PDA

View Full Version : Sydney to the 'gong ride - Anyone done it?

macjackass
10th October 2008, 12:34 PM
Always wanted to do this so signed up for it early next month. How long will it take roughly and how crap will I feel the next day?

Grunt
10th October 2008, 01:12 PM
Have done it, a fair while ago though. Can't remember how long it took since it was that long ago. Was not that sore the next day, it really depends on how bike fit you are. It is quite slow out of Sydney at the start, but I think they have moved it out of hte city now and start at Brighton-le-sands. It speeds up once you are past Sutherland and get to the National park.

Virgal_Tracy
10th October 2008, 01:16 PM
If you are a decent rider then allow 4hrs which will allow you a stop at one of the great pubs on the way down from Stanwell Park. Scarborough Hotel was always one of my favourites.

macjackass
11th October 2008, 01:09 AM
Thanks, 4 hours not likely unless I get the train part of the way, ha ha. I just hope there is not a southerly blowing that day, if there is I'll be a no-show. Are there any big hills, I know when you go the freeway there are a couple of hills I wouldn't like after I've been riding for hours.

Fishman Dan
11th October 2008, 07:50 AM
Always wanted to do this so signed up for it early next month. How long will it take roughly and how crap will I feel the next day?

The booklet I've seen in bike stores asks you that question - I think you can take as long as you need up to about 6-8 hours.

I just bought myself a flat bar road bike last weekend, and I'm doing the Sydney Spring Cycle (http://www.springcycle.com.au/) from North Sydney to Homebush (50 km's). Another 'fun' event with no time limit to complete it.

Jono
11th October 2008, 08:24 AM
If you are a decent rider then allow 4hrs which will allow you a stop at one of the great pubs on the way down from Stanwell Park. Scarborough Hotel was always one of my favourites.

That's closed now, I think. Magnificent stretch of road though.

Mac, if you want to stop by my house after the ride, send me a pm.

Virgal_Tracy
11th October 2008, 08:26 AM
I think with the new seaview bridge open that it again goes through the National Park and not down the expressway. If that's right then there is a mother of a hill climbing up towards Stanwell Park out of the N.P. but that's really the only one. It's flat leading out of the city to Waterfall, a nice downhill section into the N.P., the big uphill and then downhill all of the way into Wollongong where thankfully they have free massages waiting for you at the end.

Grunt
11th October 2008, 09:35 AM
The booklet I've seen in bike stores asks you that question - I think you can take as long as you need up to about 6-8 hours.

I just bought myself a flat bar road bike last weekend, and I'm doing the Sydney Spring Cycle (http://www.springcycle.com.au/) from North Sydney to Homebush (50 km's). Another 'fun' event with no time limit to complete it.

Was going to do the North Sydney to Homebush ride but alas Rachelle organised a BBQ with Family that day.

macjackass
11th October 2008, 07:35 PM
Jono, thank you for the kind offer.
Have the 'dale on the bay, want to get a flat bar road bike to make life easier. Good grief, I'm ho-ing bikes now FFS!

just
11th October 2008, 08:01 PM
Good grief, I'm ho-ing bikes now FFS!

Me too! This is my new baby:
http://www.surlybikes.com/bigdummy.html

Fishman Dan
12th October 2008, 07:53 AM
Here's mine. I was lucky to get in before the price rise - Giant have raised the price of their entire range due to the $AU. The CRX-2 has gone up $200! :shock:

just
12th October 2008, 08:02 AM
Good stuff Dan, looks nice! I got my Big Dummy before the price rises too!

Fishman Dan
12th October 2008, 09:39 AM
I've just returned from my first ride - 45 mins. It's amazing how on some hills 27 gears just isn't enough! :oops:

Now the scary part - to Google Earth where I just went and learn how short the trip was!

Edit - 11 km's in 45 mins. I was thinking it was half that. 50 km's next weekend looks do-able ;)

Courty
12th October 2008, 11:16 AM
I've been doing an 8km circuit around my place (with hills) in about 22-25 mins. I know what you mean about the gears. :oops:

macjackass
12th October 2008, 04:14 PM
Nice pick up, Dan. The crx series are pretty good. I'm looking into the kona phd. Looks real sharp and the components are pretty good for the price point.

Fishman Dan
12th October 2008, 05:07 PM
Reply here (http://ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?p=258497#post258497).

macjackass
2nd November 2008, 09:07 PM
Well, the ride went well. Pretty slow at the start, took until the grand parade before we got started without stopping every minute or so. Perfect day for it, no wind until we got tothe new bridge and then it was a northerly so it was beneficial. No flats today, I was so happy with that. Will be so stiff tomorrow it's not even funny!

On a different tangent, I have even more respect for those guys in the tour de france. I didn't do anything today and every little incline toward the end was pretty bad, that those guys can sprint up a mountain after 200 kilometres is simply amazing. The pain barrier they must go through would be mind blowing!!

Fishman Dan
2nd November 2008, 09:33 PM
Good stuff MJA. Another good event and done for a good cause. I contemplated it after the ride a fortnight ago - even doing one of the mid-stages to the end, but not at this early stage.