PDA

View Full Version : Daylight Savings

sms316
1st October 2008, 03:22 PM
In a few days Queensland will be behind the rest of civilisation (plus Tasmania). Perhaps the guy who wrote this letter to the editor in today's Border Mail from sunny Albury should consider moving there.

Grunt
1st October 2008, 03:25 PM
Is he not a QLDer living in NSW?

OMG
1st October 2008, 03:26 PM
You would hope it is someone having a laugh....you would hope!

sms316
1st October 2008, 03:29 PM
It is very well written for someone who might be extracting the urine.

Courty
1st October 2008, 03:34 PM
ROFL. Now that IS funny. :lol:

dc68
1st October 2008, 03:58 PM
Haha

Jarro
1st October 2008, 04:34 PM
This topic has been done to death .... moreso than the forged Vs cast debate :roll:

move on folks

marcel
1st October 2008, 05:10 PM
What an idiot, surely he realises with all their funding cuts the CSIRO hasn't the resources to research this.

v205
1st October 2008, 07:50 PM
His thinking and Russell Crowe's Math go hand in hand.

raidrboy
1st October 2008, 08:10 PM
In a few days Queensland will be behind the rest of civilisation (plus Tasmania). Perhaps the guy who wrote this letter to the editor in today's Border Mail from sunny Albury should consider moving there.

I am sure that guy/person wrote in last year complaining that his curtains were going to fade due to the extra hour of sunlight.

NIK
2nd October 2008, 07:40 AM
LOL that guy must be a frequent poster on Yahoo answers with quality theorys like that

poidda
2nd October 2008, 08:15 AM
Is he not a QLDer living in NSW?

Yeah right. As if a Queenslander would ever move south. I think you got the migration back to front there Grunt. ;)

BrisVegas
2nd October 2008, 09:58 AM
our last premier didn't have the balls to hold a referendum on daylight savings. our current premier doesn't have balls. what hope do we have?

poidda
2nd October 2008, 10:08 AM
our last premier didn't have the balls to hold a referendum on daylight savings. our current premier doesn't have balls. what hope do we have?

It could happen soon though. With Captain Bligh copping a hammering in the Polls, she may need something to get her back in favour.

Xray
2nd October 2008, 12:31 PM
We had a referendum on daylight saving years ago, it was defeated. Because some people did not like the outcome every year at this time they come out whinging about how good it is and we are behind the rest of the country, they start to sound like the republicans.

Makes you wonder why all these enlightened southerners keep moving up here by the thousands knowing that we don't wind our clocks forward in October every year, could it be because they do not like daylight saving time?

Build a bridge.

Scottt
2nd October 2008, 12:42 PM
Anyone got figures on NSW to Qld migration? Sounds like something Qlders bring out citing anecdotal figures to try and prove a point.

Daylight savings rocks in any case. Makes the work day a lot more enjoyable when you can go a play 9 holes/go waterskiing/have a surf after work!

Sydney Hacker
2nd October 2008, 12:48 PM
Growing up in Emerald when they had the trial kind of leaves me split as to liking daylight saving or not.

Being 16-18 at the time (can't rememeber the exact year of the trial) it was great, cricket training every afternoon, sun not going down to late. From a young person's point of view it was great.

From my fathers point of view it sucked big time. He was up for work before the sun got up each morning and found it very hard to fall asleep while the sun was still up in the late evening.

Plus the cow's had no idea when to come home and we went through about 5 sets of curtains that summer as well !

Scottt
2nd October 2008, 12:54 PM
The darkness in the morning is a bit dodgy, SH, but at the moment I'm waking up at 5.45am because it's light then, so for me that is another bonus of daylight saving.

Sydney Hacker
2nd October 2008, 12:59 PM
The darkness in the morning is a bit dodgy, SH, but at the moment I'm waking up at 5.45am because it's light then, so for me that is another bonus of daylight saving.

You might be waking up at 5.45, but he had no choice but to still get up at 3.30am as per the clock. So he was effectively losing an hours sleep since it was still light until an hour later.

Of course you could do what all the miners do and stick alfoil over your windows to try and keep the sun and heat out...

Xray
2nd October 2008, 01:11 PM
Yeah well some of us work 12hr days which means the day is shot to pieces anyway.

As for waking up at 5:45am I have been up for an hour and am nearly at work by then, and as for trying to sleep when the sun is up, for myself that is near impossible.

Scottt
2nd October 2008, 01:18 PM
The shift workers everywhere else manage...

How Qld has withheld itself from DL saving so long is amazing.

Sydney Hacker
2nd October 2008, 01:21 PM
Maybe the Queensland gov't has considered the people who live outside of the major metro area.

I am sure you would find people in Western NSW who also hate daylight saving with a passion, it is just their voice is drowned out by the city people who all love it so much, and no one bothers to actually ask them anymore since NSW has had it for so long.

poidda
2nd October 2008, 01:28 PM
Maybe the Queensland gov't has considered the people who live outside of the major metro area.

I am sure you would find people in Western NSW who also hate daylight saving with a passion, it is just their voice is drowned out by the city people who all love it so much, and no one bothers to actually ask them anymore since NSW has had it for so long.

Gotta love the power of the Minorities. ;)

Scottt
2nd October 2008, 01:29 PM
You stole my next point Poidda :lol:

If they had a referendum, we'd see just how many are in favour, but they need a decent trial first because I think at the current time most critics are speaking from a position of ignorance.

3oneday
2nd October 2008, 01:33 PM
As a person from Western NSW (and I don't mean Blacktown :lol:), I think you may find that cow ****ies and farmers are in the fact the minority in places like Moree, Narrabri etc.

Maybe income wise, in a good year, you could count them as a majority, but on sheer population you're probably generalising way too much.

Sydney Hacker
2nd October 2008, 01:36 PM
You stole my next point Poidda :lol:

If they had a referendum, we'd see just how many are in favour, but they need a decent trial first because I think at the current time most critics are speaking from a position of ignorance.

They have had a trial, 89-92 apparently and they also had a referendum in 92, in which the majority voted against it.

How are the critics speaking from ignorance when they are the ones who have to live there ?

Sydney Hacker
2nd October 2008, 01:40 PM
As a person from Western NSW (and I don't mean Blacktown :lol:), I think you may find that cow ****ies and farmers are in the fact the minority in places like Moree, Narrabri etc.

Maybe income wise, in a good year, you could count them as a majority, but on sheer population you're probably generalising way too much.

I sit firmly on the fence at the moment, living in Sydney now, I love daylight saving.

But I don't really think it is the farmers who have a great issue with it, the majority of them work when the sun goes up until the time it goes down. Daylight saving does not effect them too much at all, expect dairy farmers... I did actually get that the theory explained to me once by a dairy farmer.

It is the mothers who can't get their kids to sleep until 10.00, but still have to have them up at 5.30 to get them to school in time. Or the people who start work early in the morning but can't go to sleep that hour earlier because it is still daylight outside.

Grunt
2nd October 2008, 01:44 PM
I like it and being a shift worker this time of year really sucks when you get home from Nightshift in broad daylight. Very hard to get to sleep. It is really good to get home in the dark and get to bed.
On the kids thing, Tayla is getting up at 5:30/6:00 am everyday as she tells us it is daytime. Fair enough it is hard to get her to bed at 7:30pm for a couple of weeks but she gets it eventually.

Webster
Farmers are never a good guide as they complain about everything. Even when they get a pay increase all they do is whinge about the extra tax they have to pay.

BrisVegas
We had a referendum on daylight saving years ago, it was defeated.

Build a bridge.

That was in 1992 FFS. I think the demographics of the state have changed a fair bit since then. Probably another million in SEQ for starters.

Whichever way it goes, someone will be trying to sleep while the sun's up.

For now, it's the vast majority trying to sleep for an hour or two after the sun comes up. 4:30am sunrise in summer is pretty useful hey!

Grunt
2nd October 2008, 01:45 PM
That is the weird feeling every year at the Champs BV. It is light so bloody early.

Sydney Hacker
2nd October 2008, 01:48 PM
That is the weird feeling every year at the Champs BV. It is light so bloody early.

It is easier to find your way home from the pubs when the sun is up...

poidda
2nd October 2008, 01:55 PM
The problem with trying to get to sleep when the suns up makes me laugh. Maybe we should call the Scottish and see how they do it. Or maybe the Icelandics, Russians or Swedes. Anyone know a Canadian? :roll: haha.

Actually come to think of it, even without daylight savings Victorians have longer days than Queenslanders anyway.

Scottt
2nd October 2008, 02:01 PM
I was in Amsterdamage in July 06 and it was like midday light until 11.30pm. They manage...

BrisVegas
2nd October 2008, 02:01 PM
In summer time here, I put my kids to bed in daylight (7pm) and they wake up in daylight (6am). Nothing would change in that respect with daylight savings.

There are more "socially acceptable" things I can do with daylight of an evening rather than pre-breakfast.

Sydney Hacker
2nd October 2008, 02:05 PM
I would think the big difference between those countries and Qld in summer would be the temperature.

Like I said, living in Sydney I love daylight savings, if people down here would learn to play golf at a decent speed it would be even better, you would be able to get 18 holes in after work. I can however understand why some people are so opposed to it.

Julie
2nd October 2008, 02:15 PM
Living in Far North Queensland, we do not need or want daylight saving.
But I love the fact that the southern states have it, as the programming on Austar is an hour ahead, so all the good movies start at 7.30pm, instead of 8.30pm.:D:D

poidda
2nd October 2008, 02:16 PM
I would think the big difference between those countries and Qld in summer would be the temperature.

Very good point. Maybe we should check with the Greeks, Spanish, Mexicans or Jordanians who have 2 hours DST. Anyone know if it's hot in Syria? :lol:

Scottt
2nd October 2008, 02:21 PM
Living in Far North Queensland, we do not need or want daylight saving.

why don't you want it?

Julie
2nd October 2008, 02:32 PM
Everything is different up here, I can understand the southern states wanting it.
The Sun rises and sets up here, to a different time to down south.

poidda
2nd October 2008, 02:37 PM
Everything is different up here, I can understand the southern states wanting it.

Very good point! :roll:

Scottt
2nd October 2008, 02:53 PM

Here's the EST sunset times for Sydney and Cairns on the first of each month from October to March (when daylight saving is in effect)

MTH-OCT-NOV-DEC-JAN-FEB-MAR
SYD-558-623-651-709-701-632
CNS-614-622-638-654-656-642

As you can see, for four of the six months, Sydney's EST sunset is later than Cairns, so the "it gets darker later here already" argument is actually false, as is the claim that the times of sunset is markedly different, on average the difference betwen the two is just 10 minutes.

haysey
2nd October 2008, 02:59 PM
Here's the EST sunset times for Sydney and Cairns on the first of each month from October to March (when daylight saving is in effect)

As you can see, for four of the six months, Sydney's EST sunset is later than Cairns, so the "it gets darker later here already" argument is actually false, as is the claim that the times of sunset is markedly different, on average the difference betwen the two is just 10 minutes.

Scottt, are those times plus 1 hour for Cairns, cause the times given seem like they would be without adding an hour.

For the record I'm all for daylight savings. 18 holes after work every day would be sweet:smt038

Scottt
2nd October 2008, 03:02 PM
They're just raw EST times, ie - no daylight saving taken into account for either location. They're from the Geoscience Australia website.

sms316
2nd October 2008, 03:04 PM

You don't like coming out 2nd in an argument, do you?
:mrgreen:

haysey
2nd October 2008, 03:05 PM
They're just raw EST times, ie - no daylight saving taken into account for either location. They're from the Geoscience Australia website.

Fair enough, thats effectively killed the "it gets darker here later argument" thats for sure.

Scottt
2nd October 2008, 03:09 PM
You don't like coming out 2nd in an argument, do you?

:lol:

Not when the other party's argument has more holes in it than a slab of swiss cheese.

Sydney Hacker
3rd October 2008, 11:50 AM
Looks like our discussion was a day early...

http://news.smh.com.au/national/daylight-saving-splits-sunshine-state-20081003-4t6g.html

BrisWesty
3rd October 2008, 06:59 PM
All these people praising Daylight Savings and getting 18 holes in after work. Why not get 18 holes in of a morning? It's light at 4:30, it's cooler than the afternoon and I can be home by about 6:30 after 18 holes of jog trot.

Despite that, I like Daylight Savings!

welshy
4th October 2008, 12:29 AM
18 holes of jog trot.

Despite that, I like Daylight Savings!

Jog trot?????????? Horse, man, both or neither?

BrisWesty
4th October 2008, 05:29 AM
Jog trot for me = hit ball, run, hit ball, jog, hit ball, stagger etc for 18 holes.

I don't really think I fit into the horse category. ;-)

goughy
4th October 2008, 06:32 AM
I'm trying to remember back to that referendum in '92. I had a vote in it! Now were the votes tallied based on electorates or just on total numbers? I seem to recall it being based on electorate percentages or something. Hence an electorate with say 4000 people had the same voice as one with 30000. I'm sure I just remember feeling ripped off at the time because more pure population voted for dls but more electorates voted against it.

I liked being able to get home from a night of clubbing and it still being dark rather than light! Although getting home in the light meant an even better night ;)

Now aren't they talking about the possibility of changing it for SEQ or something?

Julie
4th October 2008, 06:49 AM

Sorry Scott, but those times are wrong.
Last night sunset was more like 6.50pm.
It was still broad daylight at 614pm here.

sms316
4th October 2008, 09:09 AM
http://www.weatherzone.com.au/qld/nth-cst-and-tableland/cairns

Hmmm... maybe not.

Scottt
4th October 2008, 09:38 AM

No, they aren't.

AndyP
4th October 2008, 10:10 AM
Take a photo with a time stamp, Julie. ;)

kev
4th October 2008, 01:11 PM
Sunset = sun below the horizon. There's still residual daylight for a while after that.

Sydney Hacker
4th October 2008, 02:10 PM
Sunset = sun below the horizon. There's still residual daylight for a while after that.

Isn't there a whole range of times referring to the sun going down and not just "sunset" I seem to remember at school things like civil twilight, nautical twilight etc.

I don't know the difference between them all as far as a time range goes but they maybe the difference between what times Scottt has provided as being the official "sunset" and Julie saying it was still daylight at that time.

marcel
4th October 2008, 07:41 PM
Isn't there a whole range of times referring to the sun going down and not just "sunset" I seem to remember at school things like civil twilight, nautical twilight etc.

In aviation we use 'last light' to define dark. From my hazy memory it is when the top of the sun is 6 degrees below the horizon

Grunt
4th October 2008, 07:58 PM
Only bummer about daylight saving is that at the end of it earlier in the year I was on nightshift so I had a 13 hour shift paid as 12. Tonight I get less sleep as I start an hour earlier in the morning.

Fishman Dan
4th October 2008, 09:07 PM
Tonight I get less sleep as I start an hour earlier in the morning.

Then you should go to bed an hour earlier.

Peter
4th October 2008, 09:27 PM
Only bummer about daylight saving is that at the end of it earlier in the year I was on nightshift so I had a 13 hour shift paid as 12.
Do the people working tonight get paid for 12 hours when they only work 11?

Grunt
5th October 2008, 04:49 AM

Yes.

sms316
5th October 2008, 08:58 AM
It seems the website clocks haven't been updated.

Courty
5th October 2008, 10:09 AM

Yes.

WTF? :-s

haysey
5th October 2008, 10:12 AM
My phone seems to think its in New South Wales:roll:

Courty
5th October 2008, 10:17 AM
My phone seems to think its in New South Wales:roll:

Yeah, I had the same problem. :roll:

Just change the location to Brisbane in the settings.

haysey
5th October 2008, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I had the same problem. :roll:

Just change the location to Brisbane in the settings.

Thanks mate:D

BrisVegas
25th March 2009, 11:46 AM
idiot.

sms316
25th March 2009, 11:56 AM
Only another week and a half to go. My curtains have held up surprisingly well this year.

3oneday
25th March 2009, 01:03 PM
I'll be able to hit balls in the light in 10 days, yay !

Fishman Dan
25th March 2009, 01:38 PM
Had myself a booking to play Cooly Tweed today at Glad I voted for the DLS party on the weekend.

Only useful if you turned up to the voting booth in time.

Bruce
25th March 2009, 02:15 PM
I'm struggling with waking up in the dark.

But will have to run in the dark after work once it finishes.

Not sure which I will dislike more.

moree golfer
25th March 2009, 02:29 PM
I'll be able to hit balls in the light in 10 days, yay !
I am with you 3OD, its hard to get time in the pm as mother wants me home most days straight after work to look after the little tacker. Early in the morning is no problem :smt038.

Courty
3rd April 2009, 10:50 PM
Watch out for a bit of language...

q5q77MQzU2Q

Webster
4th April 2009, 08:45 AM
Stallone.....come here Stallone......

TheTrueReview
4th April 2009, 09:22 AM
Watch out for a bit of language...

Courty, that is an absolute classic. Gold http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/images/smilies/rofl2.gif

adlo
4th April 2009, 09:56 AM
Agreed... great find :lol:

Iain
4th April 2009, 10:35 AM
Gold County!!

grinna
4th April 2009, 11:27 AM
the daylight saving debate in WA is embarrassing, the 3 year trial was so that the whingers could get over it after the first year, doesn't seem to have worked. Tee off times last Saturday were delayed by half an hour because it was too dark for the early starters, poor management of things like this don't help

AndyP
4th April 2009, 03:11 PM
Maybe I should watch it again. I didn't find it that funny, and the fake accent was annoying.

Eag's
4th April 2009, 03:41 PM
"can you see the park? no you ****ing can't because it is to ****ing dark"
"have you seen my dog?"
Bahahahaha!!! that is some funny shit :smt005