PDA

View Full Version : Myna birds

Courty
14th September 2008, 05:16 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8e/Common_Myna_I_IMG_2393.jpg/180px-Common_Myna_I_IMG_2393.jpg

The Common Myna (Acridotheres tristis), is a myna, a member of the starling family. This bird is native in southern Asia from Iran and Kazakhstan to Malaysia and China, and in Egypt.[1] It is also known as the Indian Myna and as the Talking Myna for its ability to mimic human speech. Mynas are highly intelligent and wary birds with keen eyesight and good communication.

We have a bit of a problem with these bloody flying cane toads. They nest in the gutters & behind split system motors. They squabble & squawk & scratch on the roof making a god-awful racket. But most annoying is their habit of crapping all over our patio (mainly on the timber furniture). We've tried a few different suggestions:

1. Rubber snake
2. Model owl
3. Hanging shiny, reflective stuff

These ideas may work with other birds, but Mynas are cleverer than all that. They call our bluff within a few days. What I'm looking for is a simple, effective, inexpensive way to get rid of them. I live in a suburban area so projectile weapons are out. :evil:

Any suggestions?

Grunt
14th September 2008, 05:25 PM
Here is some info for you Courty

trapping
http://sres-associated.anu.edu.au/myna/trapping.html

And then disposing

http://sres-associated.anu.edu.au/myna/humane.html

goughy
14th September 2008, 05:30 PM
So you're after a Myna solution to your problem??

haysey
14th September 2008, 05:52 PM
Wanna borrow our dog for a few days?

Thing has done a great job of driving those flying rats away.

Jarro
14th September 2008, 06:08 PM
get a cat that can jump really high

Courty
14th September 2008, 06:26 PM
Here is some info for you Courty

trapping
http://sres-associated.anu.edu.au/myna/trapping.html

And then disposing

http://sres-associated.anu.edu.au/myna/humane.html

Thanks, but I've seen them. Not exactly inexpensive either.

Courty
14th September 2008, 06:32 PM
Here's some suggestions I've come across...

They don't like frozen peas.

It's a time thing, at first they'll sit there thinking, "There's that nice man that gives us the frozen peas", and fly away only to return in a short while.

After a week or two, they start to think the man isn't so nice, and fly away when they see him coming outside.

After a month or two, they start to realise that they can hang around the place next door, and they don't get fed peas anymore. :?

Soak small pieces of bread in cheap, low-quality spirits or wine (you may have to buy this, although some of that Glenfiddich or Grange would probably work.) Scatter the bread around where the minahs usually hang out.

The minahs eat the bread & get drunk, legless & wingless. You can then collect them in a garbage bag and deliver them, marinaded from the inside out, to your local chinese epicurean, who will, no doubt, tell you what to do with them.

After you've done it, you may want to finish off the cheap grog.

I've never heard of using frozen peas to get minahs, but they work with polar bears. You cut a hole in the ice, sprinkle peas around it, and when the bear comes up for a pea, you kick it in the icehole. :lol:

Make up some friut mash and sprinkle liberaly with ground ratsack. he he, that gets the little mongrels. Don't try this at home because it is probably illegal and the greenies would hate you for it. :-k

Its not humane, but you could always feed them alka selser. I was told it works on pigeons (supposedly they cant burp and will explode....) :shock:

I remember seeing a doco some time ago about a sparrow or swallow (or some sort) problem in some South American country. What they did was to encourage the birds to nest in this large tree. In the evenings, thousands of them would descend to this tree. Then it was surrounded with heaps of 44 gallon drums of petrol which were simultaneously ignited with a dynamite charge on each drum. The fireball mushroom was so huge it engulfed the whole tree and not a bird survived. :smt108

AndyP
14th September 2008, 06:52 PM
Don't you dare waste Glenfiddich!!

Webster
14th September 2008, 07:09 PM
The solution is simple (this works for any bird problems by the way, and possums too)

Go down to the local fishing shop and buy some very small guage stainless steel fish hooks. On the way home from there, buy a samll container of sultanas. Put the fish hooks in the sultanas and then give them to the birds. They will swallow them whole. It will shred their intenstines in a few weeks and they will all drop dead.

If that is too nasty for you, go to plan "B" (which works well also with rats and mice):

Get a small packet of premix concrete from the hardware store. Mix it in with some flour and honey or sugar and raisins/sultanans and place on the lid of an ice cream container (or similar) and put on the roof of your house. The birds will eat the whole lot and then once they drink a bit of water, the concrete sets in their stomachs and they all drop dead.

I use to have a major problem with minors, but not anymore!!

kev
14th September 2008, 09:43 PM
I'm guessing seniors don't give you too much strife either Jack ;)

sms316
15th September 2008, 09:20 AM
The solution is simple (this works for any bird problems by the way, and possums too)

Go down to the local fishing shop and buy some very small guage stainless steel fish hooks. On the way home from there, buy a samll container of sultanas. Put the fish hooks in the sultanas and then give them to the birds. They will swallow them whole. It will shred their intenstines in a few weeks and they will all drop dead.

If that is too nasty for you, go to plan "B" (which works well also with rats and mice):

Get a small packet of premix concrete from the hardware store. Mix it in with some flour and honey or sugar and raisins/sultanans and place on the lid of an ice cream container (or similar) and put on the roof of your house. The birds will eat the whole lot and then once they drink a bit of water, the concrete sets in their stomachs and they all drop dead.

I use to have a major problem with minors, but not anymore!!

Good form!

Just like how you can go to the cricket, with all those annoying seagulls. Pick up a bag of small nails on the way, buy a cup of hot chips. Insert nails into chips and watch seagulls choke.

Brilliant.

Grunt
15th September 2008, 09:24 AM
Alka Seltzer works well with Seagulls too, they explode!!!

sms316
15th September 2008, 12:25 PM
Or for the local stray cat - feed it a aspirin.

henno
15th September 2008, 12:37 PM
This quite possibly is the most inhumane thread I have ever read.

I hate myna birds as much as the next guy, but damn, killing them slowly over a few weeks? Nails? Fish hooks?

I think the most humane solution here is the blowing up of the whole tree!

3oneday
15th September 2008, 12:41 PM
So that's what happened to my budgie !

bastards !

sms316
15th September 2008, 12:53 PM
This quite possibly is the most inhumane thread I have ever read.

At least nobody here is suggesting trying to beat up a kangaroo with your fists.

Chris32
15th September 2008, 01:07 PM
we had a pigeon problem a while back and we put down that carpet edging that has the nails in it around where they were sleeping at night.

They didn't like sleeping on nails.

Birds don't like the smell of bleach either, so you could try washing the area down with bleach.

Also made a cutout of a eagle with black board, so it was like a shadow and hung that up with some fishing line. It would bounce around a bit in the wind and scared pretty much every animal that saw it.

Some of the other methods are criminal, so stay clear of them :)

mike
15th September 2008, 01:29 PM
http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t325/yumbotto/M1Rifle.jpg

henno
15th September 2008, 01:34 PM

I know you are taking the piss, but despite the illegality, that is a far better option than most of the suggestions in this thread.

haysey
15th September 2008, 01:42 PM

Right, if Courty gets one of those, I'd better dig a trench around my house.

Bentley Park might just become a warzone:lol:

sms316
15th September 2008, 01:51 PM
Some of the other methods are criminal, so stay clear of them :)
It is like driving a car on the right hand side of the road - only illegal if you get caught.

henno
15th September 2008, 02:04 PM
It is like driving a car on the right hand side of the road - only illegal if you get caught.

... just like a leather wedge!

virge666
15th September 2008, 03:11 PM

That is just sensational...

I have a .177 air rifle and a 6 pack of beer. Dinner AND Entertainment.

:)

mike
15th September 2008, 11:31 PM
Why did my avatar get cut and Virge's didn't ?

virge666
16th September 2008, 09:25 AM

Because my avatar is classy and sexy. Yours is just slutty.

Think of my avatar as something all women want to be... sexy, intelligent and chock full of class.

Yours is just a skanky ho looking for her next score.

:D

sms316
16th September 2008, 09:29 AM
Nobody likes a dobber.

mike
16th September 2008, 09:31 PM
Just doing my bit to uphold the integrity of such a fine forum ...

Courty
16th September 2008, 09:33 PM
Just doing my bit to uphold the integrity of such a fine forum ...

Nice avatar... :shock:

:lol:

Courty
16th September 2008, 09:37 PM
I haven't found any more alternatives yet, so I'm going to try this method first. ..

Soak small pieces of bread in cheap, low-quality spirits or wine (you may have to buy this, although some of that Glenfiddich or Grange would probably work.) Scatter the bread around where the minahs usually hang out.

The minahs eat the bread & get drunk, legless & wingless. You can then collect them in a garbage bag and deliver them, marinaded from the inside out, to your local chinese epicurean, who will, no doubt, tell you what to do with them.

sms316
12th May 2009, 02:22 PM
Move to NSW.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25462853-5013110,00.html

Courty
12th May 2009, 04:22 PM
SMS, can you lob in to the conference and get a set of plans for the trap for me?

The alcohol trick in post #29 didn't work. They got pissed alright, but managed to get on top of the fence where they squawked their heads off at me, kinda like the neighbours on a Saturday night. :roll:

jimandr
13th May 2009, 09:48 PM
One of these (insert your own word) things got into my house today, somehow into the wall cavity and then through the vent into my kitchen.

I don't know how long it had been there when I got home, but it went berserk when I opened the door and it went into my living room. I beat a hasty retreat and held the door open hoping it would fly out. But it was just like the fly that gets into your car. No matter how much I tried to coax it out it would look out the door and do a u-turn.

Eventually, after I got it back into the kitchen and closed all the doors it found the same air vent it came in through, and disappeared. That hole is now blocked, but I'll have to wait for the weekend, and some daylight, to find and block the outside hole.

I gave serious consideration to capturing it with a blanket and stomping it to death, but I'd have to chuck the blanket away if I did that.

It left a few calling cards, but hopefully no bird lice or other nasties.

The only positive I can think of it that it gave me motivation to do a proper cleanup of the kitchen benches and surroundings.