PDA

View Full Version : Jury duty

Jarro
22nd November 2004, 04:23 PM
have any of you ever served on a jury :?:

i just received a letter saying i "might" have to serve on one in the beginning of 2005 :shock:

.. what should i expect :?: :?

Trung
22nd November 2004, 04:27 PM
I got locked away (jury duty) for 5 days last year.
We gave the bloke "not guilty" due to lack of evidence. He was guilty as h*ll. :evil:

Jarro
22nd November 2004, 04:30 PM
how'd you go getting time away from work Trung :?:

.. the letter i received says i could be needed for up to 4 weeks :shock:

andylo
22nd November 2004, 04:30 PM
:lol:

As you think he's "guilty" anyway, why not all of you guys just give him the shit! :lol:

amanda
22nd November 2004, 04:35 PM
The law compels employers to give you time off work (not annual leave or sick leave or leave without pay) to discharge jury duty.

andylo
22nd November 2004, 04:40 PM
4 weeks!!

Geez my man I wish a pron star is in your group :p :lol:

amanda
22nd November 2004, 04:41 PM
4 weeks!!

Not if it's a man 8)

Choppa
22nd November 2004, 04:43 PM
4 weeks!!

Not if it's a man 8)

Maybe he was talking about a man :?

andylo
22nd November 2004, 04:54 PM
:lol:

That's it... don't bring it too far :p

Bruce
22nd November 2004, 05:04 PM
I wasn't selected the day I turned up for Jury Duty.

I wore my best suit and power tie and carred the AFR and a briefcase.

They couldn't exclude me quick enough.

Fishman Dan
22nd November 2004, 05:10 PM
Just turn up, look keen and state that you're ready to roll.

Then state openly that the [insert random ethnic minority here] bugger deserves to get what they get, that they shouldn't be allowed to work in this country anyway, and that a life in jail is too good for them. Perhaps the electric chair?

You should be on the golf course by 10:30am ;)

Jarro
22nd November 2004, 05:32 PM
thanks for the tip Dan, i'll keep it in mind :roll: :lol:

AndyP
22nd November 2004, 05:54 PM
What's with the double post 16 minutes apart? :?

Jarro
22nd November 2004, 05:58 PM

what are you on about Holden :?: :? :roll:

Trung
22nd November 2004, 06:53 PM
how'd you go getting time away from work Trung :?:

.. the letter i received says i could be needed for up to 4 weeks :shock:

The date I was there, there were 4 trials. I consider myself lucky as one of the other trial went for 5 weeks. :shock:

I got selected for the shortest one. Pheeeeew :P

Onewood
22nd November 2004, 07:09 PM
have any of you ever served on a jury :?:

i just received a letter saying i "might" have to serve on one in the beginning of 2005 :shock:

.. what should i expect :?: :?

Get your employer to write you a letter to say you're a shift worker and are needed at work :wink: that'll get you out of it..... I have a letter all filled out for my guys :roll: they don't even have to go to the court house 8)

McMw
22nd November 2004, 10:21 PM
I take it some of you haven't seen the "movie" Jury Duty??? :lol:

markTHEblake
22nd November 2004, 10:28 PM
Jarro, jury duty could be good news or bad news. You could end up being locked away from the public for quite a while if you got shafted with a major case.

And working for a major employer there is little doubt that you wont see a much of your jury money. From memory most company policies are that if they have to give you time off with pay to attend jury duty, then the jury allowance goes to the employer.

I got a jury nomination last year. told them i was self employed and never heard from them since.

Ducky
23rd November 2004, 05:34 AM
Haven't you seen The Simpsons episode? Jury Duty is all about sleeping, eating, and free stuff!

:D

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

Ducky
23rd November 2004, 07:21 AM
By the way, if you're up early, today on Sunrise (7:15am) they have a segment on everything you need to know about Jury Duty. it may be worth watching if you're interested.

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).

goughy
23rd November 2004, 08:16 AM
When I worked for clikchic's dad I got 2 jury duty notices and he wrote a letter each time to get me out of it (really small business, can't afford to lose him :lol: :lol: :lol: ), but said that if I get another one I probably won't get out of it.

Luckily I now work for myself, and I'll be out of it for ever :lol: :lol: :lol:

AndyP
23rd November 2004, 09:14 AM
what are you on about Holden :?: :? :roll:
Bloody moderators. :roll:

Jarro, I'm glad I didn't laugh at your misfortune of being called up for jury duty.
I found the same letter waiting for me when I got home yesterday. #-o

I'm going to suss out my company's policy on it today, and speak to my bosses.

And working for a major employer there is little doubt that you wont see a much of your jury money. From memory most company policies are that if they have to give you time off with pay to attend jury duty, then the jury allowance goes to the employer.
Jury duty allowance was collected at my last workplace, however you could keep the travel allowance.

Jarro
23rd November 2004, 10:03 AM
Jarro, I'm glad I didn't laugh at your misfortune of being called up for jury duty.
I found the same letter waiting for me when I got home yesterday. #-o

WOW, that's weird :shock:

sorry to hea that mate .. hopefully we can beat the rap together 8)

When were they wanting you :?:

AndyP
23rd November 2004, 12:34 PM
sorry to hea that mate .. hopefully we can beat the rap together 8)
Doesn't worry me too much. As long as I get paid.

When were they wanting you :?:
From 17 Jan onwards.

So....where do you want to play golf? :wink:

Jarro
23rd November 2004, 01:30 PM
thats when they were wanting me to attend also ... from the 17th Jan 2005 :shock:

this is getting spooky :smt104

AndyP
23rd November 2004, 02:13 PM
thats when they were wanting me to attend also ... from the 17th Jan 2005 :shock:

this is getting spooky :smt104
Spooky, no. Coincidence, yes.

You haven't spoken to your employer about it yet?

Jarro
23rd November 2004, 03:26 PM
You haven't spoken to your employer about it yet?

nope.. on days off 'till friday 8) i'll talk to 'em when i go back.

senecio
23rd November 2004, 10:39 PM
Mark/Andy,

I can make it a group of three on the 17th Jan. I also got the same letter when I returned home yesterday.

I told my manager this morning and he just told me to get in touch with HR (They have a standard form letter they give to everybody). I asked if there was something that we could organise, so I could I go. He told me to call HR and get the letter. So I guess I won't be doing this one.

Sometimes I hate being in a team of 1.

A friend of mine had to go through it earlier this year. For 4 weeks she had to call the Bailiff at 5:00 pm every afternoon to see if she would be required the next day. If she wasn't required she just went to work. If she was required she turned up at the specified time, waited until she was told that she wasn't required, then left and went to work. Never once got selected.

Best tip she gave. Make sure you've got a good book and a radio/MP3 player would be a good idea.

Ryan

Jarro
23rd November 2004, 10:51 PM
Mark/Andy,

I can make it a group of three on the 17th Jan. I also got the same letter when I returned home yesterday.

this is getting rather weird .... what are the odds that 3 of us would get the same letter for the same date of service :?

senecio
23rd November 2004, 10:59 PM
The worst thing for me is that I've recently moved back near where I grew up.

If I did have to go I'd probably end up on the jury of an school mate, after he'd bashed his missus or tried to rob the local 7/11. It was that kind of place.

Ryan

markTHEblake
24th November 2004, 12:28 AM
Arent you blokes getting carried away a bit early?

This is your first letter right? which gives you the opportunity to apply for an exemption but clearly states its only a first round ballot, and that there is one more ballot before you will actually be called up.

AndyP
24th November 2004, 09:13 AM
this is getting rather weird .... what are the odds that 3 of us would get the same letter for the same date of service :?
The sheriff has been keeping an eye on this site. 8-[
Don't be surprised if more of us are rounded up. ;)

Jarro
24th November 2004, 02:05 PM
Arent you blokes getting carried away a bit early?

This is your first letter right? which gives you the opportunity to apply for an exemption but clearly states its only a first round ballot, and that there is one more ballot before you will actually be called up.

that's right Blakeman .. .we might not even get a run in the show yet 8)

AndyP
29th November 2004, 05:25 PM
My manager told me that it is up to me whether I want to do this jury duty or not, so ....... :smt102

Is this something that is going to build my character and change my life forever? Is it worth doing?

Jarro
29th November 2004, 05:32 PM
i wouldn't think so PeeDiddy :P

i've got a letter to say i can't do it ... so i'm not 8) :lol:

Qantas has a letter they issue to all employees if they don't wish to perform jury duty ..... thank goodness :wink:

Tongueboy
16th October 2009, 10:37 AM
i am going to bump this one up again....

been called up for jury duty on the 12th Nov and am looking for a way out. done one 2 months ago and got excused on the day but cost me a days wages and was just a waste of good time. being a casual worker you just do your arse when you drawer the short straw.
any ideas? any legals on this forum? give me a clue.

Dennis
16th October 2009, 10:41 AM
Just don't turn up

Eldrick
16th October 2009, 10:44 AM
turn up drunk and in a dress
go play golf when they send you home

henno
16th October 2009, 10:46 AM
Write a note and get your boss to sign it. That's what i did. ("Due to illness and annual leave, <your name> 's absence would have a detrimental affect on the busniness, blah blah")

Tongueboy
16th October 2009, 10:47 AM
serious replies please. are you fair dinkum Dennis?

Tongueboy
16th October 2009, 10:48 AM
I am leaning to the note from the boss angle.

markTHEblake
16th October 2009, 11:02 AM
just return the form and say honestly why you cant commit to jury duty.
Thats what I did, and never heard back from them.

From memory i wrote that i am a one person self employed business and jury duty would amount to a significant loss of income.

Sydney Hacker
16th October 2009, 02:18 PM
Tell them that you were called up 2 months ago and excused on the day. I am pretty sure they are not supposed to hit you again so soon.

KristianJ
16th October 2009, 06:23 PM
Tell them that you were called up 2 months ago and excused on the day. I am pretty sure they are not supposed to hit you again so soon.

This is what I thought should happen - if you've gone on a previous occasion and been willing to serve but not called up, you could apply to be excused for 12 months. It's in this leaflet - page 7 of the PDF:

http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/lawlink/local_courts/ll_localcourts.nsf/vwFiles/JuryService-Arewresp.pdf/$file/JuryService-Arewresp.pdf

Never hurts to ask whether this can happen 2 months after the first summons though.

rodders
16th October 2009, 07:02 PM
You can not show ..... and then be fined heavily. Not a great option.

Write to the court and say you were called only two months ago. Pretty sure you'll be excused.