PDA

View Full Version : Week commencing 15th September 2008

PeteyD
16th September 2008, 01:36 PM
Would not normally put a social round in, but as I was in Kyogle I went and had a hit at the Kyogle Golf Club. Enjoyable 92 with 32 putts, 9/12 Fairways. Nice little 9 holer with 2 sets of tees, some long par 5s and a couple of challenging holes.

Scottt
16th September 2008, 06:31 PM
I'm going to lay down a prediction for tomorrow's round at Windsor and see how I stack up:

35-37pts
5/13 fairways
8 greens
33 putts

I could be setting myself up for humiliation, but we'll see how it goes :lol:

haysey
17th September 2008, 12:27 PM
Measured up a job at Cairns Golf club today:roll:. Finished with 29 points:smt013

Had 18 points on the front 9.

Then guilt, or maybe karma caught up with me on the back 9. 4 wipes in a row effectively ended any chance of a decent score:roll:

Matt 3 Jab
17th September 2008, 03:11 PM
played windsor with the boys today.

Hit the ball well, back to my more aggressive older swing but still not too quick.

Fairways: 6/13 - but hit the driver well, few i missed didnt miss but much

Greens: 12/18 - hit my irons really well and the game within 100m was good

Putts: 30 - started with a few bads putts, switched it up to crosshand from about 3 on and putted really well.

All up 44 points.

for a 9 marker, i hit it pretty good ;)

Scottt
17th September 2008, 03:35 PM
I'm going to lay down a prediction for tomorrow's round at Windsor and see how I stack up:

35-37pts
5/13 fairways
8 greens
33 putts

I could be setting myself up for humiliation, but we'll see how it goes :lol:

I had 32pts
5/13 fairways
5 greens
33 putts

Not a bad predition!

The three jabber flushed it all day. I have played with plenty of top amateurs and pros and none hit it better than he was. +1 was really the wrost score he could have had today, and after doubling the first... He even three putted two holes he hit in reg.

After Matt and Virge left I went in to the club to have a shower, and no word of a joke, the groups either side of us were having a beer an marvelling at how beautiful Matt's swing was (I'm serious), and they're not wrong.

I wasn't too happy with my play, though my 30-50m wedge play was good and I hit a few decent iron shots. Some more good tips from Virge helped me tighten things up a bit more.

All in all not a bad day.

BrisVegas
17th September 2008, 03:44 PM
for a 9 marker, i hit it pretty good ;)

9 marker, masquerading as a 1 marker. Good stuff matt.

Scottt
17th September 2008, 03:48 PM
There is no f**king way that Matt should be off 9, but I suppose he isn't anymore!! Back to seven and dropping!

PeteyD
17th September 2008, 04:27 PM
Off 9? I woulda guessed 3 or 4 when we played on the coast. When he hits em they stay hit.

damoocow
17th September 2008, 07:57 PM
Played Stableford at Keperra today - had a 20/19 for 39 with a wipe on the last - thought I may lose something but checked golflink and ccr was so low there was no change, bugger.....

Matt 3 Jab
17th September 2008, 08:38 PM
down to 7.7, still 8 though :mrgreen:

whats windsors 1st prize and whos going to drive out there and get it for me???? :lol:

welshy
17th September 2008, 08:42 PM
played mid week comp at gungahlin lakes today - 41 points backing up the 42 I had on the weekend - short game was ugly though I holed 2 15 ft putts - lost 4 shots in a week now down to 27.9 :) Highlight was being pin high on a par 5 in 2 - missed the eagle put but got my birdie - oh and playing the whole round with the same ball :shock:
Gross 97
no wipes
3 putts lipped
tooooo many 3 putts :(

mikezone13
17th September 2008, 09:21 PM
Some good shooting by all in this thread...CONGRATs!! I'm off to The Hunter Valley for a Ryder Cup (Team England v Southern Hemisphere) weekend so hope to come back with the trophy and some good golf to report on, nothing better than beating a pom at any sport!

Matt 3 Jab
17th September 2008, 09:27 PM
Scottt - i forgot about the flushed 2i hybrid you hit out of the bunker on the back 9.

1 meter lip, flushes it 210m with a draw

that was the best shot of the day in my mind.

That or my skulled sliced pw on 17 to 8 foot.

Courty
17th September 2008, 09:37 PM
Nice work, welshy. Single figures is just around the corner. ;)

Scottt
17th September 2008, 11:37 PM
Scottt - i forgot about the flushed 2i hybrid you hit out of the bunker on the back 9.

1 meter lip, flushes it 210m with a draw

that was the best shot of the day in my mind.

That or my skulled sliced pw on 17 to 8 foot.

You're too kind :oops: though I did f**king mint that. Pity the other 84 swipes I had weren't as good.

Flowergirl
18th September 2008, 11:00 AM
Ladies comp yesterday in perfect conditions. Second hole - an easy par 5 - I had a 9!!!!!!!!!!! Second shot clipped the trees - played it safe back onto the fairway - or should I say that was my aim - a big shank further into the trees - tried to play a safe low shot out- hit the trees - stuffed it up - then 3 putted!!!!!!! That's it. Next time I'm in the trees I'm going for the hero shot . These "safe" shots suck!!!!!!
Driving well and fairway and approaches are a lot better but stuffed up a couple of chips and too may 3 putts.
90 gross - nett 73.

Highlight of the day - and my year!!!!!!! Our 18th is a long , uphill , tricky par 4 that none of our ladies can get on in regulation. Well I did yesterday and I sank the putt for a birdie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Grunt
18th September 2008, 11:02 AM
Good Birdie Reenie!!!

Yeah I get burnt sometimes with the same shot, still the hero shots hardly ever come off either.

Scottt
18th September 2008, 11:26 AM
The key to a safe pitch/chip out is to have an exact goal or aiming point. You can't just aim at an acre of turf and swipe away. If you have an exact point you're aiming for you will be more likely to pull the shot off.

How high do you want it to fly? Where do you want to land the ball? How far do you want it to run after landing? Answering all of these questions in your head will help you choose your club but also reaffirm in your mind exactly what you wish to do.

dc68
18th September 2008, 11:48 AM
Played Stableford at Keperra today - had a 20/19 for 39 with a wipe on the last - thought I may lose something but checked golflink and ccr was so low there was no change, bugger.....

Bugger indeed!!!!!

Well played mate......:cry:

jimandr
18th September 2008, 10:20 PM
down to 7.7, still 8 though :mrgreen:

whats windsors 1st prize and whos going to drive out there and get it for me???? :lol:

Surely 3oneday will collect it for you. But you might never see him again!

Coffs_Hacker
20th September 2008, 07:55 AM
Played Bonville yesterday for their black marker day, after a nice bird to start I proceeded to put 4 in the rainforest off the tee on the second :shock: :shock: :shock: finished with a 11 (bird with the 5th ball hehehe) treated the rest of the rnd as a practice rnd to finish with a nice 96/86 par 74. Course was in nice shape with lots of work been done on bunkering. I think they redone 21 bunkers in the last 6mnths, fairways had a light scarify lately too.

haysey
20th September 2008, 12:42 PM
Played Stableford at Cairns this morning. 38 points with 4 one pointers:roll: Much happier with the putting today.

Might be something to this whole using the same putter for more than one round.

Scottt
20th September 2008, 12:52 PM
Good shooting Haysey.

Played at Springwood this morning in a par event.

Had 72 (par 69) for +6. Birdied my first and eighth holes (the 10th and 17th) and turned at even par, then bogeyed three of the first four on the back nine before I got my shit together and finished with five pars.

9/13 fairways
6 greens
8/12 U&Ds
25 putts.

I drilled the Sumo and Hybrid off the tee all day. Of the four fairways I missed I was within a foot of the cut stuff on two of them.

Iron play was shite though. Got a bit tight on the back nine and was trying to guide the ball a bit, which never ends well, though I did pure a five iron to six feet on the 8th from 163m.

The 20-40m wedge play was the highlight, thanks to a great tip from Virge that keeps me getting my right side through the ball.

Very happy right now. Even if the course rates three-under as it sometimes does, I will be back off nine!

haysey
20th September 2008, 12:56 PM
Thats great Scottt. Well done mate:smt038

Courty
20th September 2008, 04:54 PM
Might be something to this whole using the same putter for more than one round.

Hmmm, that sounds familiar... oh wait, that's what I told you. :lol:

I had a weird round today. I continued my form from yesterday's social 9 with Haysey (ie. shite) for the first 9, and came in with 10 pts including a birdie on 18 :roll:. But something happened in the break (must have been the Mars Bar 8)). I went out and slotted everything for 21pts (+1 off the stick). As they say "that'll bring me back next week" :roll:

Grunt
20th September 2008, 05:40 PM
Played at Macarthur Grange this morning after feeling pretty good on the way home from work, bad move. Mac granges greens had not been cored a few weeks ago and were cored this week. Putting was a lottery! Had 41 putts, my worst putting for quite some time. In the end I just decided to concentrate on getting used to the new driver and I think I played it quite well only one bad miss all day and hit 80% of Fairways. Very happy!

Stats
93 Gross
77 Nett
29 points
10/12 Fairways
4 GIR
5/10 Up & Downs
0/4 Sand Saves

Next game: New Brighton GC, Monday 22nd Sept
41 Putts (1x 4 Putt,7x 3 putts)

Eag's
20th September 2008, 05:55 PM
Nice shooting Scottt.

Scottt
20th September 2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks Eag's and Haysey :)

Grunt
20th September 2008, 06:15 PM
Yeah nice shooting Scottt, I always wanted to have a hit at Springwood, are Saturdays easy to get a game on?

Scottt
20th September 2008, 10:03 PM
Yeah Grunt easy as. 4751 2484. Give it a few weeks though. Greens were just cored and sanded looks like a few days ago.

It has a couple of shit holes, but some absolute killers too. The elevation change is utilised really well on he front nine. 2, 3, 6, 10, 12 and 17 are the standouts for mine.

Minor_Threat
21st September 2008, 03:44 PM
Had a hit at Keilor today with some old mates.. It blowed a massive gale all day!

Had 72 par 69.. Highlight was driving 2 par 4's in 1..

Same old story hit the ball great, short game was atrocious! Plenty of room for improvement..

Scottt
21st September 2008, 03:50 PM
Funny Minor Threat that you nd I had exactly the same score yesterday and I was euphoric and you were "meh shmeh, wohevah!". :lol: Would love to be disappointed to shoot +3!

Minor_Threat
21st September 2008, 04:01 PM
Funny Minor Threat that you nd I had exactly the same score yesterday and I was euphoric and you were "meh shmeh, wohevah!". :lol: Would love to be disappointed to shoot +3!
Yeah not really disappointed mate.. I have no expectations these days!

Just know I left a hell of a lot of shots out there! Its the same for everyone though.. :)

Great round at Springwood mate, I've never managed to go too well around there!

adlo
21st September 2008, 04:32 PM
Played yesterday, had the matchplay final/playoff for C grade in our social club.

I had 21 points on the front to turn 2 up, and hung in there and took the match 5&3. The back 9 was pretty rough with 4x1 pointers but still put together 17 points to finish with 38 points.

86 off the stick
6 Fairways (6 into the crap, 8/14 effective tee shots)
6 GIR
32 putts
5 U&D's

Scottt
21st September 2008, 04:53 PM
great going Adlo. 5&3!! What did you win? Other than your opponent's dignity?!

oz
21st September 2008, 04:53 PM
37 points at Howlong yesterday, in a good breeze. Tied the best scratch score of the day. I kinda blew it a little, with a shabby shank on 16 from the centre of the fairway with a SW in my had. Made an ugly double.

adlo
21st September 2008, 05:15 PM
great going Adlo. 5&3!! What did you win? Other than your opponent's dignity?!
Trophy and pro-shop vouchers, not sure of how much $$, we get them at the end of year presentation dinner. But I have also won our Summer Cup Par comp and runner up in our Masters Stroke Comp, so should have some ho'ing $$. Sadly, as I am pretty satisfied with my set-up now, it may have to be used for something boring like golf balls.

Jarro
21st September 2008, 06:12 PM
31 points at Keperra today.

The course was playing pretty long as the tees were right at the back tee blocks ... a good test of golf from there.

peter_rs
22nd September 2008, 08:45 AM
Nudgee South Sat
76/61 (par 70)

55.5% GIR
50% FIR
40% up & Down
50% Sand saves
30 putts
1 water.

I was -2 after 8 ;). 4 birdies in the round.

Colonial GC-Beer skins
86/71 (Par 72+)

33% GIR
21% FIR
55% Up & down
33% Sand save
34 putts (not un happy considering the pins)
2 water.

On a side note I had a 8 both days on a par 4 :(

Scottt
22nd September 2008, 09:08 AM
Great shooting Peter.

Bruce
22nd September 2008, 09:14 AM
Awesome round Pete - well done.

BrisVegas
22nd September 2008, 09:45 AM
Nudgee South Sat
76/61 (par 70)

Wow! Good scoring Pete. Did you win the comp??

Flowergirl
22nd September 2008, 10:29 AM
Some great results there guys. Well done. :smt038

Played the first round of the singles matchplay on Saturday. Had to give my opponent 16 shots.:shock: Won 7/5. Had one of my best front 9's ever and dare say the back 9 would have been good if I had got to play past the 13th!!!!!!! ( feeling a bit ****y;))

Putting was a huge improvement - as was my short game. I listened to what you said Scott and really focused on my target. My last shot of the game was a great pitch onto a narrow elevated green from the side and it stopped nicely near the pin. Good enough for her to pick up my ball and give me the match ( she was over the back for 6 and I was on for 4- par 5)

Just between you and me guys I really really want to win this having been runner up twice. I am a lot cooler on the course these days and have improved my matchplay attitude so I've got a pretty good chance. ;)

peter_rs
22nd September 2008, 10:44 AM
Wow! Good scoring Pete. Did you win the comp??

Wasn't in comp. I was playing with Mick & shazza (shazza's bro) as they would not let me have a guest in the mens comp. I would have loved the hcp drop.

I'm thinking of playing the south course more before we lose it.

Scottt
22nd September 2008, 10:47 AM
Great score in any case Pete. Is that a lifetime low round?

Flowergirl: how many rounds in the matchplay? Great win.

Seems it was a pretty bloody huge weekend all-round for Ozgolfers!

Webster
22nd September 2008, 10:57 AM
Wasn't in comp.

Nice score, but sadly as it wasn't in a comp it doesn't count for anything.

Jack.

Flowergirl
22nd September 2008, 10:57 AM
Great score in any case Pete. Is that a lifetime low round?

Flowergirl: how many rounds in the matchplay? Great win.

Seems it was a pretty bloody huge weekend all-round for Ozgolfers!

Four rounds. And thanks for the encouragement.:mrgreen:

peter_rs
22nd September 2008, 11:03 AM
I have had a 80 in comp (off 18) on the north course (CCR 72) and 79 on the south in comp. In social rounds a 78 around windaroo & 76 at river lakes & St Lucia (71) ..... so I guess so I didn't really think about it.

I was more surprised that I was -2 after 5, and still -2 under after 8. It was my first shot at a sub par 9..... and I finished well with an 8 :(, I joked I would be happy with a 6 then tried to play safe. In the end I was happy to keep the round going after my brain explosion.

peter_rs
22nd September 2008, 11:09 AM
Nice score, but sadly as it wasn't in a comp it doesn't count for anything.

Jack.

I have been waiting for your comment Jack.... If you every get to play a game with shazza and I you will know it counts more then comp.

Scottt
22nd September 2008, 11:10 AM
I was more surprised that I was -2 after 5, and still -2 under after 8. It was my first shot at a sub par 9..... and I finished well with an 8 :(, I joked I would be happy with a 6 then tried to play safe. In the end I was happy to keep the round going after my brain explosion.

Going low early is tough to handle when it's new territory.

I was -4 after 5 holes at Springwood one day, managed to get through 13 at -2, then made three bogeys in the last five holes to shoot +1. tears!

Webster
22nd September 2008, 11:26 AM
I have been waiting for your comment Jack.... If you every get to play a game with shazza and I you will know it counts more then comp.

No worries...I had to post that comment just so as not to disappoint anyone here (and be consistent). At least you came out up front and said it was a non comp round unlike that bloke last year (Scarfie??) who allegedly shot even par by himself while practicing, but would not own up to it without a lot of prodding.

What do you and shazza play for anyway? Do you have a standard bet, ie loser does the dishes for a week?

peter_rs
22nd September 2008, 12:49 PM
much higher stakes...

Scottt
22nd September 2008, 01:23 PM
Winner chooses positons for a week?

But you also played with her brother, so it's best we don't get into that :lol: