PDA

View Full Version : Golf Ball choices - Based on weather . . !

virge666
21st September 2008, 08:19 PM
Before we start I have always been a Pro V1 user. X in Summer standard V1 in Winter.

Lately - I have been trialling other balls. well 3 to be exact The cally tour X and ix and also the Nike range.

Now I am sure there is a custom element to this but I found Callaway balls to be really really short in Winter and cold mornings. And the Pro V and Nike balls to be a lot more consistant.

As we come back into spring - I bought another sleeve and they are better but still not as good as the Nike Plat or Pro V. BUT . . . I played in QLD with the Caly and they were long if not longer than the Pro V1. Especially with shorter irons and high lofted woods.

But durability on the Cally is not it's strong point . . so after 3 or so months of playing and practicing with all three balls - I have settled on the Nike Ball for two reasons. Stupidly good spin off the mid irons. Good distance with driver and 3 wood. but - durability is fantastic.

i don't change my golf balls - I just play them till I lose them or they tear. The Cally's tear . . . a lot. The Pro V1 last a bit longer but they also tear. The Nike seem to last around 4 rounds of golf before they are a bit too shredded.

So I am on the Nike 1 Plats for a while... good price, last forever and are much better than Cally in the cold.

My two cents - anyone got any similar experiences or contradictions.

simmsy
21st September 2008, 10:30 PM
I have always found that Callaways scuff up way more than most other brands, so have written them off for that reason.
I do usually play a longer type ball during the winter months as when the greens are wet with the rains anything will hold pretty well.
During the summer months I tend to try and use something with a bit more bite around the greens and rely on the dryer fw's to give me the distance rolling out a bit more.
Trying to find something that I'm happy with for the coming summer at the moment. Been trying the Bridgey E6+ but not getting alot of hold on the greens (I am not a big spinner....of a ball anyway) going to give the Titty nxt tour a run to see how that goes.
Haven't come across the Nike Plat before, might have to check them out.
Anyone used the new Bridgestone b330rx?? like the look of them for my swing speed or what about the Topflite Gamer??

3oneday
22nd September 2008, 07:37 AM
The Tour I and Tour Ix are a great improvement for Cally, the HX balls used to mark but you can get 36 holes out of a Tour I and they still look pretty good 8)

Webster
22nd September 2008, 08:59 AM
Try the Srixon Z-URC. Meets all the criteria you are looking for at about $40 a box.

I disagree on the Callaway balls re: durability - I find them excellent and much better than the ProV1 rubbish.

Scottt
22nd September 2008, 09:03 AM
I'm with Jack on the durability of Titty balls. I sued to tear a ProV up in 12 holes or so, but I get 36 from a HX Tour 56.

henno
22nd September 2008, 09:40 AM
I seem to tear up my HX Hot Bites pretty quick. I have only ever had one ball that made it the full 18 holes before I relegated it to the practice bag.

For some reason, I have never had a ProV1/x last a full 18 either - not because of durability, but every time I have played them I have lost them after a half-dozen holes - so I suppose really have nothing to compare the Cally's to.

Matt 3 Jab
22nd September 2008, 10:23 AM
I tear up any ball i use, but i just keep using it, it doesnt make any difference to me.

I usually bounce the balls on the concrete walking between holes. I use it till it gets lost.

Johnny Canuck
22nd September 2008, 11:44 AM
i agree with jack in that i have found the callys to be very durable.

i love the srixons, all z-ur versions, but destroy them quicker than any other ball on the market.

Flowergirl
22nd September 2008, 12:37 PM
Maybe it's not the balls that are the difference. Maybe when you are warmer you swing smoother and freely so you make better contact.

I don't believe this for a moment but thought it was an interesting theory:roll:

Dazza
22nd September 2008, 01:05 PM
i agree with jack in that i have found the callys to be very durable.

As have I.
Not a drama with either the HX Tour, or Tour 56.

sms316
22nd September 2008, 01:13 PM
I used the Cally ix for the last 2 days on sanded greens and they got through each round quite well. Picked up a dozen so I guess I am a convert.

Johnny Canuck
22nd September 2008, 02:21 PM
i have only played on sand greens a couple times, but is there any point to using a premium ball on them? just curious. the sand greens i played on would have made no difference if i was using a pro v or a hot dot. that being said, i still used a dt solo or something similar so it at lease felt decent when i hit the ball.

sms316
22nd September 2008, 02:23 PM
I meant sanded as in cored and sanded.

Soft pills are a waste of time of sand greens. The only reason you would use them would be because you know how far you hit them.

Johnny Canuck
22nd September 2008, 03:19 PM
ahhhh. my mistake. sanded, i only read "sand". 4 hours sleep does wonder for the mind.

stupid ice hockey tipping draft last night. why can't everyone is canada respect the fact that am 11am start means 11pm over here?

adlo
25th October 2008, 05:43 PM
Anyone used the new Bridgestone b330rx?? like the look of them for my swing speed or what about the Topflite Gamer??
Simmsy, finally picked up a sleeve of the 330rx to test. Curious about the sales pitch behind these.

All in all a very nice golf ball. Distance same as the e6+, slightly higher trajectory, better durabilty and much better greenside. However, much dearer :evil:

simmsy
28th October 2008, 11:02 AM
Yeah saw the price the other day, $70 ouch!
I might wait until they start appearing at squizzys or brookwater.
I try and steer clear of the premium prices pills as i am lazy as when it comes to looking for a ball especially on practice rounds, if it aint on the fairway i pretty much forget about it and move on.

mikezone13
28th October 2008, 11:22 AM
The Tour I and Tour Ix are a great improvement for Cally, the HX balls used to mark but you can get 36 holes out of a Tour I and they still look pretty good 8)

Agree 100% the old Cally's were rubbish after about 6 holes for me, but have been trialling the Tour iX and have been very happy.

I'm still partial to the TP Reds (with LDP) and the Pro v1/x's but the Tour iX is definitely up there now.

As for the Nikes, I've never found I've had as much 'feel' with these balls (as in they don't feel as soft), still the Platinum's aren't a bad ball for the price and are definitely durable (similar to the TP's in that regard).

peter_rs
28th October 2008, 11:41 AM
Mike have you tried the new Platinum's they are as soft as butter and don't last

Dazza
28th October 2008, 11:56 AM
Have I got this right....

Tour I = Hx Tour
Tour IX= Hx Tour 56

Slowly running my old supply down, so might have to invest in a few shortly.

3oneday
28th October 2008, 12:05 PM
Tour I = Hx 56
Tour IX= Hx Tour

the IX is the harder one.

mikezone13
28th October 2008, 12:27 PM
Mike have you tried the new Platinum's they are as soft as butter and don't last

Don't think I have tried the new ones - will steer clear then, cheers.

adlo
28th October 2008, 09:15 PM
Yeah saw the price the other day, $70 ouch!
I might wait until they start appearing at squizzys or brookwater.
I try and steer clear of the premium prices pills as i am lazy as when it comes to looking for a ball especially on practice rounds, if it aint on the fairway i pretty much forget about it and move on.
Yeah they need to be discounted, which shouldn't take too long. I figured it was worth the outlay for a sleeve to see how they went.

Dazza
28th October 2008, 09:40 PM
Another question....
My wife is currently playing with E6/E6+. She has a slow swing speed, would she be better off trying a harder ball to get more distance? (HX Tour?)

virge666
29th October 2008, 10:04 PM
Another question....
My wife is currently playing with E6/E6+. She has a slow swing speed, would she be better off trying a harder ball to get more distance? (HX Tour?)

No - she would be better with a low compression ball.

ie: A womens ball.

A chick with a slow swing speed is losing 10's of meters by using any kind of blokes ball. The difference is huge !!

Grab a sleeve of Cally "pearl" balls and you will see what I mean.

shazza_rs
29th October 2008, 10:43 PM
I use Titleist NXT Extremes if thats of any use to you.

Dazza
29th October 2008, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the tips, I've managed to move some of her excess E6's, so I'll track down some Pearls.

Thanks! :D