PDA

View Full Version : Grip Size and releasing the club

goonie
26th September 2008, 12:22 PM
Can oversized grips cause you to release the club early and cause a hook, or could it be the new lighter shafts that I have fitted, or a combo of both?

Story in detail
I just fitted my DGSL shafts to a set of Snake Eyes 600C heads, they are std length and SW at D1. But I noticed the shaft butt (.600) on the DGSL is bigger than the other shafts that I have, and the butt section goes well past the end of the grip at what seems to be the same .600 Diameter. I have fitted a set of Tour Velvet .580 grips to the clubs with one wrap of tape. this has made the grips slightly oversized, but mainly for the bottom hand. Could this be causing the hook I was hitting at the range last night?

Courty
26th September 2008, 12:24 PM
I understand that oversize grips have the opposite effect. Can't remember where I read it though.

Iain
26th September 2008, 12:28 PM
Courty's right, oversize cause the hands not to release as effectively. Because it places the grip more in the palm of the hand.

BrisVegas
26th September 2008, 12:32 PM
I'd heard that .580 grips were thicker than .600 grips so that could be part of the problem (to compensate for the thinner shaft). I could be wrong though.

And yeah, I'd heard thicker grips helped reduce hand action so that shouldn't cause a hook. The hook would be due to the lighter shaft & swingweight I reckon.

goonie
26th September 2008, 01:09 PM
I have also heard the same thing about an oversized grip. but was just wondering if it could possible cause the opposite in some cases as well. the thing I am worried about is the larger Dia. under the right hand and that the larger grip might be stopping me ****ing my wrists as much and then releasing early? Does anyone remember those Feel Release grips that had the larger diameter at he bottom of the grip and slightly smaller diameter at the top? they were designed to help with a slice from memory.

andylo
26th September 2008, 01:43 PM
blahblahblah.....

I have fitted a set of Tour Velvet .580 grips to the clubs with one wrap of tape. this has made the grips slightly oversized, but mainly for the bottom hand. Could this be causing the hook I was hitting at the range last night?

As far as I concern here is your problem.

As you mention on your last post it creates the "Feel Golf Release grip" effect.

Minor_Threat
26th September 2008, 04:09 PM
Oversize grips definitely reduce the amount of hand action and will help you hold the club open at impact.

Releasing the club will not be causing your hook, you must have some other issues.

andylo
26th September 2008, 04:11 PM
but overly releasing the club will cause the hook, right?

Minor_Threat
26th September 2008, 04:18 PM
but overly releasing the club will cause the hook, right?
You cant overly release the club..

goonie
26th September 2008, 05:13 PM
Oversize grips definitely reduce the amount of hand action and will help you hold the club open at impact.

Releasing the club will not be causing your hook, you must have some other issues.

Sorry to tell you but my other clubs (Woods. wedges and Hybrids) are ok and my other irons too, which i had a few with me at the range. So it's either the grips or the lighter shafts.

And I think you will find you can release the club early, I think it's called casting and hook/pull the ball but still make good contact.

Minor_Threat
26th September 2008, 05:41 PM
Sorry to tell you but my other clubs (Woods. wedges and Hybrids) are ok and my other irons too, which i had a few with me at the range. So it's either the grips or the lighter shafts.

And I think you will find you can release the club early, I think it's called casting and hook/pull the ball but still make good contact.
Thats fine mate, most people blame their clubs..

If you find that your release is causing you to hit hooks then your ball position is wrong!

I don't want to come across as a know it all, but I taught golf for almost 10 years, and would like to think I know a little bit about the physics of a golf swing.. ;)

welshy
26th September 2008, 05:51 PM
just a thought not really related to grip size, but more a mental approach are you clearing your left hip to early b4 impact? I know when I do that it causes a hook even though my natural shot is a fade - and it's absolutely fantastic when it happens when I aim left edge fairway! :smt093

goonie
26th September 2008, 07:50 PM
Thats fine mate, most people blame their clubs..

If you find that your release is causing you to hit hooks then your ball position is wrong!

I don't want to come across as a know it all, but I taught golf for almost 10 years, and would like to think I know a little bit about the physics of a golf swing.. ;)

Maybe I need to alter my ball position for the new clubs, but something in these lighter clubs is changing something in my swing. I actually gripped down on a few shots last night and they were straighter. Will try and make the grips a bit thinner tonight and try them tomorrow.

goonie
27th September 2008, 04:59 PM
Removed the tape from under the grips and thinned them out a bit last night, took them out today and had one of the best iron hitting days in a very long time (wasn't my best day off the tee thou). I think I have worked out what the problem was. When taking my normal grip (I thought), with the larger grip, my left hand had actually moved into a stronger position which was causing me to close the clubface and hook the ball all the time. Thinning the grip, mainly under the left hand, was putting my left hand in a much better position that also felt natural.

Daves
6th October 2009, 07:59 PM
Some questions regarding grip size that I would appreciate some thoughts/guidance on if I may?

I had a couple of drivers re-gripped on the weekend, as the old grips were shagged. I choose Golf Pride DD2's;

http://www.golfpride.com/grips/noncord/dd2_midsize.aspx

I find cord grips too hard on my hands and prefer rubber/soft grips. My old grips were standard size with a couple of wraps of tape. I wear an XL glove and from the charts I have seen based on my hand measurements (20.5cm and 9cm index) I seem to be in the bottom end of the range for Midsize grips. The fitter put a couple of wraps of tape on. Now trying to get used to the larger grip size, I have it under reasonable control at the range but my driving has been poor recently on the course and the larger grip size is so far adding to the challenge:roll:. I do still have a another driver with a standard grip that I can revert too or use for comparison purposes.

So my questions are;

1) is grip size trial and error and the size charts only a guide?

2) My iron grips are still standard size, any negatives with mixing grips sizes?

3) do you tend to lose some "feel" as the grip size gets larger?, or does it depend on the grip type etc?

4) I understand the impact on release of the larger grip size, and I have been tending to slice/fade the ball more recently, but that tendency was there before the grip change. Having said that I can still hit a ripper rolling hook if I over compensate. So can persevering with a larger grip size, providing it is the right size, ultimately help to improve my release by making me work harder on it?

5) can changing grips have an impact on swing weight and club balance?

Any thoughts and experience appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

razaar
7th October 2009, 08:07 AM
Lee, I don't want to sound like a broken record, but it may be that the right shoulder is coming in too early and you are not concentrating on starting the ball off on the proper line. The shot you are describing has the club head shut at impact and 2or 3 degrees outside to in. The ball tells all, we have to listen to what it is saying and adjust.

Daves
8th October 2009, 09:00 AM
Some questions regarding grip size that I would appreciate some thoughts/guidance on if I may?

I had a couple of drivers re-gripped on the weekend, as the old grips were shagged. I choose Golf Pride DD2's;

I find cord grips too hard on my hands and prefer rubber/soft grips. My old grips were standard size with a couple of wraps of tape. I wear an XL glove and from the charts I have seen based on my hand measurements (20.5cm and 9cm index) I seem to be in the bottom end of the range for Midsize grips. The fitter put a couple of wraps of tape on. Now trying to get used to the larger grip size, I have it under reasonable control at the range but my driving has been poor recently on the course and the larger grip size is so far adding to the challenge:roll:. I do still have a another driver with a standard grip that I can revert too or use for comparison purposes.

So my questions are;

2) My iron grips are still standard size, any negatives with mixing grips sizes?

3) do you tend to lose some "feel" as the grip size gets larger?, or does it depend on the grip type etc?

4) I understand the impact on release of the larger grip size, and I have been tending to slice/fade the ball more recently, but that tendency was there before the grip change. Having said that I can still hit a ripper rolling hook if I over compensate. So can persevering with a larger grip size, providing it is the right size, ultimately help to improve my release by making me work harder on it?

Cheers

Dave

Bump,

maybe I should start a new thread?;)

Any thoughts appreciated?

TourFit
8th October 2009, 11:43 AM

So my questions are;

Cheers

Dave

OK here goes, I'll answer them as you listed them:

No, IMO it is NOT trial and error. The size of the grip should be suited to the size your hand measures up to. You can adjust up or down, but I usually only go one category either side (or +/- 1/64") UNLESS there is some issue such as arthritis, injury...The trial and error part is what grip you want on it. As a clubmaker I don't care, you are the one holding the club and YOU choose a grip you prefer.
Again, IMO YES I see a problem mixing grip sizes...would you wear two different size shoes on your feet ???
Feel is ALL YOU...if you think you're losing feel, then you're losing feel. The grip type has a certain amount of feedback to it, some lessen vibration and others are thinner (such as GP Multi Compounds), but the size should match your hand. The further the grip size deviates from your proper hand measurement (in EITHER direction) the less 'feel' you will have.
Grip size will have minimal effect on a fundamental swing flaw...fix the flaw !!!
ABSOLUTELY !!! Especially if you go from a std size grip to an Oversize or Jumbo. The GP Multi Compound (a VERY popular grip) for example is only 47-48g in weight...many people I know have changed to this grip and the result was that the swingweight got heavier (they were replacing 52-56g grips). If the weight of the new grip IS THE SAME as the one being replaced then no, the balance will remain the same (or very similar). What will change is the feel of the grip, it's comfort level, it's vibration control characteristics, how it plays when moist or wet, it's longevity etc etc etc
HOPE THIS HELPS...?

Daves
8th October 2009, 02:32 PM
OK here goes, I'll answer them as you listed them:

No, IMO it is NOT trial and error. The size of the grip should be suited to the size your hand measures up to. You can adjust up or down, but I usually only go one category either side (or +/- 1/64") UNLESS there is some issue such as arthritis, injury...The trial and error part is what grip you want on it. As a clubmaker I don't care, you are the one holding the club and YOU choose a grip you prefer.
Again, IMO YES I see a problem mixing grip sizes...would you wear two different size shoes on your feet ???
Feel is ALL YOU...if you think you're losing feel, then you're losing feel. The grip type has a certain amount of feedback to it, some lessen vibration and others are thinner (such as GP Multi Compounds), but the size should match your hand. The further the grip size deviates from your proper hand measurement (in EITHER direction) the less 'feel' you will have.
Grip size will have minimal effect on a fundamental swing flaw...fix the flaw !!!
ABSOLUTELY !!! Especially if you go from a std size grip to an Oversize or Jumbo. The GP Multi Compound (a VERY popular grip) for example is only 47-48g in weight...many people I know have changed to this grip and the result was that the swingweight got heavier (they were replacing 52-56g grips). If the weight of the new grip IS THE SAME as the one being replaced then no, the balance will remain the same (or very similar). What will change is the feel of the grip, it's comfort level, it's vibration control characteristics, how it plays when moist or wet, it's longevity etc etc etc

HOPE THIS HELPS...?Many thanks TourFit, that definitely helps me a lot.

1) I wondered why the fitter did not go through a measurement process? Looking at Golfsmiths Grip selector chart I come up at the top end of a +1/32" oversize based on my hand length. Which raises the question as to why I was fitted with standard size grips on my irons?! Some questions I will put to both fitters at opportunity.

2) Another discussion with the fitter!

3) I suspect it is mostly the new grip material and not being used to the larger grip that is causing the different "feel".

4) I am working on it, honest:smt079

5) I looked up the weight of my old grips - 52g, the DD2s are listed at 57g (+/-3.5g!?), so only 5g difference, not as much as I thought it might be. I will discuss with the fitter and get him to check the swing weights. I have had a couple of wraps of tape taken off to see how much different they feel.

Again thanks for the reply and guidance TourFit, it is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

TourFit
8th October 2009, 03:06 PM
Larger grips usually have more weight in them, but then you don't need the tape underneath...

It'll kind of be 1/2 - 1 swingweight point lighter for the clubs...you could temporarily counteract this by adding a 2" long thin strip of lead tape...

BTW, 1 swingweight point is hardly noticeable AT ALL...by anyone. Even guys like Mickelson and Tiger (VERY particular and sensitive) would only just pick that up. I am sensitive to about 1.5 swingweight points, but not so much with only 1.

Daves
8th October 2009, 07:42 PM
Larger grips usually have more weight in them, but then you don't need the tape underneath...

It'll kind of be 1/2 - 1 swingweight point lighter for the clubs...you could temporarily counteract this by adding a 2" long thin strip of lead tape...

BTW, 1 swingweight point is hardly noticeable AT ALL...by anyone. Even guys like Mickelson and Tiger (VERY particular and sensitive) would only just pick that up. I am sensitive to about 1.5 swingweight points, but not so much with only 1.

I should get my swing weights checked anyway, it is something I have been meaning to get done.

Looking at Golfsmiths site tonight and found these comments on the Golf Pride DD2 page;

A midsize grip is recommended for golfers that fit into a L or XL glove size.

Independent surveys show that, on average, regripping clubs improves scores three to four strokes per round. Other studies reveal that golfers play 18 holes per week should regrip their clubs once a year.

So who uses midsize or larger grips? Have you always, if not what made you change?

And who wears a L or XL glove and has standard size grips?

Daves
16th November 2009, 01:48 PM
Just a little update on my posts in this thread. Got my grips replaced with midsize Tour Velvets. They are great, so good I hardly even think about them.

BrisVegas
16th November 2009, 02:14 PM
I wear an L-XL glove, but prefer a smaller grip size. I like to feel like the club is in my fingers, but then I'm a laggy/handsy kinda player. I've got a 5 wood at the moment with a midsize GP dual durometer I got from lucky and it just feels horrible. When the grip is too big it feels like it forces me into gripping with a weak 'V' position.

zigwah
16th November 2009, 08:46 PM
you know what they say about guys who prefer smaller grips ;)

Eag's
16th November 2009, 10:46 PM
So thicker grips can help stop the hooks eh? :-k
Might have to steal some grips of Hux or Haysey ;)

adlo
16th November 2009, 11:45 PM
Eag's, the right size grip does wonders. I err on the thicker side of what is recommended (I think I have ended up liking 2 papers under a mid size grip). It takes tension out of the hands. You'll never go back....

just
23rd November 2009, 10:21 AM
Has anyone tried a non-tapered grip or at least a grip with most of the taper taken out? I'm thinking about doing this or maybe going up to midsize grips.

Jarro
23rd November 2009, 10:27 AM
Has anyone tried a non-tapered grip or at least a grip with most of the taper taken out? I'm thinking about doing this or maybe going up to midsize grips.

I can't say that i have, but i'd be keen to hear how it goes for you just.

Any particular reason why you decided to go this way ?

just
23rd November 2009, 10:49 AM
Jarro
During the champs I developed a blister reasonably high up on one of the fingers of my right hand, that combined with a few other things make me think I have been gripping the club too high in my fingers, at least in my right hand, and a grip with the taper taken out or a midsize might get the grip lower in my fingers, hopefully leading to a better grip and more control.

It's either that or I wank too much.

henno
23rd November 2009, 06:19 PM
It's either that or I wank too much.

No such thing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I_PeLNzxNQ).

Yossarian
23rd November 2009, 08:58 PM
I hesitate to click on that.

zacdullard
23rd November 2009, 09:14 PM
The link doesn't work, i assume it is a code for the youtube video.

markTHEblake
23rd November 2009, 09:18 PM
I clicked on it and it said the network manager has blocked that content.

zacdullard
23rd November 2009, 09:22 PM
I assume this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I_PeLNzxNQ) is what it was supposed to be.

henno
23rd November 2009, 09:24 PM
Sorry guys. Text buffer fail (and fixed).

Rusty
24th November 2009, 10:48 AM
Just Blakey and i (and Baz sometimes) use the karakal grips - mainly their xtack. there's very little, if any taper. best spot i found to buy from was here (http://www.bestbuygolfsupply.com/golfcomponentsparts/golfgrips/karakalgolfgrips.html). i've got, i think 2 papers under mine to make them the equivalent of the Ping Gold colour code grip (+1/32"). there's no taper on my grips.

i've gone in the other direction to most with "release" of the club. when consciously releasing, i usually do it too early, becoming a bit flippy at the ball. what i've noticed is when i consciously keep my wrists firm (ie. very little movement), the ball flight is stronger and more piercing.
so i've gone the none taper, larger grip route to minimise the flip.

maybe, if you wanted to try, you could just get extra tape put under the right hand area of the grip, to experiment with taking out the taper.

pm me if you go to buy any Karakal grips as i'd like to get some Jumbo V putter grips to experiment with. i like my Jumbo 10 putter grip but it only fits in 2 slots of my golf bag :-k .

just
24th November 2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks Rusty, I'll build up a couple of my clubs to give it a try. I've seen Blakeys Karakal's and I like them, very interested.

Rusty
24th November 2009, 11:50 AM
i may even have 3 or 4 papers under mine. can't remember. i've got the X-tack - Black/Orange (YV-BK/OR-PUB).

Daves
25th November 2009, 08:58 AM
I wear an L-XL glove, but prefer a smaller grip size. I like to feel like the club is in my fingers, but then I'm a laggy/handsy kinda player. I've got a 5 wood at the moment with a midsize GP dual durometer I got from lucky and it just feels horrible. When the grip is too big it feels like it forces me into gripping with a weak 'V' position.

Thr first club I got upsized to a midsize grip was my Driver. I chose a GP DDR2 (the yellow/black ones). Initially with about 4 wraps,but we backed that off to just one. At first I was really hesitant about it, it felt really strange. I also found my hand ached a bit after using it. Now that I am used to the larger grips, I reckon it is one of the best things I have done with my clubs! I find I set my grip much more naturally now, and can manipulate it much better when needed. But it did take a while for me to adapt.

Ned
25th November 2009, 09:01 AM
At first I was really hesitant about it, it felt really strange. I also found my hand ached a bit after using it. Now that I am used to the larger grips, I reckon it is one of the best things I have done with my clubs! I find I set my grip much more naturally now, and can manipulate it much better when needed.

= a Technically Minded, Savvy, Sandbagging, Ho!!!!!!!:mrgreen:

MegaWatty
22nd March 2010, 01:10 AM
The joys of a good search on this site. I wanted to check up on this thread and I'm glad it was so easy to find!

I've had the hooks, and had them BAD yesterday and remembered this thread. I used to play with 2 to 3 papers under my grips. When I got the Pure Grips, I just threw them on with no papers. They are .580's so that probably helped a touch. Tonight when reading through again, I noticed mention of Golfsmith's grip measurement page. My hands fell into the Men's +1/32" Oversize category. But then with the middle finger measuring over 3", it suggests I jump up to the Men's +1/16" Oversize category.

The good news is that I bought me a Maltby grip measurement tool with all the different widths notched out. Most clubs needed 4 wraps! On top of that, there's a bit of info out there about how not every club or shaft or even grip is the same, so each grip when fitted should be measured to make sure it's correct. This had me putting 4 wraps on most, but 3 on 1 and 5 on another. All the iron shafts were pretty much spot on, but when the graphite shafts are all cut in different places, then it must create a bit of difference.

So it's actually not as simple of saying to the retailer or club fitter that I want a grip with 3 papers under it thanks. Each club/grip has the chance of being different!

Now I can't wait to get out there and use them again! I love having that little bit of knowledge to tinker with my own clubs. It actually gives me confidence knowing that I have checked each one myself. And damn, does the blowing on and off of grips make life so damn easy?!?!?!

Daggs
22nd March 2010, 02:22 AM
So how are those pure grips holding up Watty and have you used in the wet at all... if youve had any wet over there that is...

MegaWatty
22nd March 2010, 02:26 AM
No rain in the Eastern suburbs of Perth since November! Mind you, the City had only recorded 0.2mm in the same time! The QLD and NSW boys that bought in may be able to answer that!

razaar
22nd March 2010, 09:41 AM
Grip size for me is all about feeling the clubhead. The feel fingers for me are the two middle fingers of the right hand. I like to have the middle crease of these two fingers on the underside of the grip with the grip sitting in the fingers. If the grip touches the palm then I haven't got the same sensitivity of where the clubhead is.

Not sure where the release of the club relates to grip size. Release is the uncocking of the wrists and corkscrewing the face through 90* back to square which has more to do with grip pressure, forearms and timing. For a more active release (if you have trouble squaring the face at impact) grip the club more in the fingers of the left hand. A good grip pressure will allow the forearms to be rotated easily by a mate turning the clubhead without the grip shifting in your hands. If the face closes to quickly, a grip more in the palm of the left hand may be all that is needed.