PDA

View Full Version : How do you hit a damn fade??

Eag's
20th November 2004, 09:26 PM
As some of you may be well aware, I have a tendancy to hit a nasty Snap Hook
At times it can be bloody frightening to witness :oops: and it seems to happen more when I am under pressure. It feels more natural for me to hit a fade, but it is a shot I find hard to repeat :smt102

I am not to sure what causes the snaps, other than my left side collapsing through the shot rather than having a strong left side through impact. My grip may need adjusting :?: I do have a tendancy to shut the club face or hood it on the way back which would be a factor.

It would be nice to visit the right side of the fairway just once in awhile :roll:
Can anyone recommend a good teaching Pro :?:
Any thoughts would be appreciated :wink:

AndyP
20th November 2004, 09:42 PM
:?: Eag's, weren't you getting coaching lessons at Nudgee?

Courty
20th November 2004, 09:42 PM
Hi Eags,

I have had problems with snap hooks in the past. We may not have the same problem, but the reason I was doing it was not keeping my hands in front of the ball at impact. To counter this, the first move I made to start the swing was to move my hands in front of the ball by leaning the shaft towards the target. Then it is just a matter of making a backswing then returning the club to the same position at impact. Does that make sense?

Eag's
20th November 2004, 09:50 PM
:?: Eag's, weren't you getting coaching lessons at Nudgee?
Yes I have been andy but it never hurts to try someone new.

Courty...that makes perfect sense mate :smt023

AndyP
20th November 2004, 10:05 PM
Courty, when are you starting the thread:
Courty's Tips: How to slash your handicap.
:wink:

it never hurts to try someone new
That's A-Lo talk, Eag's. :smt011

Courty
20th November 2004, 10:24 PM
Courty, when are you starting the thread:
Courty's Tips: How to slash your handicap.

I'm currently in negotiations to write a column for Golf Digest. :P :roll:

McMw
20th November 2004, 10:32 PM
if you're snap hooking, grip the top hand (left) harder....

this has the effect of strenghtening the forearm a little, and will try to resist any turn...

it's just a tip I got from someone...

Fishman Dan
20th November 2004, 10:40 PM
Eags, take these bits of advice on board, but go back to a coach who can watch you perpetrate these hooks.

My game started going downhill at the start of the year. By mid-year i was hooking violently, recently i have been shanking! My own issues are being caused by a weak left hand - a simple fix for me is to ensure the "V" created by the thumb/forefinger point to my right shoulder. It's working for now and i'm getting weak-fade, but i'm far from cured.

Other causes might be grip related, or standing too close to the ball? Swing path is a little outside-in, or just closing the face at impact.

Don't self-assess, for a pretty meager sum a trained eye can reveal more.

markTHEblake
20th November 2004, 11:20 PM
Eags, I find the easiest way to hit a fade, is to try and draw the ball. Works every time, expecially on dogleg left holes.

Try as many bandaid solutions as you like, if you dont mind fixing problems with problems.

Otherwise you asked the right question in the first instance, "Be wise, be pro advised"

Seek the help of Doug Kercher, www.confidentgolf.com.au

Eag's
21st November 2004, 06:18 AM
Andy, I have had a few lessons from Chris at Nudgee and have got a lot from them. The only problem is he is a hard man to catch in Brisbane as he spends a lot of time in the States looking after Scott Hend.

There is nothing wrong with trying a new coach in my opinion as they may offer a new approach. A few of the guys in here have been to some different Pro's around Brisbane so I am keen to hear their opinions.

Fishman, Blakey, and McMw thanks for the tips, I will try them out next time on the range :)

gazgolf1
21st November 2004, 06:39 AM
Geoff Smith at Willawong is very good but wrong side of town for you. :?
Nudgee had a few lessons with him and so did I a while back.

Roc
21st November 2004, 06:41 AM
Ega's,
Are you a slightly aggressive player? if so you maybe simply overtaking the ball with your body and your arms/hands are left behind (the swing is basicly over before the ball has been struck) you will close your club every time.
Take one senario out and simply make sure you stay behind the ball.
This is my problem too and my cure.
Yours Mark

goughy
21st November 2004, 08:26 AM
If you need to talk snap hooks talk to me. I've made jaster violently ill on the course watching me hit them. My biggest problem has been hitting snap hooks and big pushes, which I believe are actually related and can be caused by a similar problem.

I think the last week I may have gotten rid of it. How?
1. I don't give my self time to think anymore. I used to stand over the ball and dwell on every outcome. Now when I set up I take a look at my target, look at the ball and then start my swing as quickly as I can.
2. I have very active hands in my swing, and if my timing was off (always) they would either be open at impact or well shut. I'm actually trying to get through my swing faster, quicker backswing instead of my usual more deliberate one and back through faster. I'm trying to get through my swing before I have time to think about it.
3. While my right hand was in the correct position, my left hand was overly strong, almost showing 4 knuckles. I've squared my left hand on the club while trying to keep the right as it was (feels very weird).

Now, I know that no.3 sounds like the right option, and it is what I have been doing the longest but I was still hooking. Strangely enough my only problems were with my driver. My irons were fine.

Golfgirl
21st November 2004, 11:08 AM
How do I hit a fade?

Well.... I pick up the golf club, and that is what I hit if I don't push it, pull it, snap hook it, cold top it, shank it - or otherwise screw up the shot..... :oops: :roll:

But seriously, there are a number of reasons why you could be doing this Eags, and while I'm betting I know what the problem is, you are best off going and getting a lesson from a decent pro.... Mark Gibson is a good coach, and Blakey swears by Doug Kerchar....

markTHEblake
21st November 2004, 12:00 PM
I would kill to have the reliable hook back.

What ? all you hit is hooks, except when you try to fight it and you spray it all over the place.

Oh yeah, i get it, you want the reliability part,

I must admit you were hitting the ball quite well a couple of years ago. I seem to remember a 38 pts one day. You may well have a case of Oz0golf-itis, might need to avoid all forums apart from 19th Hole for a awhile

Golfgirl
21st November 2004, 12:10 PM
You may well have a case of Oz0golf-itis, might need to avoid all forums apart from 19th Hole for a awhile

I will confirm this diagnosis after I do a spot of 69'er watching on Tuesday..... :wink:

(Could be spending much time looking for golf balls if the spraying is as bad physically as it is verbally.... :wink: :lol: )

Iain
21st November 2004, 02:18 PM
Eag's,
You know why you hit a hook. You were telling me at the Holden scramble (I think) at Nudgee that when you first learnt you were taught to have a handsy swing, to really throw your hands at the ball. You just need to get less hand action in your swing, thats why you hook it, but also why you are long when you get onto it.

But, go see a pro, it may be hard work and take a while, but it will be worth it.

Iain

Jarro
21st November 2004, 02:54 PM
Eag's .... why don't you try one of the other pro's at Nudgee :?: there are a few guys there that are supposed to be really good teachers, i'm thinking of trying someone else out as well ..... couldn't hurt :wink:

Flowergirl
21st November 2004, 04:34 PM
You may well have a case of Oz0golf-itis, might need to avoid all forums apart from 19th Hole for a awhile

I will confirm this diagnosis after I do a spot of 69'er watching on Tuesday..... :wink:
(Could be spending much time looking for golf balls if the spraying is as bad physically as it is verbally.... :wink: :lol: )

Gee Golfgirl - where are you going on Tuesday??????????? :shock:

Iain
22nd November 2004, 12:37 AM

:lol: :lol:

macleod
22nd November 2004, 09:45 AM
eags, i think you need to come see me for a lesson.

Scott's House of the GayFade

I'll have you hitting a nice strong gayfade in no time.

First lesson
Why the upgrade is worth the money - reflections from a drive thru KFC aficionado

Second Lesson
Advanced wrist strength building - why 2 hands are better than one (visual aids courtesty of Jarro's House of Pron)

Third Lesson
How to live with less distance - why 'short right' will actually improve your short game & perfecting the art of reverse sledging

Fourth Lesson
Statistics 101 - how to recognise that courses will reward you with less OOB's and a shorter walk to find your ball in the trees with gayfades. Course layout and design tactics from g69.

Fifth Lesson
The Joy of KFC - short refresher to assist in building your ability to physically weaken during a round, resulting in better chances of the majestic gayfade.

All in all, the lesson plan can be done over a short 4 days and I will give you a nice 25% discount if you pay for the KFC yourself......

andylo
22nd November 2004, 09:49 AM
Scott my buddy, I was keep waiting for you to come :lol:

And Eag, currently I am also in Macca's same situation :)

macleod
22nd November 2004, 09:53 AM
i know my issues, i'd actually like to swap tips with eags and then maybe we can find a nice middle ground.

i know it's my...grip, swing path, turn, alignment, mental issues, expanding girth.... so a few parts i can always start with there :D

gawd, some backpacker stole the office's full cream milk this morning...i just can't face the day!!!!!

Eag's
22nd November 2004, 10:12 AM
Macca Wrote
All in all, the lesson plan can be done over a short 4 days and I will give you a nice 25% discount if you pay for the KFC yourself......

Mate even with the 25% discount it would still cost me an arm and a leg the way you eat :P actualy I better watch where I put my limbs in case you mistake them for something on the menu :smt106

macleod
22nd November 2004, 10:15 AM
well we do taste like pork after all.....long pik and all ;)

mmmm....eags, could you see if you can start introducing more butter, rosemary and perhaps a smidge of thyme into your diet?

AndyP
22nd November 2004, 10:42 AM
mmmm....eags, could you see if you can start introducing more butter, rosemary and perhaps a smidge of thyme into your diet?
That's gotta be worthy of the DOB button, doesn't it? :shock: