PDA

View Full Version : TV Set-up

Toolish
8th October 2008, 10:01 PM
I am a bit lost at the moment in relation to setting up my TV. We have 2 TV's in our house at the moment, one has a set top box for digital TV and an old video player and the other has a VCR/DVD combo player. Living in a rural area digital is required to get channel 10 so I am trying to work out what to do. I also want to get a PVR at the same time.

I have been thinking of getting a dual tuner PVR for the main TV with a cheap DVD player and having the set top box and DVD/VCR combo on the other TV.

The main thing I am trying to sort out is if I should be looking at a HD tuner. I am not concerned with picture quality, but I am worried that stations will do more of what 10 is doing where the HD channel is used for alternate programming. Can a HD tuner play through a non-HD TV. Do you think my concern of missing out on alternate channels is valid? Any other suggestions on this issue?

I looked through Vegas's PVR thread but ended up a bit lost in the media center talk. I want to be able to watch and record live TV, I do download stuff I forget to tape but with a limited quota I don't want to download everything.

goughy
8th October 2008, 10:13 PM
I would get a dual tuner hd pvr for the main TV and a dvd player and then do as you said for the 2nd. Channel 7 and 10 both at times put different content on the HD channel so it might be worth having it for that. Although being in a regional area you may not really 'have' 10 in HD yet. You could get an sd dual tuner pvr and you'll get 95% of what's on tv and it will be cheaper.

The TV shouldn't have a problem with whatever signal you send it. You'll only see it at the best resolution the tv can do. So that should be fine. What you may need to check is what type of inputs your tv has? That might affect what items you can connect to it, and what type of outputs you need to have on your devices. And also whether you are putting the sound into the tv or into a surround system.

It can sound more complicated than it is.

Grunt
9th October 2008, 07:29 AM
I thought a HD Box does not work in a SD TV. I know it wont give HD output but I had heard it would not out any output to SD TV's

goughy
9th October 2008, 08:18 AM
Honestly I don't know! You may be able to set the resolution settings or something. But my In-laws have had a hd stb for ages now on a cheapy crt tv so I just assumed it would work.

You've gotta remember, a dvd player outputs a higher resolution than the old crt tv's could do and you still got an image! As is the case with sd tv, but the tv in our bedroom shows the image from our stb!

Grunt
9th October 2008, 08:24 AM
If it works I will be getting a HD set top box very soon.

Iain
9th October 2008, 08:40 AM
A HD set top box will work with a STD def TV, you just won't get the 1080p resolution. Better off getting the HD set top box, as it will be future proof.

BrisVegas
9th October 2008, 08:45 AM
There really isn't that much HD content around atm, so until you upgrade to a HD tv I think it's overkill to buy a HD PVR. Think about how much hard drive space recorded HD shows are gonna take up versus SD too.

peter_rs
9th October 2008, 10:51 AM
I thought a HD Box does not work in a SD TV. I know it wont give HD output but I had heard it would not out any output to SD TV's

most HD boxes have rca out.

Courty
10th October 2008, 07:07 AM
I have a HDD recorder with HD Digital Tuner. It picks up all the channels, but won't display the HD channels (I guess it doesn't down-size the resolution or something).

Grunt
10th October 2008, 07:19 AM
Thanks for that Courty, I thought as much. Guess I will get HD tv once I can afford a tv upgrade.

Iain
10th October 2008, 07:33 AM
I have a HDD recorder with HD Digital Tuner. It picks up all the channels, but won't display the HD channels (I guess it doesn't down-size the resolution or something).

Really? What output are you using? Cause I've got a sd plasma with hd set top box and I get all the hd channels.

goughy
10th October 2008, 08:09 AM
I'll ask my FIL about his? He has a cheapy crt hooked up to a hd stb - in fact he just bought a cheapy hd pvr on ebay.

peter_rs
10th October 2008, 08:20 AM
Courty change the output res.

I setup shazza'a fam setup with the LG HD box feeding a old CRT TV.

I just had to go into the menu of the HD box and set the output to rca and resolution to 750I and it displays fine on the TV.

PeteyD
10th October 2008, 08:25 AM
Ten show the NFL on HD, so I am trying to set up a media centre computer for it...

senecio
10th October 2008, 08:49 AM
Let me know how you go with the media centre set-up Pete. I've been trying for ages, but can't seem to get it running stable for long. Might be something to do with the old hardware though.

kev
10th October 2008, 09:07 AM
I've just built a HTPC using Vista media Centre and it is great!

Output is to a CRT television via S-Video produces a very good picture at 748p. Get all the hi def channels without a problem.

I'm using Epgstream.net for the program guide. Just started ripping my DVD's to hard disk so they are all available in the Media Centre.

BrisVegas
10th October 2008, 09:14 AM
what are you using to rip your DVD's Kev? I've been wanting to put all my DVDs onto HDD so the kids cant destroy them.

kev
10th October 2008, 09:19 AM
DVDFab HD Decrypter - the free version

dvdfab.com/free.htm

senecio
10th October 2008, 09:21 AM
Thanks for that Kev.

I've had a go with XP Media Centre 2005, GB-PVR on XP and also with Vista Ultimate. I had all sorts of troubles ranging from a tuner card that couldn't be recognised, to the EPG being lost each night, to empty recordings.

I finally gave up and bought a PVR. I might give it another go with Vist when I get a chance to upgrade hardware.

BrisVegas
10th October 2008, 09:22 AM
ahh yes ta. I used Decrypter ages ago when I last backed up a DVD.

kev
10th October 2008, 09:28 AM
Haven't had any problems with Vista Ultimate - all the hardware was recognised by Vista without a worry, including the Dvico Fusion Dual Digital.

The only thing I am having problems with is iMon and the IR receiver on my case (Antec Fusion V2).

Courty
10th October 2008, 07:41 PM
Hmmm, I'll check out the settings in the HDD Recorder.

haysey
10th October 2008, 08:01 PM
Hmmm, I'll check out the settings in the HDD Recorder.

I was under the impression there was no HD channels currently available to the Cairns region? Or do I have this completely wrong (as usual)

Courty
10th October 2008, 08:08 PM
Or do I have this completely wrong (as usual)

Yep.

haysey
10th October 2008, 08:13 PM
Yep.

Figures:roll: Guess I'll be off buying a new hd tv then:lol:

Toolish
10th October 2008, 08:45 PM
Maybe a media centre might be the way to go, got a spare PC sitting around here anyway so all I would need it a tuner card correct? Will have to sort out HD vs SD either way, but might be worth a look.

kev
10th October 2008, 09:48 PM
Your graphics card would also have to output HDMI, S-Video or Composite depending on your TV. Also need something to feed the sound into from the computer - or just have some speakers connected to the PC.