PDA

View Full Version : Calling you I/T guys again...

Johnny Canuck
10th October 2008, 01:57 PM
Hi Guys,

Yesterday I updated Internet Explorer on my work computer (to version 7, I believe). Now, when I start Internet Explorer, it won't connect to the net. However, I have no problems with Firefox.

Also, when I start i-tunes and try and get on to a radio station, it now crashes giving me the "i tunes has encountered a problem..." message.

Any quick fixes?

I updated I/E because the version that I had would open my home page and instantly give me the "explorer has encountered a problem.." message.
JC

BrisVegas
10th October 2008, 01:59 PM
have you tried restarting the computer?

:wink:

Johnny Canuck
10th October 2008, 02:03 PM
unfortunately yes for IE, but no for itunes. might do that now.

Johnny Canuck
10th October 2008, 02:13 PM
restarted, i tunes still crashing.

Grunt
10th October 2008, 02:33 PM
Did you just update to the latest Itunes, version 8 I think.

Johnny Canuck
10th October 2008, 02:36 PM
yep, as it started crashing, i figured i could possibly solve the problem by updating it as well. no luck

kev
10th October 2008, 07:34 PM
In IE check your proxy settings. I presume you are going through a proxy at work?

Tools | Internet Options | Connections tab | Lan Settings

As for iTunes, personally I would uninstall and re-install - If I remember correctly, it keeps your current settings when you re-install.

Minor_Threat
10th October 2008, 08:20 PM
As Kev said if you are going through a proxy at work you will need to configure this correctly.

Simplest way as Kev said Tools | Internet Options | Connections tab | Lan Settings select "Automatically detect settings"

Johnny Canuck
10th October 2008, 10:38 PM
In IE check your proxy settings. I presume you are going through a proxy at work?

Tools | Internet Options | Connections tab | Lan Settings

As for iTunes, personally I would uninstall and re-install - If I remember correctly, it keeps your current settings when you re-install.

Thanks Guys,

I checked the proxy settings with the ones for Firefox and they are the same.
I have also "automatically detected settings" and that didn't work either.

I have also downloaded and installed IE again, but did not get a chance to restart and try again before I left.

I will uninstall i tunes and try again, as suggested.

I'll try on Monday and bump if necessary!:mrgreen:

kev
10th October 2008, 10:43 PM
Apparently iTunes uses the proxy settings from IE

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1490

and

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1368 (see the Windows section)

So hold off re-installing iTunes.