PDA

View Full Version : Ott

chappy1970
13th October 2008, 05:18 PM
Anyone have some tips on how to over come the problem of "coming Over The Top".
I am finding that occasionally my irons are going straight left, my driver and 3 wood suffers the same fate with more regularity however and a little hook as well.

Chappy

oobsadd2
14th October 2008, 11:38 AM
Slow it down in practise and try to get things happening in the correct order ie get in sync.
Coil up
Small lateral slide to the target (this will start the legs and lower half of the body first)
turn and hit/ release into a firm left side
full finish.
You need to do them all for the swing to work well. Its hard to think about them all at full speed or on the course.

chappy1970
14th October 2008, 01:22 PM
Cheers oob,

I think the root of the problem as you have noted is that I am starting the downswing with my shoulders and arms rather than my lower half.

Goin to practice slowing down the take away and trigger the downswing with the hips

Flowergirl
14th October 2008, 01:54 PM
I had found (then lost it) that a small hesitation at the top will help you to start the downswing with your hips and not your arms.

Funny - a lot of us all have the same problem:mrgreen:

chappy1970
14th October 2008, 02:02 PM
A very common swing fault me thinks FG

Toolish
14th October 2008, 09:03 PM
see what I wrote here.

http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11152

Also the flashlight drill as posted on ISG are made for this!

Minor_Threat
14th October 2008, 09:22 PM
This problem occurs in the majority of players due to a poor weight transfer..

Weight is left on the backfoot which causes you to turn from there and pull across the ball.

Flowergirl
14th October 2008, 10:27 PM

Weight is left on the backfoot which causes you to turn from there and pull across the ball.

Do you mean "weight remains on the backfoot" - meaning not the left/right left. I'm dyslexic with my right and left and get confused easily.:oops:

Any good drills for weight transfer?

kev
14th October 2008, 10:35 PM
Do you mean "weight remains on the backfoot" - meaning not the left/right left. I'm dyslexic with my right and left and get confused easily.:oops:
<snip>

That's Right.

:mrgreen:

virge666
15th October 2008, 11:53 AM

Not the best way to describe it as you will now have people sliding the hips and legs try to get some weight shift... but I am with you.

A quickish way was to fix an OTT move is to push it a little bit more... Teach people how to hit a big pull cut, with the OTT move. You just keep them hitting that pull cut say about 5 or 6 times... The pull cut has an almost perfect hand and hip action - but your shoulders are pointing the wrong way at impact.

So you teach yourself the pull cut shot... then you keep pointing your shoulders more and more to the right at impact until the ball goes straight. This gives you a good weight shift on the downswing and gets the club shaft on plane.

It is just a brilliant way of fixing it.

For a bit of research on the method . . . have a look at Tiger's and Anthony Kim's practice swing. Also have a look at G. Mac and Jiminez's practice swing. Watch how aggressive and level their right hip moves through the ball. They are all practising a pull cut.

Enjoy

Minor_Threat
15th October 2008, 12:16 PM
Not the best way to describe it as you will now have people sliding the hips and legs try to get some weight shift... but I am with you.

A quickish way was to fix an OTT move is to push it a little bit more... Teach people how to hit a big pull cut, with the OTT move. You just keep them hitting that pull cut say about 5 or 6 times... The pull cut has an almost perfect hand and hip action - but your shoulders are pointing the wrong way at impact.

So you teach yourself the pull cut shot... then you keep pointing your shoulders more and more to the right at impact until the ball goes straight. This gives you a good weight shift on the downswing and gets the club shaft on plane.

It is just a brilliant way of fixing it.

For a bit of research on the method . . . have a look at Tiger's and Anthony Kim's practice swing. Also have a look at G. Mac and Jiminez's practice swing. Watch how aggressive and level their right hip moves through the ball. They are all practising a pull cut.

Enjoy

This is probably true for these guys so much in tune with there swing but not appropriate here IMO..

In regards to sliding hips / legs it is nearly impossible to transfer weight correctly without turning so I don't agree with you sorry!

I good drill simple drill I used to teach was being able to hit shots by lifting your non weighted foot off the ground.

e.g. Right Hander Backswing = Left foot off the ground, Finish = Right foot off the ground

You cannot do this without a correct weight transfer.

oobsadd2
15th October 2008, 12:50 PM
foot to foot is very good for tempo training as well, impossible to rush.
it seems to me ive heard multiple keys, swing thoughts or drills which all sound different which have the same goal.
I dont think any are better, its just that some will work for you and some will not.
I think you need to try them all but be clear on what they are trying to achieve.

virge666
15th October 2008, 06:26 PM
This is probably true for these guys so much in tune with there swing but not appropriate here IMO..

Fair call. The point being that they already have the shot mastered - they just don't have the direction working.

In regards to sliding hips / legs it is nearly impossible to transfer weight correctly without turning so I don't agree with you sorry!

Ask Grunt if he feels like he is transferring his weight... then have a look at his swing... it is on here somewhere. A lower leg drive always feels like a weight shift as does a reverse pivot.

You cannot do this without a correct weight transfer.

Yep, but you can do it without correct turn. The step through drill also is aimed at this kind of problem.

Horses for courses... they all do the same kind of thing and with each one - it is 10 times better if someone knowledgeable is watching.

Personally - I can and have screwed up many drills.

Minor_Threat
15th October 2008, 07:21 PM
Horses for courses... they all do the same kind of thing and with each one - it is 10 times better if someone knowledgeable is watching.

Personally - I can and have screwed up many drills.
Totally agree there, drills are useless if you don't do them correctly are "really" know what you are trying to achieve..

I tried many things for weight transfer when teaching, and always found the 'one' leg thing had the best results.