PDA

View Full Version : Pull to the left.....why???

simmsy
11th October 2008, 11:53 PM
I am having an issue with occassionally pulling my drives to the left (yes I am RH). When i'm hitting my drives well they have a straight or very slight fade to their flight, but I sometimes (4-5 times a round) pull my drive left and can't quiet seem to figure it out.
It sometimes feels like my right hand is overactive and turning the club over causing a closed face, but also wondering if it is either the swing path being different on down swing to back swing or maybe I'm trying to overhit from the top of my swing.
I have tried standing closer, further away, more/less tilt on my spine angle and am now feeling a little lost.
Cheers for any help forthcoming.

Simmsy..:wink:

Courty
12th October 2008, 10:06 AM
I suffer from this occasionally. I can only tell you what I think causes it for me... a combination of the right hand grip being a touch too strong and not keeping the right elbow tucked in enough. What this does is promote an outside-in swing path. When you leave the face a little open it results in the fade, and when you get it square it pulls left.

Johnny Canuck
12th October 2008, 10:09 AM
I do it when I finish with my hands too far inside my proper swing plane, basically too tight to my body. Often, as a result, it will lead to me not properly following through.

See you on Tuesday mate, I'll show you exactly what I do wrong.

oobsadd2
12th October 2008, 06:32 PM
If the ball is starting to the left, then the swing plane is to the left. Your swing got out of sync. If youre shoulders get ahead of your lower half then the ball will start to the left. If the ball is starting left and hooking then the clubface is closed as well. If it starts left and cuts back then the clubface is open.
2 options, speed the lower half up or slow the top half down.

shazza_rs
12th October 2008, 08:04 PM
I suffer from this occasionally as well. I hit consistent fades and sometimes i pull one to the left. I find for me its when i start the downswing more with my hands rather than the hip turn. I feel like i'm pulling myself through the downswing and get stuck in close to the body (much like courty).

Flowergirl
14th October 2008, 10:12 AM
Thank you guys. Missed this before. This is my problem too. Courty - yep - dominant right hand. When I tell myself "take it away with the glove" ( not good with left and right) and Shazza "turn your hips" - I swing well.
Just so hard to remember everytime. :shock:

simmsy
14th October 2008, 10:23 PM
Thanks for your help here people.
Went to the range today and yeah its from my hands leading my hips. As soon as I was conscious of making sure my hips were coming down with my hands it was all good.
Will see how it goes on the course asap.
Thanks for the tips.

cheers

Simmsy..:smt038