PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Golf Apps

Fishman Dan
17th September 2008, 12:49 PM
Has anyone invested in any of these?

I was cruising through the App Store and found TeeShot (http://www.teeshotlive.com), which appears to be much more than just a basic score counter. There are dozens of golf apps in the store, but this is the only one that seems to do any sort of statistical analysis?

At $23.99 it's one of the more expensive apps in the store, but if it's worthwhile that's still about a third of the cost of IntelliGolf, which doesn't seem to have evolved much over the years. There seems to be a growing list of courses too, with around 100 from Australia, including anything from North Ryde, to Half Moon Bay, to New South Wales.

Having used IntelliGolf years ago, it's sort of the benchmark. It was very easy to use. There are tons of others but they never really cut it.

andylo
17th September 2008, 01:59 PM
Due to using a HTC Cruise so I can only limited myself to use Intelligolf (ig).

To be honest I am not that impressed with ig and always hoping there're something out there more sophisticated.

Fishman Dan
17th September 2008, 03:44 PM
A-Lo - IntelliGolf never evolved from the early days. They released about 4 different versions, but nothing really ground breaking. All of the iPhone apps boast GPS use, either now or in future versions (not something I'm after for that matter).

Courty
17th September 2008, 04:29 PM
I've never paid any attention to the apps which record your score/ stats. I can do that when I get home while the round is still fresh in my memory. The only apps I'm interested in are the ones that give you distances (GPS). The best one of these that I've seen is called Greenfinder (http://www.itinerantsoftware.com/products/iphone). At $43, it's not the cheapest app around, but it beats paying $300+ for a purpose-built golf GPS.

Edit: I see that they are now offerring a free trial on the Greenfinder site. 8)

Minor_Threat
17th September 2008, 06:36 PM
It depends on the exact functionality of the device but something that gives you distances during a round ie GPS would be a breach of the rules...

Courty
17th September 2008, 06:54 PM
It depends on the exact functionality of the device but something that gives you distances during a round ie GPS would be a breach of the rules...

Not quite right. If the committee allows it, GPS' are fine, but anything that measures slope, wind etc. is not.

Edit: My club actually hires them out for use during comp rounds.

Minor_Threat
17th September 2008, 07:19 PM
Not quite right. If the committee allows it, GPS' are fine, but anything that measures slope, wind etc. is not.

Edit: My club actually hires them out for use during comp rounds.
Like I said it depends on the functionality..

You are correct in saying a local rule can be made, however I am sure that the committee would stipulate that EVERY player must have access to such a device and not just a select few.

*Edit* Just noticed you mentioning them being hired out. I'm not sure if this went to the members for a vote but there is no way in the world I would vote for something like that! Ridiculous.. :(

Grunt
17th September 2008, 07:24 PM
NSWGA has passed a blanket ruling for them in all comps. Will try and look it up in a second.

Minor_Threat
17th September 2008, 07:27 PM
NSWGA has passed a blanket ruling for them in all comps. Will try and look it up in a second.
I'm only just coming back into amateur golf so I'm not familiar with all local or state body rules.. I find it ridiculous they would approve such a thing! What about the poor bastard who cant afford to hire one of these things?

Grunt
17th September 2008, 07:30 PM
Here is the decision.

http://www.nswga.com.au/files/2SGTWKIOFV/Media%20Release%20-%20Use%20of%20Distance%20Measuring%20Devices.pdf

Courty
17th September 2008, 07:31 PM
I'm only just coming back into amateur golf so I'm not familiar with all local or state body rules.. I find it ridiculous they would approve such a thing! What about the poor bastard who cant afford to hire one of these things?

They can continue using the fixed markers on the course like everyone else. I never thought I'd gain much by using one until I played with a mate who had one. Another mate & I went halves in one and I find it virtually indispensable (mainly because I'm usually playing my approaches from the wrong fairway :roll:). But if I hadn't used one first (like the vast majority of golfers) then I wouldn't know what I was missing.

Grunt
17th September 2008, 07:32 PM
Still needs a local rule at the other clubs to use such a device in normal club events though.

Minor_Threat
17th September 2008, 07:33 PM
They can continue using the fixed markers on the course like everyone else. I never thought I'd gain much by using one until I played with a mate who had one. Another mate & I went halves in one and I find it virtually indispensable (mainly because I'm usually playing my approaches from the wrong fairway :roll:). But if I hadn't used one first (like the vast majority of golfers) then I wouldn't know what I was missing.
Obviously there is nothing that can be done about it now. You have said yourself it does give an advantage.. **** me what were they thinking when they allowed this? Putting $$$ ahead of fairness is a disgrace!

Grunt
17th September 2008, 07:35 PM
Have said that improves the pace of play too. I know it has helped me a lot.

Minor_Threat
17th September 2008, 07:35 PM
Here is the decision.

http://www.nswga.com.au/files/2SGTWKIOFV/Media%20Release%20-%20Use%20of%20Distance%20Measuring%20Devices.pdf

To speed up play! **** me..

Take the skill out of the game why don't they!!

*Edit* I will take great pleasure in beating some bastard in pennants walking around with his fancy GPS. There is no way in the world I will use one!

Courty
17th September 2008, 07:49 PM
I don't see the big deal. The average amateur doesn't get the luxury of a practice round the day before a comp to work out a course strategy and personalise a course guide, or a caddy to pace out the nearest sprinkler head.
A GPS doesn't give any info that can't be worked out manually, and that's why they have been allowed for use in club comps.

Minor_Threat
17th September 2008, 08:16 PM
Its is a lot more accurate than any manual calculation. Like I said earlier it isn't issued to every golfer so some have an advantage over others in terms of obtaining a very accurate distance measurement! The rest of us rely on sight and the clubs distance markers (which more often then not are inaccurate also).

They are legal in NSWGA events what can I say. I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to things like that and tend to think about the first time I played Royal Melbourne with not a distance marker or measurement in sight (besides the tees and scorecard)

Courty
17th September 2008, 08:23 PM
Like I said earlier it isn't issued to every golfer so some have an advantage over others in terms of obtaining a very accurate distance measurement!

The others can chose to buy one for themselves if they so wish. No one is going to provide anyone with anything for free.

They are legal in NSWGA events what can I say. I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to things like that and tend to think about the first time I played Royal Melbourne with not a distance marker or measurement in sight (besides the tees and scorecard)

:shock:

sms316
17th September 2008, 08:25 PM
I've used one once or twice and in total honesty they only help you to work out a distance when you are miles away from the fairway. Really no big deal.

Minor_Threat
17th September 2008, 08:28 PM
The others can chose to buy one for themselves if they so wish. No one is going to provide anyone with anything for free.
Don't mind me I'm just cynic at times and think there may have been something going on behind play for something like this to happen. It is in accordance with the rules so I need to get used to people using them.. :shock:

Fishman Dan
17th September 2008, 08:35 PM
Yeah whatever. There are other threads to argue about GPS.....

Carrying an iPhone around a golf course is plainly arrogant and stupid - it's too hard to read the screen in direct sunlight anyway. I don't find the iPhone GPS accurate enough to want to rely on it on a golf course, and 4.5 hours of GPS on an iPhone will kill the battery.

As Courty said, I put the info in at the end of the round.

Minor_Threat
17th September 2008, 08:39 PM
Yeah whatever. There are other threads to argue about GPS.....

Carrying an iPhone around a golf course is plainly arrogant and stupid - it's too hard to read the screen in direct sunlight anyway. I don't find the iPhone GPS accurate enough to want to rely on it on a golf course, and 4.5 hours of GPS on an iPhone will kill the battery.

As Courty said, I put the info in at the end of the round.
Yeah fair enough, my apologies for hijacking your thread dude.. ;)

markTHEblake
17th September 2008, 09:10 PM

Grant, either you or Virge or both of you were telling me that the NSWGA has passed this as a blanket local rule in all golf club competitions statewide.

That media release you just showed us doesnt say that at all, it only covers State run events. That chook run we played in on Friday is not run by the state. :razz:

Grunt
17th September 2008, 09:32 PM
Yeah Virge told me that and I believed him as others had said that too. I have seen the Local rule at many clubs recently though. I only use it where I see the rule on the board though. On my PDA I mainly rely on intelligolf to do stat tracking/ scoring.

Courty
18th September 2008, 04:48 PM
How about this one (http://www.tuaw.com/2008/09/17/first-look-gl-golf/)?

DavidThompson
28th September 2008, 12:10 PM
I'm using TeeShot too and really like it. The only down side so far is it doesn't produce detailed stats for u'r playing partner just the main player.

singleoneday
17th October 2008, 12:02 AM
I'm using TeeShot too and really like it. The only down side so far is it doesn't produce detailed stats for u'r playing partner just the main player.
does the iphone have enough battery power to sustain a 4-5 hour round?
I was using my gps for directions about an hour today and half the battery drained from a full charge.

Greeny
18th February 2009, 05:26 PM
So back to good iPhone apps.....anyone discovered any that enable a couple of groups to enter their scores and everyone to view a "live" leaderbaord on course?

Courty
6th March 2009, 07:00 AM
"10 Kick-ass iPhone Apps (http://www.mygolfspy.com/iphone-golf-app/)"

TheTrueReview
6th March 2009, 07:18 AM
"10 Kick-ass iPhone Apps (http://www.mygolfspy.com/iphone-golf-app/)"

Courty, thanks for the heads up. I'm about to be issued with an iphone at work. Do those apps work in Oz?

Scottt
6th March 2009, 07:33 AM
Hey MT. Did you ever use a yardage book in any pro tournies? Or a course guide in a normal round?

One guess how they get the mesasurements!

Fishman Dan
6th March 2009, 07:56 AM
Courty, thanks for the heads up. I'm about to be issued with an iphone at work. Do those apps work in Oz?

A lot of these apps seem to be focussed on GPS, rather than post-game analysis for stats nuts like myself. I doubt I'd pull it out during a regular round.

If I was playing a resort-type course that I had little/no idea about, I'd be more likely to use the iPhone GPS. You could have it within arms reach in the cart. At $23.99 GolfCard is pretty steep for an iPhone app. They even charge for the Lite version (even though it's just $1.19).

Greeny
8th March 2009, 08:52 PM
Cheers for the link. I've downloaded the lite app of GolfCard. Time will tell what it's like.
I'm still searching for one that will provide an online leaderboard for a social group of golfers. For more than 1 group. It'd be nice if 1 player from each group on course could be uploading the scores and everyone can check online, the live leaderboard.

virge666
8th March 2009, 10:18 PM
MT,

- The skill s hitting the shot - NOT knowing the distance.
- Pro's have been using these devices since they knew they existed.
- Careful planning of a round by the player and caddie, give more than a "manual" calculation. Pin sheets are another fine example...
- And they DO speed up play. Especially on newer courses.
- As for cost, $199 will get you a basic model from Bushnell or Tasco. What is new Putter or driver worth ? ($299 will get you the ducks guts) GPS systems can start as low as $150 as well or you can use your phone and some $50 sofware. This hadly breaks the bank.

I know it is a weird feeling to actually KNOW the distance. Traditionalists will hate the rule... as for making the game easier... what has 460cc drivers, the new golf balls and all the other crap that has been made over the years.

It is one of the newer rule I agree with. But as I said... knowing the distance is one thing . . . being able to hit that distance is another. I am VERY happy to be within 5%.

laydehgolfer
21st March 2009, 08:02 AM
I have golfcard in my iphone, its a paid application, but when it comes to applications like golftraxx(check in youtube) or iyardage, mostly they only cater to US courses so I dont really suggest them. Golfcard has good reviews http://budurl.com/iphnegolf check it out first, remember these applications isn't free. Cheers!

elusiver
3rd April 2009, 10:16 AM
i use viewti golf.. it's great.. a full charge before your round will get u through.. there is abit of a delay in updating the gps after you wake it up which is a little annoying but its ok.. adding courses is so easy.. 2 of my local courses were orginally listed i sent them an email requesting the courses be added with google earth coordinates of the courses and i got an email in 2 days saying they'd been added..

el :)

Fishman Dan
3rd April 2009, 10:21 AM
So what of the local rules at golf courses these days... No mobile phones. GPS devices are ok.

What to do??!! :D

I carry my bag and can't be buggered stuffing around in pockets accessing the phone all day.

Greeny
3rd April 2009, 09:31 PM
The official US Masters website have released an iPhone App for the coming week.

http://www.masters.org/en_US/interactive/mobile/iphone.html

Tex
5th May 2009, 10:59 PM
I have golfcard in my iphone, its a paid application, but when it comes to applications like golftraxx(check in youtube) or iyardage, mostly they only cater to US courses so I dont really suggest them. Golfcard has good reviews http://budurl.com/iphnegolf check it out first, remember these applications isn't free. Cheers!
Having just taken up the game I wanted to track my progress from the start :oops:. Down loaded Golfcard (was $7.99usd now $8.99usd) and I rate it highly. My iPhone sits nicely in my buggy under my scorecard holder and I can tap in the scores and stats pretty quickly with out affecting anyone else I play with, I can then upload them to the nominal web site (free) that will track your stats for your perusal later. I also subscribed to Golf Link Mates for the magazine subscription, as an aside put my rounds in there too and already find having to input details of the game there for statistical recording a bit of a pain, much easier to do it with the iPhone on course then just send them off.

As far as the GPS Rangefinder goes I have only tried it a couple of times (distance means little to me at the moment; I am happy if it goes straight, short or long) but it seemed pretty accurate. It has a setting to only use the GPS when required, so if you are just scoring no extra GPS power drain until you switch to rangefinder.

I have no affiliation with this product or its subsidiary companies 8)

LarryLong
5th May 2009, 11:08 PM
One for the tight-arses is probably a little program I use on my Windows Mobile device called FreeCaddie. They do a version for the iPhone, but I can't see what it costs because I don't have iTunes installed. Just basic distances to the green (and more stuff in the 'pro' version) so I'm betting the basic version would be cheap.

Best thing about FreeCaddie is that it has an online course editor so that you can bring up your own course and mark in the pins using Google Earth or MS Virtual Earth. Very handy, unless your local course happens to be in a fuzzed out area of Google Earth.

Tex
5th May 2009, 11:16 PM
One for the tight-arses is probably a little program I use on my Windows Mobile device called FreeCaddie. They do a version for the iPhone, but I can't see what it costs because I don't have iTunes installed. Just basic distances to the green (and more stuff in the 'pro' version) so I'm betting the basic version would be cheap.

Best thing about FreeCaddie is that it has an online course editor so that you can bring up your own course and mark in the pins using Google Earth or MS Virtual Earth. Very handy, unless your local course happens to be in a fuzzed out area of Google Earth.
Freecaddie iTunes Store FYI there is a free version or the 'Pro' version is 12.99.

You reminded me Larry re. the similar features on Golfcard for the range finding, but it is better (easier and supports updating by download if someone else makes changes) to actually put the info in on the website then download it. Free also for anyone else to then come along and download the details and markers

Greeny
6th May 2009, 12:41 PM
Ok great. I'm going to get stuck in and give GolfCard a real go. I'd got a bit overwhelmed with the choices and stopped trying any of them.

Tex
7th August 2009, 04:21 PM
How is it going AG? I have updated a fair few course with markers around the place and have had a round or two with other GPS users and the accuracy is pretty good, They are numerous updates to the APP and it just keeps getting better...

virge666
7th August 2009, 06:24 PM
+1 of Golfcard by Sygiam or something like that.

Greeny
10th August 2009, 04:05 PM
I'm enjoying GolfCard. Checked out the distances to greens and other hazards on the weekend and my course and all looked pretty accurate to me. The scoring is pretty easy too. Emailing scores to the website is also easy.

Tex
10th August 2009, 05:38 PM
Yeh it's the shite alright - $10 so cheap - if you start marking/mapping courses let me know, there is definitely a set procedure to go through to make it work right for all concerned...

kevinnugent
20th September 2009, 05:45 PM
The Golf Caddie Pro Golf Rangefinder is now free on the iTunes app store.

Normally $9.99

Has plenty of courses too by the looks of it. Brookwater's included.

virge666
20th September 2009, 06:27 PM
Yeh it's the shite alright - $10 so cheap - if you start marking/mapping courses let me know, there is definitely a set procedure to go through to make it work right for all concerned...

Download the GolfCard Manager software and you can do it all from Google maps with a mouse. Get it from Seyemamemamsgya or whatever's website.

As I said - top piece of kit, everything else is a distant 2nd.

kev
20th September 2009, 06:38 PM
The Golf Caddie Pro Golf Rangefinder is now free on the iTunes app store.

Normally $9.99

Has plenty of courses too by the looks of it. Brookwater's included.

Not many in VIC, might have to create a few just to see what it's like.

MegaWatty
11th August 2010, 12:44 AM
They may be Royal and Ancient, however they have just brought out a rules of golf app. And it's free.

High five to them!

ParMaster
11th August 2010, 06:08 AM
How much would I be looking at paying for a 2nd hand iPhone you reckon?

Iain
11th August 2010, 08:18 AM
Golflink bought out there official app and expect you to pay 5.99 a year!!!!

simmsy
11th August 2010, 09:29 AM
And it's crap. It just takes u to their website. Read the reviews it gets bagged out

bergsey
11th August 2010, 03:54 PM
And it's crap. It just takes u to their website. Read the reviews it gets bagged out

Yeah funny that, i got the email from them and thought i would have a look.

a. sounded like it was free, and it is not !
b. in the read the reviews section everyone complains how cr*p the software is !

Really it's a wonder how these clowns are still in business

Courty
11th August 2010, 04:08 PM

Watch this space... I may have access to a couple of used 3Gs & 3GS's in another week or two.

LeftyHoges
11th August 2010, 05:07 PM

How much are you willing to pay? My 3G S is up for grabs as soon as my iPhone4 arrives....