PDA

View Full Version : Para Olympics

Coffs_Hacker
14th September 2008, 10:46 AM
Just how inspirational are these guys and girls. Been watching as much as i can on ABC. Jees they put any of us to shame. Watched the 50m butterfly last night where there handicap was having no arms. Fudge me.

Its a shame that channel 7 can show 15hrs a day of swimming and swimming highlights during the normal olympics but barely a 30sec clip during sports tonight. these guys deserve better.

Grunt
14th September 2008, 11:16 AM
Just how inspirational are these guys and girls. Been watching as much as i can on ABC. Jees they put any of us to shame. Watched the 50m butterfly last night where there handicap was having no arms. Fudge me.

Its a shame that channel 7 can show 15hrs a day of swimming and swimming highlights during the normal olympics but barely a 30sec clip during sports tonight. these guys deserve better.

Agree 100%, Paralympics should also be held before not after the main games. Being after makes it like an after thought. Heard on the radio last week about how the celebs and the Pollies go to the olympics but hardly any go to paralympics.

goughy
14th September 2008, 12:48 PM
I wonder if it would help if the general public had a better understanding of all the categories within the games? And good on the ABC for showing as much as they are. I've watched a bit of the woman's basketball - especially when they thumped the poms.

Runners World mag had a story about a young girl competing at the games. She was a top junior netballer who got cancer in one of her knees, and in the end they had to amputate from there down. At 15, felt her life was over but got a prosthetic leg a month later and determined to learn to run on it, though not made for that. After many many falls she got better and faster and her community got together to raise the $30k for a racing leg for her. She's now about 18, at the games, and ranked like No.2 in the world for her distance. Just was a really great story to read.

Actually, here is something I found on the net about her.
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2008/03/28/12599_gt_cover_story.html

I like the last line in the story!
'Kelly is looking for a sponsor to support her journey to Beijing. If you can help, phone 5244 2111' I would have thought the Govt would be supporting the team over there?