PDA

View Full Version : Another computer question

mike
6th October 2008, 07:37 PM
Bought an external hard drive on the weekend. A Maxtor OneTouch 4.
Every time I start my computer, the status icon says 'no drive detected'. If I remove the usb cable and then shove it back in, away it goes. Effective but annoying.

I thought I'd throw this at all the IT guys on here before I get put on hold at Technical Support.

Help.

kev
6th October 2008, 08:03 PM
Is it pre-formatted, or have you formatted it?

What operating system are you using?

What other USB devices are connected? Is it plugged straight into the computer or off a hub? Sometimes these need a bit of power to get worked up (if you're not using the power adapter), and at boot time is basically max power drain so it might not be getting enough.

Someone on Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822144467)reported the same problem.

mike
7th October 2008, 12:54 AM
Thanks for that , kev.

Formatted ? Pre formatted ? Don't know . I took it out of the box and plugged it in and installed the software. I'm a computer dunce.

Operating system is XP service pack 2. I've read sp3 causes problems.

I've got it plugged into the back of the computer next to the printer usb cable. No hub.

:smt013

kev
7th October 2008, 09:47 AM
Well if you have the power adapter for the Maxtor attached and turned on at boot time, I can only suggest you call the tech support.

Possibly return it if you can and get a Western Digital My Book World.

Sorry.

Choppa
7th October 2008, 12:44 PM
It's not trying to boot from USB is it and it's telling you that it's not a bootable drive? Probably not if it telling you that there is "no drive connected".