PDA

View Full Version : My name is Blakey and I'm becoming a Lawn Bowler

markTHEblake
8th September 2008, 11:25 PM
Buggar- H'cap is 6.3 and only 0.2 away from my highest handicap in over 25 years, and its time to consider where I am going with this bloody game. I used to laugh myself stupid at G69's handicap graph going up like petrol prices, but dont I look silly now. 3.8 straight to 6.3 and no sign of stopping.

The main trigger for this thinking is taking inspiration from my Dad. He was a much better golfer than I could ever dream of (even though a bad accident cut him down in his prime), and at exactly the same age and handicap as I am now, he decided he wouldn't get any better so he chucked it all in and played Lawn Bowls.

Best decision he ever made, within 3 years of starting he was playing for Qld and had stayed there for 10 years, and had even more prolific career as a Bowler.

Unfortunately the horse has bolted there as well - back than Dad was the youngest in the State team, now the oldest is 28, and the best bowlers are under 21.

Dad has only watched me play golf a couple of times, and one of those was my best ever, so i reckon it would be really cool to follow in his footsteps again whilst he is still around.

31/12/2008 : If there aint a marked form reversal if dont get back to 5.0 by then, thats it, R.I.P. Golf.

Moe Norman
8th September 2008, 11:41 PM
quitter

Jarro
9th September 2008, 06:23 AM
Plenty of golfers get along fine with a handicap over 10 Blakey .... it's not the end of the world :roll:

3oneday
9th September 2008, 06:51 AM
I went out to 7 last year, for the first time in over 20 years too. Priorities change as does motivation. More than half the golfers in the world would be happy to shoot 10 over... that's what I tell myself anyway :lol:

AndyP
9th September 2008, 07:44 AM
It's a stupid game anyway. You're doing the right thing.

BrisVegas
9th September 2008, 07:54 AM
what do you think has been the cause of the decline? I don't know your circumstances, but you seem to get out and play plenty... You'd probably have the time to practice some tips if you got lessons.

Or have you just lost interest in the game?

Jarro
9th September 2008, 08:47 AM
You need to do a bit of ho-ing Blakey, those irons are clearly not doing the job

Craig_Syd
9th September 2008, 11:04 AM
Stick with it Mark, in my opinion you just have to ride the ups and downs cause eventually it will always come back. Case in point my Dad is 63 and shot a 71 on the weekend after a number of solid rounds over winter, a year ago he was shooting 90 every week and like you was thiking about bowls!

poidda
9th September 2008, 11:53 AM
Stop teasing us blakey!

sms316
9th September 2008, 01:01 PM
Does this mean an imminent departure to some lawn bowls forum?

http://forums.bowlsworld.com.au/index.php

sms316
9th September 2008, 01:05 PM
This one looks like a thread that Jack would have started;

http://forums.bowlsworld.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=2436

Moe Norman
9th September 2008, 07:52 PM
I worked out the other day that I've been a member of Brisbane GC for 12 months now.

In that time, at my own home course I have broken or equalled my handicap only 4 times.

Should I quit too?!

jaybam
9th September 2008, 07:56 PM
hell yes you hacker. I think if we all checked our stats we would be in the same sort of boat. Is only a game after all just enjoy it.

Webster
9th September 2008, 08:01 PM
blakey, nothing wrong with bowls - it's a good game.

At my old club in the country we had a regular golfers vs bowlers match consisting of a few ends of bowls and 9 holes of golf. The bolwers always copped a hiding because golf is a lot tougher than bowls to get the hang of.

I have a bowls club about 100m from my house and i will be down there in the next few years to join up - they got a huge State govt grant few years ago to do the joint up and now its luxury living and $1 pots all year round. Giddy up.

Julie
10th September 2008, 06:42 AM
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:5UCVDwFtVr8mnM:http://www.moviemem.com/images/pictures/store/C/CRACKERJACK.jpg

BrisVegas
10th September 2008, 08:13 AM
I worked out the other day that I've been a member of Brisbane GC for 12 months now.

In that time, at my own home course I have broken or equalled my handicap only 4 times.

Should I quit too?!

once for me! (in 2 months so far...)

Fishman Dan
10th September 2008, 09:18 AM
31/12/2008 : If there aint a marked form reversal, thats it, R.I.P. Golf.

Sook.

swanny
10th September 2008, 09:21 AM
Blakey

Make sure you join the right club otherwise it just doesn't become fun .

I moved down to Victoria 2 years ago and have given up the bowls and just started playing golf again. As the atmosphere in the clubs down here is not what it was in NSW.

mike
10th September 2008, 11:08 PM
see ya

Rusty
11th September 2008, 12:49 PM
those new irons'll pull ya thru.

Minor_Threat
14th September 2008, 03:28 PM
Sounds like your playing for the wrong reasons to me?

Jarro
14th September 2008, 03:44 PM
It's only Blakey, who really cares :roll:

Grunt
14th September 2008, 03:47 PM
He played pretty well yesterday, reckon he just may have got his game back.

JustSneaky
16th September 2008, 09:04 AM
Question:

What does one play, for?

markTHEblake
17th September 2008, 08:53 PM
Plenty of golfers get along fine with a handicap over 10 Blakey .... it's not the end of the world :roll:

That aint the point Jarro. You quit baseball, so you should know what I am talking about.

Or have you just lost interest in the game?

not yet, but if I am no longer competitive I will want to find something else I can be competitive in.

Make sure you join the right club otherwise it just doesn't become fun

I have got that sorted, dont worry, its just down the road and I know everyone there. When you have a famous dad its easy :-)

You need to do a bit of ho-ing Blakey, those irons are clearly not doing the job

Good idea, how much do you improve everytime you change your irons?

Sounds like your playing for the wrong reasons to me?

Sounds like your reasons are not my reasons.

What does one play, for?

Everyone has different reasons, playing just for 'fun' doesnt work for me. Heck I even heard of one bloke who plays just so he can look at bunkers.

I want to get better, if I am getting worse, wheres the fun in that.

It's only Blakey, who really cares :roll:

You cared enough to read all of this and reply three times - I can feel the lurrrv.

Minor_Threat
17th September 2008, 08:57 PM
Sounds like your reasons are not my reasons.
I've played for the reasons you are playing mate and trust me you aren't missing out on much.. Stick to playing for enjoyment anything else that comes your way is a bonus.. ;)

sms316
18th September 2008, 08:36 AM
I'm with Blake - golf sucks when you are playing crap. Unless there is light at the end of the tunnel, it will do your head in. People who say that playing for enjoyment is reason enough are kidding themselves. If you weren't supposed to take it seriously, you wouldn't be required to keep score.

andylo
18th September 2008, 09:00 AM
Everyone has different reasons, playing just for 'fun' doesnt work for me. Heck I even heard of one bloke who plays just so he can look at bunkers.

I want to get better, if I am getting worse, wheres the fun in that.

I'm with Blake - golf sucks when you are playing crap. Unless there is light at the end of the tunnel, it will do your head in. People who say that playing for enjoyment is reason enough are kidding themselves. If you weren't supposed to take it seriously, you wouldn't be required to keep score.

Agree with all of above. I wish I can put them in words like that couple of years ago!

AndyP
18th September 2008, 09:03 AM
I play just for enjoyment now, and as a result I rarely play.

sms316
18th September 2008, 09:08 AM
I play just for enjoyment now, and as a result I rarely play.
It's a catch 22. If you seldom play or practice, chances are you play poorly. If you play poorly, you probably don't get too much enjoyment out of it, so it's hard to get excited about play or practice.

It makes you appreciate the journeyman golf pro with his endless self-belief though.

poidda
18th September 2008, 09:09 AM
Start gambling more. No matter how crap your playing, as long as your not as crap as your mates, it's still competitive. It's amazing how good a 90 can feel some days.

Minor_Threat
18th September 2008, 11:20 AM
It's a catch 22. If you seldom play or practice, chances are you play poorly. If you play poorly, you probably don't get too much enjoyment out of it, so it's hard to get excited about play or practice.

It makes you appreciate the journeyman golf pro with his endless self-belief though.Mine eventually ran out after about 10 years! lol

Its all about mindset you don't need to play / practise heaps but if you let some bad shots get to you and you become frustrated or negative then it will start to affect your performance even more..

The majority of golfers need to learn how to flick the switch between concentration on each shot and relaxation between shots! Its just like listening to your missus (Your listening but not really!)

Eag's
18th September 2008, 11:28 AM

It makes you appreciate the journeyman golf pro with his endless self-belief though.

Not in my case, I used to practise and play quite often but played crap most of the time. Lately with no practice at all I have broken my Hcp 3 out of the last 4 rounds :smt102

Fishman Dan
18th September 2008, 12:38 PM

What crap. Spoken by someone who doesn't make friends on a golf course.

If you're in a group and playing badly what do you do - chat to other players about other things, or have a sook and be a distraction to those with some sort of hope of beating their handicap?

3oneday
18th September 2008, 12:42 PM
Hmmm, I look forward to the next response.

Fishman Dan
18th September 2008, 12:44 PM

Unlike you, they can probably accept criticism.

sms316
18th September 2008, 12:48 PM

If you're in a group and playing badly what do you do - chat to other players about other things, or have a sook and be a distraction to those with some sort of hope of beating their handicap?

I would say there is a big difference between enjoying the company of your fellow golfers, and actually enjoying playing.

That good enough for you?

3oneday
18th September 2008, 01:13 PM
Unlike you, they can probably accept criticism.yes, I forget how sensitive I am, and how moronic you are.

Fishman Dan
18th September 2008, 01:41 PM
Meant in a non-personal attack kind of way, of course.

andylo
18th September 2008, 05:02 PM
blahblahblah.... or have a sook and be a distraction to those with some sort of hope of beating their handicap?

Risking to open a can of worm....

assuming there's no physical contact, wouldn't it be a bit soft if you got distracted by others behavior?

I just think you shouldn't let others get into your head.

Jarro
18th September 2008, 05:08 PM
Alo, Fishy can't help it if he has a lot of room in his head.

Minor_Threat
18th September 2008, 05:10 PM

assuming there's no physical contact, wouldn't it be a bit soft if you got distracted by others behavior?

This is no reflection on the OP but I have played with some absolute wankers in my time and they do affect the playing environment, which will sometimes affect the way the group performs..

To say block out the distraction is moving away from the fact your playing partner is acting like a ****wit!

Fishman Dan
18th September 2008, 05:16 PM

A-Lo - great point. You shouldn't get distracted, but it's not hard for a playing partners tantrum to be an unwelcome distraction.... and how many times have we had a crap round and blamed it on someone else in the group ;)

sms316
18th September 2008, 06:06 PM
Just for the record, am I being referred to as an on course psycho here?

Fishman Dan
18th September 2008, 06:31 PM
Just for the record, am I being referred to as an on course psycho here?

A lonely sook I thought?

Peter
18th September 2008, 11:58 PM
What do you do if you give up golf and discover that you're crap at lawn bowls?

PeteyD
19th September 2008, 07:30 AM
Have a beer at each end. Sort of like Carton golf but not as far to walk.

Fishman Dan
19th September 2008, 10:05 AM
What do you do if you give up golf and discover that you're crap at lawn bowls?

Take up cycling. If you're crap at that it will dramatically (and irreversibly) cut down further options.

JustSneaky
19th September 2008, 01:18 PM
""Everyone has different reasons, playing just for 'fun' doesnt work for me. Heck I even heard of one bloke who plays just so he can look at bunkers."

"I want to get better, if I am getting worse, wheres the fun in that."

MTB,

Fair enough,...I too want to get better,however thats a grind, a personal goal which can be about as much fun as pulling teeth for me....... "Where's the fun part"

Well for me.

Friday afternoon skins!!(slegding)

Team events like 3 man ambrosses in groups of six.(heckling)

Head to head social matches.

Long drives!

long putts!

Aces!!

Freakish approaches

Having my inflated ego flattened (it's fun to see others happy too)

I could go on............

markTHEblake
20th September 2008, 11:29 PM
The target wasn't defined enough, too easy to get out of. Changed to Reach 5.0 by 31/12. Wont be able to cop out of it now.

I've played for the reasons you are playing mate and trust me you aren't missing out on much..

You say that like I don't realise something that you know.

Start gambling more. No matter how crap your playing, as long as your not as crap as your mates, it's still competitive

You might be on to something there, but Ozgolfers wont bet, except for you, and you are the biggest hustler going around.

Thats harsh. a fair response to that would be 'What crap, spoken by someone who cant win'

Minor_Threat
21st September 2008, 03:40 PM
You say that like I don't realise something that you know.
Considering I played professionally for 10 years I would say there are a few things I know about playing competitively / result oriented that you don't.. ;)

3oneday
21st September 2008, 05:15 PM
Nup, not Blakey, he's almost as switched on about all things golf as Jack.

markTHEblake
28th September 2008, 05:48 PM
31/12/2008 : If there aint a marked form reversal if dont get back to 5.0 by then, thats it, R.I.P. Golf.

Goal met: review again in 12 months.

Considering I played professionally for 10 years I would say there are a few things I know about playing competitively / result oriented that you don't.. ;)

Thats got nuthin to do with anything, where in any of this do i have aspirations of being a pro? I gave up that idea when long before I finished school

Silly comment really, Why would I not realise what I am missing out on after 25 years of playing for "my reasons". Well 28 really cos I cared more when i was improving.

BrisVegas
29th September 2008, 08:59 AM
You might be on to something there, but Ozgolfers wont bet, except for you, and you are the biggest hustler going around.

:roll:

oncewasagolfer
29th September 2008, 09:22 PM
Buggar- H'cap is 6.3 and only 0.2 away from my highest handicap in over 25 years, and its time to consider where I am going with this bloody game. I used to laugh myself stupid at G69's handicap graph going up like petrol prices, but dont I look silly now. 3.8 straight to 6.3 and no sign of stopping.

I went through a similar thing a few years back going from 3.2 out to 10 in 8 years. I thought about giving up many times but now I just accept that I am not the golfer I once was and just try and have a good time although I still take things too seriously from time to time.

I have a bowls club about 100m from my house and i will be down there in the next few years to join up - they got a huge State govt grant few years ago to do the joint up and now its luxury living and $1 pots all year round. Giddy up.

that sounds like reason enough to me. I dont think I would look too good in all white tho:shock:

Minor_Threat
29th September 2008, 09:48 PM
Goal met: review again in 12 months.

Thats got nuthin to do with anything, where in any of this do i have aspirations of being a pro? I gave up that idea when long before I finished school

Silly comment really, Why would I not realise what I am missing out on after 25 years of playing for "my reasons". Well 28 really cos I cared more when i was improving.
I have no idea what you just said?

Take my word for it, until you start enjoying the game you will see little improvement..

AndyP
30th September 2008, 07:43 AM
Chicken before the egg?

dc68
30th September 2008, 09:03 AM
Well done Blake nice round there to drag yourself back from the edge... Can you still go and play bowls though?

3oneday
30th September 2008, 09:16 AM
welcome to our world !!!

:lol:

BrisVegas
30th September 2008, 09:17 AM

Take my word for it, until you start enjoying the game you will see little improvement..

mate, here's a tip for you. Don't try and reason with blakey. :wink:

Flowergirl
30th September 2008, 11:05 AM
The majority of golfers need to learn how to flick the switch between concentration on each shot and relaxation between shots! Its just like listening to your missus (Your listening but not really!)

I think - take that back - I KNOW that this is one of my main problems ( apart from all the swing faults:shock:). I just think too much between shots. I try the obvious - chatting with my playing partners - but sometimes if I'm playing with people I don't know I don't really want to get into a conversation - women do prattle on about rubbish!!!!
Any tips would be appreciated.

Sorry for the thread hijack Blakey - but I know you don't mind cos you love me.:smt060

sms316
30th September 2008, 11:09 AM
Sorry for the thread hijack Blakey - but I know you don't mind cos you love me.:smt060
Blakey loves someone other than Blakey?
:shock:

Flowergirl
30th September 2008, 11:35 AM
Blakey loves someone other than Blakey?
:shock:

You'd love me to once you've met me. I'm simply irresisitable;)

Jarro
30th September 2008, 11:39 AM
You'd love me to once you've met me. I'm simply irresisitable;)

You ain't kiddin' :smt060=P~:smt057:smt007:smt016:smt061

sms316
30th September 2008, 11:41 AM
And Jarro is picky too...

(you are the most loveable Victorian on here FG).

Flowergirl
30th September 2008, 11:43 AM
You ain't kiddin' :smt060=P~:smt057:smt007:smt016:smt061
:smt008
Thanks Jarro - nothing like an ego boost.

PeteyD
30th September 2008, 11:44 AM
(you are the only loveable Victorian on here FG). :mrgreen:

:smt060:smt060

Bruce
30th September 2008, 01:07 PM
And Jarro is picky too...

(you are the most loveable Victorian on here FG).

:?

Jarro
30th September 2008, 02:00 PM
We'd love to love ya Bruce, but it's against Gods rules

Scottt
30th September 2008, 04:15 PM
This geriatric quit yet?

Jarro
7th October 2008, 08:39 AM
Well, in light of Blakey's recent good performance in his Club Champs ..... who else thinks this thread is now worthless ?

:roll:

3oneday
7th October 2008, 08:50 AM
Reverse psychology maybe ?

Scottt
7th October 2008, 09:26 AM
http://www.helensvalegolf.com.au/results/ClubChamps2008.html

congrats on the win Blakey.

And only four off scratch!

I guess that means he'll be hard to beat in the ozgolf virtual champs!

poidda
7th October 2008, 09:51 AM
He should be a good chance to win the seniors gross next year.

razaar
15th September 2010, 12:22 PM
Blakey

Did you have a shot at lawn bowls?

markTHEblake
15th September 2010, 06:12 PM
Not in this decade, nor the last, but thanks for bringing this up you bastard. at the rate i am going i wil be on 7 in 3 weeks and probably 8 or 9 by december, which means hanging up the boots

I am taking this seriously on a year to year basis.

oh crap, i paid 5 yrs membership in advance too.

MAZA68
16th September 2010, 10:09 PM
harden up!

TheTrueReview
16th September 2010, 10:17 PM
Anyone interested in a group buy from Bowlsmith in the US?

markTHEblake
16th September 2010, 10:20 PM
harden up!

I am trying, at least i have still got a handicap.

at least you are doing better than that other wanker, he doesnt even get off his fat bum to do anything now, except wave around those dainty white flags at the kids footy.

Anyone interested in a group buy from Bowlsmith in the US?

No need, Uncle is a professional, Dads best mates has a shop, I can get all the best stuff I need at cost.

Yossarian
16th September 2010, 10:33 PM
When you say best stuff, how much best stuff is there to buy in bowls? Just the bowls? A sweet bowl drying towel?

markTHEblake
17th September 2010, 12:24 AM
A non golfer would ask the same question about golf clubs. You can pay well over $500 for a good set of bowls, i can remember dad getting a custom made set at one point for about that albeit with a significant discount.

LeftyHoges
17th September 2010, 12:32 AM
A non golfer would ask the same question about golf clubs. You can pay well over $500 for a good set of bowls, i can remember dad getting a custom made set at one point for about that albeit with a significant discount.

Plus you need a damn good top quality polishing sock! Those things are awesome!!!

Minor_Threat
17th September 2010, 07:53 AM
You also need a Stainless Steel "you beaut" ball pick up device to save your back.

henno
17th September 2010, 07:54 AM
Purple rinses aren't cheap, you know.

LarryLong
17th September 2010, 08:26 AM
All I can think of is that scene in Crackerjack where Mick Molloy is polishing his bowls with another bloke's underpants.

sms316
17th September 2010, 08:43 AM
Plus you need a damn good top quality polishing sock! Those things are awesome!!!

Like this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi2026UTz-s

MAZA68
17th September 2010, 10:10 PM
Your very trying blakey.

MAZA68
17th September 2010, 10:25 PM
what ya need a handicap for, its all about enjoying one's self

markTHEblake
18th September 2010, 12:28 AM
I think thats all Graham does now!

Ferrins
3rd September 2016, 10:21 AM
Golf sucks!

BayBum
3rd September 2016, 02:16 PM
When you say best stuff, how much best stuff is there to buy in bowls? Just the bowls? A sweet bowl drying towel? Classic Yoss. Actual LOL !

LeftyHoges
5th September 2016, 03:24 PM
When you say best stuff, how much best stuff is there to buy in bowls? Just the bowls? A sweet bowl drying towel?

Now that I'm a little deeper in this, this is not a silly question AT ALL.

I joined last year and rolled a few down in a couple of club events (lost the B grade Champs semi-final), and 1-2 other events at rival clubs. Everyone is excited to see me playing as my old man has won many club champs / district champs / champion of champions etc, and they all want to know what bowls I'm playing....

LIKE I ****ING KNOW!?!?!

I look at the bowl and say "Oh, Taylor SRVs". Their faces light up! "Oh Wow, they're a great bowl!!!" and so on....

Disturbing.

benno_r
5th September 2016, 03:41 PM
Now that I'm a little deeper in this, this is not a silly question AT ALL.

I joined last year and rolled a few down in a couple of club events (lost the B grade Champs semi-final), and 1-2 other events at rival clubs. Everyone is excited to see me playing as my old man has won many club champs / district champs / champion of champions etc, and they all want to know what bowls I'm playing....

LIKE I ****ING KNOW!?!?!

I look at the bowl and say "Oh, Taylor SRVs". Their faces light up! "Oh Wow, they're a great bowl!!!" and so on....

Disturbing.

Are they JDM? With a reaction like that they must be.

Dotty
5th September 2016, 05:23 PM
Seeing that they are Taylor made, does this years model roll 20 metres further than last years model?

AndyP
5th September 2016, 05:37 PM
Are they left handed or right handed bowls?

I'll have a look to see what bowls and gear I have got.

markTHEblake
9th September 2016, 08:05 PM
I joined last year...
your a bit old to be taking up bowls, its a teenagers game now.

I have decided to take up an old mans sport, called seniors golf.