo
13th October 2008, 08:40 PM
Tickets went on sale on Wednesday through Ticketek.

Kate and I are going to the Thursday night session.

I would have preferred the Saturday day session as it is the mens semis and you would be a good chance of seeing the likes of Djokovic, Tsonga, Gasquet and Monfils. Unfortunately we're busy that day.

AndyP
13th October 2008, 10:36 PM
Those ground passes are great value. 10 bucks gets you in to every court except centre court on every day. I might take the youngster down for a squiz on one of the days.

AndyP
4th January 2009, 06:09 PM
I got a ground pass for today, and wandered around for a few hours.
Saw Gajdosova's win, and a set of Ginepri's match. As well, as a couple of bits and pieces around the place.

It's a pretty good setup, and centre court looks very impressive. I'm looking forward to sitting in there tomorrow.
Last I heard, I'll get to see Baghdatis and Dokic on the main court. Hopefully Stosur too with some of the reshuffling done.

steverawlo
4th January 2009, 08:38 PM
Was there a big crowd there today?

Do you get a good view of the outside courts?

Can I get a beer anywhere?

Thursday night should be the quarter finals. I'm really looking forward to it. Tickets are in section 106 row DD, which I assume is 8 rows back.

PeteyD
4th January 2009, 08:49 PM
I think your assumption may be wrong. Maybe 4th row?

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/dbimages/sfx35162.jpg

AndyP
4th January 2009, 08:53 PM
I wouldn't assume DD is 8 rows back.....
I've got Cat B tickets for tomorrow, but I think it's a small enough stadium for it not to be a problem to be a bit back.

Re crowd and view. Apparently 8800 overall. No idea how many at centre court, but you could easily get a seat on the two show courts, whether in the stand or on the other side. Court 9 was a pain to look at, but the others had areas around the court that you could view from, but no seating. You do get very close to the play though.

You can definitely get a beer. I'm not sure how many outlets there are though, and probably not inside the centre court area.

It's been confirmed that I'll see Stosur and Dokic tomorrow.
http://www.brisbaneinternational.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/op3.pdf

steverawlo
5th January 2009, 08:05 AM
I thought it might be like the Gabba, which from memory goes A, AA, B, BB, C, CC etc.

From the site map it looks like there are only 6 rows in that section.

poidda
5th January 2009, 12:00 PM
Will be giving this a miss. So overpriced for a warm up tournament. No wonder tickets are still available for all sessions except the final.

Moe Norman
5th January 2009, 12:05 PM
$10 to see all games except centre court is too steep?

poidda
5th January 2009, 12:17 PM
$10 to see all games except centre court is too steep?

Nah, I was talking the $80-100 to see someone you've actually heard of on the centre court. $10 to see a bunch of local kids run around on the outside courts is probably worth it, but you could probably do this any weekend.

AndyP
5th January 2009, 08:30 PM
Good research, Poid.

It was $35 for me on centre court today. And on the outside courts, you get to see many top 50 players (such as Hantuchova), not no-name locals.

Tickets are available because it's a big stadium. There was a big crowd yesterday, and probably a bigger one today.

AndyP
6th January 2009, 05:21 PM
Djokovic gone. That will stop a few punters from coming through the gate.

poidda
6th January 2009, 05:42 PM
Good research, Poid.

It was $35 for me on centre court today.

Oops. ticketek must have it just as wrong as I do.
http://premier.ticketek.com.au/Shows/Show.aspx?sh=BRISINTD09

For $35 I would give it a look. That's what I would think a small event like this is worth.

And on the outside courts, you get to see many top 50 players (such as Hantuchova), not no-name locals.

My research (google images) tells me that Hantuchova is ranked 21. Lucky she's a hottie, or else I wouldn't have heard of her before.

AndyP
6th January 2009, 08:11 PM
$49.90 if you want to go tomorrow. This is for Cat B tickets, you must have been looking at Cat A only. Order of play should be on the official website. It gets more expensive each day, which I don't agree with, as it doesn't necessarily get better each day. Although I can understand finals being a more premium price.

It's not a big event. Sydney is a higher tier tournament the week before the Open. There are other events on at the moment, including a Middle East tournament that attracts the big names with the money they throw around.

If you haven't heard of Hantuchova, then this tournament might struggle to please you, as she is a high profile player (part tennis, part looks). Personally, I think there is a lot better looking around than her.

poidda
7th January 2009, 12:54 PM
Yeah my bad. I was just looking when I could make it. ie. later in the week.

steverawlo
8th January 2009, 07:00 AM
Tonights blockbusters :roll:

Marian Bartoli v Tathiana Garbin

Paul Henri Mathieu v Kei Nishikori

Ivanovic is playing the day session.

FFS.... Might have to have a bet to make this interesting.

AndyP
9th January 2009, 07:47 AM
How did you go, Steve? Did you have a good night regardless?

steverawlo
9th January 2009, 02:11 PM
I enjoyed it last night. Very different type of crowd to what you get at the footy!!

Pros -
Excellent stadium
High quality tennis
Seeing how hard they hit the ball and appreciating their athletic ability
Good sorts everywhere

Cons -
No Aussies to cheer for, everyone was really quiet even at the change of ends
$7 for a beer and only Heiniken and Hahn Lite to choose from
Pretty painful to get there from the north side
$80 a ticket where I was sitting was a bit overpriced

For this event to be more successful, their needs to be an Aussie emerge and get some success. I don't know whether Tomic et al are going to get up there in the near future.

I will go next year but will go to a day session early in the week and the mens final.

AndyP
9th January 2009, 02:25 PM
I've always gone on one of the first couple of days, as there's a good chance of seeing an Aussie then (before they are "bundled" out), plus you get to see a seed or two. All of the tennis is high quality at that level.

Moe Norman
9th January 2009, 02:36 PM
I'll start a business.

$10 to park at my place and I'll run you up there (about 1.5km)

Or $20 for a members carpark pass for BGC

CASH COW