PDA

View Full Version : Am I too Sensitive ?

Keza_G
20th November 2004, 08:24 PM
As you all know, I have just been to America and came back with a good showing, I thought... I have copped alot of sand kickers laughing at me and telling me various luid comments eg... "We did all that fundraising, and you didn't even win... When are you gonna pay it back?"

I thought, yeah funny, but now 3weeks back and it's not funny any more yet it still continues...I have begun to sink into a shell..... today's golf didn't help... Got up early this morning, after our presentation night last night (where I swept the floor - Club Champ, Best Gross by 31 strokes & Best Nett by 15 strokes, Matchplay champ)and went to Emerald Lakes for an early mornin' training with ROC. This was great... we both worked out a few things and ROC gave me a putting lesson.....which unfortunately did not help much.

Then at around 10.30 we hit off and played in a 4bbb aggregate Stableford with my hubby... the B#*tard shoots 1 over after not playing for about 10 weeks... Meanwhile I had 11 over and putted like an idiot.... Combined we had 73pts...Scott being off 4 had 39pts on his own...

So in a depressed type of mood I told Scott that I think I'm playing too much golf and that I want to quit altogether.... A particular member said something like " .......F*#cken Loser..." to me and laughed and Scott wanted to tear into him, but we thought we were better than that.

So we are considering changing clubs as our membership runs up in January 2005... Are there A**holes like this everywhere or do they all belong to my club.... I'm getting very depressed over the whole matter and am considering quitting golf to get away from it.......

am I too sensitive ? What do you do when you are surrounded by people like this.... Please help.... depressed about golf.... I love it but I can't enjoy it at the moment...

Cheers

Keza_G

TS
20th November 2004, 08:44 PM
Keza

Don't let a few arseholes get to you, that would mean they won. Anyone that call a woman "F*#cken Loser" deserve to be punch in the mouth.

I think you did very well and should be proud of your achievements. They are probably jealous because you are a much better than golfer than they are.

For anyone that can practice putting for 3 hours, putting will eventually come good.

Joining a new club may not be the answer. They will always be a few idiots around in every club.

Take a few days off from golf and see how you feel.

TonyS

davidp
20th November 2004, 09:29 PM
Keza,

As TS said, there are a$$wipes wherever you go. Some of them like to spread their brand of crap around a little bit more than others.

I think what you are encountering is the infamous Australian "tall poppy" syndrome. Whenever someone is doing well, there is a irresistable impulse in others to criticise them and bring them down to their level. Don't listen to the naysayers.

"It is not the critic who counts, not the one who points out how the strong man stumbled or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

I know it's hard right now. Don't let anybody steal your goal, your dream away from you.

Point out firmly to the disagreeable members that you consider their behaviour harassment and will gladly take it to the club captain, president, or the Equal Opportunity Commission. I don't think there would have been any contractual expectation for you to pay fundraising money back, nor should there be any moral obligation. We don't write to the Cancer Council asking for our $10 back because they haven't found a cure yet.

Never, never, never, never, never, never give up.

Fishman Dan
20th November 2004, 10:35 PM
2 great answers there Keza, i'm not in their league. ;)

About old mate who had nothing more than abuse - just stinks of jealousy. You're better than that, and better than smacking him in the teeth.

A clever sledge would have been more appropriate, but even then they've got no right to outwit until they can out-play.

As an aside, in other sports such as basketball i always liked to be sledged/abused, because it makes beating that opponent that much sweeter!

markTHEblake
20th November 2004, 11:41 PM
Keza, I am pretty happy with the mob at Emerald Lakes, Lots of sledging and a good team working there, including whatshername who is a Qld state rep.

Also whatshisname works there who is the vice captain or something like that at your club.

Its late and i cant remember names but he plays #2 in your pennant team, handicap about 1, last name Willis maybe?

does your husband scott play pennants for GCCC? cos each time i played against them, i upset someone. Hope it wasnt him?

Maybe you copped some tall poppy syndrome, but maybe it was just some sledging that came out really wrong. Its hard to suck it in when stuff like this happens, but you gotta accept that your gunna have some triple bogies on and off the course sometimes.

You always have the last laugh you know, with an armfull of trophies, its doesnt sound like you have a loser gene in you at all.

cazandpaul
21st November 2004, 05:57 AM
Keza - it seems to me you are too good a golfer to let a few morons ruin your desire - golf clubs are the same the world over - Caz plays business ladies on a Saturday morning and some of the crap they put up with from supposedly mature males is amazing.

Get away and play a few different courses around the Coast - there are great people about.

Keza_G
21st November 2004, 07:11 AM
RE : Blakey :"Keza, I am pretty happy with the mob at Emerald Lakes, Lots of sledging and a good team working there, including whatshername who is a Qld state rep. " & "Also whatshisname works there who is the vice captain or something like that at your club." & "does your husband scott play pennants for GCCC? cos each time i played against them, i upset someone. Hope it wasnt him?

I believe you mean Belinda Kerr & Dan Willis..... by the way Dan is not Vice Captain..... I am.... and Yes Scott played pennant for them but they don't like Scott at GCCC because he beats all their top players and yet doesn't have the time to practice... He has beaten the #1 player Shane Wylie before & knocked Dan Willis, our club champ & #2 pennant, out of the Match play and then lost the next round because he was sick.

Thank you all for your kind words.... I'm trying to "get over it" but I am coming to the realisation that I am a bit too sensitive... I am very emotional and continuing to "keep my head above the water" can be a little difficult sometimes.. I shall keep working on it but may still leave GCCC.....I am also a member at Windaroo and am thinking of making this my home club and leave GCCC when my membership expires...

Cheers

Kez_G[/list][/list]

Golfgirl
21st November 2004, 11:24 AM
Keza,

Keep your chin up and ignore the sledgers.... I know this is easier said than done, but this goes on at all levels of golf - top to bottom.... you will need to develop thicker skin.

Take a few days away and have a little mental and physical rest. As for the club situation - can't comment as I'm not from the Gold Coast, but it doesn't sound too much different than what I have heard at other golf clubs.

In my experience, this sort of behavious is largely triggered by jealousy - you're obviously a very good golfer - let your clubs do the talking.

markTHEblake
21st November 2004, 11:56 AM
Keza, I am trying to imagine who Scott is?
From this years side, I remember, Shane, I know Dan and Nathan whom i used to work with. Then there is two blokes with the same name? I upset one of them this year (not my fault he dont know rules), the other one might be Seth Effriken, I upset some other bloke last year (not my fault he took the flagstick out when i like it left in ) and there is a bloke with dark hair and moustache who played about #4.

I have played the last 6 years at no 6 or 7, so i am sure i have met Scott somewhere along the line. Though I must admit the CC boys dont tend to mix for a beer after the game.

Flowergirl
21st November 2004, 04:23 PM
Yes Kezza - you are being too sensitive. I can say that cos you sound a lot like me. Even though I haven't acheived anything nearly as good as you have - I am relatively new to my club and have won quite a lot of events and dropped my handicap pretty quickly. A lot of the women and even the men - those who have never done anything in their lives except simper in the corner- resent what I have acheived ( again which is nothing by your standards). Also - even though I'm in my 40's - they regard me as young???? and brash - cos I am :D
Don't let the ba%$tards get to you Kez. Those that are giving you a hard time don't know you and are petty and jealous. Hold your head high girl and give it your best.
You're probably on a bit of a downer up to what must have been a huge build up also. Also the fact that you're a young Mum with huge responabilties there.
Have a bex and a cuppa tea and a good lie down. All will be better in the morning. :wink:

markTHEblake
21st November 2004, 04:48 PM
Ok we got the name, age, career, all sorts of preferences. Not much left to hide now, except your middle name.

Flowergirl
22nd November 2004, 08:32 AM
Ok we got the name, age, career, all sorts of preferences. Not much left to hide now, except your middle name.

Preferences????????????? By the way no middle name. 4th daughter - parents ran out of ideas :cry:

amanda
22nd November 2004, 09:40 AM
Hey Kez - I think it's a particular type of woman that is a member of a golf club these days - because we always seem to have to put up with a lot of crap from the men! I think it's only because they are afraid of what they don't know. I'd like to see them take the fundraised money and do better at the World Champs - I'll bet that 99% of people are super-proud (like I am) that you made it into the top 16 - especially after only 1 year at LD.

I would invite the obnoxious guy to a driving range shootout at noon - I bet he wouldn't show :wink:

And even champions have to have a bad round now and then - and as for the putting, have you read Bob Rotella's books? They are fantastic - PM me if you want to borrow them - best thing ever to help my putting.

Bottom line - you know you're great, we know you're great, the LD community knows you're great - don't worry about one bozo :smt098

Flowergirl
22nd November 2004, 09:49 AM
Bottom line - you know you're great, we know you're great, the LD community knows you're great - don't worry about one bozo :smt098

You go girlfriend!!!! ( sorry - been watching too much Idol) :D

Ducky
23rd November 2004, 04:44 AM
*walks through with a 'make my dinner' t-shirt*

:P

Seriously though, I can't really contribute much more than what has already been said. But you could show him exactly why you're on the long drive circuit with a demonstration of a DRIVER TO THE FACE!

:D

Kind regards,

Ben (Ducky).