PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading ?

damoocow
28th September 2008, 10:19 PM
Have to recommend a book I've just finished by Tony Martin [ex Late Show] called 'Lolly Scramble' - a very funny memoir............... also have to bag another autobiography called 'Grow Up' by Keith Allen [ex Comic Strip] - although I rate him highly as an actor, this book is just dribble, best to avoid...

mike
28th September 2008, 10:59 PM
Pillars Of The Earth by Ken Follett. Great read.

gazgolf1
29th September 2008, 04:50 AM
Lee Child - Bad Luck and Trouble.

Courty
29th September 2008, 06:05 AM
Alastair Reynolds - House Of Suns

PeteyD
29th September 2008, 07:37 AM
Abarat - Clive Barker, Sinner - Sara Douglas, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep - Philip K Dick.

Jarro
29th September 2008, 07:38 AM
Foxtel guide - October ... an absolute classic !

Eag's
29th September 2008, 08:31 AM

:lol:

sms316
29th September 2008, 01:17 PM
I didn't realise there was a colouring in section.
:-k

PeteyD
29th September 2008, 01:18 PM
He reads the other monthly mags delivered to his home as well. Well looks at them ...

dc68
29th September 2008, 01:22 PM

I'll second that if it's the one I'm thinking of...... About a monastery Mike?

chappy1970
29th September 2008, 01:49 PM
American Journeys - Don Watson

Just re-enforces my perception of those strange Americans

Grunt
29th September 2008, 01:53 PM
Am currently reading John Daly's - My Life in and out of the rough. Great read, a bloke I could really enjoy having a beer or two with.
We should invite him to the Champs, I reckon he would fit right in. A great room mate for DC.

Bruce
29th September 2008, 02:09 PM
Line and Strength - Glenn Mcgrath. Mostly dribble with few insights and lots of repetition of the quotes.
Ricky Gervais' biography - same.
Freakonomics - Essential reading. Nearly as good as Moneyball.

Flowergirl
29th September 2008, 02:12 PM
Fantastic book - just loved it. Also read World without End by Follett. Just awesome.

If you liked that try Sarum - author has escaped me.

dc68
29th September 2008, 02:58 PM
Am currently reading John Daly's - My Life in and out of the rough. Great read, a bloke I could really enjoy having a beer or two with.
We should invite him to the Champs, I reckon he would fit right in. A great room mate for DC.

I think I would end up like poor old Chops did last year if I shared a room with JD.

Grunt
29th September 2008, 05:22 PM
I think I would end up like poor old Chops did last year if I shared a room with JD.

Nah think that would be the first night second night you would be in hospital.

Minor_Threat
29th September 2008, 05:28 PM
Scar Tissue - Autobiography of Anthony Keidis (Red Hot Chilli Peppers)

Jarro
29th September 2008, 05:34 PM
Scar Tissue - Autobiography of Anthony Keidis (Red Hot Chilli Peppers)

I'm guessing that would be an interesting read ;)

AndyP
29th September 2008, 05:39 PM
For those looking for some other book recommendations, see this old old thread: http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=962

I'm currently going through Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. I've put it off for 10 years, because it seemed to be too big and dragging on. Great move by me picking it up now, as the author dies leaving one book left to write in the series. :roll: Apparently another author has been sorted to finish it from his notes.

Anyway, I'm five down out of 12, and he just doesn't seem to progress the story fast enough. The story itself is fine, but it just needs to hurry the **** up.

Since it's a bit hardcore reading all these back to back, I've been throwing in some Terry Pratchett books, which is much more light hearted.

welshy
29th September 2008, 05:53 PM
sorry to be the first to say this, but what I am reading atm is ozgolf forums ;)

PeteyD
29th September 2008, 06:02 PM
WOT bogs down a bit and becomes the continuing saga of the whining women. But it does pick up quite dramatically. You'll have to slog through. The new one is apparently out early next year.

AndyP
29th September 2008, 06:09 PM
WOT bogs down a bit and becomes the continuing saga of the whining women. But it does pick up quite dramatically. You'll have to slog through. The new one is apparently out early next year.I'm imagining the hold queue at the library already. :shock:

I think I'm in the whining women section that you speak of. Thanks for the heads up.

welshy
29th September 2008, 06:25 PM
For those looking for some other book recommendations, see this old old thread: http://www.ozgolf.net/forums/showthread.php?t=962

I'm currently going through Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. I've put it off for 10 years, because it seemed to be too big and dragging on. Great move by me picking it up now, as the author dies leaving one book left to write in the series. :roll: Apparently another author has been sorted to finish it from his notes.

Anyway, I'm five down out of 12, and he just doesn't seem to progress the story fast enough. The story itself is fine, but it just needs to hurry the **** up.

Since it's a bit hardcore reading all these back to back, I've been throwing in some Terry Pratchett books, which is much more light hearted.
Wheel of Time is a great series and will reward you for finishing it - t pratchett always good value

Tones
29th September 2008, 07:34 PM
I'm a big fan of the WOT books, the author finishing the series is Brandon Sanderson. I've just finished the second book in his "Mistborn" trilogy. He has a blog he updates regularly and is now over 60% through the last WOT novel.
[/URL][URL="http://www.brandonsanderson.com"]www.brandonsanderson.com (http://www.brandonsanderson.com)

Minor_Threat
29th September 2008, 08:26 PM
I'm guessing that would be an interesting read ;)
Very interesting indeed..

Unbelievable life he has led, he probably should be dead about 12 times with the amount of drugs he has done!

Courty
29th September 2008, 08:53 PM
I just remembered something that I recently read. An author (whose name escapes me atm) has the approval of Douglas Adams' estate to write a 6th part of the ever-increasing Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy 'trilogy'.

I think I better re-read the first 5 books to brush up.

PeteyD
29th September 2008, 08:56 PM
6th? What is the 5th book?

Courty
29th September 2008, 09:00 PM
1. The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy
2. The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe
3. Lie, The Universe & Everything
4. So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish
5. Mostly Harmless

6. And Another Thing... (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7619828.stm) (by Eoin Colfer)

PeteyD
29th September 2008, 09:04 PM
Oh I havent; read mostly harmless. Cool. Eoin Colfer writes kids books - artemis fowl or something like that, should be a good choice.

Johnny Canuck
29th September 2008, 09:48 PM

Also try "The Third Twin". Very good read.

This is one I really want to read.

Just read:
"Who's your Caddy" - Rick Rielly : He's a writer for Sports Illustrated that manages to persuade some pro golfers and other celebs to let him caddy in a few tournaments. Some very funny moments.

"Paper Tiger" - Tom Coyne : True story of a guy who decides to take all his savings and blow it spending a year trying to become a pro golfer and make it through Q School. Very good read, especially for any of us (myself included) that have shared this dream.

LarryLong
29th September 2008, 10:42 PM
I stopped reading the WOT around six books in when I worked out that it wasn't going to be finished any time soon. Figured I would give up and wait for the last book. Don't know how keen I'm going to be to slog my way through them again after hearing that Robert Jordan died and somebody else had to finish the series, but I dare say I'll give it a go. A really good read, even if it did suffer from Carnivale/Lost/Desperate Housewives syndrome of having a really good start and then slowing things down and trying to stretch out the middle bit for as long as possible. I guess that's just a product of a world where writers get paid by the book. Can't say I blame 'em.

Since WOT, I refuse to start a fantasy book unless I know the author has finished the last book in the series. And since I just found out that Greg Keyes has finished "A kingdom of thorn and bone", I think I know what I'll be reading next.

AndyP
30th September 2008, 07:41 AM
Since WOT, I refuse to start a fantasy book unless I know the author has finished the last book in the series. And since I just found out that Greg Keyes has finished "A kingdom of thorn and bone", I think I know what I'll be reading next.Don't start on George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series then. I really got into it, but he's taking forever to write the latest instalment (which is meant to be the third last or something, but who knows).

Terry Goodkind has now finished his Sword of Truth series, and that's a really good read.

Colin
1st October 2008, 12:30 AM
I just finished 'The Broken Window' by Jeffrey Deaver - love his stuff, especially the Lincoln Rhyme stuff.

And I started on Clive Cussler's "The Navigator" a few days ago. Good read so far...

Col

Scottt
1st October 2008, 09:24 PM
Recommendations for anyone who cares for them:

Odd Thomas and Life Expectancy by Dean Koontz
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger

Probably the five most satisfying books I have ever read.

damoocow
1st October 2008, 09:30 PM
Recommendations for anyone who cares for them:

Odd Thomas and Life Expectancy by Dean Koontz
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger

Probably the five most satisfying books I have ever read.

Of course this is all personal opinion and if you like it then am happy for you ! but I think Catcher in the Rye is the biggest load of tripe ever written...

Courty
1st October 2008, 09:32 PM
I rate Fallen Dragon by Peter F. Hamilton as one of my best.

Scottt
1st October 2008, 09:42 PM
Of course this is all personal opinion and if you like it then am happy for you ! but I think Catcher in the Rye is the biggest load of tripe ever written...
Why's that?

damoocow
1st October 2008, 09:50 PM
Why's that?

Read it a few years ago so forgive any inaccuracies but I thought the central character {Caulfield ?] was very dull and his 'city' escapades were poorly written and boring - contrary to themes of mental illness[?] I found it all very pedestrian

Scottt
1st October 2008, 09:53 PM
I thought it captured the essence of being a guy in his late teens very well. The conflict, confusion, expectation...

I first read it at age 17 so maybe that's why I identified with it so closely at the time, but having said that I re-read it at about 21 and again a few months back and still enjoy it as much as I did the first time.

Scottt
1st October 2008, 09:54 PM
Of course when labelling any book the biggest load of tripe ever written, you need to remember that any book you nominate is competing against everything Dan Brown ever penned :lol:

damoocow
1st October 2008, 10:06 PM
I thought it captured the essence of being a guy in his late teens very well. The conflict, confusion, expectation...

I first read it at age 17 so maybe that's why I identified with it so closely at the time, but having said that I re-read it at about 21 and again a few months back and still enjoy it as much as I did the first time.

fair enough - if it gives you that identification then it works for you - one of my favourite pieces of writing also covers the themes of conflict/confusion etc but prob at an early 20's age range - can I recommend you look at getting hold of a play called "Look Back In Anger' by John Osborne - it revolutionised British Theatre in the 50's probably in a similar way that Salinger's novel did in the USA.....alternatively you could look at work by English playwright Edward Bond who also covered similar themes - I think you would find their work interesting

Scottt
1st October 2008, 10:07 PM
Cool, thanks a heap. Will check them out.

LarryLong
1st October 2008, 10:12 PM
If anybody's looking for recommendations, try reading "The Talisman" by Stephen King and Peter Straube.

I started "Across the Nightingale Floor" by Lian Hearn today. No idea if it is a good read or not, but the second hand book store had all 3 volumes in the series so I took the plunge.

PeteyD
1st October 2008, 10:14 PM
The lian Herne books are pretty good.

sms316
5th June 2012, 12:47 PM
Has anyone read "50 Shades of Grey"? It looks quite interesting.

dc68
5th June 2012, 01:09 PM
Did you knock it over in the waiting room?

sms316
5th June 2012, 01:11 PM
Haven't read it. Some people in the office were discussing it yesterday. Amazing what you hear when you are confined to quarters.

Eldrick
5th June 2012, 01:28 PM
Haven't read it. Some people in the office were discussing it yesterday. Amazing what you hear when you are confined to quarters.

if they are women keep an eye on them

dave1
5th June 2012, 07:41 PM
Reading has taken a back seat since I got foxtel. Usually read at 11-11.30pm buf now it's like one more over of cricket...Or another few holes of golf or one more set if tennis!

No time to read in the day.

sms316
5th June 2012, 07:45 PM
if they are women keep an eye on them Women indeed. The mind boggles.

Pencil
6th June 2012, 12:51 AM
The Slash autobiography for me, not as good as I thought it would be.

And a few book into the Michael Connelly series as well.

gazgolf1
6th June 2012, 04:35 AM
I've read all the Michael Connelly books he's very good, check out Robert Crais when you run out of Connelly's.
Reading Moneyball at the minute and working my way thru Vince Flynn.